• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC mods have long been looked at as a big advantage for PC gaming, and now with paid mods it's much less so. We're essentially paying for horse armor now.

My point is that there will be always space for free and paid mods to coexists. I don't have any idea of what's the market cap though. How much is Horse Armor worth? $5/$3/$1/$0.5????

I also thing that paid Mods is better than DLC because at least the Dev is not making the game grindier just to sell you shit.

What's your point?
I don't expect anything. I don't expect free games but there are free games, as I don't expect free books that also are available, or free music, or free software.
We get free translations of games that never were localized sometimes, we get subs to non English movies and anime and in general people love free stuff. They love some of paid stuff too, but much less ;)

I think that we might be agreeing

Dude, there is a difference between cosmetics in a multiplayer game and modifications for a single player game.

Of course it is. That didn't stop people from buying the Horse Armor so much that single player cosmetics are now a thing.

But it's part of success. If there were only in-game shop, with no economy (crates, trading) it wouldn't be as successful.

I do agree.

edit: Also, paid mods are still not a new thing. Paid mods on Steam are not a new thing. Paid mods from users without licensing deals a new thing.

Majukun

Cj3ahMY.jpg

Well, there it is.

Anyway, I do agree with PetriP-TNT. Let's just chill out a bit.
Perhaps in the coming months we'll see that this is truly not a big deal afterall.

or it will be too late to do anything

I'm not saying that it's the case...but by "waiting a bit" we created the current dlc landscape...

That is just crazy talk. Steam didn't start as a retail store, it has been just one and nor it still isn't.

I am curious to know why you think Steam is not a retailer. They surely act as one.

This might have been true in the Super Nintendo days, but those days are long past.

Why? This conversation is very interesting, but would love if you developed your points a little bit further than just saying yes or no :)

Grief.exe

As with any new initiative, judging it on the first couple of weeks, let alone days or hours even isn't really the best thing. Sure this might all go bottoms up for all parties concerned but reading the 'arguments' here and other places on both sides, more over the against side, are lacking in a bit of substance for me.

I wish NeoGAF was more rational. See how this plays out before descending the slippery slope all the way to oblivion.

Dwalls

Neo Member
What's the end game for the workshop now? Is that free mods link always going to be there or is it going to go the way of item stores for dota/cs:go where there is no free stuff link. I'm personally really expecting it to dissapear for workshop enabled titles coming out in the future. This skyrim debacle is just the transition phase to 3rd party profitable DLC. Why create the content if you can just pay a pittance to the people already doing it for free and call it a day. I just don't see publishers being like yeah give away this stuff we could be making money on for free, it's fine. I also think it's going to end up being an appstore like clusterfuck of false advertising, fishing for whales, and general consumer unfriendly behaviour.

Arthea

I wish NeoGAF was more rational. See how this plays out before descending the slippery slope all the way to oblivion.

I wonder would you wait how it plays if it was knife to you throat
sorry, I had to (><)

That's not how people work, people are emotional, prone to dramatize everything, and in some cases they are right to rage. I know several things that I would want people to rage about instead of meekly accepting too ;)

Intel

Maybe after paid mods steam will make something like PS+/XBOX Live subscription. =.=

+ Online Multiplayer with many server volvo.
+ Cloud Save.
+ Drop discounts and item (dota 2 / cs go / tf 2).
+ Free access Paid Mods and Tools.
+ Exclusive & early access to select betas and demos.
+ Automatic game updates.

Dwalls

Neo Member
Maybe after paid mods steam will make something like PS+/XBOX Live subscription. =.=

+ Online Multiplayer with many server volvo.
+ Cloud Save.
+ Drop discounts and item (dota 2 / cs go / tf 2).
+ Free access Paid Mods and Tools.
+ Exclusive & early access to select betas and demos.
+ Automatic game updates.

Wouldn't suprise me if they start charging for features they're currently providing for free. The name of the game is increasing your alternate revenue streams for every business in the market now and it's getting ridiculous. The future is going to be made up out of nickels & dimes and percentages.

madjoki

Have they planned for this from the beginning?
They've prepared it with this patch back in March. I think it's Bethesda's doing, it's their push on Valve, or just both.
New update will enable Skyrim to support unlimited file size in Steam Workshop

Both.

It isn't secret that Valve's been working on monetizing user generated content.

March is when they contacted first external modders.

So, what are the opinions of the season pass content? Is any of it worth playing through?

Nothing really good. Maybe wait for better deals.
Bright Lord is best. Most are just useless runes & skins.

I am curious to know why you think Steam is not a retailer. They surely act as one.

Why? This conversation is very interesting, but would love if you developed your points a little bit further than just saying yes or no :)

I said that Steam is much much more than a retail store. That includes retail. You said that Steam is just a retail store and nothing more which completely ignores the hundreds of services available for developers, consumers and publishers alike.

The days are behind because no game or software project is really done anymore. Surely you might abandon it at some point, or move to the next version or give it away for someone else. Maybe it's one of those things that you have to experience yourself as a software developer, but post-release times after crunching to a deadline are the worst. You'd think that a software thing is "done" when it's out of the box, but it most often isn't. "We release it when it's done" is a thing that very, very, very, very, very, veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery few companies have the privilege of. Valve is one of those companies, mainly because they also run a fairly successful ever-evolving software as a service kind of deal.

Same thing, in the end the creator only gets 25% :\

It's not the same deal at all man. The end result might be the same for the creator though.

So people can charge for mods now and Valve gets a cut? Seems fair enough.

What is the next big game after GTA5? Keeping in mind I don't care about TW3.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Uh PetriP, we all know why the thing was removed. That is the point on why the thing is messy. Because mods aren't simply "stuff you make", because it involves other people, compatibility issues, etc. something that gets finicky when money gets involved.

I don't really care too much for the Arkham series either, but Witcher 3 is looking real good.

Killing Floor 2 just came out, DMC4SE is right around the corner, and then Witcher 3.

I hope TW3 turns out well... The problem is I played Dragon Age and ... it kind of killed my interest in anything claiming to have a huge world with hundreds of hours of play.

And I know "CD Projekt RED know what they are doing! BELIEVE!!!" as I'm often told. But I thought TW1 wsa pretty ordinary and TW2 was crap after Act 1... so yeah, as far as I'm concerned Double Fine have more of an idea about how to release a good game.

But we'll see. Maybe I'll be a believer soon.

Axiom Verge is a neat game. People should buy that when it drops.

Kaleinc

Banned
And it's not about "risking" anything, it's about providing a service. The service provider is putting countless of hours to this system. I guess the publisher part is sort of gray area too, but some of that money might trickle down to the developer or not, but the issue there is that without that publisher there wouldn't be a game for you to mod. At all.

People tend to think that services, such as Steam, run on good spirit after they have been put up once, but that too costs money. I suggest that you try and maintain a service with 5 to 9 million concurrent users and report back when you have done that.
The service provider which has regular weekly maintenance. Having blackout tuesday when you're cut off from electricity would be nice, no?
And to imagine that I still have to completely disable steam overlay to play a game because there's no way to turn off popping up junk like achievements, events, messages, invites, bot invites (still). To take a screenshot - close the game, enable overlay, take a screenshot, close the game, disable overlay. 21st century yeah. Useless customer support etc.
But let's monetize bots, mods, botmods, modbots instead.

The service provider which has regular weekly maintenance. Having blackout tuesday when you're cut off from electricity would be nice, no?
And to imagine that I still have to completely disable steam overlay to play a game because there's no way to disable popping up junk like achievements, events, messages, invites, bot invites (still). To take a screenshot - close the game, enable overlay, take a screenshot, close the game, disable overlay. 21st century yeah. Useless customer support etc.
But let's monetize bots, mods, botmods, modbots instead.

Okay? I am not sure what I am supposed to do with this information? You don't like a thing, that's fine. You can vote with your money and leech off the system by not buying anything on the store or marketplace.

I'm not too happy about it personally. But maybe it creates even higher quality mods in the long run. But on the other hand, even the best mod I have played in recent memory (project nevada for fallout) I would not pay for and that is after knowing exactly what I get for it.

Also, UE4 is intending to have a marketplace where people can sell their works, be it full UE4 games or just graphics or anything - based on my understanding.

Okay? I am not sure what I am supposed to do with this information? You don't like a thing, that's fine. You can vote with your money and leech off the system by not buying anything on the store or marketplace.

I dont know why you arent allowed to criticise Steam. I mean there are still so many bugs to fix, so many broken promises, still somehow no real invisible mode, a BPM that is based on a browser, a half developed music player that doesnt even play all formats (or did they fix it yet?) etc.
I love Steam, but they somehow should fix a lot of things first before tackling new things.

The whole client needs an overhaul. I mean they are adding more and more things to a client thats like almost 12 years old now.

I dont know why you arent allowed to criticise Steam. I mean there are still so many bugs to fix, so many broken promises, still somehow no real invisible mode, a BPM that is based on a browser, a half developed music player that doesnt even play all formats (or did they fix it yet?) etc.
I love Steam, but they somehow should fix a lot of things first before tackling new things.

The whole client needs an overhaul. I mean they are adding more and more things to a client thats like almost 12 years old now.

Of course you are. There's tons of things I would fix in Steam myself. But we weren't talking about the Steam as a client, we were talking about why Steam could have 25% pot of the pie by "doing nothing". Which Valve / Steam isn't clearly doing, no matter how much you hated the client itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom