• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
where you're making a blanket statement about most games sucking and being much worse than the games you praise so much.

That was very elitist of me, that's my bad.
I must remember that even though I really don't like the games on iOS and the App Store (mostly because there are a lot of clones that've been causing some damage for non-clone games by making apple backed-up on the review end side of things, delaying the release of some games by weeks.) someone else may enjoy them, and so I really shouldn't have said that 99% of games suck.

No, there aren't. If you don't enjoy these games, why would you waste your time with one? Unless you want to try and see if you can get into one of these games, there's nothing to gain by doing this. Though you specifically sayd "3D shooter level design", not "3D shooter games in general", but I believe your point was referring to the latter; please correct me if I'm wrong.
I really do believe that "Even if you don't care about 3D shooter level design" there is something that you could find of interest in Doom, like what ToddHunter said, the music is really good so you could get a very worthwhile experience out of Doom by just playing the game and see how the music helps create an atmosphere in combination with the enemy designs and how the gameplay works.

I know some people have argued that you should be able to talk to the imps and doom and have the ability to reason with them instead of your only option being "shoot them" but I think that's part of the charm of Doom that is rarely seen and one of the reasons why I believe it to be a game everyone should play before they die.

It's a game that when you play it you can tell this is something that the developers really put their soul into, from playing doom you can really get a glimpse into the creators, they played DnD(certain enemies in Doomhave designs that are similar to enemies in DnD) they listened to rock songs(This has been somewhat a point of controversy with some people saying that iD stole the songs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IXNpPhfk1s ) and to stop my rambling there I'm just going to say it was a gaming about shooting things, and that really feels like that is what iD wanted it to be, and maybe it's nostalgia talking but I feel that you can really tell that the developers loved making the game(okay, that's almost certainly nostalgia, I'm sure they had a lot of sleepless nights, haha)

See? You're putting people in arbitrary categories by holding some games to arbitrary standards. There's no reason to someone who hasn't played Doom, because not everyone has played the same games as you, nor wants so. Nor should they. Taste is a personal matter, and what's a classic game for someone can be a hideous piece of poop for someone else, or completely uninteresting.
Yeah, reading that back, that was awfully rude of me calling people like Accent a casual(Sorry, mate)

But as for the arbitrary standard, you're right, it totally is, it's just that since I liked doom and such, I think other people should play them, I don't think that my opinion on me wanting people to play Doom will change, to put it in less offensive terms than before, if you don't want to play Doom, that's fine, but I'll still want you to play Doom even if you don't want to because I think Doom is swell.

To be honest, I don't even know why I am discussing this, lol. You're not being aggressive and I'm probably missing your point, so I should shut up now.
It's cool man, I didn't get my point across correctly(still not sure if i have, haha) so it's cool that we're discussing it since now I can try to explain things better.

Hanzou

Had a question about the Mac Steam client:

Does it get all up in your OS' biz like the Windows client?

By that I mean, you know...On PC, Steam wants to load when you boot, and it puts an icon in the taskbar, and just makes itself at home all over the place.

Is it the same on OS X?

This is such an odd Post, none of these things are very annoying if at all and all are easily turned on and off.

So how is Luftrausers? I'm thinking of picking that up along with Volgarr or Rogue Legacy. Any quick impressions would be great.

All 3 are great. You can't go wrong with any of them as far as I'm concerned.

ARPGs are probably more your thing then.

Have you tried any SRPGs?

Hmmm... that's an interesting question if someone doesn't like/was bored by JRPGs (final fantasy in particular)..

Read Masters of Doom, they absolutely loved making the game. Romero loved playing it, too. Maybe too much. Adrian Carmack even got to make all the gory scenes he was desperate to work on after slogging through the Keen games.

I think what you're getting at is that Doom is clearly a labor of love from start to finish. And few games now have that feel. Which is true. Many games are very cynical, even good ones. But we're in an era where labors of love by small teams are actually capable of making money again, so Doom wasn't the last of its kind after all.
I really do need to read Masters of Doom, once I've scrounged up enough cash, I'll see if I can get it off of Amazon or something.

And yeah, that's exactly it.
Doom is a labor of love, that really only became apparent to me when I played RAGE, RAGE couldn't decide what it wanted to be about, but Doom knew exactly what it wanted to be and that's what made it so great(I think Tom Hall originally wanted the game to have more story but the rest of the team decided against that)

I am very pleased that games that people want to make are able to do so and are also able to make a profit, that's something that is really fantastic and something I really hope is a continuing trend.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Glad to see Namco is being rewarded for their work. They really should have had a Steam pop up planned that gave some more information.

Nqz57tq.png
I can finally buy this game!
Thanks Scamco for getting rid of GFWL :D

Nah. I tried a bunch of Final Fantasies and didn't like a single one, except for Theatrhythm (which is a spin-off so it doesn't count). I'm never touching one of those games again, significant or not.
You should give FFVIII a chance as it is the best one. The story is kinda garbage, but it has the best gameplay in the series by far.

It seems Valve finally gave the gifting/trading flag its own notification:

Previously it just used the OARIC one:

Edit: Although Age of Mythology is in fact region-locked up the wazoo:
Yeah, just saw it on the Ace Combat page. Still bullshit, but saves the trip to SteamDB to check.

Anteater

That typically means a bunch of processes are running, eating RAM & resources. But you go boy. You got it.

I don't remember if it's defaulted to run at start up like in windows, but you should be able to turn it off in system preference or the client, mine doesn't launch on start up on my osx

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A list of the newly-greenlit stuff that has been bundled can be found here. Previous batches (note that these aren't kept up-to-date because that would be a ridiculous amount of work):

- (2014) March 19th batch
- (2014) March 4th batch
- (2014) February 19th batch
- (2014) February 5th batch
- (2014) January 21st batch
- (2014) January 7th batch
- (2013) December 4th batch
- (2013) November 12th batch
- (2013) October 29th batch
- (2013) October 16th batch
- (2013) October 2nd batch (McDroid, Vox and Zombies were also IndieGameStand deals)
- (2013) September 18th batch (both games were also IndieGameStand deals)
- (2013) August 28th batch

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has anybody else bought the current Flying Bundle and not received an e-mail? I've triple-checked the e-mail address I provided and it's correct, and I received a confirmation e-mail from Google Wallet so the payment went through.

Edit: They arrived (I bought the bundle twice, just in case).

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Who wants some Desura keys?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
Hippocampal (Desura) -- MB-B8E38474D6CC6724
ulgzbKC.png
QBQBQB (Desura) -- MB-C3CB4702C1C30A2D
ulgzbKC.png
BlindSide (Desura) -- MB-340CA61E184784BF - Taken by alr1ght. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Raiden Legacy, The Return (Desura) -- MB-23BAA3A9C08735F7 - Taken by natertots. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Heroes of Steel (Desura) -- MB-8A6F6A0C7EF4332B - Taken by cardinalmind. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Arson & Plunder (Desura) -- MB-A07EE46C82BD7466

t1396591477z1.png

Salsa

RE:Revelations is great

it's very clearly a handheld game but I kinda like that cause it's all very arcadey and in chunks. Feels more like older Resident Evil too.

zkylon

zkylewd
ah man playing shadowrun returns is such a tiresome thing.

like i had forgotten how much you could feel how it was designed for tablets first, but like it's a trainwreck on pc

at least you can quicksave but ugh

Salsa

downloading dat goat

was gonna go to bed but I think im just gonna create some big picture goat madness

also giving Air another shot cause I read the scrolling got better... still not as smooth as Metro

qTZMcUG.png

Goat Simulator is a ton of stupid fun. I discovered that anything to take with you into the shrink/growth chamber changes size along with you, so I took the boulder of death in there and was going nuts with it. :D Stacking abilities is strange though. spawning peasants, creating a gravity vortex, and jetpacking all on the same button is a little weird.

-MD-

RE:Revelations is great

it's very clearly a handheld game but I kinda like that cause it's all very arcadey and in chunks. Feels more like older Resident Evil too.

I'm playing through it now currently too and am enjoying it, it controls like modern RE but has older RE elements, I wish they would go even further with it and really bring back the horror and puzzles. It's like 70/30 (modern/classic), I want it to be like 30/70 xD

It's much more enjoyable than RE 5/6 to me.

Salsa

im still looking forward to playing RE6 afterwards cause it seems mechanically fun with the diving and all

and the only real complaint I had about RE5 was stupid Sheva AI. Game gets a bad rep just cause it followed one of the best games ever made.

I'm playing through it now currently too and am enjoying it, it controls like modern RE but has older RE elements, I wish they would go even further with it and really bring back the horror and puzzles. It's like 70/30 (modern/classic), I want it to be like 30/70 xD

It's much more enjoyable than RE 5/6 to me.

It's great, but I tried raid mode last night and couldn't find a partner :(

I'm still waiting for capcom to put that game on sale and not just the DLCs..

this too, I'd bite on RE6 for $10. Seems like a game that would really benefit from m/kb

legend166

So I've never played an Ace Combat game. I have $9.63 in Steam credit. I think I'd enjoy a flight combat game. Should I get it?

im still looking forward to playing RE6 afterwards cause it seems mechanically fun with the diving and all

and the only real complaint I had about RE5 was stupid Sheva AI. Game gets a bad rep just cause it followed one of the best games ever made.
I'm still amazed Resident Evil 5 is capcom's best selling game EVER.
I thought'd it be Street Fighter for sure...but nope!
Resident Evil 5, sold something like 30 million copies or so.

Insane.

Nabs

Goat Simulator
ibq1EnmldlhgoU.png

My second perfect game. The other is probably Black Ops MP with 3 whole achievements.

Tizoc

So I've never played an Ace Combat game. I have $9.63 in Steam credit. I think I'd enjoy a flight combat game. Should I get it?

FYI Assault Horizon doesn't play like the traditional Ace Combat games.
HOWEVER, you could still enjoy it if you take it for what it is, and I really liked the action and combat for the most part.
I also liked flying through the skies of Dubai XP

Knurek

Still in a mood for auto-platformers, I guess.

Started Prince of Persia (2008). My third playthrough, first one with Nolan North though (got the retail Polish versions with god-awful dubbing, played through it twice either way).

Game looks absolutely stunning, has a rock-solid 60fps (768p, high details, SMAA injected), and honestly... I don't understand the amount of hate the game gets. It's not that different from Sands of Times games, way more interactive than other auto-platformers, has a non-dumb story, and most important - no Uplay.

Yeah I put RE6 on my wishlist. High level play look like Vanquish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom