• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
There are banlists on Modbot for abusers right? I think I have seen that before? Maybe I am misunderstanding the features.

That said there is no perfect system short of simply gifting keys person to person. There will always be people trying to game the system to some degree. But in the case of greedy or abusive individuals, I think changing the post rules could help, but it can't eliminate the issue.

EDIT:
Banning them also works. Problem solved.

Arthea

But who makes the definitive call about when a spoiler has hit its zenith? Otherwise, we're back to the suppositions that brought us to this discussion, that either enough time has passed that it's fine to discuss or that enough time has passed that the people who care would have either put up or shut up.

Another way to look at it would be to say that if talk about games greatly affects your enjoyment of them, avoid the place that talks about games.

If seeing people drink greatly affects your sobriety, you avoid the friends that drink. You don't go to their house and ask them to put their PBR in blacked-out cups.

you can't be serious, can you?
So people who care about games should avoid gaming discussions and only those who don't should embrace those? Now I've seen everything!

If you go to a game spoiler thread or even lttp of a game you haven't played, it is your own damn fault, or watch youtube vids, or streams. But if you go to general gaming thread as a steam thread is, you expect people being civil and not spoiling games. Are we really questioning this?

Erekiddo

So people who care about games should avoid gaming discussions and only those who don't should embrace those? Now I've seen everything!

If you go to a game spoiler thread or even lttp of a game you haven't played, it is your own damn fault, or watch youtube vids, or streams. But if you go to general gaming thread as a steam thread is, you expect people being civil and not spoiling games. Are we really questioning this?

It's not like people are coming into threads spewing spoilers to things. Sometimes they're just referenced. I, myself, hate feeling like I have to walk on eggshells when talking about something that's ridiculously old.

Don't make it sound like it's the equivalent of walking into movie theater for a new movie and shouting out the plot twist. It's not.

derExperte

There are banlists on Modbot for abusers right? I think I have seen that before? Maybe I am misunderstanding the features.

Someone is being a mega jerk and I want to block them permanently from ever entering my raffles again. / Someone won a game off me and sold it for a profit or otherwise did something totally unacceptable.

You can permanently block any user by sending a PM to ModBot with the subject permablock. The body should be a list of usernames, one per line, that you wish to block. There is no undoing this. Do not give people the benefit of the doubt--if someone scams the system, permanently block them. It makes the community blacklist more valuable. If you stay silent, other people will be impacted too. If someone's scamming rises beyond the level of being an abusive ModBot user and to the level that you need a GAF moderator's help, please PM a moderator.

And if you use BLACKLIST your raffle uses the community blacklist.

Okay SteamGAF, I need a game controller to play some games I'm planning to buy. I'm thinking about a XBox360 or XBoxOne controller. Any suggestions/recommendations?

MUnited83

For you.
Check again. They're both banned.

8JFX3F7.png

So, everybody can block everybody just by Pm'ing modbot?

Sounds like a good setup for a whodunnit mistery.

Needs to be more than one person. Also the community blacklist needs to be applied as well, which I think should be automatic on all giveaways instead to prevent incidents like the one we've seen with S1n1st3r.

Arthea

It's not like people are coming into threads spewing spoilers to things. Sometimes they're just referenced. I, myself, hate feeling like I have to walk on eggshells when talking about something that's ridiculously old.

Don't make it sound like it's the equivalent of walking into movie theater for a new movie and shouting out the plot twist. It's not.

My point is, it is a steam thread after all, however people like forgetting that on the regular basis, and many old games are releasing on steam right now for the first time, some for the first time in the west in fact and they are 10 years old, and they are new to steam and this is the steam thread, if you get my drift, although probably not.

Walking on eggshells it's not done in this thread at all, like just remember Life is Strange times and people post spoilers fairly often too, not that any of us has powerz to prevent that, so it's hard to understand why people are even complaining.

cyba89

I beat four Dark Souls 2 bosses and opened up a lot of new areas today.

I am the king of playing all Souls games at the same time with long breaks inbetween and in a week I will juggle a third Souls game. :p
Bloodborne is the only one I've actually completed so far.
Thank god From will be done with these games after DS3 so I can actually finish them all.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Okay SteamGAF, I need a game controller to play some games I'm planning to buy. I'm thinking about a XBox360 or XBoxOne controller. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Personally I use the Xbox One controller but I'm looking into switching to the Dualshock 4 for my PC gaming needs.

Lots of other folks would recommend the Steam Controller, as it's designed from the ground up to work with PC games (even those that don't officially support controllers).

Vlad

It becomes a lot more fun when you get good with the combo system.

8PdUPN3.gif

Also try to unlock the floaty style because it makes your character fall slower

Also, keep in mind that, as counterintuitive as it is, it's best to not get combos higher than 25. You get rewards for longer combos, but only up to 25. At 10, you get 100 extra gems, 15 gives you an extra weapon charge, and 25 gives you one more health.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
-Only for Mega-Gaffers - need more than 150 posts in this thread to be eligible for this giveaway

Chivalry Medieval Warfare -- MB-55DF8D098FD3B0DC - Taken by TheSeks

Have fun.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200321768&postcount=3798

What I'm saying is that the onus is on you. If you have a self-imposed blackout and you know that even discussion of a game affects you, you are complicit in your own enjoyment's ruin when you enter a place where videogame discussion occurs only to find that discussion is occurring.

You have options. Demanding everyone else change because you didn't exercise any of them shouldn't be the first option you reach for.

what am i missing here?

Some people were doing the old trick of entering a ton of giveaways. Turns out, those games weren't being redeemed. Whatever they were doing with them isn't in the spirit of the giveaway. It was highlighted by one of those folks winning Gungeon, which r4 really likes and really wanted someone to have a chance to play.

Ventara

Those sounds like arguments for a time limit to spoilers, which many in the thread are arguing against.

No, those would be closer to famous pop culture moments, like Darth Vader.

What's weird about my role in here is that I actually do care about spoilers and avoid them for things I care about. I just don't care to make it someone else's problem when they want to discuss something old.

I care more about a person's ability to write what they want without having to check themselves for a reference that is just maybe a little too deep of a cut.

If we went as extreme as some people want, where you have to give a heads-up the nature of the spoiler tag, too. At that point, you have effectively ruined the language like Mass Effect' 3's ending (endgame spoilers)
I actually don't know what happens but am using it to illustrate a point that avoiding spoilers isn't impossible, either.

Nobody here is arguing for spoiler tags for references. Those would be hard to get out of context anyways.

Stuff like "in XXX game, the real killer was YYY" is what we're talking about. And if you're dropping major spoilers without context as to what game it is from and without it being a reference, then what are you posting? Spoiler tags isn't stopping people's ability to write or say what they want.

Edit: It's starting to feel like we're going in circles, so I'll just bow out of this conversation. It's up to everyone's own judgement whether to use spoiler tags or not.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Arthea

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200321768&postcount=3798

What I'm saying is that the onus is on you. If you have a self-imposed blackout and you know that even discussion of a game affects you, you are complicit in your own enjoyment's ruin when you enter a place where videogame discussion occurs only to find that discussion is occurring.

You have options. Demanding everyone else change because you didn't exercise any of them shouldn't be the first option you reach for.

Isn't it other way around? you imposing your views on us? Like you never check spoiler tagged discussions, meaning we shouldn't do those.
I don't see myself imposing anything on anybody, just trying to say that we have spoiler tags for reasons and it is a steam thread. Not sure what you have against any of those statements, but I'm all ears.
Also I don't demand anything, I'm trying to convince people that using spoiler tags is not that hard and costs you nothing, which is true.

Jawmuncher

The easiest controller to use is a wired 360 controller. Plug it in and you're good to go for a majority of games. The knock off wirless adapters work with the controller as well. The xbox one controller with the wireless receiver is nice. However having it wired can be a bit of a pain. Since it's just a regular micro USB. Sometimes depending on your set up it can become undone. However the controller is even more comfortable than the 360, especially if you have the newer ones with the fixed bumpers.

The steam controller is a nice controller as well. But for me I prefer to use it for games that don't really support controllers. So either older stuff or indies. However it does work well on newer games, but it's all about tinkering with what you find comfortable. To me I don't like to use it for games that rely heavily on a second analog stick.

lastly the DS4 is nice as well, but since it's Dinput you'll need to use a Xinput wrapper. however that's a pretty easy process and you can use it with bluetooth wireless as well. However it has the same problem as the xbox one controller. The micro USB can sometimes be easily undone. However being able to use the touch pad as an extra button or for control of the mouse can be really nice in some games,

Really it just comes down to what you want
360 is cheap, X1 is more comfortable, Steam Controller is very customizable, and DS4 can be a versatile.

Erekiddo

...Am I missing something here?

Edit: Oh, same person.

Thanks for saving me a dollar on the Killing Floor 2 item/sword access. :x <3

Edit:

Wait, wut. I've made 150 posts in this thread? x_x

Same person wasn't confirmed, but definitely one account was passing won keys to the other. They were "brothers" as referenced in previous posts but who knows.

Stopped the bleeding.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

X-box controller or Playstation Controller with Xinput wrapper. Avoid the Steam Controller with a 10 foot barge pole. It doesn't work out of box and any controller-enabled title that works with the 360 controller will make you go "why am I bothering with this instead of an Xinput controller" 10/10 of the time. So that leaves the ones that aren't controller enabled which is a mixed bag.

Ventara

...Am I missing something here?

Those two people are the same people. Darth Kupi made the second account after he was blacklisted (?) for taking 21 games form one mega-giveaway and continued to enter giveaways (with both accounts it seems) and redeeming them to his main account. Some funny stuff, too where he would reply to a reply to his comment from one account with his other account.

Adry9

The easiest controller to use is a wired 360 controller. Plug it in and you're good to go for a majority of games. The knock off wirless adapters work with the controller as well. The xbox one controller with the wireless receiver is nice. However having it wired can be a bit of a pain. Since it's just a regular micro USB. Sometimes depending on your set up it can become undone. However the controller is even more comfortable than the 360, especially if you have the newer ones with the fixed bumpers.

The steam controller is a nice controller as well. But for me I prefer to use it for games that don't really support controllers. So either older stuff or indies. However it does work well on newer games, but it's all about tinkering with what you find comfortable. To me I don't like to use it for games that rely heavily on a second analog stick.

lastly the DS4 is nice as well, but since it's Dinput you'll need to use a Xinput wrapper. however that's a pretty easy process and you can use it with bluetooth wireless as well. However it has the same problem as the xbox one controller. The micro USB can sometimes be easily undone. However being able to use the touch pad as an extra button or for control of the mouse can be really nice in some games,

Really it just comes down to what you want
360 is cheap, X1 is more comfortable, Steam Controller is very customizable, and DS4 can be a versatile.

They changed the bumpers? I hated how you could only press them from the outer part, did they fix that?

Personally I use the Xbox One controller but I'm looking into switching to the Dualshock 4 for my PC gaming needs.

Lots of other folks would recommend the Steam Controller, as it's designed from the ground up to work with PC games (even those that don't officially support controllers).

Thanks for the answer. I already own a PS4 controller so if possible I would like to use it, too. Is it a lot of hassle to make it run and do you need to rebind the controls for every game?

Edit: Jawmuncher and TheSeks already answered my question, thanks!

Erekiddo

Those two people are the same people. Darth Kupi made the second account after he was blacklisted (?) for taking 21 games form one mega-giveaway and continued to enter giveaways (with both accounts it seems) and redeeming them to his main account. Some funny stuff, too where he would reply to a reply to his comment from one account with his other account.

How could both accounts enter giveaways still if one was blacklisted? Both accounts won a game a few pages back pre ban.

wow, that's some pathetic shit.

JarrodL

I don't understand the feeling of needing to play everything, I guess. It's an endless chase and an ultimately fruitless endeavor because you simply can't play everything. The more we talk the more it sounds like I'm doing you a favor by completely spoiling games. At least then you'll be released from the feeling of having to play them all.

I know I can't get them all, but I enjoy having a choice. I try to treat all those games I haven't tried as a gourmand would the menu in his favourite restaurant, if that makes sense. :)

The problem I have is that you're asking for people to edit themselves when they talk in a very, very common way: making references or allusions to broader culture. You're also suggesting something fairly extreme: that all media be considered spoilers.

Do you really think I should be using spoiler tags when talking about the Bible? If not, why? What if someone is earnestly reading it for the first time?

I'm not religious, but I was under impression the Bible is meant to be studied, not read as a creative work of art, thus it's kind of hard to spoil it :D Less extreme examples please - Witcher novels or the Fables comics, for example. Both are fairly old (published 10-20+ years ago). It's not a too far off example, too - someone posted in this thread just a day ago about starting to listen to the witcher audiobooks for the first time. And other people might become aware and interested in the Fables comics after plaing The Wolf Among Us on steam.

Are you saying it's an extreme thing to request that spoilers, REAL spoilers on their plot twists not be posted openly, despite the age? At least not out of the blue, in a random comment in this thread?

I personally would never do so, and I'll leave it your good discretion to choose for yourself. We're in a videogame-focused forum and thread, and most discussions (as well as my previous posts) here are about that medium anyway.

P.S. Don't you dare bring up Star Wars and THAT spoiler again. :D

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
No, those would be closer to famous pop culture moments, like Darth Vader.

Vader's identity is only not a spoiler because there wasn't an internet for people to complain about it at the time.

Nobody here is arguing for spoiler tags for references. Those would be hard to get out of context anyways.

Stuff like "in XXX game, the real killer was YYY" is what we're talking about. And if you're dropping major spoilers without context as to what game it is from and without it being a reference, then what are you posting? Spoiler tags isn't stopping people's ability to write or say what they want.

That's not how discussion often goes, though. Maybe discussion of Braid in the Steam thread leads to me saying that I feel like I'm chasing a princess that's running from me. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what I'm referencing.

And let's not forget the broader context for this discussion either: spoilers have been brought back into the forefront of discussion here because people were complaining about a weapon maybe (or maybe not) being in Dark Souls 3. More than one person.

People are still angry about it.

I'm not religious, but I was under impression the Bible is meant to be studied, not read as a creative work of art, thus it's kind of hard to spoil it :D

You joke, but I read a specific version of the Bible in highschool English class called "the Bible as Literature."

Are you saying it's an extreme thing to request that spoilers, REAL spoilers on their plot twists not be posted openly, despite the age? At least not out of the blue, in a random comment in this thread?

I personally would never do so, and I'll leave it your good discretion to choose for yourself. We're in a videogame-focused forum and thread, and most discussions (as well as my previous posts) here are about that medium anyway.

But then who decides what's a real spoiler? See my example above, where people are upset about Dark Souls. Most normal people aren't mad about it, but there are plenty who are.

Adry9

Yes all the controllers with the audio jack on the bottom have new bumpers that let you click from the outer part.

Oh man, I didn't know that. I just got a new wireless adapter for my old 360 controller, maybe I should've went for the new one.

Dr.Social

Banned
Also, keep in mind that, as counterintuitive as it is, it's best to not get combos higher than 25. You get rewards for longer combos, but only up to 25. At 10, you get 100 extra gems, 15 gives you an extra weapon charge, and 25 gives you one more health.

Yeah, I need to remember to do that if I'm ever going to beat it on hard

Isn't it other way around? you imposing your views on us? Like you never check spoiler tagged discussions, meaning we shouldn't do those.
I don't see myself imposing anything on anybody, just trying to say that we have spoiler tags for reasons and it is a steam thread. Not sure what you have against any of those statements, but I'm all ears.
Also I don't demand anything, I'm trying to convince people that using spoiler tags is not that hard and costs you nothing, which is true.

That was an example of how it affects me when I see it, but if you look at any of those spoiler-tagged discussions, it's just a private conversation between 2 people. People rarely, if ever, join in mid-stream.

So, while using spoiler tags isn't hard, it does cost something. It costs the discussion itself.

Being conscious of other people isn't a bad thing. But there has to be some middle ground. Not being able to discuss Braid is ridiculous. Getting up in arms because someone gave the name of a sword in Dark Souls 3 is ridiculous. Telling people to cool off when discussing the various twists in Life is Strange is not ridiculous. Acting indignant that someone dare discuss a popular game in a popular videogame discussion board... back to ridiculous.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yes all the controllers with the audio jack on the bottom have new bumpers that let you click from the outer part.

The bumpers on my OG XB1 controller are the worst. I'd kinda like to get a new one with the fixed audio jack and bumpers, but I just can't seem to justify giving my money to Microsoft for this.

That reminds me, how come Killing Floor 2 is still in early access? I thought the plan to release by the end of last year. How are things going with that game?

Ventara

And let's not forget the broader context for this discussion either: spoilers have been brought back into the forefront of discussion here because people were complaining about a weapon maybe (or maybe not) being in Dark Souls 3. More than one person.

I've already had my say regarding spoiler tags, but I just want to comment on this that it's asinine, lol. If you're this sensitive, you should have done a media blackout.

Jawmuncher

The bumpers on my OG XB1 controller are the worst. I'd kinda like to get a new one with the fixed audio jack and bumpers, but I just can't seem to justify giving my money to Microsoft for this.

Yeah I got rid of mine since GameStop was having a trade in controller promotion for the Halo controllers. Waiting to see if they do that again so I can get another.

Vader's identity is only not a spoiler because there wasn't an internet for people to complain about it at the time.

That's not how discussion often goes, though. Maybe discussion of Braid in the Steam thread leads to me saying that I feel like I'm chasing a princess that's running from me. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what I'm referencing.

You joke, but I read a specific version of the Bible in highschool English class called "the Bible as Literature."

But then who decides what's a real spoiler? See my example above, where people are upset about Dark Souls. Most normal people aren't mad about it, but there are plenty who are.

We're at a point where people and websites are getting shit on for leaking and/or revealing shit about an unreleased game before a Nintendo Direct or a marketing event and people are not only incredibly upset about this but angry at the leakers for ruining their perfect marketing moment for them.

It's just getting fucking stupid right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom