• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So far I've played 3 hours of Age of Wonders 3 and I'm really enjoying it. Having never played a previous AoW the closest points of comparison I have are Civ V, Fallen Enchantress (which I did not enjoy but probably need to give another chance) and the demo of Might & Magic VI: Heroes (which I enjoyed but didn't buy because of uPlay and I think it has some sort of terrible drm).

AoW3 is lot like Might & Magic VI and Fallen Enchantress--a turn-based strategy game that is split between empire building and combat--but it has a delicious hex grid like Civ V. The game alternates between the empire management on the overworld map and a strategic combat mode when you engage neutrals over resource tiles or enemy units for cities and defensive structures.

I'm playing through the tutorial campign as the elven council so it's probably a stoopid babey mode. I'm continually on the offencive and generally have an overwhelming force and kind of have to go out of my way to lose, which I did once or twice. They're really just trying to show you the different kinds of units, introducing you to empire management and so on with this campaign. The game is really accessible, I've found it to be easy to get into and anytime you have a question about what a unit is, what spells are being cast, there's the Tome of Wonders to answer all of your questions.

Game is looking to be pretty ace so far.
Nice write-up and pics. The overworld map in particular looks gorgeous.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lords of Shadow 2...what a disappointment. Why they changed up the formula (no more fixed camera, terrible stealth sections, modern day setting) from the first so much, I'll never know. It was playable, but quite a slog.

I still found it superior to Mirror of Fate in spite of the modern day stuff being varying levels of bad.

Nabs

The m/kb fix for Dark Souls is not bad. I can't get DS4 to work properly with it, so this will do. :D

Are you using the DS4 driver that lets you disable dinput? I don't have a DS4 (yet?), but that sounds like something that should work.

def sim

Are you using the DS4 driver that lets you disable dinput? I don't have a DS4 (yet?), but that sounds like something that should work.

Yeah, I have "hide controller" checked in settings and it's still not working properly for me. RE4 and Dark Souls are the only games to be giving it trouble.

The m/kb fix for Dark Souls is not bad. I can't get DS4 to work properly with it, so this will do. :D

I had to put some x360ce thing in my Dark Souls folder to get it to work. Took me a couple hours of screwing with different solutions, but it's still better than playing Souls on m/kb

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was hoping that the lack of Uplay mention on the Steam store page meant that it would be uplay free, but I think they'll just add that important information once the game releases.

Uplay is mandatory for internally-developed titles as per corporate policy. The obvious exception is Origins but it bombed so don't expect another "test".

I feel this is worthy to post in here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795830

MP for a lot of games is going to be dead that day.

This explains Sega's recent fiddling with the original Dawn of War games, as suspected.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
They're games that should be on everyone's bucketlist, imo.
Even if you don't like them, you should play it just because of the significance they've had on gaming, it's like Final Fantasy 7 or Doom, even if you're not into that genre of games, it's just something you should play, eventually.
Nah. I tried a bunch of Final Fantasies and didn't like a single one, except for Theatrhythm (which is a spin-off so it doesn't count). I'm never touching one of those games again, significant or not.

def sim

I had to put some x360ce thing in my Dark Souls folder to get it to work. Took me a couple hours of screwing with different solutions, but it's still better than playing Souls on m/kb

I'll probably give it another go. I've followed the directions exactly as it's written here, but maybe I managed to bungle something up along the way. I'll uninstall and re-install everything to be sure.

Anyway, the m/kb fix really isn't bad. A little slow on the turn relative to my motions, but playing the entire game should be doable. Ornstein/Smough and the four kings might be a little awkward, if I had to guess. I have high hopes for DS2 supporting the control scheme well.

Nah. I tried a bunch of Final Fantasies and didn't like a single one, except for Theatrhythm (which is a spin-off so it doesn't count). I'm never touching one of those games again, significant or not.
Well if you at least tried them, that's fine.
When I say bucket list I don't mean finish all of them, I mean just give them a try.

And you did that, so that's fine in my books. :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well if you at least tried them, that's fine.
When I say bucket list I don't mean finish all of them, I mean just give them a try.

And you did that, so that's fine in my books. :)
I still don't agree with you. It doesn't matter that they are classics; if one doesn't care about those genres they have all the rights in the world not to try them. And I wouldn't think less of them as gamers.

Besides, your categories are as arbitrary as they can be. Who gets to say which game is a must-play?

You tried 9?
Hell if I know. I tried a GB one, a SNES one (think it was US 2 or 3; the oldest one on Wii VC), an Android port of one (3 or 4) and a PS1 one (no idea which, and I don't care; played it for about 20 minutes and got so bored that the very next day I returned the game to the guy who had lent it to me).

As I said, the only FF I ever enjoyed was Theathrythm. And that was despite the FF references, not because.

Backlogger

GameAgent.com is having a 100,000 member exclusive sale with daily deals starting today. They are a Mac gaming store but a lot of their titles grant Steam keys that work for both PC and Mac. You definitely need to be a member to get these deals as they are only available from your dashboard logged in but you don't have to have been one of the first 100,000 members. Just log in or create a new account to see the deals.

Thursday/Today's deals:
Borderlands 2 - 75% OFF
Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition - 75% OFF
Borderlands 2 - Season Pass - 75% OFF

Friday, April 4:
BioShock Infinite - 75% OFF
BioShock Infinite - Season Pass - 75% OFF

Saturday, April 5:
Civilization IV - 75% OFF
Civilization IV: The Complete Edition - 75% OFF
Civilization V - 75% OFF
Civilization V: The Complete Edition - 75% OFF
Civilization V: Gods and Kings - 75% OFF
Civilization V: Brave New World - 75%

Sunday, April 6:
Call of Duty: Black Ops - 50% OFF (NOT STEAMPLAY, MAC ONLY!)
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Rezurrection Pack - 50% OFF (NOT STEAMPLAY, MAC ONLY!)
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Annihilation & Escalation Pack - 50% OFF (NOT STEAMPLAY, MAC ONLY!)

Monday, April 7:
No Steam Keys

Tuesday, April 8:
Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - 75% OFF
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - 75% OFF
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - 75% OFF
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition - 75% OFF

Wednesday, April 9:
No Steam Keys

Thursday, April 10:
No Steam Keys

Friday, April 11:
Tomb Raider - 20% OFF

Saturday, April 12 (Encore):
Borderlands 2 - 75% OFF
Civilization V - 75% OFF
Call of Duty: Black Ops - 50% OFF

Sale ends Saturday April 12

Some of these are :meh: but some are pretty good. For example, I am tempted to get Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition for 75% off ($5)

I still don't agree with you. It doesn't matter that they are classics; if one doesn't care about those genres they have all the rights in the world not to try them. And I wouldn't think less of them as gamers.

The issue is you might not like the RPG genre, which is fine, but if you have only played Dragon Age 2 you might not have the full picture.

By trying the best of the best, you will at least know for sure that the genre isn't for you.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The issue is you might not like the RPG genre, which is fine, but if you have only played Dragon Age 2 you might not have the full picture.

By trying the best of the best, you will at least know for sure that the genre isn't for you.
But what if I end up liking DA2? In fact, I plan on giving DAO a chance, and if I enjoy it then I can play the sequel too (got it for free on Origin).

Guess I don't like this idea of only being a true gamer if you tried every title that someone considers a classic and a must-play. Yeah, Deus Ex is a classic. And yeah, I tried it last year and loved it a lot. But if you're not into FPSs or RPGs or games that allow you to tackle problems via different solutions or cyberpunk settings or kick-ass soundtracks, then I don't think you'll find much enjoyment in this game and you should probably skip it and spend your time with something else.

Mind you, I've also been guilty of thinking the same, but now I realize there's no point in considering some games indispensable. There's a crapton of choice out there, there's absolutely no reason at all to be constrained by some arbitrary list of "greatest hits" titles.

Lunaniem

Doesn't look like it. While there have been a few updates, all of the private branches are older than the public branch. Classic Capcom.

They did add Steam achievements couple days ago though that aren't working yet, weird they don't list any updating going on though since I assume those would mean something is going on.

Tizoc

Lords of Shadow 2...what a disappointment. Why they changed up the formula (no more fixed camera, terrible stealth sections, modern day setting) from the first so much, I'll never know. It was playable, but quite a slog.

The fixed camera was one of the things players DIDN'T like in LoS1, and the ending of the first game already hinted that there would be modern era settings.
Stealth sections should've just been the very first area, but I agree they weren't very good.

The magic of the 360 triggers.

I can't wait to see what kind of numbers Goat Simulator pulls. I have friends who are listed around #160,000 on leaderboards.

You are now the only friend above me in that cursed Nyan GOAT simulation simulator.
I hate that it has it's own music that plays over the game music.

GameAgent.com is having a 100,000 member exclusive sale with daily deals starting today. They are a Mac gaming store but a lot of their titles grant Steam keys that work for both PC and Mac. You definitely need to be a member to get these deals as they are only available from your dashboard logged in but you don't have to have been one of the first 100,000 members. Just log in or create a new account to see the deals.

Thursday/Today's deals:
Borderlands 2 - 75% OFF
Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition - 75% OFF
Borderlands 2 - Season Pass - 75% OFF

Friday, April 4:
BioShock Infinite - Season Pass - 75% OFF

Saturday, April 5:
Civilization IV - 75% OFF
Civilization IV: The Complete Edition - 75% OFF
Civilization V - 75% OFF
Civilization V: The Complete Edition - 75% OFF
Civilization V: Gods and Kings - 75% OFF
Civilization V: Brave New World - 75%

Sunday, April 6
Call of Duty: Black Ops - 50% OFF
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Rezurrection Pack - 50% OFF
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Annihilation & Escalation Pack - 50% OFF

I can post the deals for the next few days but I want to double check if they are Steam keys first. Sale ends Saturday April 12

What a shame that Black Ops is the only non SteamPlay CoD game.

Besides, your categories are as arbitrary as they can be. Who gets to say which game is a must-play?
Friends? Colleagues? Us?
I think games should be on someones bucket list because I think they're great.
Or that someone should experience a game because I believe it's had a huge impact on gaming, they're allowed to disagree and not want to play it, but I'll still think they should play it.

That's really all it is, it's me recommending a game(SS2, T2, DX, okay gameS) I think someone(Accent) should play.

Ezalc

Hell if I know. I tried a GB one, a SNES one (think it was US 2 or 3; the oldest one on Wii VC), an Android port of one (3 or 4) and a PS1 one (no idea which, and I don't care; played it for about 20 minutes and got so bored that the very next day I returned the game to the guy who had lent it to me).

As I said, the only FF I ever enjoyed was Theathrythm. And that was despite the FF references, not because.

Well at least you seemd to try the ones some people tend to consider as the best, if it's not for you that's that.

EDIT:
Well shit, that borderlands 2 is looking mighty tempting. Feel more like trading for it than anything but damn....

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The fixed camera was one of the things players DIDN'T like in LoS1, and the ending of the first game already hinted that there would be modern era settings.
Stealth sections should've just been the very first area, but I agree they weren't very good.

I am a player and much preferred the fixed camera, ala God of War. Makes it much easier to concentrate on the action and not babysitting their "smart" camera.

JaseC

They did add Steam achievements couple days ago though that aren't working yet, weird they don't list any updating going on though since I assume those would mean something is going on.

Ah, so they did. Apparently the PS3 descriptions were used:

E.D.N. III Unveiled
Unlock all Trophies.

But I can't unlock trophies on Steam, Capcom!

Garcia

ModBot said:
Takers Keepers!

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Super Hexagon -- MB-94078B9783B72A67 - Taken by Alduin
Natural Selection 2 -- MB-08CB3EB35916FD4D - Taken by jmizzal

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Friends? Colleagues? Us?
I think games should be on someones bucket list because I think they're great.
Or that someone should experience a game because I believe it's had a huge impact on gaming, they're allowed to disagree and not want to play it, but I'll still think they should play it.

That's really all it is, it's me recommending a game(SS2, T2, DX, okay gameS) I think someone(Accent) should play.
But do you see what you're saying now? Now you're presenting this as personal opinion, when before you stated it in absolute terms. I certainly can agree with the fact that you think these games are worth trying, but not with stuff like this:

Even today, games like Doom are better than the majority of stuff released(Although to be fair, 99% of all games released are complete junk, iOS and the Google Play store confirmed that for me lol)
where you're making a blanket statement about most games sucking and being much worse than the games you praise so much.

Or this:
Even if you don't care about 3D shooter level design, there are elements at play that make them worthwhile experiences
No, there aren't. If you don't enjoy these games, why would you waste your time with one? Unless you want to try and see if you can get into one of these games, there's nothing to gain by doing this. Though you specifically sayd "3D shooter level design", not "3D shooter games in general", but I believe your point was referring to the latter; please correct me if I'm wrong.

But like you say, if you don't really care about history or anything and are just a casual then you can be forgiven for not wanting to play Doom(Well, I'd forgive you for not wanting to play it, but others probably won't, haha)
See? You're putting people in arbitrary categories by holding some games to arbitrary standards. There's no reason to someone who hasn't played Doom, because not everyone has played the same games as you, nor wants so. Nor should they. Taste is a personal matter, and what's a classic game for someone can be a hideous piece of poop for someone else, or completely uninteresting.

To be honest, I don't even know why I am discussing this, lol. You're not being aggressive and I'm probably missing your point, so I should shut up now.

Do it, DA:O is one of the best Bioware RPGs I've every played.
Better than Mass Effect? (yes, I consider the first one a TPS/RPG hybrid). It certainly looks interesting, so I'll try to at least start it in the near future.

Echoplx

Thanks for the heads up, been looking for a good deal on the Bioshock season pass.

Grief.exe

Tuesday, April 8:
Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - 75% OFF
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - 75% OFF
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - 75% OFF
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition - 75% OFF

My wait for Republic Commando to go on sale continues.

ARPGs are probably more your thing then.

Have you tried any SRPGs?

Better than Mass Effect? (yes, I consider the first one a TPS/RPG hybrid). It certainly looks interesting, so I'll try to at least start it in the near future.
Well, story wise, it's still the old "Let's unite different factions and defeat the evil at the end" Bioware formula, however, the character's writing are much more deeper than Mass Effect, and the teammates interact with each other through banters all the time. The combat is highly strategic and customizeable, not to mention mod support!

zkylon

zkylewd
But do you see what you're saying now? Now you're presenting this as personal opinion, when before you stated it in absolute terms. I certainly can agree with the fact that you think these games are worth trying, but not with stuff like this:

where you're making a blanket statement about most games sucking and being much worse than the games you praise so much.

Or this:

No, there aren't. If you don't enjoy these games, why would you waste your time with one? Unless you want to try and see if you can get into one of these games, there's nothing to gain by doing this. Though you specifically sayd "3D shooter level design", not "3D shooter games in general", but I believe your point was referring to the latter; please correct me if I'm wrong.

See? You're putting people in arbitrary categories by holding some games to arbitrary standards. There's no reason to someone who hasn't played Doom, because not everyone has played the same games as you, nor wants so. Nor should they. Taste is a personal matter, and what's a classic game for someone can be a hideous piece of poop for someone else, or completely uninteresting.

To be honest, I don't even know why I am discussing this, lol. You're not being aggressive and I'm probably missing your point, so I should shut up now.

bitch, just close your eyes and play ff7 already

natertots

So how is Luftrausers? I'm thinking of picking that up along with Volgarr or Rogue Legacy. Any quick impressions would be great.

Had a question about the Mac Steam client:

Does it get all up in your OS' biz like the Windows client?

By that I mean, you know...On PC, Steam wants to load when you boot, and it puts an icon in the taskbar, and just makes itself at home all over the place.

Is it the same on OS X?

So tempted to grab Galactic Civilizations 3 given one can get it for around 50. It's nowhere near done but the series is just so good! I need to play more of II with expansions now that I have them all on steam.

Grief.exe

By that I mean, you know...On PC, Steam wants to load when you boot, and it puts an icon in the taskbar, and just makes itself at home all over the place.

Is it the same on OS X?

You know you can turn that off right?

yd7h5r5.jpg

Is it the same on OS X?
theres a dock icon, and you can disable it from running on startup. not noticeable unless it is patching or downloading, then my whole system sort of stalls, but thats probably my old ass mac

Mairu

Is it the same on OS X?

An icon in the taskbar what an outrage!

But what if I end up liking DA2? In fact, I plan on giving DAO a chance, and if I enjoy it then I can play the sequel too (got it for free on Origin).

If you like it? You can say you found out you like RPG games because chances are you will like a better game even more.

If you don't like it? I would suggest you need to play a quality recommended title before you swear off the genre.

To me it just makes sense if you are going to keep playing games. For this reason I tried Bioshock Infinite. It wasn't for me, but at least now I know.

JaseC

It seems Valve finally gave the gifting/trading flag its own notification:

Notice: Purchases made in Russian Federation can only be added to your library if you are in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Republic of Moldova, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.

Previously it just used the OARIC one:

Notice: Purchases made in Russia and CIS countries will only be playable in Russia and CIS countries.

Edit: Although Age of Mythology is in fact region-locked up the wazoo:

onlyallowrunincountries RU AM AZ BY GE KZ KG MD RU TJ TM UZ UA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom