• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

It was said time and time again that the prior games didn't need to be played to enjoy this. So I don't think that'd be a major factor.

Not needed per se, but I imagine that if you are already invested in Yoko Taro kind of things, you might be more inclined to look past some of the things that might bug you just to see more.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Nonary Games sales numbers are a tragedy, those games deserve way better numbers. Here's hoping it's going to have legs like the Danganronpa games (they started off as a bomba as well, but both are over 100k now).

The pricing on the Nonary Games is nuts. $44.99 and only available as a bundle? Pass. If they had sold at $19.99 per, I think there'd have been a little more interest. (Also it's already sold a quarter what ZTD did on Steam, so I think it may just be a case that there isn't and has never been a huge audience for these games)

xist

Well I'm not a huge fan of horror games, but I like to try games that are critically acclaimed as a way of exploring the medium and expanding my horizons

(The only other two games I've quit in recent years were Alundra and Tactics Orge)

Thanks for the reply....it's awesome that you're casting your net so wide and trying a large variety of games. I enjoyed both Alundra and Tactics Ogre back in the day but wonder how I'd feel about them now if my first experience was today. Far better to try things and quit than never to experience them at all.

Knurek

Standing here I realize
You are just like me Trying to make history

But who's to judge The right from wrong
When our guard is down I think we'll both agree

That violence breeds violence But in the end it has to be this way

I've carved my own path You followed your wrath
But maybe we're both the same

The world has turned And so many have burned
But nobody is to blame

Yet staring across this barren wasted land I feel new life will be born
Beneath the blood stained sand

I'm still getting legit chills each time I hear this song.
In hindsight it was my GOTY 2015, I remember starting the Armstrong fight at around 11 pm and finally beating the fucker at around 3 am.

Does Nier:A have anything similar to MGR:R when it comes to boss fights intensity?

I'm still getting legit chills each time I hear this song.
In hindsight it was my GOTY 2015, I remember starting the Armstrong fight at around 11 pm and finally beating the fucker at around 3 am.

Does Nier:A have anything similar to MGR:R when it comes to boss fights intensity?
Not even close unfortunately. The music gets emotional, but NieR doesn't quite have that transcendental melding of music and combat hype.

tuxfool

Banned
2B looks so much better with red hair

You can get that with a little help of cheat engine:
VVtF66X.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/653e58/i_found_hair_spray_alternate_dyes/

e:beaten

Mugen08

The Nonary Games sales numbers are a tragedy, those games deserve way better numbers. Here's hoping it's going to have legs like the Danganronpa games
Shame, price is ok but maybe not cheap enough for me to double dip yet. I didn't enjoy either of 999/VLR/DR on DS/Vita as much as many others here. They're good but I enjoyed Ace Attorney/Ghost Trick/Steins;Gate more.

Hektor

So you are saying that stopping halfway through the route A and finishing route A is similar experience?

I disagree. I finished route A and i feel like i completed what i started. Sure there are many questions unanswered but that's about it.

In both cases you're dropping the game less than a third through.

You could also say, "well i've beaten the first boss in NIOH and finished the mission the story told me to do, so i finished what i started."

You could also say, "well i've beaten the first boss in NIOH and finished the mission the story told me to do, so i finished what i started."

I haven't played it yet, so I'm genuinely asking, is route B (or whatever next route) a separate game all together? Or is it a replay with changes and a different outcome?

Hektor

I haven't played it yet, so I'm genuinely asking, is route B (or whatever next route) a separate game all together? Or is it a replay with changes and a different outcome?

Spoilerwarning obviously

You have Route B that retreats the story of route A through the eyes of a different character who plays entirely different, mixing new story content with repeats (basically the times where this character was in your party you get the same story content with some new cutscenes, the moments where he wasnt is entirely new stuff

And then you have Route C that literally is the second half of the story. With 100% new content and roughly the same legnth as the first Route.

NeoRaider

It's not the same thing.
Finishing one boss in any game =/= Finishing route A in NieR.

Imo. what they did with NieR is bad story and gameplay design. You have to play 5 routes to get full story and true ending. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

tuxfool

Banned
It's not the same thing.

Imo. what they did with NieR is bad story and gameplay design. You have to play 5 routes to get full stroy and true ending. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

You just don't like the narrative construct in the game. Stick to more blandly designed narratives next time.

Hektor

It's not the same thing.

Imo. what they did with NieR is bad story and gameplay design. You have to play 5 routes to get full stroy and true ending. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Of course comparing it to a tutorial boss was being hyperbolic, but overall it is the exact same thing. It's dropping the game at some point in the middle.

It's fine if you don't liked it and don't wanna continue on, but not playing past Route A is the equivalent of giving up a game a third way through, that is not up to debate.

And the game doesn't even have 5 routes.

gngf123

It's not the same thing.

Imo. what they did with NieR is bad story and gameplay design. You have to play 5 routes to get full story and true ending. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

At this point you are essentially just talking out of your ass about a game you haven't finished.

Taro uses the ending sequence/new game as a storytelling device like a movie with a direct sequel or a short TV series might do with the end of an episode (
route B even gives you a next episode preview!
). You do not replay 5 routes to see the whole story, in fact
outside of 3-4 hours of shared content in route B all the routes are basically completely independent with all new content, with route C being a direct continuation of the story and D/E obtainable by using chapter select on the final chapter.

If you stop at route A, you basically have just stopped at a break point in the story, not that different from stopping after a boss fight.

The game needs to be structured like this for the story payoff to work really. It links gameplay with storytelling in quite a unique way and does it really well.

NeoRaider

You said the story was bad. What else am I supposed to take from that?

I said bad story design not bad story. Mixed with very uninspiring and boring open-world.

It looks like some ppl have problem accepting the fact that there are ppl who don't enjoy playing NieR. I don't know what's the problem exactly. Because i am seeing few ppl having similar opinion and being disappointed here.

tuxfool

Banned
I said bad story design not bad story. Mixed with very uninspiring and boring open-world.

It looks like some ppl have problem accepting the fact that some ppl don't enjoy NieR. I don't know what's the problem exactly. Because i am seeing few ppl having similar opinion and being disappointed here.

It is fine for you not to like it. But you're critiquing something you know little about and making up nonsense to justify it.

By all means dislike it, but be honest about your criticism.

Ludens

Banned
Completed Black Mesa, overall an awesome remake for Half-Life, it's really the way to play the game today in my opinion.
But.
They really should address some issues. First, make the Easy difficulty...well, easy. Because as it is now, it's way more challenging than the original game, as devs themself said. But some enemies are simply not balanced very well, assassins are ALWAYS a oain in the ass to kill, expecially the second time you face them near the end of the game.

NeoRaider

It is fine for you not to like it. But you're critiquing something you know little about and making up nonsense to justify it.

By all means dislike it, but be honest about your criticism.

It sounds like i am not allowed to talk about the game after finishing route A. And give my opinion about what i think are the problems of this game.

Ok.

It's not the same thing.

So let me just ask to make sure things are clear, is your perception of the game going forward that each additional route is (re)playing the same events in the perspective of a different character? Are you thinking that the game is about getting to something akin to new game++++ to beat it?

petran79

Banned
thats weird , should work fine unless denuvo bugged ;-)

BTW Is that 2Dark game any good??? I started ignoring it after that "we got denuvo because we need to fund console versions and soundtrack" statement

I installed in on laptop and it refuses to run on Steam Offline mode and no internet connection. Have to create a wifi hotspot through a smartphone.

Havent played it extensively. It is one of the old school survival horror games where you die often

tuxfool

Banned
It sounds like i am not allowed to talk about the game after finishing route A. And give my opinion about what i think are the problems of this game.

Ok.

You certainly are, and you have done so. We're just telling you that some of what you're saying is real dumb.

deejay

Man, Bulletstorm is such amazing game, i just started my third full playthough because i bought remaster and having a blast with it again. I love this game so much, too bad that dumb Gearbox pricing will probably killed chances to get sequel :( Honestly, i bought this remaster only because of regional pricing (was around 15$ before Gearbox suddenly raised prices after release) and because i want Bulletstorm 2 badly. Having steam achievements is nice, but it's still too damn overpriced, i can't see it successful with 50$ pricetag.

Edit:
WELP, i think i'm going to give Nier one more chance.

Agreed. Fuck all the naysayers; it still is a damn fun game to play, although the swearing in it is less impressive (read: just goofy) nowadays.

v0rtikal

just a heads up (if you're in South America), Nuuvem has some pretty good deals right now, even historical lows after conversion.

Spoilerwarning obviously

You have Route B that retreats the story of route A through the eyes of a different character who plays entirely different, mixing new story content with repeats (basically the times where this character was in your party you get the same story content with some new cutscenes, the moments where he wasnt is entirely new stuff

And then you have Route C that literally is the second half of the story. With 100% new content and roughly the same legnth as the first Route.

Hmmm.

So, the How Long to Beat time saying 16ish hours is for just one route? Are they each that long?

Hektor

Hmmm.

So, the How Long to Beat time saying 16ish hours is for just one route? Are they each that long?

i'd say the howlongtobeat time is accurate if you skip all the sidequest or it represents only the first route with all of them, its hard to tell what the userbase did when they put their time into the system

Personally, as someone who was doing most sidequests, Route A was 16-20, Route b was 6-8 and C was 10-15 hours long

Ascheroth

Hmmm.

The whole game is in the 30-50 hour length.
Shorter if you just rush through the main story (which I wouldn't recommend at all, there are many sidequests that are important to the main story/theme of the game).
Personally I had 23 hours for Route A, 8 for Route B and around 15 (or a little less) for C, I guess?

gngf123

Hmmm.

I reached the end in about 35-36 hours with roughly 60% sidequest completion.

16h for route A is about right if you do a good amount of sidequests. I think I did less and completed it in 12 hours, and did more of them in route B which took me about 14.

Route C was a little shorter but not by much.
D/E are like 15 minutes each.
👿

But Blow considers SSR to be the best puzzle game ever made.

I've seen people selling or wanting Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter keys...are those just regular keys or do they include something extra in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom