• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarrodL

The Nonary Games sales numbers are a tragedy, those games deserve way better numbers. Here's hoping it's going to have legs like the Danganronpa games (they started off as a bomba as well, but both are over 100k now).

40€ for non-waifu visual novels
Nonsense.
akane_zero_escape_the_nonary_games_5_54.jpg

The Nonary Games sales numbers are a tragedy, those games deserve way better numbers. Here's hoping it's going to have legs like the Danganronpa games (they started off as a bomba as well, but both are over 100k now).

Nonsense.

Danganronpa started of as bomba?
Didnt it sell like 30k in one month?

Besides that, the Nonary games are imo right now still too expensive and it didnt make much sense to first release the last game, then the first two of a trilogy.

Rizzi

I got ending A of Nier Automata, and it made me never want to play it again.
I'm sorry, I have to play the whole game again to see something new?
Nope.

Nope.

The game isnt finished. Route B is actually really quick, since you are already leveled and I would argue you can finish Route B in 2-3 hours if you just rush through it.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Nope.

The game isnt finished. Route B is actually really quick, since you are already leveled and I would argue you can finish Route B in 2-3 hours if you just rush through it.

It's also got a few new things since you're doing it from a different perspective, and have an ability that basically lets you skip fights. And you can effectively ignore most or all of the sidequests.

But if you don't like playing the game more of it obviously won't be fun.

Vlad

First playthrough of Cave Story and I'm really enjoying it. Only mistake was probably starting in easy mode, but I could see myself replaying it sometime. Out of the waterway, now back in the village. Soundtrack is great.

You're probably going to want to replay it anyway, since
the "true" ending is only accessible via doing a series of actions that are fairly non-obvious.

But that's the point

What couldve helped is putting the preview video right after the credits of [A] rather than

I know thats the point but here on GAF I saw so many people saying they finished the game even though they only finished Route A.

Imagine if DMC4 would have showed credits before you got old Dante.

I don't really want to run around seeing the same shit I saw for the past 15 hours.

But you can finish the Route really quickly, the later part of Route B is totally different

You are hacking a lot after you were abducted by Adam
and the game also continues.

Jawmuncher

With a lot of the complaints towards Nier (not just in this thread but in other places as well). Nier: A really should've been either a shorter game right per route, or ditched the semi-open space.

Seems like a good chunk of people do route A, decide to do some side quests, it bloats the game length and by the time they're done and route B starts, there is no drive to go further.

I don't really blame them. When you put in 15 hours for just one route, you're gonna question if you should even play more. I will say that if you ditch side quests and focus on just story, the whole game is easily beaten under 20 hours.

I had made a chipset just to boost my speed to run to areas faster that had no fast travel.

Lain

Nonsense.

They came out with the wrong price point and a wrongly set bundle.

Hektor

I know thats the point but here on GAF I saw so many people saying they finished the game even though they only finished Route A.

Imagine if DMC4 would have showed credits before you got old Dante.

I mean, i don't need to imagine that cos that's exactly what it is lol.

Whle what you propose would make more sense from a business decision, the real issue is how close minded a lot of people tend to be.

If it weren't for the credits, If the game would treat Route as a flashback that happens during the end of Route [A] people wouldn't constantly talk about replaying the game even if nothign else would be changed.

I don't really want to run around seeing the same shit I saw for the past 15 hours.

I'm just gonna leave this here even if the video, the comments and videorecommendations spoiler basically the entire game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emmXA2OElj8

Jawmuncher

I'll play Devils advocate here and say if you didn't like Route A. You aren't gonna find much enjoyment in the later routes.

Since a good chunk of enjoyment in the later routes is being interested in the story/characters. Which if you aren't already at this point, there's not much left to look forward to.

Arthea

I didn't buy Nonary bundle because it was too expensive, I understand that it contains two games, meaning games aren't awfully expensive, but it's still 42€ at the time when there are so many games releasing. I had to make some hard decisions this year, and not only Nonary games related.
I must say that I feel bad about it, though, but then again I can't spend everything I make on games especially when there is no chance to play those games any time soon.

edited: in other news I reached 49% completion rate on steam, yay! only
(lol)
1% left to my goal!

Jawmuncher

I didn't buy Nonary bundle because it was too expensive, I understand that it contains too games, meaning games aren't awfully expensive, but it's still 42€ at the time when there are so many games releasing. I had to make some hard decisions this year, and not only Nonary games related.
I must say that I feel bad about it, though, but then again I can't spend everything I make on games especially when there is no chance to play those games any time soon.

Don't feel bad. They bubdled superior 999 with the terrible VLR. Then overpriced it (should've been 40 for both). They got themselves into that mess.

deejay

If you thought the story of ending A was great then you should play through the rest I think, but if you - like me - thought it was just ok then you're better off watching videos of the different endings. I played through the different endings earlier this week but wasn't blown away.

Uzzy

Nope.

It's a shame that you'll miss out on 2/3rds of a masterpiece. But that's fine, not everything is for everyone.

I did my part, but I haven't started them yet. They seem like quite a bit of a time investment, especially when school is getting so busy for me right now.

Knurek

I didn't buy Nonary bundle because it was too expensive, I understand that it contains two games, meaning games aren't awfully expensive, but it's still 42€ at the time when there are so many games releasing. I had to make some hard decisions this year, and not only Nonary games related.

You're the reason 428 will be exclusive to PS4.
I'm holding you personally responsible.

59% completion, come at me bro

Hektor

If you thought the story of ending A was great then you should play through the rest I think, but if you - like me - thought it was just ok then you're better off watching videos of the different endings. I played through the different endings earlier this week but wasn't blown away.

I mean no offense, but if you watch a video of what ammounts to the majority of the game, you might as well refund it and watch the entire game as lets play instead

Don't feel bad. They bubdled superior 999 with the terrible VLR. Then overpriced it (should've been 40 for both). They got themselves into that mess.

It makes sense that they'd bundle the both for the retail release due to how much money would get lost on disc printing and shipping if they split them up, but bundling them digitally really is weird.

People are much, much more likely to give this niche of a niche franchise a chance if it would be one for 25, rather than 2 for 50.

Ascheroth

But that's the point

What couldve helped is putting the preview video right after the credits of [A] rather than

Nah, I think that would be worse for those who enjoyed the game to begin with, just to appease to those who didn't. Route B is kind of low-key and allows you to digest Route A while giving a new perspective on some and with some new mechanics to spice things up. Then it's over and the preview hits and you're HOLY SHIT. I think it would diminish the entire third part of the game.

With a lot of the complaints towards Nier (not just in this thread but in other places as well). Nier: A really should've been either a shorter game right per route, or ditched the semi-open space.

Seems like a good chunk of people do route A, decide to do some side quests, it bloats the game length and by the time they're done and route B starts, there is no drive to go further.

I don't really blame them. When you put in 15 hours for just one route, you're gonna question if you should even play more. I will say that if you ditch side quests and focus on just story, the whole game is easily beaten under 20 hours.

I had made a chipset just to boost my speed to run to areas faster that had no fast travel.
No.

I mean, i don't need to imagine that cos that's exactly what it is lol.

Whle what you propose would make more sense from a business decision, the real issue is how close minded a lot of people tend to be.

If it weren't for the credits, If the game would treat Route as a flashback that happens during the end of Route [A] people wouldn't constantly talk about replaying the game even if nothign else would be changed.

Yeah, exactly. Although I'm not exactly sure how anyone can think 'this is totally the same thing the entire time'. I mean Route B opens with a brand new cutscene where you play a goddamn robot,
only to swith to 9S as a playable character and the entire tutorial was extremely shortened. I mean, if this doesn't scream like 'this is not going to be the exact same thing', I don't know what does.

idk, stopping at route a is like finishing one run of binding of isaac, or stopping mgs2 at the tanker. do what you want but i guess you wasted your money.

Nonsense.

Yeah, but I think there's a possible improvement for the collection.
Also, they should've made them available separately. First for marketing reasons, second because I hate to have these two games into one.

NeoRaider

idk, stopping at route a is like finishing one run of binding of isaac, or stopping mgs2 at the tanker. do what you want but i guess you wasted your money.

I finished route A after 15h of playing and i don't feel like i wasted my money. I liked it for what it is. I know that there's more, and i could probably force myself playing other routes but i don't want to do that, and that's ok i guess.
I am probably far from being the only one to not continue, so maybe one day i will but like i said already nothing in route A made me think: "I have to continue playing this game, and find every single piece of story/secret/item..."

Ozium

I refunded Sexy Brutale.. the premise is interesting but the gameplay from what I played seemed rather dull.. the character walks slow, the area you walk in is zoomed out and there's lots of wasted screen space. I didn't like how you can't just walk around and check things out because if you walk into a room with someone in it you have to run away...

I stopped the second murder without even knowing what I was supposed to be stopping because I solved the 'puzzle' before learning anything about what is happening..

not worth the asking price imo, if it was 10 I wouldn't mind but I got other things to play so RIP... will play after acquiring from a bundle

Jawmuncher

Nah, I think that would be worse for those who enjoyed the game to begin with, just to appease to those who didn't. Route B is kind of low-key and allows you to digest Route A while giving a new perspective on some and with some new mechanics to spice things up. Then it's over and the preview hits and you're HOLY SHIT. I think it would diminish the entire third part of the game.

No.

Yeah, exactly. Although I'm not exactly sure how anyone can think 'this is totally the same thing the entire time'. I mean Route B opens with a brand new cutscene where you play a goddamn robot,
only to swith to 9S as a playable character and the entire tutorial was extremely shortened. I mean, if this doesn't scream like 'this is not going to be the exact same thing', I don't know what does.

The fact of the matter is peope aren't enjoying the game. There ain't much you can do about that, besides maybe tell them to push through and hope by the time ending E rolls around they turned around on the game.

But being on the side that thought the game was just ok (not bad but not some amazing masterpiece). I can see why people are getting hung up and not wanting to carry on.

The flow of the game can be very off putting, it wants to be an rpg and an action as well as a bullet shooter. Which is part of the time, but for some when you invest 15 hours already into that and get burnt out. You aren't gonna feel like going forward. The changes in the other routes aren't even that big. You really just get 2 new techniques at your disposal. The if you aren't a fan of the characters and story, you're in quite the hole.

I still stand that at least for the people who aren't enjoying the game. Had he made instead a more focused action game, and each ending route was kind of shown as it's own character. I think these people would enjoy it more.

A good chunk of the advertising really played up the platinum and action aspects. The demo especially which is just the opening and gives a rather false idea of what the game is.

MGS2 is a bad example. You start as Raiden in an entirely new location and everything else. You don't play as Olga and see her point of view in the tanker.

Nope.
I'm in the same boat, i finished route A, put almost 17 hours in it, and started route B but can't force myself to continue playing. I was trying to do sidequests, felt bored quickly, and after i tried to progress storyline a little - BAM, and all my in-progress sidequests suddenly canceled. And now i need to start them again and play almost same story, and i hate 9S because he is annoying dumbass. Openworld and RPG shit in this game are huge letdown, i simply can't enjoy Nier, i feel like game is constantly trying to destroy my goodwill with dumb design decisions.

Hakkelus

Will there be some kind of Easter sale on Steam? I vaguely remember seeing some eggs, bunnies and stuff on some store page somewhere, sometime in the past.

Arthea

but I asked for those games, it's just that this year is so total nuts for me, a good year, an amazing even, but I can't buy all great games that are released.

You're the reason 428 will be exclusive to PS4.
I'm holding you personally responsible.

59% completion, come at me bro

nice! I'll get there.... in another 10 years! just you wait

Will there be some kind of Easter sale on Steam? I vaguely remember seeing some eggs, bunnies and stuff on some store page somewhere, sometime in the past.

nope, steam doesn't have Easter sales

Tizoc

Cool to see Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is day and date with the PS4 release

I ain't getting ti day 1 due to KOEI's incompetence.
Unless I see some actual footage that shows they put actual work into the PC ver. I ain't grabbing it til a price error or some ish.

NeoRaider

I'm in the same boat, i finished route A, put almost 17 hours in it, and started route B but can't force myself to continue playing. I was trying to do sidequests, felt bored quickly, and after i tried to progress storyline a little - BAM, and all my in-progress sidequests suddenly canceled. And now i need to start them again and play almost same story, and i hate 9S because he is annoying dumbass. Openworld and RPG shit in this game are huge letdown, i simply can't enjoy Nier, i feel like game is constantly trying to destroy my goodwill with dumb design decisions.

I have similar problem with many open-world games today. It looks to me like some games are open-world for the sake of being open-world and to follow some trends. 1st hour of the game, which is more linear felt so much better compared to the rest of the game. It also didn't help that this is imo. one of the most boring open worlds ever full of 3 types respawning enemies.

Ascheroth

The fact of the matter is peope aren't enjoying the game. There ain't much you can do about that, besides maybe tell them to push through and hope by the time ending E rolls around they turned around on the game.

But being on the side that thought the game was just ok (not bad but not some amazing masterpiece). I can see why people are getting hung up and not wanting to carry on.

The flow of the game can be very off putting, it wants to be an rpg and an action as well as a bullet shooter. Which is part of the time, but for some when you invest 15 hours already into that and get burnt out. You aren't gonna feel like going forward. The changes in the other routes aren't even that big. You really just get 2 new techniques at your disposal. The if you aren't a fan of the characters and story, you're in quite the hole.

I still stand that at least for the people who aren't enjoying the game. Had he made instead a more focused action game, and each ending route was kind of shown as it's own character. I think these people would enjoy it more.
Well, I can see it, but I don't agree with it, being in the camp that pretty much loved the whole thing.
Except the balancing. That's shit and I would kill for a patch/DLC/mod that intrioduces a difficulty setting/mode that gets rid of levels or heavily scales EXP to prevent overleveling.
And lol at 'the changes aren't even that big' :p
A good chunk of the advertising really played up the platinum and action aspects. The demo especially which is just the opening and gives a rather false idea of what the game is.
Well, I went in with no prior knowledge, so I guess that's part of it?
But that also just shows that you should never let marketing materials completely set your expectations for a game.

ModBot said:
Instructions for InquisitorAles:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III BETA -- MB-D0EAD0F19E47DE49
Relic are sending keys for DOW3 open beta, check your emails. I already played closed beta and have no desire to try play it again unfortunately.

TGMIII

Automata's focus is its story and themes. If you're not into that then there's not much left. Even as someone who liked it, the pacing of Route A&B wasn't great and if I wasn't already invested in the Taroverse I would have found it hard to push myself through but story content in route C/D/E made it worthwhile.

Should've listened to Jaw about the game being better if you're not doing sidequests

Some of the games best content is tucked away in those sidequests.

deejay

I mean no offense, but if you watch a video of what ammounts to the majority of the game, you might as well refund it and watch the entire game as lets play instead.

This depends on the person I guess. I've had good fun playing it but I personally don't think I would've missed out if I hadn't finished the other endings. And I still would've been perfectly happy with the purchase.

Anteater

Automata's focus is its story and themes. If you're not into that then there's not much left. Even as someone who liked it, the pacing of Route A&B wasn't great and if I wasn't already invested in the Taroverse I would have found it hard to push myself through but story content in route C/D/E made it worthwhile.

Some of the games best content is tucked away in those sidequests.

you can always do those sidequests later, the point is that people get burned out because they go out of their way to do them in route A/B

Jawmuncher

Well, I can see it, but I don't agree with it, being in the camp that pretty much loved the whole thing.
Except the balancing. That's shit and I would kill for a patch/DLC/mod that intrioduces a difficulty setting/mode that gets rid of levels or heavily scales EXP to prevent overleveling.
And lol at 'the changes aren't even that big' :p

Well, I went in with no prior knowledge, so I guess that's part of it?
But that also just shows that you should never let marketing materials completely set your expectations for a game.

I'm just laying down why there's been a good chunk of people dissatisfied with Nier. Some people were expecting the next platinum games joint, which this isn't really. It has their mark, but it's no Bayonetta or MGR (which it doesn't need to be) but a lot of peope fell for it thinking that.

Aside from that we'll just have to agree to disagree about the later routes. I think a big factor is your interest factor though. If you're already invested in route A and then B, you're going to get what you want front Route C-E. however if you did route A and you're already turned off, I don't think the story beat in those new sections are enough to turn you around 180 on the game.

Purkake4

Banned
I got Endless Space a few years back and was quite hyped to play it, and did really try for several hours but I was so damn lost constantly that I just gave up haha. That is one of the things that makes me really want to play Stellaris, that it seems quite easy to get into.
It isn't. It's still a grand strategy game, even if somewhat underdeveloped at the moment.

Jawmuncher

There's also the factor of steam hype. When the thread goes a bit crazy for one or more games to the point where it takes over the thread. A good chunk of people here buy the game to see what all the talk is about. I'm guilty of it as well (pillars of eternity). So that can always hurt things as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom