• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Autumn Sale 2012 | Now with 100% more fanfiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
steam2zpfm.jpg

No way somebody can say no to this.

If it wasn't for Hotline Miami's terrible soundtrack. lol

Aselith

Is anyone interested in a Chivalry 4-pack? The US store has the best price, so if anyone from the US wants to host that would be great. Otherwise I'm willing to host (EU), saves me about 3 euros.

8.75 EUR ~ 7.1 GBP ~ 11.35 USD
1 OmegaDragon (EU host, if someone from the US wants to host please, it's cheaper)

I want to partake and I can host it.

whats so good about hotline Miami?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OJ51PG0swE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n_BinoS1Ug

Lain

whats so good about hotline Miami?

I'll just quote two nice posts that I agree with from that Wario64 thread:

Hotline Miami was already fantastic at $10, so this is a must-buy at $5.

It's intense and hypnotic. Things happen quickly and violently. You play alongside the awesome soundtrack and you plot your rampage before you punch and throw and smash and stab and shoot and then everything is dead and the floor is full of blood. You die a lot but retry instantly so it's okay. The color palette and oddly oriented overhead camera make you feel a little uneasy but that's how you know you're taking the real strong stuff.

The plot tries to be a little too smart for its own good, but it complements the action well, and doesn't get in the way of you killing people. Mechanically, it's really sound, and it feels good when you succeed. It's almost a fast-paced mix of Metal Gear stealth and Smash TV mayhem, seesawing between careful planning and an orgy of violence. I'm glad I bought it.

I see where Tain's coming from when he says it's okay, because if you want to get deep into the scoring system the game kinda breaks down, and there's only so much variety in the existing levels once you start replaying them. But I'm not an arcade type so that stuff matters less to me. I still found reasons to go back in and play it more, because it was fun.

The game's got a fantastic sense of style - like Miami Vice on acid, or a horror movie version of Vice City. It's got a soundtrack that's frankly second to none this year, and a dirtied/polluted/desaturated vision of the neon-and-pastels 80's look that lilts back and forth as you move. The result is really wonderfully offputting - it's simultaneously glitzy and gaudy but also unnerving and grungy. The entire aesthetic sets up the undertones of something being wrong that you can't put your finger on that's carried forward through the narrative.

Part of what makes that undercurrent of something being wrong work so well is that the gameplay goes out of its way to not have the same tones as the rest of the game. It's polished pretty tightly to be an addictive and highly lethal action game. I've heard it referred to as an action/puzzler, but that's not really fair to the game. It's not so much that there's one solution that works so much as there's lots of solutions that don't work. Figuring out which rooms to attack when with what weapons in ways that fit your playstyle is a lot of what drives this game. Combine that with crazy lethality (you die nearly instantly) and levels take on a bit of a Super Meat Boy quality to them. There's enough strategy in mask selection, weapon selection, and approach that it's less of a puzzler and more of a strategic action game.

The result is a game that makes the act of slicing, shooting, and pounding dudes into bloody piles of flesh feel super engaging and thrilling while presenting those murders in the context of a game that tries to make you uncomfortable with those actions. The whole thing culminates in
at least three individual endings (not three separate endings; the game literally has three different stopping points), each of which serves to inform the game's commentary on the role of narrative and whether the violence was justified.

Ultimately it's a really fun game with a slick style that has just enough vague metaphors, narrative gaps, and metacommentaries for art game folks to have taken an additional interest in it.

Babalu.

Is anyone interested in a Chivalry 4-pack? The US store has the best price, so if anyone from the US wants to host that would be great. Otherwise I'm willing to host (EU), saves me about 3 euros.

8.75 EUR ~ 7.1 GBP ~ 11.35 USD
1 OmegaDragon (EU host, if someone from the US wants to host please, it's cheaper)

I'll get in. for suuuure

Necrovex

I just wanted to post everyone involved with the Borderlands 2 4-pack deal are all good people who can be trusted upon: Bentendo, and Timmit.

Do you think it's worth getting them now? Or should I wait for a 75% sale on both?

Well I haven't played either of them(yet), but I wouldn't assume a 75% discount for Christmas...it could happen, but it's not guaranteed by any means.

EDIT: Well, fuck, my purchase isn't going through. "An unexpected error has occurred." anyone else having trouble.

VALIS

Do you think it's worth getting them now? Or should I wait for a 75% sale on both?

As I just posted on my Steam community feed: "All you dudes buying Mark of the Ninja and Hotline Miami on sale, congrats on buying two of the better games this year! You're in for a good time."

Like 20 friends in a row buying either MotN, Hotline Miami or both. These are good games, so yeah, you should buy 'em now if you're looking for something to play.

I just noticed one of the official screenshots on the Steam store page for Chivalry...

I noticed that earlier as well. :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:

LA Noire vanilla or LA Noire Complete?

I have LA Noire PS3 w/ "exclusive content" but I haven't put much time into it. I can sell it easily enough I think to make up for double dipping on Steam.

L.A. Noire worth it if I already have it on PS3? I don't have a controller for PC and I know the port isn't the best, but are graphics better on PC at least? Playable wo/ controller? I'd like to play it again at some point, maybe I should wait for an even lower price.

I noticed that earlier as well. :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:

LA Noire vanilla or LA Noire Complete?

I have LA Noire PS3 w/ "exclusive content" but I haven't put much time into it. I can sell it easily enough I think to make up for double dipping on Steam.

DLC mostly adds to the story, and the story is all there is in LA Noire. So I'd say with DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom