• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sch1sm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Poker Night 2 -- MB-4B49A480D27962A3 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 4 entrants total.

t1440787342z1.png

i mean, it's a word, words change with time and they might not make all that much sense anymore but it's not really a big deal to be annoyed about. yeah, the term's stupid, but who cares

the stigma thing is also an interesting thing to discuss cos like for understandable reasons ppl are turned off mobas (huge barrier of entry, shitty communities, insane time sinks), but u know, at the same time the genre (or at least league) is insanely popular so obviously there's something to it that shouldn't be so easily dismissed

i think the stigma is more up to moba makers to be more inviting and fix up their shitty tutorials (actually doto's reborn tutorial was pretty decent, at worst a bit too slow for me, at least coming from league) and clean up their communities

but the word is useful, u say moba and u mean the things i listed above and that gives you a rough idea of what you're getting into, even if the word is dumb

i mean, diablo works like that and u wouldn't call diablo an rts would u :>

also i think smite is also controlled with wasd keys, as is awesomenauts

in any case, they're more like action rpgs with strategy elements, something like that. mobas take elements from a billion genres which is part of what makes them so cool
I see what you mean. I guess MOBA does work in that sense, I am just sick of the way it's used is all ;_;.

Okay you got me about Diablo lol, and I totally forgot about Smite. We just need a new term.

Was this already posted?

New IndieGala Friday bundle

https://www.indiegala.com/friday

They Breathe
Lilly and Sasha: Guardian Angels
Slinki
Advent
Nightfall: Escape
Putrefaction
Spy Bugs
HUSH
Star Chronicles: Delta Quadrant
Nomad
Hm. Hmm. Nomad I wanted for some time. Anyone up for a trade or selling his Nomad key from the bundle?
My PC is here ^-^. GTX 970, 8GB RAM, i5-4690k, all OverClocked , water cooling... :D
Congrats. What happened to the i7+290 PC you were about to get?
Aka the PC that MGSV keys built. :p
He surely is nice and will part from a MGS5 key at 15€ for his Steam-Friends in peril... Right Bernardo? Right? For me? I won't tell peeps >_>

Dr Dogg

I propose we call all games, regardless of genre, just games and then just describe what it does, mechanically or thematically, as naturally as it appears to you. Then we wont get any Rouge-like mishaps again.

Also my crazy order of a Japanese PS3 copy of MGS5 has just shipped. Wonder how long that's going to take to get here? Not that I'm going to play it, just want the artbook and Steelbook plus £40ish was too good to say no.

Annubis

Also my crazy order of a Japanese PS3 copy of MGS5 has just shipped. Wonder how long that's going to take to get here? Not that I'm going to play it, just want the artbook and Steelbook plus £40ish was too good to say no.

I ordered a cable from China not too long ago and got it after 6 weeks.

Sober

On paper the Nemisis system is brilliant but in practice it really falls quite flat. As we know the game itself is pathetically easy that mashing could be considered a strategy but the Nemisis system thrives on you beating defeated, it's how the Captains are meant to rank up. So if you want to make the game at least somewhat challenging you've got to look at the line up your offered and plan to get killed by a few of them so they can level up and get some of their weaknesses removed but even still then to really have the potential to play the board game you need all the ability unlocks which require a bit of progress in the game. But that requires killing a bunch of Captains and a Warchief so you've cleared a fifth of the board and probably without too much difficulty. So it's almost a couple of hours wasted going back and forth dying on purpose, completing the story missions, resting to get captains you've killed to respawn, making sure not to decap some others so you can alter their strengths and weaknesses etc just to create some sense of challenge. And then when you get on to the second map the whole thing resets. Also by this time you've got most of the moves and can pretty much take on a group of 30 at any one given time without bother that combat becomes a chore rather than enjoyable.

I'm sure a few tweaks under the hood to make things more difficult, both in damage output and received as well as more varied and opposing strengths and weaknesses for the Captains to mix things up could lift it up somewhat. Maybe have a system that learns from your playstyle. Nothing too complicated but keep track of what weapons and/or powers you use the most, what moves you like to use, powers you combine and spawn in captains that are strong against them so you have to change your strategy and not do the same thing over and over again (needs careful balance though but some fucker will complain regardless). But I guess that's for the sequel!
I think the problem is that it relies entirely on the Nemesis system and there are no real 'bespoke' antagonists (the guy you 'convert' to make him become Warlord is about as close as it gets). I'm not sure myself what you could do either, but I do know the seams start to show despite how elaborate the system is, even before you get to the end of the game. The story is completely forgettable, probably because of the Nemesis system, as those moments were slightly more interesting whereas the actual story part of the game felt sort of inconsequential and again, by the time you reach the end of the game, all you do is face off against your nemeses anyway.

Dr Dogg

I ordered a cable from China not too long ago and got it after 6 weeks.

Well it's coming via a Japanese etailer I've used for yonks and I've had it shipped via airmail so I'm expecting 2 weeks but I think the value and size is enough to be chucked in the 'inspect further' customs pile so I get the feeling 3 weeks might be more accurate.

Caerith

you could like turn it around then. do you roleplay in every rpg? like mmorpgs? do you really roleplay in skyrim? or final fantasy? or whatever

if u sit and think none of the genres are like perfect fits, but that doesn't mean there isn't a use for them

if i'm talking to my friend and i want to explain a game to her i'm like, "well, it's a rpg, i dunno if you played old squaresoft ps1 games but it's sort of like that. yeah with turn based combat. yeah like ff7 and xenogears and stuff". that's how a conversation usually goes, and starting from genre is useful for me and when someone showed me awesomenauts and was like well it's like a sidescrolly shooter moba and i booted it up and saw there were turrets and minions and champions i was like, sure i get what this is

so yeah, don't assign too much value to them, but they're useful

like review scores
The whole video game genre of "RPGs" basically descends from Dungeons & Dragons, which, as a pen & paper game, was about roleplaying but also it had exp and levels and goblins and shit. When video games like Final Fantasy came along and basically copied Dungeons & Dragons, they couldn't manage the roleplaying part but they kept in exp and levels and goblins and shit and still called it an RPG. Nowadays RPG just means exp and levels and goblins and shit.

Likewise, the adventure genre is probably called that because a lot of early adventure games were about like knights and archaeologists and stuff going on adventures, but then other games come along and even though they aren't really about adventures they use the same mechanics so people just call them adventure games. (Could you imagine if the early adventure games were all horror stories? We'd be talking about how Monkey Island is one of our favorite point & click horror games.)

Maybe they should have been more pedantic back in the early days of video games and called games RPGlike, and adventure-like-like, and other asinine descriptors? I dunno. But I'd like to think someday we'll finally decide to excise these vestigial genre names and replace them with a system that works.

think imma go GoT, Borderlands, JP, then fill it out with poker night / puzzle agent. few more bucks with JP but i havent played that one so its ok. will end up about 14 bucks

Maniac

Banned
Everyone excited for all these undercooked, shallow AAA games and I'm sitting here looking at some very compelling indies coming down the pike.

Gameplay always beats out marketing budget.

Hells yeah.
My PC is here ^-^. GTX 970, 8GB RAM, i5-4690k, all OverClocked , water cooling... :D

Bitch whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

You went from having a computer much shittier than mine to having a god-tier computer?

... Did all dem MGSV codes fund it? lol :p

Congrats though! I'm only slightly really jealous.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Secret of the Magic Crystals Complete -- MB-59C1910EC925DF69 - Taken by yoshizzle. 4 entrants total.
The Walking Dead: 400 Days -- MB-D6E4A2B9ECED4CBC - Taken by Annubis. 4 entrants total.

t1440789022z1.png

If it's Steam saying there's a failure it's very unlikely. If it's the browser then it's possible.

Yeah it was Steam, I tried to buy some games yesterday and I received a message:
"Your purchase has not been completed. Your credit card information has been declined by your credit card company.

Note that in some cases, your credit card company may put a "hold" on funds in your account, but you will not be charged. After correcting any errors in the information displayed below, please try your purchase again"

I called my bank and they told me that everything is fine, I contacted Steam Support but there's no answer yet, so I decided to reset my modem and tried to purchase a game, and the purchase was successful, so I was wondering if my internet connection could be the problem....

BTW Steam charges my cc for those transaction failures?

zkylon

zkylewd
I see what you mean. I guess MOBA does work in that sense, I am just sick of the way it's used is all ;_;.

Okay you got me about Diablo lol, and I totally forgot about Smite. We just need a new term.
i mean, i can sympathize with that but i just don't think it's as bad as you think. it's kind of like roguelikes, the term roguelike has evolved over time to a point where it's left behind the turn based part and now it usually means procedurally generated dungeons+permadeath+rpg elements

and tbh i don't really think that's bad, it's a starting point for games like binding of isaac and dungeon of the endless to be explained to ppl without having to actually go through all that stuff, so i dunno, i don't mind, i think as a whole gaming should be a bit more aware of what they mean with the words they say (so like, the history of roguelikes and also not calling something like splatoon a moba lol) but also use those words so that game makers can be like "ok i like mobas, im gonna make a moba but think of a cool twist for it!" and do it

maybe if there wasn't a name for it that'd be harder to think, or whatever. videogames as a field of study is desperately in need of words, even if they're not perfect, so i dunno, i just feel like cherishing every one we have

that being said, moba is a dumb dumb name for sure

I propose we call all games, regardless of genre, just games and then just describe what it does, mechanically or thematically, as naturally as it appears to you. Then we wont get any Rouge-like mishaps again.
i mean, that's how game explaining works, genres are just an opener

you start by saying that, go into similar games and then mention a cool moment or two and like that feature that blew your mind or whatever

like no one stops at genre, you're never like "oh dark souls is a jrpg" and that's it lol

but if u start with that the person that's listening to you immediatelly understands that "there are stats and leveling and loot and it's probably a fantasy games so there are gonna be knights and monsters and stuff"

and the other person can assume some stuff like "well there's gonna be a lot of story" or "it's gonna be turn based" and that's where the buts come in

so you're like "well it's a jrpg but it's more action oriented, you see there's this stamina bar you have to keep track of and it's all real time and you use stamina to dodge and block attacks and also to swing your sword and run and it's also very difficult and there's story but it's minimalistic and you figure it out reading item descriptions etc etc"

i dunno, i find that way of explaining things to be pretty natural when i talk to my friends. like we meet with one of my group of friends every monday and discuss interesting games and stuff and we're always like here's the steam page and we usually just explain it to each other in that way and it's just a style that makes sense to me, you lay down expectations with a genre and then add all the flavor and uniqueness with all the buts

The whole video game genre of "RPGs" basically descends from Dungeons & Dragons, which, as a pen & paper game, was about roleplaying but also it had exp and levels and goblins and shit. When video games like Final Fantasy came along and basically copied Dungeons & Dragons, they couldn't manage the roleplaying part but they kept in exp and levels and goblins and shit and still called it an RPG. Nowadays RPG just means exp and levels and goblins and shit.
that's what i mean, it's just a name, the words don't really matter

like, i have a few friends that know the "word" rpg but don't know english, so they don't know what it means. to them rpg = something like final fantasy

Likewise, the adventure genre is probably called that because a lot of early adventure games were about like knights and archaeologists and stuff going on adventures, but then other games come along and even though they aren't really about adventures they use the same mechanics so people just call them adventure games. (Could you imagine if the early adventure games were all horror stories? We'd be talking about how Monkey Island is one of our favorite point & click horror games.)
i think they're called adventure games cos the first one was a game named "adventure"? so like monkey island and such are like adventure-likes

but it could be a dream i had or something

Maybe they should have been more pedantic back in the early days of video games and called games RPGlike, and adventure-like-like, and other asinine descriptors? I dunno. But I'd like to think someday we'll finally decide to excise these vestigial genre names and replace them with a system that works.
what's that system tho?

genres is just a broad thing, they're shitty in music, movies, books, videogames, they're always too broad and there's always exceptions to all of them

what would a "working system" do anyways? would it be better genres? who decides what defines each genre? or just not use genres at all?

Hinomura

Yeah it was Steam, I tried to buy some games yesterday and I received a message:

I called my bank and they told me that everything is fine, I contacted Steam Support but there's no answer yet, so I decided to reset my modem and tried to purchase a game, and the purchase was successful, so I was wondering if my internet connection could be the problem....

BTW Steam charges my cc for those transaction failures?

They don't, but the procedure may have them on hold (ie they took money but refund later).

Maniac

Banned
i still don't see what was fun about fo3 but that's just opinion i guess

having to skip all the poorly written dialogue because i felt like i was being stabbed in the heart made everything feel super empty

and for empty post apocalyptic lands i'd rather play stalker :>

I meant "fun" as in a lot of the locations are funny, humorous or outright ridiculous. And some of them are quite nice that way.

I never meant to say the gameplay or dialogue is fun nor funny, because they aren't particularly. I did quite like melee combat in the game though, but that's because it was the only thing that didn't have me pissed off about the bullet-sponge nature of all the enemies. "I shot you in the head with a fucking nuclear bomb, what do you mean you have half HP left!?"

Re: Riot, I was kidding. It's far from the thing I hate the most about them. You know that ;)
GPU cooling is much more efficient under water, especially for SLI, on top of being significantly quieter.

Problem is just that most of the ready-to-install water coolers are kind of expensive and still have trouble keeping up with Noctua air coolers.

I mean Noctua is godlike, but I've seen little to no compelling reasons to go for watercooling over an NH-D15, including noise.

Dr Dogg

Anybody buy Azure Striker Gunvolt? What's the skinny options wise and if poss could yoou upload a lossless screenshot in game to a host that doesn't compress pics. Cheers me dears!

I think the problem is that it relies entirely on the Nemesis system and there are no real 'bespoke' antagonists (the guy you 'convert' to make him become Warlord is about as close as it gets). I'm not sure myself what you could do either, but I do know the seams start to show despite how elaborate the system is, even before you get to the end of the game. The story is completely forgettable, probably because of the Nemesis system, as those moments were slightly more interesting whereas the actual story part of the game felt sort of inconsequential and again, by the time you reach the end of the game, all you do is face off against your nemeses anyway.

One massive let down for me with the game was the bosses or lack of them. You have this big setup for these uber powerful Black Captains that you have to draw out of hiding but it's all a bit shit in it's pay off. The first one was good but the second encounter was nothing more than a game of hide a seek that was pretty much a carbon copy of the 'Press X to snog your wife' scene earlier in the game but strapped to the law of threes. And the final boss wasn't even an encounter, just a single quicktime event and boom game done. I get the feeling from a few articles here and there that too much dev time and money went into the Nemesis system than make it cohesive with the story and give the game a big finale.

Caerith

i think they're called adventure games cos the first one was a game named "adventure"? so like monkey island and such are like adventure-likes

but it could be a dream i had or something
No you're right. So what if Adventure had been called something else? Like, what if it had been named something on this page instead?

what's that system tho?

genres is just a broad thing, they're shitty in music, movies, books, videogames, they're always too broad and there's always exceptions to all of them

what would a "working system" do anyways? would it be better genres? who decides what defines each genre? or just not use genres at all?
Genres work a lot better in other mediums because there's only one way you partake in those mediums. You listen to music, you read books or have them read to you, you watch movies. The genre describes the content.

Video games, I dunno exactly how best to replace the current genres but at the least you'd need to separate content and mechanics. I'm sure we could think of something but I don't think people care enough.

zkylon

zkylewd
I meant "fun" as in a lot of the locations are funny, humorous or outright ridiculous. And some of them are quite nice that way.

I never meant to say the gameplay or dialogue is fun nor funny, because they aren't particularly. I did quite like melee combat in the game though, but that's because it was the only thing that didn't have me pissed off about the bullet-sponge nature of all the enemies. "I shot you in the head with a fucking nuclear bomb, what do you mean you have half HP left!?"
ehh, i didn't really find the locations any of that

i honestly think fo3 is lame af in every aspect of its existence with the sole exception of being the catalyst for new vegas' development

Re: Riot, I was kidding. It's far from the thing I hate the most about them. You know that ;)
well u know me

i always take every chance i get to put dumbos in their places

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom