• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Serious Sam 3: BFE -- MB-1E07D06465D26A82 - Taken by data. 3 entrants total.
Serious Sam Double D XXL -- MB-4192404A602AD00E - Taken by Javier23. 2 entrants total.
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-0C4A5D42313B2647 - Taken by Mikurden. 2 entrants total.
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter -- MB-6C7A511BCA3C7D5F

t1491996094z1.png

PaulSane

Not sure if serious.

I might be wrong here, but it looks to me that the "movie", at least in one of the quoted posts, is referring to original 1995 Ghost in the shell (animated) movie, and the "anime" refers to subsequent anime series Ghost in the shell: Stand alone complex.

Tizoc

I might be wrong here, but it looks to me that the "movie", at least in one of the quoted posts, is referring to original 1995 Ghost in the shell (animated) movie, and the "anime" refers to subsequent anime series Ghost in the shell: Stand alone complex.

As in the animated movie, gotcha. I ought to watch that someday actually :p
The 2017 movie really could've just kept the themes but didn't go with the moronic whitewashing shit.

I'm not beating any games what the hell.

I blame GAF.

I just finished my 77th game this year and may finish up a few arcade games I got on Vita and Steam to reach 80.

So... Nier Automata has seen a lot of movement on SteamDB. Are we expecting an extensive patch or just a really late Fullscreen fix + DLC ?

kionedrik

I've finished The Witness this past weekend. Overall, I found it to be a very good game well worth the praise but with some questionable design decisions that retract from the fun and sometimes make it seem like a battle of attrition between the player and the game.

1- Moving and rotating puzzles. Simply put, fuck them all. I don't know if it's the movement speed, how close your face is shoved into the puzzles, the color pallet or a combination of all of the above, but these had the tendency to make me physically ill and nauseous which is something I've never experienced in a videogame before.

2- Disabling puzzles after failure. Why? What does it accomplish? All it does is force you to get back the previous puzzle and solve it again. It's busy work and literal filler.

3- In a game about exploration and discovery, where are the "% complete" statistics? I know this is somewhat controversial considering the subject and themes of the game but is a menu with X% puzzles solved or Y% of logs found such an immersion breaker?

4- Auto-restarting the game once you beat it is an awful idea considering there's a ton of side content that you may have missed. Once again, busy work reloading the save right before you end the game.

5- The timed challenge in the caves. It's a neat idea with an awful implementation.
Want me to solve random timed puzzles? No problem.
What if besides being random they would also be in random locations? Well I'm not sure that's such a good idea...
What if besides that, there's also a maze with no landmarks where you need to find 2 puzzles in random locations? ...
What if there's also 2 of those lovely rotating puzzles at the end and the puzzles are disabled if you fail them? Just. Fuck. You.

This last point is where I'm stuck. It has drained all of my will to keep going through the caves in search of new challenges. I might just simply uninstall the game and forget about it forever.

NEO0MJ

Ain't stopping me from getting another 6 games later this week including Bayonetta.

Sometimes you just gotta DIVE in, or just play through you damned backlog already :V

How can you go through​ your backlog when you add games faster than you can clear them 🤔

I'm super tempted to buy Bayonetta just to support them but I have too many games. Trying to finish Total Warhammer and then Persona.

Wok

2- Disabling puzzles after failure. Why? What does it accomplish? All it does is force you to get back the previous puzzle and solve it again. It's busy work and literal filler.

To force the player to understand the mechanics. If a puzzle is failed, it is likely the previous puzzle was brute-forced.

3- In a game about exploration and discovery, where are the "% complete" statistics? I know this is somewhat controversial considering the subject and themes of the game but is a menu with X% puzzles solved or Y% of logs found such an immersion breaker?

It would have broken several surprises. It is one of these games which the player thinks he has beaten, only to discover that he is only one third through.

5- The timed challenge in the caves. It's a neat idea with an awful implementation.
Want me to solve random timed puzzles? No problem.
What if besides being random they would also be in random locations? Well I'm not sure that's such a good idea...
What if besides that, there's also a maze with no landmarks where you need to find 2 puzzles in random locations? ...
What if there's also 2 of those lovely rotating puzzles at the end and the puzzles are disabled if you fail them? Just. Fuck. You.

This last point is where I'm stuck. It has drained all of my will to keep going through the caves in search of new challenges. I might just simply uninstall the game and forget about it forever.

This is the real deal. Thankfully, it is challenging.

Pachimari

When I wrote anime I was referring to the 1995 film. That one was bad. And the movie really improved upon it.

Also, Playerunknowns Battlegrounds is my GOTY so far. The gunplay is so damn good.

Monooboe

Ah finally finished Mass Effect Andromeda. Sadly, it really was a disappointment as everyone were saying. It just had so many small things at were both poorly designed and executed and so many cliché moments. Still, I did play it for 75 hours so it did something right. If they do decide to make Andromeda 2 I will be there day one, because one would hope it is better realized that this game did set up enought interesting things and I do want to explore more.

Arthea

When I wrote anime I was referring to the 1995 film. That one was bad. And the movie really improved upon it.

Also, Playerunknowns Battlegrounds is my GOTY so far. The gunplay is so damn good.

seriously? There are not enough facepalm walls on the web for me to express what I think about this opinion

Ah finally finished Mass Effect Andromeda. Sadly, it really was a disappointment as everyone were saying. It just had so many small things at were both poorly designed and executed and so many cliché moments. Still, I did play it for 75 hours so it did something right. If they do decide to make Andromeda 2 I will be there day one, because one would hope it is better realized that this game did set up enought interesting things and I do want to explore more.

IDK, I wouldn't call something I can spend 75 hours with disappointment, not quite living up to expectations? yeah, disappointment? no
I thought it is a very buggy game, and crashes often, so I probably couldn't play it regardless. Or have they patched it already?

Monooboe

IDK, I wouldn't call something I can spend 75 hours with disappointment, not quite living up to expectations? yeah, disappointment? no
I thought it is a very buggy game, and crashes often, so I probably couldn't play it regardless. Or have they patched it already?

You are right, I was mostly thinking "disappointment" in the sense that it didn't meet expectations. I went to it directly after playing Dragon Age Inqusition again and that was a much more polished game and one I actually liked alot more and I've always prefered the Mass Effect universe to that of Dragon Age.

I think what drove me most in Adromeda was the sense of exploration and being curious as to what I would find. What I found never really was that exciting. Where was alot of pontential everywhere but was not realized in a good way.

I did however really like the new alien races and is why I really would like a second game so they could get more fleshed out.

I played it on Xbox One so I never had crashes but it still was quite buggy, while there was a patch I didn't notice anything improving.(though I am sure it did fix a bunch)

Pachimari

seriously? There are not enough facepalm walls on the web for me to express what I think about this opinion

I respectfully disagree with your opinion.

But, I will give it a rewatch and another chance for sure. I'm only doing this for Uzzy though!

I want to see if I can get through Dishonored at least. I expect a 15 hour game, also because I'm damn slow with my games. I like the atmosphere but I really dislike how the characters look. That visual style is something I must get used to.

at this point, I would start to speculate on how long Gearbox can have so many commercial failures in the PC market before Take Two decides enough is enough

Personally I hope it's soon. Gearbox is a joke, and nothing they've done since the first Borderlands has been worth the energy it takes to even just consider playing.

Shut 'em down, use those resources on something worthwhile, like Ken Levine's new studio. Pitchford can go become another one of those failed indie has-beens.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
think the easiest (and probable) purchase from the april 11th diluge for me is CSH. Nice price, nice discount, looks great, good lenght from what I hear (15-20 hours).

The rest, with me still only (lol) 25 hours into Persona, arent exactly a priority. I already finished Bayo on 360 back then so ill buy it down the line for sure and it has no discount so buying it now or later is the same shit. Same for Brutalle (on the price front that is) and that game is too much of a unknown. Shock Tactics is too expensive for a blind purchase on what looks like janky xcom clone that is bundle bound sooner or later and only my xcom fanboyness would make me buy it. Yooka is a humble monthly game for me as I dont have any Banjo nostalgia.

kionedrik

To force the player to understand the mechanics. If a puzzle is failed, it is likely the previous puzzle was brute-forced.

I didn't brute-force any puzzle but sometimes fails happen, especially when the mechanics are new or are jumbled together with other mechanics and you're not sure how they interact together. It was unnecessary backtracking.

Tomasety

I was wrong when I thought Bayonetta had the cheapest row key price around on gamesplanet UK. It turns out its on Bundlestars but you will need to have a british IP to see it. It's £12.74.

Pachimari

Can't believe it. Bought Bayonetta yesterday. And now I see Dishonored 2, Mankind Divided and Battlefront all on sale. Plus I want The Sexy Brutale.

Argh... I'll just stay to Dishonored. Such interesting gameplay mechanics, and that whole rat thing seems to be a strike of genius.

ezodagrom

Thanks everyone! Is there any way of increasing the size of it? Really tiny when using 4K DSR
Afterburner, settings, On-Screen Display, More, there's a slider named On-Screen Display zoom.

There's also settings to change the colour (palette) and add a shadow (which helps making it more visible).
Personally I use white in the first palette circle and have a shadow, which I find to look pretty nice.

http://i.imgur.com/aXJDiyw.jpg

I was wrong when I thought Bayonetta had the cheapest row key price around on gamesplanet UK. It turns out its on Bundlestars but you will need to have a british IP to see it. It's £12.74.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I'm probably gonna have to grab it at this price.

Price:
US $14.99, 10% off on launch!

The only right price for indie games. The developers are smart.

One of the devs talks a bit about the game's rogue-lite mechanics:

Hi there! Game designer here! We use rogue-lite as a shortcut, but you might be right, the term has lost its meaning a bit for sure!

Here's how Flinthook works!

- The game is split in different chapters, called Bounties, in which you have to play a number of levels, then you'll encounter a boss level. If you die in a Bounty, you'll have to start over. If you complete a Bounty, you unlock the next one permanently, and you can go back to the old bounties to practice or get a high score/speedrun!
- When you die, you lose the items you've collected and have to start the bounty over. BUT - gold you collect is added up and turned into XP, which gives you Perk Packs when you level up! Perk cards are cool, they give you a wide variety of effects like longer range for your gun, faster movement, double jump, more healing, etc. You collect a ton of those perk cards, and at the start of each run you can equip a number of those - each card costs Perk Slots, and you have a certain number of Slots.
- There are also a bunch of permanent upgrades to buy in the Black Market, using Black Market Coins found by finishing levels and beating bosses. Those unlock subweapons, give XP multipliers, unlock hardcore modes, etc.

So for the comparison, it has some progression like Rogue Legacy, and some customization at the start of every run thanks to the perk cards!

I hope you'll enjoy this!

- Dom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom