• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzi

I saw the Duke Nukem shit that they threw in there. It's pretty awful.
So pretty much on par with Gearbox

Jawmuncher

Just think, if Bethesda hadn't tried to take over human head with cheap tactics.
They'd probably be working on Prey 3 right now.

There's option to turn off color filter. (assuming that comparison has it on)

Someone else said this in the thread, so I hope that is the case. Since I do want to replay it at some point.

Aaron D.

gUS8wlK.jpg

Galactic Keep is the real deal, y'all.

r3n4ud

To all you guys complaining you don't want to play the other endings in Nier, why did you buy it?

Everyone and their dog knows the story continues after ending A.

Aaron D.

To all you guys complaining you don't want to play the other endings in Nier, why did you buy it?

I'm not complaining, but rather speaking to my gameplay style.

Which has a lot to do with why I didn't pick the game up.

My schedule is just too tight to bother with revisiting the same game assets repeatedly, even if it is from different perspectives.

I don't even have time to play the variety of new titles currently in rotation as it is.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Henry Swanson, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Demon Hearts -- MB-B3721758E16316D8 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat

monthlies

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (the_firewithin, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Event[0] -- MB-20F13F8A9D24C290 - Taken by longlivegaming. 22 entrants total.
Kingdom: New Lands Royal Edition -- MB-BFE876BEDFF2C053 - Taken by Dream_Journey. 17 entrants total.
Slime-san -- MB-B80301E45B9C1B4D - Taken by NeoRaider. 8 entrants total.

t1491679959z1.png

Ludens

Banned
So, some impressions about games I played this week:

Layers of Fear Inheritence: I liked the vanilla Layers of Fear, even if it was a game with some issues for sure. But the title was nice, it reminded me about PT in some ways and still I don't know how to get some endings, the story was fascinating and the soundtrack very atmospheric. Sadly the dlc is nothing like that. It adds a little bit to the story no one asked for: clumsy controls, uninspired gameplay, very short (30 minutes=. Plus I hate when a game forces me to play it for three times by doing small changes in and there with no real impact just to see the "real" ending, a 5 seconds cutscene. Nah, I'll stick with the default ending, thanks. 5€ for this is way too much, it should've come as a free update in my opinion considering what offered in the end.

-The Uncertain Episode 1. Thia one was a surprise. It's similar to TWD by Telltale, only with much interaction but not complex enough puzzles to be defined as point and click game in my opinion. The plot is interesting, graphics are well done and the game is optimized. The only issue here is...the main character is just too slow. Really, I think it's an easy fix, but devs should really make it more responsive and fast. Will look toward episode 2 for sure.

So, about Dawn of War 3 beta. I'm big fan of Warhammer 40k universe, i played all previous DoW games and loved them. Whoever, after beta I'm still not sure that i'll buy DoW3 on release. First of all, something is wrong with graphics, units feels disconnected from environments, effects and physics doesn't feel so impressive, and overall graphics looks... Too blurry? Or this is just my imagination? I don't know, settings menu is lacking customization options so i guess there is forced blur and it's impossible to disable it? I don't like this at all and hope there will be more options in final build.
In beta you can play only tutorial and online skirmish, no Player vs AI unfortunately. This is really disappointing since I'm not into multiplayer, and tutorial is very basic and only about spacemarines, it's impossible to understand even basic gameplay tricks from it. I played few online matches and lose every time, maybe i'm doing something wrong but there is always not enough resources for quick expanding even if you captured almost half of strategic points. I didn't found any match options either, like amount of starting resources, resources sharing or game speed. Right now for me game feels too slow and confusing, and without proper skirmish battles with AI i don't have any desire to play it more.
Also, just my regional thing. Russian translation is garbage, they translated servitor as "repair module", fonts are really bad compared to english, just look at this mess.
I'm still hope that campaign will be good, but it's not enough to justify day one purchase for that price. Probably it's more reasonable to wait for sale and first big DLCs, original DoW2 was not amazing too before Chaos Rising and Retribution. But at least it's good to see that Relic is bringing back base building and trying to do something more like first DoW.

data

So, about Dawn of War 3 beta. I'm big fan of Warhammer 40k universe, i played all previous DoW games and loved them. Whoever, after beta I'm still not sure that i'll buy DoW3 on release. First of all, something is wrong with graphics, units feels disconnected from environments, effects and physics doesn't feel so impressive, and overall graphics looks... Too blurry? Or this is just my imagination? I don't know, settings menu is lacking customization options so i guess there is forced blur and it's impossible to disable it? I don't like this at all and hope there will be more options in final build.

In beta you can play only tutorial and online skirmish, no Player vs AI unfortunately. This is really disappointing since I'm not into multiplayer, and tutorial is very basic and only about spacemarines, it's impossible to understand even basic gameplay tricks from it. I played few online matches and lose every time, maybe i'm doing something wrong but there is always not enough resources for quick expanding even if you captured almost half of strategic points. I didn't found any match options either, like amount of starting resources, resources sharing or game speed. Right now for me game feels too slow and confusing, and without proper skirmish battles with AI i don't have any desire to play it more.
Also, just my regional thing. Russian translation is garbage, they translated servitor as "repair module", fonts are really bad compared to english, just look at this mess.

I'm still hope that campaign will be good, but it's not enough to justify day one purchase for that price. Probably it's more reasonable to wait for sale and first big DLCs, original DoW2 was not amazing too before Chaos Rising and Retribution. But at least it's good to see that Relic is bringing back base building and trying to do something more like first DoW.

Maybe the blur comes from the AA?

I guess I'm not seeing what y'all are seeing in the original Bulletstorm colouring, I think the remaster looks better, has a little less of that bog standard generic UE3 look to it. Generally warmer looking as well, as opposed to the colder colour tones of the original, so I find the remaster more appropriate to what the game's environments are.

kionedrik

The Witness is the newest member of the "games that make me physically ill" group. Instead of providing harder puzzles and more complex solutions, the puzzles near the end decide to flash you with seizure inducing strobe lights and vomit inducing rotations and movements. I'm fully expecting to find some puzzles with chalkboard scratching sounds in the next couple of rooms.
Well done, development team.

Any way to stop screen tearing in Momodora IV's fullscreen mode? I don't see V-sync options in the in-game menu, forcing it on in NVIDIA CP didn't help, and using borderless gaming leaves the top of the window border visible for some reason.

Ludens

Banned
Gearbox is simply out of mind on selling a remastered for 46€. I mean, it's a REMASTERED, and it costs like new game while they just gave the title a coat of paint.
The same applies to Duke Nukem, I know they created a couple of new levels but...really? Selling a game bundled for 1$ and also given for free on GOG for 20€ just because they added a couple of levels...it's insane.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The Witness is the newest member of the "games that make me physically ill" group. Instead of providing harder puzzles and more complex solutions, the puzzles near the end decide to flash you with seizure inducing strobe lights and vomit inducing rotations and movements. I'm fully expecting to find some puzzles with chalkboard scratching sounds in the next couple of rooms.
I have epilepsy, so thanks for the warning. It's better to read about this stuff then discovering it the hard way.
Loved my time with the game, even though I didn't finish it. Looks like it will stay that way.

I've played through the first 3 chapters of Slayaway Camp and puzzle fans should definitively check it out. The game's setting is really fun for a puzzle game and so far the levels are well made. The difficulty is slightly below your average indie puzzle game (easier than tetrobot & the swapper, far easier than snakebird).

Wok

Honestly, I just don't have the patience for multiple playthoughs of story-rich games anymore. If a dev couldn't be bothered to lay it all out the first time, why would I go back again and again to pick up the remaining bits?

Feels like it's wasting my time.

Not a popular opinion, esp. about the all-coveted Nier. But there it is.

You cannot play the whole Night in the Woods then.

I'm in gaming heaven with Nier and Persona 5 right now, holy shit.

I had some overdue vacation time so I'm just going to chill with these awesome games next week. Also need to finish Cold Steel 2.
I hope I can at least finish Nier before Trails 3rd is out.

tuxfool

Banned
Honestly, I just don't have the patience for multiple playthoughs of story-rich games anymore. If a dev couldn't be bothered to lay it all out the first time, why would I go back again and again to pick up the remaining bits?

As opposed to playing a large Bethesda game, which are all about wasting people's time with meaningless tasks and little narrative payoff. A single playthrough isn't long, so that naturally facilitates going through each segment separately. I mean, it is fine, route A has an ending for those that don't really care about the story, but the game doesn't cater to those that want to know more and expect to have the story shovelled through their mouth.

Ascheroth

Why is it so hard to understand that 'the first time' in Nier is not over when you see the credits? You can see the credits in the damn tutorial if you're bad.

But I give up.

Parsnip

I don't remember that part at all.

Knurek

I just finished ending B of Nier. So good, can't wait to get into C and D.

Honestly, do you have the patience for multiple playthoughs of story-rich games anymore?If a dev couldn't be bothered to lay it all out the first time, why would you go back again and again to pick up the remaining bits?

I just completed half of the walking castle using paper take notes, then I got to the laser and realized my notes weren't good enough. Bah, back down I go.

Oh, the monitors are still lit. That's not too bad.

prudislav

Gearbox is simply out of mind on selling a remastered for 46€. I mean, it's a REMASTERED, and it costs like new game while they just gave the title a coat of paint.
The same applies to Duke Nukem, I know they created a couple of new levels but...really? Selling a game bundled for 1$ and also given for free on GOG for 20€ just because they added a couple of levels...it's insane.
wait there are new levels for duke???? I originally always thought its just duke skin, voicover and guns in usual Bulltestorm levels :-/ confused now

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I'm looking forward to playing both Nier and Nier: Automata, but man.
It's a weird title.

Nier means "kidney" in Dutch

Gotta finish Persona 4 and Thimbleweed Park first, though. I'm loving both.

Played a couple of hours from Superhot today. I've wanted to play it for ages but I never got around to buying the darn thing. I loved the concept from it's earliest inception in 2013 and it still feels incredibly fresh and fun.
However, the game's strange presentation has taken me by surprise and not in a good way. If I weren't loving the mechanics as much as I do I probably would have stopped playing.
Ah well, can't have it all.

Ladekabel

100%ed hollow knight

everyone who has even a passing interest in metroidvanias should get this game

I will once the Switch version comes out and I can explore the world on my commute. Too many Metroidvanias where I rushed through the story at a point because I want to work on my backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom