• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

Nice!!! never really had speed issues with mine so hard to tell.

I have a large junk folder that has followed me for almost a decade through various PC's and it was ridiculously slow to access off the 840. Like minutes to completely open. The new fix, which focuses on speeding up access time to older files, finally sorted that out.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
UC4sZwS.jpg

I'm kind of sad Cortana is a weird... Symbol-y thing. I wouldn't mind a nude blue lady popping up and talking to me.

... By the way, does Cortana have speech capabilities like Siri (or whatever it's called) or only text?
It's just like Siri but with Jen Taylor's voice. I don't think you can do anything with text, but I'm not sure of that.

Annubis

Corporate Hat A: Our profit is lowering.
Corporate Hat B: Cut the development to save money.
Corporate Hat A: Our profits are still lowering.
Corporate Hat B: Cut the development to reduce our spending.
Corporate Hat A: The turnover rate is increasing in our development.
Corporate Hat B: Great, it will lower the average salary. In fact, cut the biggest cost employees right now and replace them with newbies.
Corporate Hat A: Delay in our production due to staffing issues is increasing our development cost much higher than the planned cost schedule. Our next quarter's earnings will be disastrous.
Corporate Hat B: Cancel production.

Corporate Hat A: Since we're not releasing anything, we're not making any earnings.
Corporate Hat B: Cut the development.

Corporate Hat A: Our profit is lowering.
Corporate Hat B: Cut the development to save money.
Corporate Hat A: Our profits are still lowering.
Corporate Hat B: Cut the development to reduce our spending.
Corporate Hat A: The turnover rate is increasing in our development.
Corporate Hat B: Great, it will lower the average salary. In fact, cut the biggest cost employees right now and replace them with newbies.
Corporate Hat A: Delay in our production due to staffing issues is increasing our development cost much higher than the planned cost schedule. Our next quarter's earnings will be disastrous.
Corporate Hat B: Cancel production.

Corporate Hat A: Since we're not releasing anything, we're not making any earnings.
Corporate Hat B: Cut the development.
and sometimes, this is what happens.

yuraya

Dang they might be removing PT demo from psn stores soon. I was actually looking forward to playing that whenever I did pick up a ps4 in the future. Oh well if nothing ever comes of it than there is no point really. Konami is ruthless lol.

So my tip is: if you are skilled, try to produce your own game. There are plenty of opportunities out here, Unreal engine licensing is free and you pay something only if you manage to sell your game (in that case it's a win-win, because you pay ID only when you sell a copy, otherwise you can work on your project for free, basically) Don't do mods with the purpose to gain money, because that won't ever happen, because of licensing reasons ecc. If you want take a pizza from your mod, that would be possible, but for sure it won't be a full time job.

Making your own game requires creativity and may not necessarily get attention. Do you remember when Super Mario 64 was re-created in Unity? It got lots of people talking before it was pulled. That team could have so easily made a 3D platformer with their own character. They chose not to, probably because it wouldn't have garnered nearly as much attention and/or because they couldn't think of a good character to make. Ditto people who make Pokemon games in RPGMaker, or people who mod existing popular games.

I'm not saying that modding doesn't require creativity, don't get me wrong. But it's easier to adapt an existing property than it is generating a new one entirely.

Megauap

Dang they might be removing PT demo from psn stores soon. I was actually looking forward to playing that whenever I did pick up a ps4 in the future. Oh well if nothing ever comes of it than there is no point really. Konami is ruthless lol.

Get it via the web Store now and it will remain in your Downloads list (probably).

Just think about LaMulana.

Oh yeah, that game. I couldn't get anywhere in it. I went to a certain area, found it was tough, looked up a walkthrough, and discovered I was like in the sixth area and hadn't even found the first boss yet. Ugh, I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it! Thanks a lot!

yuraya

Get it via the web Store now and it will remain in your Downloads list (probably).

I did thnxs for the heads up. No way of knowing if it'll work tho hehe. Hopefully sony is like valve and will actually allow you to download something in the future that has been removed from the store.

Tizoc

I did thnxs for the heads up. No way of knowing if it'll work tho hehe. Hopefully sony is like valve and will actually allow you to download something in the future that has been removed from the store.

That is the case for the most part:
I have 2 PSX games that were removed from the PS Store and can download them as many times as I want =)

Anteater

watch konami go the extra mile and remove it from the server

I mean these are the people who region lock a fucking demo (mgr) on psn so you can download it but not run it if your machine isn't region J.

Well... They have, what, another two months to release the Source 2 port if they are to keep their promised date. But knowing Valvetime, we'll be lucky to see it this year. If it doesn't happen within two months, I fear another GIB DIRETIDE-esque poostorm. Who knows, though.

It wouldn't even necessarily be Valve time. The Source 2 migration is bound to be buggy and if they don't set up a separate branch with the old, but stable engine it could jeopardise TI and other tournaments.

Tizoc

watch konami go the extra mile and remove it from the server

I mean these are the people who region lock a fucking demo (mgr) on psn so you can download it but not run it if your machine isn't region J.

I'm sorry but that's a very silly thing to get angry about; Persona 4 Arena was region locked from the start and those with an EU PS3 couldn't play it until more than a year later.
It's all in the past now and I think it's pointless and moot to bring up when you can buy ANY ver. of MGR and play it on any PS3 model.

Anteater

I'm sorry but that's a very silly thing to get angry about; Persona 4 Arena was region locked from the start and those with an EU PS3 couldn't play it until more than a year later.
It's all in the past now and I think it's pointless and moot to bring up when you can buy ANY ver. of MGR and play it on any PS3 model.

and I still can't buy MGR on steam in my region

can I get angry now?

Anteater

OK now THAT you can be angry about. Haven't you tried asking someone to get it for you from Nuuvem or buying it from Amazon though?

I already have it, but I'm just saying I have a reason to not liking the company.

I'm not really that angry, I'm just salty and complaining about their crap :p

Maniac

Banned
It's just like Siri but with Jen Taylor's voice. I don't think you can do anything with text, but I'm not sure of that.

Neato.

Still disappointed I wont have a floating holographic nude blue chick.

Would've been incredibly lewd and so darn futuristic. Gosh darn, MS. Get to work!

Missed opportunity and all that. MS gonna MS.

I want a lewd blue floaty holograph lady :(

inm8num2

Can't see the thread without a login, but I guess I believe you! :D

EDIT: Maybe it got "leaked" and you are confusing it with some other release ?:

??????????????

You said even backers get the game late (?). I clarified backers get the game a day early from the April 28 release. I linked to a thread on the Double Fine forums (which I didn't realize is in the private backers' area) that mentions the game unfortunately leaked before release. Regardless, even without referencing that thread at DF it's pretty obvious what something is if you saw it elsewhere on the internet before the scheduled official release.

I have no idea where you're going with this discussion, but you are talking about a leaked version of the game as if it's "some other release". There is no "other release". There's only one release - the official one on April 28.

Kiru

??????????????

You said even backers get the game late (?). I clarified backers get the game a day early from the April 28 release. I linked to a thread on the Double Fine forums (which I didn't realize is in the private backers' area) that mentions the game unfortunately leaked before release. Regardless, even without referencing that thread at DF it's pretty obvious what something is if you saw it elsewhere on the internet before the scheduled official release.

I have no idea where you're going with this discussion, but you are talking about a leaked version of the game as if it's "some other release". There is no "other release". There's only one release - the official one on April 28.

Whoa chill out. Just saying that people pirating games get it earlier than paying backers. How ist that fair. Just release it when it's finished, why still be stubborn about it ? Should do it like when Kendrick Lamar's latest album got leaked, he released it early on itunes for all to buy...

Maniac

Banned
It wouldn't even necessarily be Valve time. The Source 2 migration is bound to be buggy and if they don't set up a separate branch with the old, but stable engine it could jeopardise TI and other tournaments.

That's a good point.

Don't tournaments sometimes use slightly outdated builds, though? I know that's the case with CSGO, Starcraft & LoL.

Of course, whenever a balance patch happens (in regards to dota, that is), they do usually switch to that for tournaments, even if teams haven't acclimated. Which is always fun to watch.

However I somehow don't have any idea what the standard procedure is with Dota, despite the fact that it's my most-watched (and played) esport.

--------------
In related news, Valve announced The Dota Major Championships, four annual tournaments: "These marquee tournament events will see top teams competing at premier venues around the world. There will be limited trade periods during the year for participating teams. As the Fall event approaches, more tournament details will be announced."

Sorry if old, hadn't seen it posted* and figured someone other than me would be interested.

Really I'm just too lazy to use the search function
Volvo doing paid mods:

someone photoshop gabens face

Lol. Brilliant.

That's a good point.

Don't tournaments sometimes use slightly outdated builds, though? I know that's the case with CSGO, Starcraft & LoL.

Of course, whenever a balance patch happens (in regards to dota, that is), they do usually switch to that for tournaments, even if teams haven't acclimated. Which is always fun to watch.

However I somehow don't have any idea what the standard procedure is with Dota, despite the fact that it's my most-watched (and played) esport.

--------------
In related news, Valve announced The Dota Major Championships, four annual tournaments: "These marquee tournament events will see top teams competing at premier venues around the world. There will be limited trade periods during the year for participating teams. As the Fall event approaches, more tournament details will be announced."

Yeah, I don't know either how it works. When I talked about this in the Dota thread some said maybe Valve could implement a tournament mode, so I took it they use up-to-date versions. Also, in this case it's going to be a rather radical update.

And yes, there was a thread about that, but didn't get much activity. Main reason was probably the other Valve news.

BigAT

Dota tournaments use the most recent patch, but Valve works around major tournaments in releasing them so that most tournaments are played with a patch that has been out for a bit. For example, there is a balance patch coming but it is being held back until next week when the big Starladder tournament is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom