• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

I feel like I missed out on something here because I wasn't quite hit with the feels bomb in the same way that others have been. I liked it, but I didn't quite get the impact. It's possible the game was too anime for me.

Did you not feel anything during Route E? :/

Or Route B:
the VN section in the Simone bossfight?
Route C:
Anemone and A2s backstory VN, the Pascal stuff
some of the sidequest stories?
etc
:(

zkylon

zkylewd
I feel like I missed out on something here because I wasn't quite hit with the feels bomb in the same way that others have been. I liked it, but I didn't quite get the impact. It's possible the game was too anime for me.
i'm kinda similar

not because it was anime, i just didn't find it hit as strong as nier 1

i'm kinda similar

I agree with it not being as strong as the first. As much as I loved Automata there was nothing that made me feel the same way that
Kaine and Tyrann
the King of Façade in the Shadow Lord's Castle
or
Emil's sacrifice
. The
"Open the damn door!"/"Say, how many rules are there about what to shout before dying in battle?"
and
"No one stops!"/Emil's, "It will be alright."
are two of my favorite scenes in any game. There also wasn't a song that stuck with me as much as Kainé's Salvation/Escape.

In some ways it feels like a bit of unfair criticism since it did have a lot to live up to for me and I still loved the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
yea there's definitely nothing quite as amazing as some of those moments

i also didn't find nier 2 particularly good in itself, even if there's definitely things i like about it

so yeah, overall left a bitter taste in my mouth

Anteater

Structural wise I think automata follows similar design to Nier but added the open world thing, the gameplay is obviously better in terms of controls and combos but I don't feel like there's much depth to it just like the original Nier, sure you can pull off fancy ass combos but the enemies are punching bags. While the first game did a lot of other things better, you're going to mash some buttons eventually once you gained enough levels in either games and I didn't find the first Nier's gameplay as bad as people were making it out to be, first game still has a lot of variety on scenarios, boss encounters, puzzles and also text adventures that made it memorable, the "but the gameplay!" complaint reminds me a lot of the witcher 3 complaint I see a lot on gaf except the witcher 3 sold a shitload unlike the original Nier.

I enjoy both games enough so I will continue to keep playing automata and finish off all the left over quests because I have nothing better to do.

Wok

Yooka was patched, adressing Jim Sterling's initial criticisms (inconsistent framerate and camera).

The game is 25% off at GameBillet (thanks to Enhanced Steam for letting me know):

I don't know what to do now.

Did you not feel anything during Route E? :/

Or Route B:
the VN section in the Simone bossfight?
Route C:
Anemone and A2s backstory VN, the Pascal stuff
some of the sidequest stories?
etc
:(
Route E was nice!
But it was short. I still don't really understand what I'm supposed to take out of the post-credits scene.

So on Route B
Yes! It felt bad, but y'know, it's just a one-off boss fight. In that sense it's kind of like the MGS4 Beauty fights where you take them down and then Drebin gives you an overwrought expository backstory on them to paint them out tragically. It was the execution I suppose.

Route C
I'll be honest, I already have the Anemone A2 backstory a bit wiped from my memory as I suppose it never came off as significant. Pascal however, yes, I would say that is actually THE saddest moment in the game, I will give it that.

Sidequests
The sidequests were a bit too repetitive in how they turned out for me to actually get all that invested in them, though. Actually I think the ones that got me most tense were returning the child to the mother and the sister to the other sister -- they were tense in that with everything else being the way it was I did not want them to die, but 90% of the other side quests were just a matter of everyone being already dead or committing suicide, so it really stopped mattering to me.

i'm kinda similar

I've had a copy of the original for years now that I never got around to playing. Automata's giving me the motivation to finally pop it in, but I gotta decompress with some shootbang or something beforehand.

Which endings did you get?
All 5 core endings.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

ATV GP -- MB-5C0206D6690C40A4 - Taken by MaxiLive
BattleQuiz -- MB-D54526D2F2CA4543 - Taken by Eila
Greenwood: The Last Ritual -- MB-2E90B2916F976B3D - Taken by kionedrik
Hostile Dimension -- MB-E9D412B762ABA258 - Taken by madjoki
Killer Elite - Time to Die -- MB-5C2AAAD81EBACD85 - Taken by SSPssp
Mankind Defender -- MB-E390C646EA4343A7 - Taken by Hakkelus
Melter Man -- MB-B586D8C51BD78335 - Taken by InquisitorAles
Nary -- MB-AB953CC146BBD142 - Taken by voodooray
Project Tarvotan -- MB-70FA9209E31D7763 - Taken by fuzzy123

zkylon

zkylewd
Structural wise I think automata follows similar design to Nier but added the open world thing, the gameplay is obviously better in terms of controls and combos but I don't feel like there's much depth to it just like the original Nier, sure you can pull off fancy ass combos but the enemies are punching bags. While the first game did a lot of other things better, you're going to mash some buttons eventually once you gained enough levels in either games and I didn't find the first Nier's gameplay as bad as people were making it out to be, first game still has a lot of variety on scenarios, boss encounters, puzzles and also text adventures that made it memorable, the "but the gameplay!" complaint reminds me a lot of the witcher 3 complaint I see a lot on gaf except the witcher 3 sold a shitload unlike the original Nier.

I enjoy both games enough so I will continue to keep playing automata and finish off all the left over quests because I have nothing better to do.
i feel like mostly nier 1 benefited a lot from the surprise factor of its many homages and one off gameplay twists. being a more obscure game probably helped, but they also pull off the surprises with a lot of finesse, it was so cool

nier 2 is kind of screwed before it even began because we're all already expecting those crazy references and gameplay twists and it just doesn't have the same impact when they do it

sadly they ended up doing barely any cool gameplay twists or references or anything so you're mostly left with a combat system that's pretty fancy but also really shallow and none of that cool stuff to hide it like in nier 1

kionedrik

Can't say I feel the same, though I certainly am enjoying it. Feels a bit slower, a little clunkier, the dash trial being animated makes it a bit clumsy as well as dependant on the distance to activate it. I don't know perhaps my opinion will change the more I play

Imo the dashing and wall-climbing make it feel a lot faster when compared with the "bomb cooking" from Plague Knight. Before you had to cook, jump, land, cook again, jump (repeat till you're at the end of the hallway), now you can just chain slash attacks and make it across incredibly fast. The attacks themselves also feel a lot more satisfying, on par with Shovel Knight's, but that's probably due to the fact that it's melee weapons versus ranged weapons.

One thing I miss from Plague Knight is the personality. Specter Knight seems bland so far but I've only completed 2 levels so far so perhaps it'll develop over time.

Ascheroth

Route E was nice!
But it was short. I still don't really understand what I'm supposed to take out of the post-credits scene.

So on Route B
Yes! It felt bad, but y'know, it's just a one-off boss fight. In that sense it's kind of like the MGS4 Beauty fights where you take them down and then Drebin gives you an overwrought expository backstory on them to paint them out tragically. It was the execution I suppose.

Route C
I'll be honest, I already have the Anemone A2 backstory a bit wiped from my memory as I suppose it never came off as significant. Pascal however, yes, I would say that is actually THE saddest moment in the game, I will give it that.

Sidequests
The sidequests were a bit too repetitive in how they turned out for me to actually get all that invested in them, though. Actually I think the ones that got me most tense were returning the child to the mother and the sister to the other sister -- they were tense in that with everything else being the way it was I did not want them to die, but 90% of the other side quests were just a matter of everyone being already dead or committing suicide, so it really stopped mattering to me.

I've had a copy of the original for years now that I never got around to playing. Automata's giving me the motivation to finally pop it in, but I gotta decompress with some shootbang or something beforehand.

All 5 core endings.
Did you read the report in the archives you get when completing the game? It does a good job at shedding some additional light on it.
I find it pretty amusing that I felt similarly a little underwhelmed by the ending at first, but the more time passed and the more I let things sink in (and read that report), the more I like it in retrospect.

Sidequests:
One of my favorites was the one in the forest, with the animal loving machine. When you go get rid of the foreign pack, and it's protected by an animal-like machine, you kill them and get that archive entry and read it, and then go back to report the quest as done... chilling.
I guess it depends on how much they resonate with you, but I finished the game weeks ago and it's still stuck in my mind.

Did you read the report in the archives you get when completing the game? It does a good job at shedding some additional light on it.
I find it pretty amusing that I felt similarly a little underwhelmed by the ending at first, but the more time passed and the more I let things sink in (and read that report), the more I like it in retrospect.

I guess it depends on how much they resonate with you, but I finished the game weeks ago and it's still stuck in my mind.
Actually no! I didn't see that archives bit, but I did read the other ones I had prior to the ending. Oops. :p I'll be sure to check it out once I get on my home PC.

MUnited83

For you.
After Bayonetta releases, hopefully SEGA gets on porting the best SEGA game not on PC

Sega_Soccer_Slam_Coverart.png

zkylon

zkylewd
you should def try it, it's a lot rougher around the edges than nier 2 but it has actual characters and way better storytelling. you might get the opposite effect by playing nier 2 first but there's some fun surprises to be had in the vein of what you've seen in nier 2

also i agree with your comments on pretty much everything else, the sidequests ending up on tragedy after tragedy is not necessarily a bad thing since that's kind of the tone of the game but i also felt like by the end i wasn't feeling very engaged either

like in general i read people saying something about nier 2 felt "chilling" to them and i remember that moment and feeling like "oh yea that sucks" and moving on. same with some of the other things quoted here, to me the
"visual novels", so to speak,felt exactly the same way you said, lazy drebin-style exposition dumps

i really hate that most of what i can offer about nier 2 is negative words but i have a hard time thinking otherwise

Uzzy

i really hate that most of what i can offer about nier 2 is negative words but i have a hard time thinking otherwise

So far this year you've had negative words to say about Persona 4, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2 and now Nier Automata. I'm curious as to what games you do like? Other than LoL I mean!

Mission 7 in Dishonored 2 is legit. I mean, whoever designed and created this level is fucking genius. Probably best
time travel
implementation in videogames history. Technical issues are still noticeable though, every time i used
timepiece to look through time
FPS was dropping from 40-50 to 20-30. So amazing game and so disastrous engine...
Are the screenshots through Steam uncompressed now-a-days? I want to run a movie through it to take screens as it plays and not have to use extra software, or something much worse like going to Paint for every one.
There is no real difference between uncompressed and compressed Steam screenshots now, i guess Valve significantly improved their compression algorithms because even guys from PC screenshots thread agreed that compression is really low and unnoticeable.

zkylon

zkylewd
So far this year you've had negative words to say about Persona 4, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2 and now Nier Automata. I'm curious as to what games you do like? Other than LoL I mean!
hmm well, this year so far has kind of been a world of hurt for personal reasons so that might have something to do with me having a negative outlook on everything haha

i did play a fair bit of odallus: the dark call today and found that game to be quite great so there's that!

um... yeah... that's all i got

honestly haven't had much time for games outside of league and the ones i've made bets on have all disappointed me in some way or another

AHA-Lambda

I'm similar, although I am enjoying it.

Think my expectations were higher given the hype/reception.
Side content is mostly trash, and story hasn't been as fleshed out as I'd like? (not finished it yet, still need endings D & E)

It has many scenes I've found emotive and impactful, and had many likeable characters, but the grander plot itself isn't much more than the initial premise of "machines vs androids" it seems. Think of Routes A & B, not much going on there in story terms really - sort of what I said before about how the story is more character than plot driven, which is fine but not what I expected

I'm similar, although I am enjoying it.

Think my expectations were higher given the hype/reception.
Side content is mostly trash, and story hasn't been as fleshed out (?) as I'd like (not finished it yet, still need endings D & E); it has many scenes I've found emotive and impactful, and many likeable characters, but the grander plot itself isn't much more than the initial premise of "machines vs androids" it seems

To me its that:

Nier 1: Great characters, great story, meaningful cutscenes.
Nier 2: Good combat system (compared to 1), but the characters are just kinda "there".

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Same here. Most of it was fucked up, sure, but it didnt make me sad. Ive watched way too many fucked up anime to be affected by what Automata was putting out. Pascal stuff was great tho (again, in a fucked up way).

Im not even shitting on the game, I liked it a lot, but when I was done with all 5 "real" endings it felt overrated imo. And I still think Route B completely grinds the narrative to a halt, it should have been A and C.

Pachimari

Can't believe I've had Persona 5 since release and still haven't opened it. At this point I'm considering just returning it, since it seems like I'm not in the mood for it at all.

Anyway, gonna buy that wonderful bundle linked earlier.

AHA-Lambda

Same here. Most of it was fucked up, sure, but it didnt make me sad. Ive watched way too many fucked up anime to be affected by what Automata was putting out. Pascal stuff was great tho (again, in a fucked up way).

Im not even shitting on the game, I liked it a lot, but when I was done with all 5 "real" endings it felt overrated imo. And I still think Route B completely grinds the narrative to a halt, it should have been A and C.

Similar here.
Pascal stuff hit me hard though.

Got only D&E left, can't be bothered doing the rest

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357196.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

uO6NMdV.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-02507FADB5FF0AFA - Taken by Hag. 15 entrants total.

t1491483404z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357196.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Space Waifu -- MB-749E151C007233E0 - Taken by Danielsan. 23 entrants total.

t1491483589z1.png

Uzzy

Nier Automata, SteamGAF, Nier.

Mission 7 in Dishonored 2 is legit. I mean, whoever designed and created this level is fucking genius. Probably best
time travel
implementation in videogames history. Technical issues are still noticeable though, every time i used
timepiece to look through time
FPS was dropping from 40-50 to 20-30. So amazing game and so disastrous engine...

Did you do
anything to Aramis Stilton in the past?
There's so many amazing things to that level, I think it's the best single player level in any game for years. Dishonoured 2 does so much right, it's painful that it's poor performance hurts it.

hmm well, this year so far has kind of been a world of hurt for personal reasons so that might have something to do with me having a negative outlook on everything haha

i did play a fair bit of odallus: the dark call today and found that game to be quite great so there's that!

um... yeah... that's all i got

honestly haven't had much time for games outside of league and the ones i've made bets on have all disappointed me in some way or another

Well hopefully the personal issues get resolved. Glad you've enjoyed one game at least!

MaxiLive

Reading the Scropio reveal thread is interesting. Peeps seem to be expecting a lot!

I can't wait to see the salt after the reveal and even more speculation as I'm guessing the reveal is just going to be specifications with no software or hardware actually shown so the fan theories can run wild. Mah TFLOPs!

Now on to Steam, I've been trying to get back into the Witness but I'm finding it rather difficult after being away from it for so long. I'm bashing my head against the god damn swamp area hoping to get through it so I can start a fresh on a new set of puzzles.

Did you do
anything to Aramis Stilton in the past?
There's so many amazing things to that level, I think it's the best single player level in any game for years. Dishonoured 2 does so much right, it's painful that it's poor performance hurts it.
I just knocked him down since I'm doing low-chaos full stealth playthrough. I guess
future will be different if i'll kill him
, right? Definitely going to do high-chaos walkthough right after end credits.

Uzzy

I just knocked him down since I'm doing low-chaos full stealth playthrough. I guess
future will be different if i'll kill him
, right? Definitely going to do high-chaos walkthough right after end credits.

Sure is.

High Chaos Emily is crazy fun. She talks constantly about how she should have been executing traitors, signing death warrants with a rubber stamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom