• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it might appeal to some.

cars3driventowin4.5610.jpg
Oh hell yeah.

I was saying as a joke that it should be like Burnout Revenge, but they went ahead and made it Twisted Metal

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Its now April and I havent begun to even consider doing either of my new year's resolutions:

Play a 4X game and play a VN.

giphy.gif

I imagine I'll have better luck with iOS, but are there any decent Brain Training-style games on Steam?

EDIT: What a waste of a top of the page post. Uhhhh.. anime sucks? Am I doing it right?

Can't help you on the first but the edit suggests your brain is already pretty well trained as it is.

xGreg

You’ve been selected to participate in this weekend’s closed beta test for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III! Your participation will play a valuable part in helping us make Dawn of War III as good as it can be!

YES! I can't wait!

Are the screenshots through Steam uncompressed now-a-days? I want to run a movie through it to take screens as it plays and not have to use extra software, or something much worse like going to Paint for every one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i thought u play analogue?

Does that count? I guess it does. I only got one of the endings tho.

Also I completely forgot that when I made that resolution lol, thats how much I cared for it >_>

Nabs

Are the screenshots through Steam uncompressed now-a-days? I want to run a movie through it to take screens as it plays and not have to use extra software, or something much worse like going to Paint for every one.

You can enable uncompressed shots in the settings. It'll save it to a separate folder.

Or you can use something like VLC and use their snapshot feature. You can set a hotkey under preferences > interface.

illusionary

Anyone else still have their chrono.gg streak going?

At 29 days I'm at 3106 coins.

25 days, 2,874 coins. I've not missed it yet since I started (I guess that I missed the first few days - I have a reminder set up each evening in Google Calendar.

Hopefully there'll be something decent to use the coins against soon!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
anyone played Beat Cop? http://store.steampowered.com/app/461950/

this was in my queue and looked interesting

It's the Paper's Please of police procedures. Or perhaps the pixel game version of Barney Miller and Adam-12 would be another way to describe it.

It's a simulation game where you actually go out and walk around the streets, giving tickets for people speeding or littering or minor crimes like getting into a fight, followed by talking to a superior office and being told what you did right/wrong, repeating for the next day. Eventually you get past the mundane stuff to sometimes, not always, do more "exciting" things like solve a murder, but even that is simulation and works like a more thorough and pixel version of L.A. Noire. All in a lovely point and click adventure style.

I liked it, but it's a hard sale to people wanting anything something action packed or don't want to sit through "mundane" work and getting a satisfaction of not screwing up and keeping things in order. There is a puzzle to all of it, like Papers, Please, so it can be rewarding in that sense when cases come together or you find the best way to handle each situation, but not quite a 'ah ha!" moment. Only get into it if you like simulation, management, and nothing I said really put you off on it.

zkylon

zkylewd
Does that count? I guess it does. I only got one of the endings tho.

Also I completely forgot that when I made that resolution lol, thats how much I cared for it >_>
if u didn't like analogue then you probably aren't gonna like anything else, so i'd cross that off my list if i were u

so now you're 50% off ur resolutions, not so bad

yuraya

Ughh Quake Champions beta using Bethesda launcher.

That is now 8 PC gaming clients pinned to my taskbar.

How much more can there be? Pls make it stop.

It's the Paper's Please of police procedures. Or perhaps the pixel game version of Barney Miller and Adam-12 would be another way to describe it.

It's a simulation game where you actually go out and walk around the streets, giving tickets for people speeding or littering or minor crimes like getting into a fight, followed by talking to a superior office and being told what you did right/wrong, repeating for the next day. Eventually you get past the mundane stuff to sometimes, not always, do more "exciting" things like solve a murder, but even that is simulation and works like a more thorough and pixel version of L.A. Noire. All in a lovely point and click adventure style.

I liked it, but it's a hard sale to people wanting anything something action packed or don't want to sit through "mundane" work and getting a satisfaction of not screwing up and keeping things in order. There is a puzzle to all of it, like Papers, Please, so it can be rewarding in that sense when cases come together or you find the best way to handle each situation, but not quite a 'ah ha!" moment. Only get into it if you like simulation, management, and nothing I said really put you off on it.

interesting. Thanks for the impressions. will keep an eye on it for a decent sale

oipic

Anyone else still have their chrono.gg streak going?

At 29 days I'm at 3106 coins.

I missed a day somehow, which irked me far more than it should (current streak is 16 days), but have 3,505 coins - which is perhaps accounted for by my extra 7 day streak bonus or something.

Rhaknar

Broke my rule of not buying indies outside of bundles, especially with monthly games around the corner. Im weak.

Leap of Fate deal ends tomorow before the monthly games get revealed friday ;_;

gngf123

Wasn't even aware Itch.io had a client. Thought they just had website downloads.

Only client I use outside of Steam is GOG. Honestly I prefer GOG, but most of my library is on Steam.

Stellaris: Utopia is out tomorrow. I want to squee.

...Is squeeing still a thing?

Oh man, this is tragic. Particularly the bottom of the article:
In a panel organised by the Centre for Computing History, ex-Ocean Software artist Simon Butler discussed his last project, which happened to be Terraria Otherworld (skip to the 55 minute mark).

Butler came in to work as a 2D artist on Otherworld in October 2014, a few months before the game was announced. He left in September 2015, less than a year later.

"First day, here's your PC," he said during the panel. "Excellent. Nice desk. Even got me the right software. So, what would you like me to do? Tumbleweed goes through the office. Well don't worry about it, we'll look at the game design. There isn't one. Oh, we don't have a game design, we have a wikipedia. Well, let's have a look at the wikipedia. Nothing has been touched on it for over a year.

"People had collected a salary and done nothing on the project for a year."

Like, omg.
anyone played Beat Cop? http://store.steampowered.com/app/461950/

this was in my queue and looked interesting

Rock, Paper, Shotgun's review of Beat Cop completely killed any interest I would've had.

I'd recommend reading it before pulling the trigger, because the game sounds pretty dire.

AHA-Lambda

I've got:

Steam
Blizzard App
Origin
UPlay
Epic Games Launcher

Another one is something I'm loathe to have at this point >_<

Rhaknar

can u sell it for me pls

I can try. It is a roguelike dual stick shooter with a permanent upgrade system (so rogue-lite?) with a neo goth technomagic asthetic.

You have a movement skill and a magic skill which are limited use (you can upgrade them throughout your runs via items or talents), or in the case of the magic skill, change them aswell (first dude you can use starts with a magic missile type thing, but I've used shurikens and also a golem).

The level system actually reminds me a lot of hand of fate, you have a tarot deck and you choose cards, they can be combat cards (which will have zero, 1, 2 or 3 chests in them, making them harder but giving more loot), challenge rooms, shop, gift rooms, etc until you reach a boss. You keep clearing cards until you reach the boss, but you can clear the whole board if you want to risk it, but health doesnt regen (skill use DOES regen tho which is important). As you progress you will also get mana, either from chests or from doing special kills, for example, killing someone by phasing into them (your movement skill) gives mana. Your talent tree that you level up as you progress also has special nodes that can make shit give mana, for example, blowing up cars gives mana. You use mana to upgrade and to buy stuff.

The talent tree does not carry over if you die (in fact it seems to be random) nor do your new skills you get and shit, but every set of levels you clear does have permanent upgrades, for example phasing causing damage is one of them, I also unlocked a second character (by clearing level 4), which has its own seperate story and talents and whatnot (and seperate permanent upgrades).

First dude uses a more shooty attack (with a shit range, which yes, can be upgraded lol) and the teleport/phase like I said, second dude has a beam (that overheats) and a teleport that leaves behind a decoy (I didnt play the second dude much, I died on the first level lol).

First chapter is 6 levels, I've only reached level 5 on the first dude. I dont know if you always have to start from level 1, or if you clear the 6 and die, you can then start from the new chapter, I sure hope so. Levels are very short which is a good thing, it has that "one more go" vibe to it from the very start. And levels ae of course, randomly generated (and bosses it seems).

Just beat all of Nier and erased my save. I have no interest to play any videogames anymore.

Maybe Danmaku Unlimited 3.
I feel like I missed out on something here because I wasn't quite hit with the feels bomb in the same way that others have been. I liked it, but I didn't quite get the impact. It's possible the game was too anime for me.

sheaaaa

Man I forget why I thought Shovel Knight was great. Replaying it again, and going through Specter Of Torment, and the game is just too frustrating to be fun. 90% of my deaths come from getting hit and therefore being unable to control my character as he plummets to his death in pits. That just doesn't feel like good design to me. On top of that, Specter Knight's wall climbing and wall jumping feel too fiddly to ever get a grasp on.

Rhaknar

oh awesome, the "meta" upgrade system is actually cumulative, you get upgrades at a certain amount of missions done, I thought it was when you got to those missions, but it counts even if you just do missions 1 and 2 over and over again (because you suck), I love that, eventually you will be strong enough to proceed even if youre really shit I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom