• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

Banned
It's not Elysium?

Lol.

That's the first thing that I thought when I saw those bullshots... "Shit, they're just out-right ripping off Blomkamp's visual style and robot design"

Of course, it's really more of a poor mans Blomkamp.
It is strange to see that many GAF members are disappointed by BO3.

It proves we may just have a mere shred of taste despite some disgusting love of Ubisoft-collect-athons.

Dr Dogg

And once again I find myself at odds with the general reception in the Steam thread as BLOP III certainly tickles my fancy.

Also you know Treyarch are back in charge when you read this...
Treyarch claims to have built a whole new engine for the game, which supports contemporary effects like deferred lighting and particles; the artificial intelligence system has been updated to give enemies the freedom and ability to react to player actions with a variety of tactical options. The studio has also claimed that the PC version is a priority this year, with support for high-end rigs and 4K monitors, as well as scalable options for lower-end machines.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ck-ops-3-co-op-campaign-movement-announcement

That and the supposed minimum PC specs listed in an IGN are stupidly low for a current gen only title.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/04/26/black-ops-3-minimum-pc-specs-revealed

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
And once again I find myself at odds with the general reception in the Steam thread as BLOP III certainly tickles my fancy.

Also you know Treyarch are back in charge when you read this...

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ck-ops-3-co-op-campaign-movement-announcement

That and the supposed minimum PC specs listed in an IGN are stupidly low for a current gen only title.

well ... it might be current-gen-only NOW .... but it probably hasn't started being one ;)

Tizoc

You know what? All it'd take is a Suikoden 3 PS2 Classic announcement along with PS2 digital releases being compatible on PS4s for GAF to flip a 180 over this whole Konami thing.
That along with Silent Hill 2-4 releases on Steam :V

Also, people who make Pokemon games in RPGMaker? Why would they do that? There's a darn huge modding community for Pokemon mods that actually use the Pokemon game engine, and it's actually pretty well developed in terms of tools and the like. Making a Pokemon game on RPGMaker sounds like unecessary work when you can very easily use the original game engine :)

I don't know WHY they do it, they just do. But the point remains that rather than make their own monster game, they chose to use an existing one. Now, I'll grant that if they did make their own monster game they'd probably be accused of ripping off Pokemon anyway? So maybe they can't win. I'm not sure.

Vibranium

Banned
Wish more publishers would take note.

I'm getting so tired of waiting on Brothers in Arms, Anno 1404, and Rainbow Six.

Oh man, Brother in Arms. I need the series back in my life, one last game for Baker.

After that I would love a Vietnam BiA, I always thought that would be really neat.

zkylon

zkylewd
broken age today??

i bet it won't run on my computer because of my videocardlessness ;_;

Well, I don't recall if there ever was a big outrage about that. Some of those people make 5-6 figures even with 25%. I think we have a couple of gaffers who are well-known and successful content creators, so maybe ask them how they feel about that. But yeah, when I first heard it I thought it was too little.
well like people that literally didn't do anything get three times as much money for not doing anything!

that sounds dumb to me

People were angry because they misunderstood the requirement. You don't have to sell your game on Steam exclusively, just in addition to elsewhere.
unfortunately misunderstanding seem to be commonplace with valve announcements :T

Yeah that is understandable and no wonder why people get so frustrated with this. It really feels unfair. I mean, great supports make it better to survive and really help, but the RNG for criticals is very unreliable.

Without supports, I don't think I could ever finish the game in Hard Mode. I'm definitely not that lucky or good lol.

In Hector Hard Mode, it gets really worse because the enemy swarms you from all directions, giving you not much time to breathe. It is impossible without getting supports from characters you want to use.
supports are like the conversations, right? so far i only got one between hector and eli tho

I think I got it. In the options menu, set 'Combat' to 'Strat'. It should tell you if you'll hit twice and it gives other details too, like how much your accuracy, damage, etc. will be and the enemy's stuff too. If you don't understand any of the stats, then just use the help button and it'll tell you what it means.
ah ok. i think i changed it to "detailed" or something like that cos i felt the more info the better but maybe it's not that needed.

konami gotta konami

Was expecting low from your post but this is extremely low. No kidding.
O8S27J5.png

This has to become a cross-gen game :O

Daily Thi4f 80% off
The good news is that the good games of the trilogy are also 80% off

As someone who claims to dislike this game, I own it on both PC and PS4 and have beaten it on both platforms. The only worthwhile (maybe?) content I do not own in that entire series is The Forsaken Challenge pack.

supports are like the conversations, right? so far i only got one between hector and eli tho

Yeah and each conversation makes those character fight better if they're close together and it lessens the unfair RNG bullshit (enemy can critical and do damage less, you can dodge more, etc. depends on what the supports change). Close together meaning they're like 1-3 squares away I think. And if you have your whole group with supports, you can become a demolishing machine, in my experience anyway, but it can vary because sometimes you just get unlucky and that sucks.

ah ok. i think i changed it to "detailed" or something like that cos i felt the more info the better but maybe it's not that needed.

Yeah I think it's just a matter of taste. Others will tell you to use 'detailed' but I never can play like that. I ended up using a help button a lot initially.

Bernardo... That's wrong on so many levels and plain bollocks. Selling mods in a singleplayer game is fucking wrong on every level. And Portal wasn't a mod. Half Life was in no way "a mod of Quake"

That's like saying every CryEngine game is a mod of Crysis, or every Source game is a mod of Half Life 2... lol

People aren't entitled to mods for free, but modders aren't entitled to payment for a hobby project made out of other peoples' work. Is it okay to release standalone mods as paid games? Definitely. Is it okay to require payment for individual mods for a single game? In no fucking way nor universe will it ever be. Bernardo, get your head out of your bum for the love of god.

Your defense of this move with your last dozens of posts has amounted to intelligently put together shitposting, at best.

If a modder believes that his time should be compensated, then he shouldn't be fucking modding, but he should be working in employment. Simple as..

Money, like sex, complicates everything.

I'm not opposed to a system that has semi-official support behind it. If you told me that Steam had a system where you could buy mods like Left 4 Dead 2's Cold Steam or Falskaar for $2-5, and it had the polish and support from the dev behind it, I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a hot fudge sundae.

Unfortunately, that's assuming way too much about developers in general, especially when we have plenty of cases where the devs (whether through cash restrictions, publisher intervention or a lack of development time) never get around to bugfixing or "completing" their product - including Bethesda themselves. Skyrim is orders of magnitude different than a flight simulator or a multiplayer racing game, and the complaints about the system being exploited or the potential pitfalls have been mostly ignored by the people who defend it.

When you add money to the equation, the entire dynamic of the seller-buyer relationship changes. Sure, you can charge for your mod, but then you should be beholden to a business relationship with said buyer. The way the system is currently set up puts the onus on the modmaker to deliver support, pledge not to use other modmaker's content in their system and that it isn't going to break far down the line past the refund deadline.

This has nothing to do with calling people "entitled" (what a horrid word), and everything to do with checks and balances that aren't - and will probably never be - in place, especially with a system of this size.

dex3108

Brace yourself SteamGAF because apparently tomorrow we will get ne Witcher 3 videos from Youtubers who went in Poland. Apparently each of them was allowed to record 45 minutes of gameplay.

unfortunately misunderstanding seem to be commonplace with valve announcements :T

Technically that wasn't even an announcement, RPS just asked for more specifis lol. Then later in a semi-interview Gabe said other engine manufacturers can use their code. The only announcements they made regarding Source 2 is it's free, easy to use and will support Vulkan. Haven't expanded on that since.

Dr Dogg

Was expecting low from your post but this is extremely low. No kidding.
http://i.imgur.com/O8S27J5.png[IMG]
This has to become a cross-gen game :O[/QUOTE]

From reading a few other articles here and there it could well be but more like AW had PC and current consoles deved by Sledgehammer and the PS360 versions outsourced. Since WaW Treyarch have put PC first and BLOPs II is a stupidly scalable game.

[quote="YianGaruga, post: 161658424"]My PS3 is jumping out of the window just reading that RAM requirement.[/QUOTE]

Well if it's any consolation to your PS3, that 6gb is probably there due to AMD using triple channel memory so I'd say in the region of 4-6gb and even then that's probably being very conservative.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah and each conversation makes those character fight better if they're close together and it lessens the unfair RNG bullshit (enemy can critical and do damage less, you can dodge more, etc. depends on what the supports change). Close together meaning they're like 1-3 squares away I think. And if you have your whole group with supports, you can become a demolishing machine, in my experience anyway, but it can vary because sometimes you just get unlucky and that sucks.
i seem to be unable to get any more talks tho? like i only could that one time

Yeah I think it's just a matter of taste. Others will tell you to use 'detailed' but I never can play like that. I ended up using a help button a lot initially.
i see

thanks for the tip!

Technically that wasn't even an announcement, RPS just asked for more specifis lol. Then later in a semi-interview Gabe said other engine manufacturers can use their code. The only announcements they made regarding Source 2 is it's free, easy to use and will support Vulkan. Haven't expanded on that since.
well, um, you know what i mean :p

been doing pc gaming on the cheap/old hardware for a long time. you'll survive
will i?

WILL I?!

From reading a few other articles here and there it could well be but more like AW had PC and current consoles deved by Sledgehammer and the PS360 versions outsourced. Since WaW Treyarch have put PC first and BLOPs II is a stupidly scalable game.
Mh. Good to hear about Treyarch caring about PC versions.
Always get confused. Which CoD devs are the better and which the not so good ones?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Mh. Good to hear about Treyarch caring about PC versions.
Always get confused. Which CoD devs are the better and which the not so good ones?

Treyarch is the best :) IW doesn't give a fuck any more ... and Sledgehammer is ... so-so ;)

Edit: yeah - what Jawmuncher
c
said

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Brace yourself SteamGAF because apparently tomorrow we will get ne Witcher 3 videos from Youtubers who went in Poland. Apparently each of them was allowed to record 45 minutes of gameplay.

Will we finally see what the Ultra preset looks like?

MUnited83

For you.
Bernardo... That's wrong on so many levels and plain bollocks. Selling mods in a singleplayer game is fucking wrong on every level. And Portal wasn't a mod. Half Life was in no way "a mod of Quake"

That's like saying every CryEngine game is a mod of Crysis, or every Source game is a mod of Half Life 2... lol

People aren't entitled to mods for free, but modders aren't entitled to payment for a hobby project made out of other peoples' work. Is it okay to release standalone mods as paid games? Definitely. Is it okay to require payment for individual mods for a single game? In no fucking way nor universe will it ever be. Bernardo, get your head out of your bum for the love of god.

Your defense of this move with your last dozens of posts has amounted to intelligently put together shitposting, at best.

If a modder believes that his time should be compensated, then he shouldn't be fucking modding, but he should be working in employment. Simple as.

Aaaaaand I'm sad again.
They are entitled to payment if they wish to charge for their mods, with the original devs' authorisation. It's that simple.

And if you didn't check, paid mods have been a thing for a while, especially on racing and flight sims. There's whole teams making professional-level content for those games, and they are living of it. Saying that they shouldn't be able to do so is just stupid. And I'm the one that needs to pull my head out of my bum? That one's funny.

Shadownet

Banned
so i just read about this whole GTX 970 lawsuit. does the 0.5 gigabyte running 80% slower really make that big of a difference?

I've been thinking about buying one.. but now..

zkylon

zkylewd
I must be the millionth user asking but it should be sufficient to copy-paste game-folder from "common" and appmanifest-files to another PC so that Steam recognizes? No need for using a dedicated program that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom