• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ready to throw my PC out the fucking window. Dark Souls 3 needs to quit fucking crashing.
A damn shame. I've read and watched of a lot of cases with constant bonfire crashes with all classes besides knight and heavy stutter.
I'm very thankful to not have encountered either but it's a shame these issues are present at release.

tmarg

A damn shame. I've read and watched of a lot of cases with constant bonfire crashes with all classes besides knight and heavy stutter.
I'm very thankful to not have encountered either but it's a shame these issues are present at release.

I thought the knight stuff was only prerelease? Still, it sucks that so many people are having problems, regardless of the reason. Especially when it's such a great game otherwise.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ucchedavāda;201698639 said:
The recent images posted in this thread contrasting the layout of DS 1 - 3 made me curious about how the connectivity in the games actually look, so I went ahead and made graphs of connections between named locations in each game using GraphViz (hence the often odd placement of nodes which is not based on in-game traversal distances), using the named location pages on the Dark Souls Wikidot wikis as the source. A non-spoilerish version comparing each game, with no location names, but with DLC areas and the start location marked, can be found here. Spoilerish versions for each game, which include location names and also marks the final location, can be found here (1, 2, and 3).

Please note that I've only played DS1, so the graphs are only as exact as the information in the wikis, plus whatever mistakes I made while importing that information. Also, since the resolution is named locations, the figures do not show shortcuts such as the one in DS 1 connecting
Lost Izalith to the shortcut to Quelaag's Domain.

At some point it could be interesting to do 3D versions that takes in-game distances into account, but that would be quite challenging (for me at least).

that's pretty great and totally shows what i was showing

basically dark souls 1 and 2 both have hub areas that are connected to about 4 dungeon chains, the big diference is that in dark souls 1 many of these dungeon chains are connected with each other, while in dks2 they're mostly separate

dks3 is pretty different in that you have always 2 mandatory options to through (tho i'm guessing you can skip some and do them much later?), but only one of those progresses the dungeon chain. so it feels super linear in comparison, despite the level design being super open and intricate

so bummed this is fake

They are. I really need to get back in to the second game. Loved the first one and its weird story.
cool, i gotta try them out sometime

zkylon

zkylewd
yea try the lighting thing

i've played the entire game on low and only had one crash, but i also don't have a 700 gpu so maybe that's it

Parsnip

I know it doesn't help anyone, but I haven't had a single crash in Dark Souls 3. Steam says I'm 44 hours in.

Aside from the lighting thing, I've heard people have had luck increasing their virtual memory when trying to prevent the game crashing.

Also since we are talking about Souls, couldn't help but laugh at this.
It's such a perfect Dark Souls moment.
PKG0Zd9.gif

Surviving the mimic just barely, only to get slain by a silver knight you agroed when going up the stairs.

edit: Just noticed the thread title change. Ice cold.

Red Hood

Banned
Why are the Back to the Future episodes listed separately instead of one whole? If necessary as DLC or whatever, but this is.. ugh.

zkylon

zkylewd
I know it doesn't help anyone, but I haven't had a single crash in Dark Souls 3. Steam says I'm 44 hours in.

Aside from the lighting thing, I've heard people have had luck increasing their virtual memory when trying to prevent the game crashing.

Also since we are talking about Souls, couldn't help but laugh at this.
It's such a perfect Dark Souls moment.

Surviving the mimic just barely, only to get slain by a silver knight you agroed when going up the stairs.

edit: Just noticed the thread title change. Ice cold.

lol that's amazing

AHA-Lambda

Don't let him hit you. I took him out in one try, fully expecting some bullshit to happen midway.

its called Possessed Armor

His attacks are very well telegraphed and leave enough time for dodging. I got him in first try with a bit of patience.

It's ok I've already killed him :p
sad part is my first attempt at him went really well and then I got worse V_V

Oh wow dragonslayer is back for another game? Thats pretty neat

no, the one you're thinking of isn't

Tellaerin

Finally started putting in some time on Dark Souls, the first one. Got up to a fight on a bridge with a giant minotaur thing ("Taurus Demon", IIRC) before I decided to take a break. (Lost 10k souls when I died at the boss, then died on my way back to retrieve them. (The first time something like that happened, but I suspect it's far from the last.)

Really liking the atmosphere so far. The imagery puts me in mind of Glen Cook's Black Company novels. (Now there's a series that could use a good game tie-in.) Quickly learned that I can't play this like DMC, since trying to rock stylish combos will just earn me a spear through the chest from some zombie with a kite shield. :p I can see what all the hype was about now.

rtcn63

One of the most important things you should do in Dark Souls(s) - pick a weapon and upgrade it. Max your shit out as far as you can until the next area. Don't worry about permanence, just be vigilant.

Also don't trust fuckers names Patches.

zkylon

zkylewd
JCx42Vp.gif

did anyone see the arcadian atlas kickstarter?

it's a very clearly final fantasy tactics inspired srpg with really nice pixelart and a job system and like people in walking animation stuck in place and stuff

looks great

Finally started putting in some time on Dark Souls, the first one. Got up to a fight on a bridge with a giant minotaur thing ("Taurus Demon", IIRC) before I decided to take a break. (Lost 10k souls when I died at the boss, then died on my way back to retrieve them. (The first time something like that happened, but I suspect it's far from the last.)

Really liking the atmosphere so far. The imagery puts me in mind of Glen Cook's Black Company novels. (Now there's a series that could use a good game tie-in.) Quickly learned that I can't play this like DMC, since trying to rock stylish combos will just earn me a spear through the chest from some zombie with a kite shield. :p I can see what all the hype was about now.
nice

and yeah dark souls is not a game that rewards style, it's a merciless world out there and you gotta get things done however you can. there's no fair in the battlefield, only alive and dead!

Sober

One of the most important things you should do in Dark Souls(s) - pick a weapon and upgrade it. Max your shit out as far as you can until the next area. Don't worry about permanence, just be vigilant.

Also don't trust fuckers names Patches.
As soon as SOTFS goes on sale I can buy it and finish the DLC.

And then play DS3.

I already finished the first 2 games with a vanilla longsword (with a vanilla mace for DS2, cause holy fuck at all the enemies with slash resist in that game). Can't wait to do a vanilla longsword run on my first playthrough.

Fuck yo magic weapons, I'm just gonna do it old school

And then play DS3.

I already finished the first 2 games with a vanilla longsword (with a vanilla mace for DS2, cause holy fuck at all the enemies with slash resist in that game). Can't wait to do a vanilla longsword run on my first playthrough.

Fuck yo magic weapons, I'm just gonna do it old school

SotFS is on sale right now, at least if you're looking for the PC version:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=201625754&highlight=#post201625754

rtcn63

And then play DS3.

Minor spoiler for DS3
Currently the most powerful melee weapon type in the game is the straight sword. Best DPS. From what I've read and seen, you don't need shit else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom