• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I'm still amazed Resident Evil 5 is capcom's best selling game EVER.
I thought'd it be Street Fighter for sure...but nope!
Resident Evil 5, sold something like 30 million copies or so.

Insane.
Still the best selling Capcom game though.
Not really, SF2 is still the best selling.
RE5 is at the top with 6.6M because Capcpom merged various editions (PS360+Gold Edition).
Just the SNES edition of SF2 (vanilla) sold 6.3M

I'm not here to distill fear - glitches happen and we appreciate that. Basically our systems will flag suspicious activity, but there's human intervention before decisions are made. It's usually the accumulation of several activities to be honest. But every situation is individual and different. A blanket rule and response doesn't work well. Basically, if you don't use SAM you've got nothing to worry about.
That's good to know and quite reassuring, never mind the fact that this is still a beta.
But in any case, regarding the "fear" this is basically free money, so there isn't much room to complain in the first place :p

MS on Age of Mythology's region-locking:

onlyallowruinincountries will probably be removed, as I recommended, but I imagine the gifting/trading restriction will remain in place.
This back and forth is really fun, and it's obviously MS' doing in this case (they were the pioneers with GFWL being region locked)

yeah I was in a ~~~special videogame schooool~~~

btw while I'm at it Zelda TP >>>>>> OoT \m/
TP is utter garbage, and the only way it'd be better than OoT is if the latter never existed.

iLm8HPnJSjzio.gif

Actually they're both pretty mediocre, but I also find TP the better of the two.
Love the IT Crowd.
Also, you could make a point of OoT being somewhat barebones in this day and age, but there is nothing mediocre about the game
except its framerate
, even more when you take into account its time of release and how it influenced most of gaming going forward.
TP in the other hand is worse than mediocre.

-MD-

Are playfire rewards only available that week or after new ones come out can you still do the old ones? Also where do you see all the achievements?

All the achievements and times are on the playfire blog page. Just click one of the most recent blog entries and it'll have a list.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not really, SF2 is still the best selling.
RE5 is at the top with 6.6M because Capcpom merged various editions (PS360+Gold Edition).
Just the SNES edition of SF2 (vanilla) sold 6.3M

I think the problem Capcom has with stating SF2's sales figures with any sense of absolute certainty is that there have been such a wide variety of editions across such a wide variety of systems that nailing down just what constitutes "Street Fighter 2" is a huge logistical undertaking that, really, is more trouble than its worth.

def sim

Same here. It's non transferrable though apparently and I wasn't planning on picking it up.

Well, now you have to use it. ;)

I got the same email. It looks like it expires on the 11th. I'm going to end up getting DS2 for $5 at this rate.

Hah. This is probably as good as it gets, but I'll be holding off until the very last minute. Maybe nuuvem might hook us up.

GMG has a -25% off Dark Souls 2 coupon, pretty good deal for worst game of the year/worst graphics of the year/biggest betrayal of the year (according to GAF that is) if you haven't ordered it yet!

Dr Dogg

Am I going mental or does Ace Combat say it's a Weekend Deal but is ending in a little under 1 hour and 40 minutes? That's a short weekend, a glitch or a change in policy.

Sykotik

A while back I had access to the in-home streaming service. Last night I tried to fiddle with it again and it's no longer showing the category in the options. It appears I don't have access to it anymore. Anybody know whats going on?

Grief.exe

Am I going mental or does Ace Combat say it's a Weekend Deal but is ending in a little under 1 hour and 40 minutes? That's a short weekend, a glitch or a change in policy.

The graphic on the store front says ends Monday at 10 AM Pacific.

Clicking on the actual store page says the sale ends when the store resets in an hour and a half. I would chalk it up to a glitch.

rmkFJj1.png

Im a bit disappointed that I had basically what was the whole game secrets spoiled for me. Still glad I got it even just for the fact that the mods should be insane

That sounds like it's your own fault. :p

Question about the Playfire rewards, if I already have the achievements, do I have to boot the game before I get the rewards or something?
Seems like the rewards are kinda slow with updating and probably have missed out on a bunch of rewards but gotten others.

They have some quirks with their scraper, but generally you need to have earned the achievement in the window they set forth. If it's something simple/early in the game, you could always use SAM to reset it and then go earn it again.

I didn't say great.

It helped that I didn't play the uncharted series. It's kind of like how I enjoyed Lords of Shadow because I didn't play the God of War series.

I've played and platinumed every Uncharted game. Sometimes I like the story/characters, but generally speaking, I found Tomb Raider 2013 to be equal or superior to them all. It has problems and some things that could be done better, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate can look pretty good when downsampled from higher resolutions. I think it ended up better than Assassin's Creed: Liberation visually when translated to super HD.

It can look alright, sure, but that doesn't fix the problems in the gameplay. I cannot believe how butchered their attempt at recreating the Arkham systems in 2.5D came out.

ANYONE PLAYING THIS GAME: Do yourself a favor and play on Normal. There's no achievements for difficulty and the fact that the combat is janky as hell would benefit from the "counter" indications.

I played it on hard, because I generally play the other Arkham games on said difficulty. Little did I realize how cheap the combat is. It's not actually hard at this point, but when I was attempting to get the 100x combo achievement, I kept getting to 90+ and having someone who was in the plane behind the guy I was attacking hit me when I couldn't even see his animation for the start of an attack.

I also find the 3D map hard to read (that's might vary from person to person) and sometimes it's so obvious where to go that it's not obvious at all. :lol

TP is utter garbage, and the only way it'd be better than OoT is if the latter never existed.

TP in the other hand is worse than mediocre.

I think you hit your head or something and are confusing Wind Waker with Twilight Princess.

GMG has a -25% off Dark Souls 2 coupon, pretty good deal for worst game of the year/worst graphics of the year/biggest betrayal of the year (according to GAF that is) if you haven't ordered it yet!

While I cannot comment on the core game, since I have not played it, and we cannot honestly talk about the PC version yet (there's some hope, since a lot of the downgrades seem to have been mainly in terms of lighting and textures), since we have seen absolutely nothing of it in motion since the console release -- what Namco Bandai and FROM pulled with the console release in terms of the graphical downgrade and not informing consumers before the game came out was extremely shady, IMO, and not something that should be trivialized.

Dr Dogg

A while back I had access to the in-home streaming service. Last night I tried to fiddle with it again and it's no longer showing the category in the options. It appears I don't have access to it anymore. Anybody know whats going on?

There were a fair few changes recently in the last beta client update namely disabling streaming from devices on different OSes. Also I'd double check that you're using the beta client on all machines as I've had it revert me to the release client without asking me a few times recently.

The graphic on the store front says ends Monday at 10 AM Pacific.

Clicking on the actual store page says the sale ends when the store resets in an hour and a half. I would chalk it up to a glitch.

rmkFJj1.png

Ah cheers. I'm not going loopy just yet. I don't even want it but it's a case of urgency and limited availability at a reduced price that it swaying me to put it in my cart.

HoosTrax

It's like an echo chamber of people repeatedly asking if Playfire rewards retroactively, and other people suggesting people use SAM to game the system, which is frowned upon.

Levyne

Banned
I think I'm just not going to bother with playfire. Looking up which games I should be playing in a certain window seems like a small sort of chore.

Of course if circumstances align and I get some small amount of credit, I guess that's okay.

Sykotik

There were a fair few changes recently in the last beta client update namely disabling streaming from devices on different OSes. Also I'd double check that you're using the beta client on all machines as I've had it revert me to the release client without asking me a few times recently.

Same OS and I updated both of them to latest beta. Nada. I had no luck finding anything about this on google, as well.

Edit: Was streaming in open beta at some point? Maybe that's why I was able to use it. Now it seems you need to be invited, by joining the steam group. I wasn't in it before, but I had access. Strange.

Backlogger

GMG has Banner Saga on sale!
Do I get it now or hold til it's $10 or less...

I almost paid full price for it when King was going to sue the dev for using the word "Saga" in their game title, but now that that has appeared to die down I will probably wait.

I'm a cheapstake...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How long does it usually take for you guys to get Playfire to recognize that you've unlocked certain achievements or played a game for the first time?

I've unlocked several of the award achievements over the last few days (since they got the issue resolved with my account) but I haven't got any credit for those things. The earliest ones I haven't been credited for were on Tuesday.

I understand if it takes time - I'm not complaining about that. I'm just wondering if I should be writing down each award I should be due then checking to see if it's actually been unlocked on my account. At that point, I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle.

I think you hit your head or something and are confusing Wind Waker with Twilight Princess.

No, man, TP is pretty shitty. I had more fun playing SS and that game is a textbook example on how to maximize gametime by reusing assets. TP suffers from a terrible quest, boring characters, ugly character designs (go load up TP and you'll see how bad it is in a few seconds), and it's not even close to as charming or endearing as any of the other 3d zelda games. The dungeons are good and that might be the only real pro it has going for it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's like an echo chamber of people repeatedly asking if Playfire rewards retroactively, and other people suggesting people use SAM to game the system, which is frowned upon.

Will playfire retroactively credit achievements?
Can I use SAM to game the system?
When is the upcoming sale?
Will "X" be on sale during the upcoming seasonal sale?
Is "X" game worth it? Opinions? (Usually asked of the same game at least twice)
Will some snarky asshole conjure up a list of frequently asked questions as if he is better than the people he is generalizing?

Tide comes in, tide goes out.

HoosTrax

I think I'm just not going to bother with playfire. Looking up which games I should be playing in a certain window seems like a small sort of chore.

Of course if circumstances align and I get some small amount of credit, I guess that's okay.
This is my approach to Playfire.

I'm not going to turn it into a "this is why we can't have nice things" situation by gaming the system. We're not talking about exploiting a glitch in a store run by a multi-billion dollar corporation like Origin or Amazon.

Nor am I going to interrupt what I'm currently playing to farm achievements. If the rewards happen to coincide with what I'm playing at the moment, I'll take it as a nice bonus.

How long does it usually take for you guys to get Playfire to recognize that you've unlocked certain achievements or played a game for the first time?

I've unlocked several of the award achievements over the last few days (since they got the issue resolved with my account) but I haven't got any credit for those things. The earliest ones I haven't been credited for were on Tuesday.

I understand if it takes time - I'm not complaining about that. I'm just wondering if I should be writing down each award I should be due then checking to see if it's actually been unlocked on my account. At that point, I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle.
I'm not sure, but I don't think I've gotten credit for the Type:Rider achievements from the Tuesday Humble Bundle. But I'm not sure what time zone the window started in, so I may have actually unlocked those a few hours before the rewards were announced. Oh well.

Haha, GAF echo chambers are the best!

I think that, while using SAM to unlock achievements to get rewards is frowned upon, that they should not be a problem with rusing SAM to reset achievements to re-earn them during the play period.

Would I recommend something like resetting your "completed Spec Ops on FUBAR" achievement and redoing it? Not unless you really want to play it on FUBAR again and the added incentive helps... but resetting a lot of the early game achievements and starting a new save file should be acceptable I would think.

It's not that hard, especially if you've installed their Vulcan client. :p

I don't understand why I have to wait for my HDDs to spin up when I'm booting something from my SSD.

They're teaching you that you should just boot things from your HDDs. :p

Dr Dogg

Same OS and I updated both of them to latest beta. Nada. I had no luck finding anything about this on google, as well.

Actually I'm chatting out of my arse. What the latest beta actually did was.
Hosting from Windows XP, Mac OS X and Linux is temporarily disabled

If that's not a problem for you then best thing I can suggest is to try and make a thread in the beta group:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/

slouken and a few other of the Valve guys are quite active in there and it's got quite a lot of activity and more users in the beta the last month or 2.

This is my approach to Playfire.

I'm not going to turn it into a "this is why we can't have nice things" situation by gaming the system. We're not talking about exploiting a glitch in a store run by a multi-billion dollar corporation like Origin or Amazon.

Nor am I going to interrupt what's currently playing to farm achievements. If the rewards happen to coincide with what I'm playing at the moment, I'll take it as a nice bonus.

Yup. I'm only going to bother if it's something i'm already playing, plan to play soon anyway, or if it's a simple "try X game for the first time" thing where I just have the game sitting there and it'll take all of a couple of seconds to earn.

HoosTrax

I think that, while using SAM to unlock achievements to get rewards is frowned upon, that they should not be a problem with rusing SAM to reset achievements to re-earn them during the play period.
I actually think that would frowned. Look, while they haven't restricted it in such a way yet, I think the overall intent of this beta program is to encourage people to buy games from GMG for the purpose of unlocking rewards, not necessarily to give people freebies for games they've bought elsewhere months or years ago. I don't see how that would be sustainable in the long term.

I view it in a similar light to those Amazon credits, as far as the purpose.

Freezard

All the Zelda games from TP and forward are trash, don't bother. Nintendo destroyed the series for me when they made Link right handed because of some ***** motion sensor control.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I think the problem Capcom has with stating SF2's sales figures with any sense of absolute certainty is that there have been such a wide variety of editions across such a wide variety of systems that nailing down just what constitutes "Street Fighter 2" is a huge logistical undertaking that, really, is more trouble than its worth.
That might be true, still RE5 had some updates as well, so just pilling those up but not the others is kind of unfair :p (not even the various RE4 are merged)

They have some quirks with their scraper, but generally you need to have earned the achievement in the window they set forth. If it's something simple/early in the game, you could always use SAM to reset it and then go earn it again.
Yes, use SAM if you want to get banned or something.

WW only true fault is that it's a really easy game, and that the triforce quest can be somewhat grating. WWHD fixed both apparently, so it's one of the best Zelda games now.

No, man, TP is pretty shitty. I had more fun playing SS and that game is a textbook example on how to maximize gametime by reusing assets. TP suffers from a terrible quest, boring characters, ugly character designs (go load up TP and you'll see how bad it is in a few seconds), and it's not even close to as charming or endearing as any of the other 3d zelda games. The dungeons are good and that might be the only real pro it has going for it.
I agree with most of this, except dungeons. The difficulty and design was like a Gauss bell, with Arbiter's Grounds being the high point.

ArjanN

I think the newer Rune Factory 4 and Harvest Moon: A New Beginning would actually work well as they are, mainly, 3D assets and could natively scale to higher resolutions.

I think the perfect fit would actually be Muramasa: The Demon Blade

ibuWTpJHvSMHsu.gif

I think they teased wanting to do Grand Knights History

Grand_Knights_History.jpg

(which is the same developer) although that was already quite some time ago.

I wouldn't mind Soul Sacrifice but that was part Sony I think.

Here are some spares from the latest Humble Bundles

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-E0A64ADC0976B0C8 - Taken by Mugatu. 3 entrants total.
Broken Sword 2 -- MB-9BC016ED50DDD878 - Taken by trailmix16. 2 entrants total.
Super Hexagon -- MB-584E7162BB64553F - Taken by Scipius. 1 entrants total.
Little Inferno -- MB-60F700D23E3C3285 - Taken by Ezalc. 2 entrants total.

t1396627612z1.png

Dr. Buni

Soul Sacrifice on PC would be gorgeous. Honestly, I would much rather get a Monster Hunter game, but it will never happen, so... Soul Sacrifice would be good enough.

Lunaniem

Did GMG get rid of the credit you can get by pre-ordering Dark Souls 2? I was going to use coupon + rewards to get it for cheap but I don't see it anymore.

Tizoc

I almost paid full price for it when King was going to sue the dev for using the word "Saga" in their game title, but now that that has appeared to die down I will probably wait.

I'm a cheapstake...

The Summer sale is 2 months away from now too!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Was anyone else getting auto-play ads for Aronofsky's "Noah" just 10 or so minutes ago? I was about to PM EviLore but the ad hasn't popped up since.

MikeRahl

I have a problem.

For some reason trying to talk myself into buying Bioshock 2 on PC even though I have it on PS3 because I have 1 and Infinite on my PC.

And Dozens of unplayed games in my steam library.

And I just started playing Diablo 3 for the first time

And I have been playing through all the Final Fantasy's on my Vita so by the time I would ever concievably play Bioshock there would be able to dozen other games I'd want to play.

I am pretty sure I can be strong

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have a problem.

For some reason trying to talk myself into buying Bioshock 2 on PC even though I have it on PS3 because I have 1 and Infinite on my PC.

And I have been playing through all the Final Fantasy's on my Vita so by the time I would ever concievably play Bioshock there would be able to dozen other games I'd want to play.

its also on sale every major sale if you just want it for completion sake

I have a problem.

It comes with Minerva's den, which many consider possibly the best thing bioshock. So if you don't have that then it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom