• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2017 - Fly me to the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

I wonder what the overlap is with people who have no previous interest in "Taroverse" and people who don't have the drive to keep going beyond route A.

gngf123

Now I've completed Automata, I can't help but laugh every time I see someone say the story in route A was okay but that they are stopping because "now I have to replay it?".

You literally haven't seen anything yet.

Jawmuncher

I wonder what the overlap is with people who have no previous interest in "Taroverse" and people who don't have the drive to keep going beyond route A.

It was said time and time again that the prior games didn't need to be played to enjoy this. So I don't think that'd be a major factor.

Now I've completed Automata, I can't help but laugh every time I see someone say the story in route A was okay but that they are stopping.

You literally haven't seen anything yet.

This still goes back to what I'm saying though. If you don't care about the story or caharcters in route A. None of the changes in the later routes is going to change that.

it was or Rogue Legacy or BioInf, so votes were tallied in a way that BioInf doesn't win. That's how we ended with that GOTY, it is known.

If those are the choices, is pick rogue legacy as well

Aaron D.

It isn't. It's still a grand strategy game, even if somewhat underdeveloped at the moment.

As a counterpoint, I think the Stellaris tutorial does a great job of easing in new players. The mission structure lets you take on new game concepts at your own pace, and there always sitting there for when you're ready. It's leagues ahead of the common front-loaded info-dumps so many titles model as a tutorial.

Durante

Not every game needs to cater to everyone. In fact, that would make gaming dreadfully boring.

Nier: Automata's structure is interesting, unique and refreshing as it is.

It was said time and time again that the prior games didn't need to be played to enjoy this.
And they don't -- I have two friends who are PC-only, and have thus never played Nier, and who have fully completed Automata and love it.

Ascheroth

Well I had no previous knowledge of the "Taroverse" and loved it.
But after having completed it I regret not having played Nier 1 beforehand. (Not that I could have, but still..)

Jawmuncher

Not every game needs to cater to everyone. In fact, that would make gaming dreadfully boring.

Nier: Automata's structure is interesting, unique and refreshing as it is.

And they don't -- I have two friends who are PC-only, and have thus never played Nier, and who have fully completed Automata and love it.

I agree they don't need to be.
But I would disagree about its structure being refreshing. It didn't do anything unique with its open world.

I finished route A after 15h of playing and i don't feel like i wasted my money. I liked it for what it is. I know that there's more, and i could probably force myself playing other routes but i don't want to do that, and that's ok i guess.
I am probably far from being the only one to not continue, so maybe one day i will but like i said already nothing in route A made me think: "I have to continue playing this game, and find every single piece of story/secret/item..."
that's your call, i mean if you wanted to stop part-way through route A and felt like you had your fill by then it's a bit similar. it's not a completionist thing, it's just the intended standard progression.

Wok

I refunded Sexy Brutale.. the premise is interesting but the gameplay from what I played seemed rather dull.. the character walks slow, the area you walk in is zoomed out and there's lots of wasted screen space. I didn't like how you can't just walk around and check things out because if you walk into a room with someone in it you have to run away...

I stopped the second murder without even knowing what I was supposed to be stopping because I solved the 'puzzle' before learning anything about what is happening..

not worth the asking price imo, if it was 10 I wouldn't mind but I got other things to play so RIP... will play after acquiring from a bundle

With Chinese Room's policy, you would have to pay for the puzzle which you randomly solved. Ahah!

77a2de11-3c2b-4b57-8953-c334ef88d358.png

Sega attacking Neogaf with ads

NeoRaider

that's your call, i mean if you wanted to stop part-way through route A and felt like you had your fill by then it's a bit similar. it's not a completionist thing, it's just the intended standard progression.

So you are saying that stopping halfway through the route A and finishing route A is similar experience?

I disagree. I finished route A and i feel like i completed what i started. Sure there are many questions unanswered but that's about it.

So you are saying that stopping halfway through the route A and finishing route A is similar experience?

I disagree. I finished route A and i feel like i completed what i started. Sure there are many questions unanswered but that's about it.
yes. i mean you could have gotten to where (route a thing)
you find the aliens dead
and be like "well, i think i'm done with what this has to offer i found out the big mystery of the objective" and it would be of a similar scale here in terms of what you're leaving on the table.

oni-link

How long do you normally give a game you're not enjoying before giving up?

I just quit Dead Space 2 on chapter 6 after just over 3 hours because it just wasn't fun, but it's only the 3rd game I've quit after putting a few hours into in the last few years

Tonton

I just quit Dead Space 2 on chapter 6 after just over 3 hours because it just wasn't fun, but it's only the 3rd game I've quit after putting a few hours into in the last few years

Depends of the game
With Dark Souls 2 it was 75 hours

Aaron D.

Depends.

In the last month I dropped two of 'Gaf's sacred-cows out of sheer boredom.

The Witness - 2 hours
Stephen's Sausage Roll destroys it.

Witcher 3 GOTY - 15 hours
I was right all along. Fallout 4 is more fun.

The only game I can remember outright dropping in the last decade at least is probably Crysis 2 last year. I was doing the 52 games year thing and I wanted to chip away at the backlog, so I felt like Crysis 2 could be a mindless short romp. Nope. After an hour or so I dropped it hard because I found it absolutely intolerable and aggressively mediocre.

Aside from that I'm pretty stubborn and usually finish a game once I get it started regardless of how I'm feeling about it. If I find it a slog or annoying I sort of complete it out of spite towards the game, because I have problems I guess. As if to personify the game and say to myself, you think you got the best of me, game? Hah, you think I can't handle your mediocrity? Ha HAA you've clearly underestimated how much I hate myself and disregard the value of my time.

But really I think it's a matter of knowing my own tastes well enough at this point and vetting a game in one manner or another before playing it. I don't just get things on a whim.

xist

Do you generally enjoy that sort of game or did Space Space 2 have something about it that made it less fun than other games? Did you enjoy the first one?

I've got too big of a backlog to slog through something because of a sense of investment.

If I enjoyed it for 10 hours and stopped enjoying it on the 11th, I have no problem walking away. I don't consider those 10 hours wasted just because I didn't finish. I might consider the 11 through whatever hours wasted if I played while bored.

And sometimes walking away and coming back is better for long games.

Man, Bulletstorm is such amazing game, i just started my third full playthough because i bought remaster and having a blast with it again. I love this game so much, too bad that dumb Gearbox pricing will probably killed chances to get sequel :( Honestly, i bought this remaster only because of regional pricing (was around 15$ before Gearbox suddenly raised prices after release) and because i want Bulletstorm 2 badly. Having steam achievements is nice, but it's still too damn overpriced, i can't see it successful with 50$ pricetag.

Edit:
(I'm just gonna toss a spoiler warning here to be safe but it's not anything big) Don't let your dreams be dreams.
WELP, i think i'm going to give Nier one more chance.

It depends on how invested I'm into the game before hand. If I'm hyped for the game, I rarely give up on them, and give them at least 5-6 hours. If I'm not hyped for them, or generally don't care for the genre, I can drop them in 20 minutes.

Games like The Witcher 2, XCOM2, Mass Effect 1 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are games that I struggled with for several hours, but ended upp really enjoying.

But for other genres, like regular FPS games I usually drop within the hour, if they don't feel great immediately.

Or if it's a game that I'm sceptical to within my favorite genres, it has to prove me wrong from the start. I'm a fan of p&c adventure games, but I dropped Simon the Sorceror 4 within 5 minutes because of the horrible dialogues. And I couldn't even be bothered to beat the demo of The Book of Unwritten Tales, because I really don't care for how that game looked and felt.

oni-link

Do you generally enjoy that sort of game or did Space Space 2 have something about it that made it less fun than other games? Did you enjoy the first one?

Well I'm not a huge fan of horror games, but I like to try games that are critically acclaimed as a way of exploring the medium and expanding my horizons

I skipped 1 and started with 2, the story wasn't really doing much for me and while the game is great at scaring the player, the first 6 chapters mostly consisted of jump scares and then frustrating encounters

The enemies are terrifying but they're not fun to fight, and half the time to game asks you to fight them in darkness

This is great for upping the tension but it doesn't make the game any fun

It's by no means a bad game, it's just not a game that I enjoyed

The only other two "horror" games I've played were RE4 and RE5, and while they're campy and less serious they were a lot more fun to play

(The only other two games I've quit in recent years were Alundra and Tactics Orge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom