• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Autumn Sale 2012 | Now with 100% more fanfiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

This has been pretty low key, but that is probably fair enough given the presumably big sale in a few weeks.

The competition is certainly good though. If Valve need to step it up, we can only win.

The pessimist would point to the recent Summer sale and say, "Don't get your hopes up."

I'm just mildly depressed about seeing some great indie games absolutely bombing on Steam. The old sales and their achieve-hunts were the ultimate indie boosters. It's irritating to see the same freaking AAA games get highlighted over and over (especially since they're often priced higher than the Steamworks version on Amazon/GMG).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm just mildly depressed about seeing some great indie games absolutely bombing on Steam. The old sales and their achieve-hunts were the ultimate indie boosters. It's irritating to see the same freaking AAA games get highlighted over and over (especially since they're often priced higher than the Steamworks version on Amazon/GMG).

The "indie bundle" dilemma? Because I sure as hell know not to buy an indie game for 14,99 or whatever prices it comes out on Steam at release.

1-D_FTW

The "indie bundle" dilemma? Because I sure as hell know not to buy an indie game for 14,99 or whatever prices it comes out at on Steam on release.

Sure. A lot of that is self-inflicted gunshots. I argued this the moment I saw what was happening. But I'm talking the indie games at 75 percent off. A game like Cargo Commander is 75 percent off, selling for 2.49, and is one of the best arcade games I can remember in a while. And it's getting crickets. Under the old system, it would have been highlighted one day, would have gotten a ton of sales for the achieve-hunt, and then people forced to play it, would have then evangelized it to others.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Rage really is a mess on PC, I can't even change the video options without it crashing, what the hell did Carmack do to this game?

Rage really is a mess on PC, I can't even change the video options without it crashing, what the hell did Carmack do to this game?

Was fine for me. It's just that the game is continuously swapping from the hard drive that creates pop-up if you don't have the texture memory set to 'small'.

Which is funny when you have 4GB of RAM and such... :\

Steam question:

"screenshot cannot be uploaded due to errors"

The fuck is this and how do I get rid of it?
(my profile is set to private, but I should still be able to share screens, right?)

I've bought over a dozen indie games in the past year or two at full price, day one. And I've given a fair price for Waking Mars and Botanicula which more or less debuted in bundles.

I'll pay a good price for Zeno Clash 2, Monaco, Witness and Prison Architect to name but a few. Indie bundles are exposing me to newer games that I wouldn't have paid the asking price for. Usually that's when the game is $1.99 on iOS and $8.99 on Steam.

It's incredibly rare for me to feel like I've ripped off an indie developer through these deals.

Derrick01

Banned

AMD gpu? The game wouldn't even run on those when it came out, it was one of the many games that year that gave AMD users a hard time. It runs perfectly for me on nvidia on max settings.

KissVibes

Banned
Hey uh, if anyone has a spare Don't Stave key I might want to buy it from you on the cheap. It looks neat but I don't want to spend $11 on it.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
AMD gpu? The game wouldn't even run on those when it came out, it was one of the many games that year that gave AMD users a hard time. It runs perfectly for me on nvidia on max settings.

GTX670, I've just been googling, it could be because I'm using a multi-screen set-up, apparently it can cause problems.

Did you manage to get v-sync to work ok? I have it enabled in game but doesn't seem to sync the frames :-/

cicero

I've bought over a dozen indie games in the past year or two at full price, day one. And I've given a fair price for Waking Mars and Botanicula which more or less debuted in bundles.

I'll pay a good price for Zeno Clash 2, Monaco, Witness and Prison Architect to name but a few. Indie bundles are exposing me to newer games that I wouldn't have paid the asking price for. Usually that's when the game is $1.99 on iOS and $8.99 on Steam.

It's incredibly rare for me to feel like I've ripped off an indie developer through these deals.

As someone who never buys indie games day one, and most of the time always tries to buy them once they hit a bundle, it is incredibly rare for me to feel like I've ripped off an indie developer through these deals too. They are the ones who choose to sell it at the price points they are going for, either individually in these sales or in bundles. Most of the games I get in bundles I never would pick up otherwise, there are just so many other titles out there, so little time, and such a huge backlog as it is. Part of the appeal is the feeling of getting great value for my money too. Many times I impulse buy based on a hugely discounted price and the increased interest and hype from the informed gaming community who promote great deals for indie titles they like/love. Everyone wins.

derExperte

It worked absolutely fine with my 6850 after the first weekend when the first patch and driver update were released.

KissVibes

Banned
Anyone know of a place to buy Prey for the PC digitally? I really want to play that again.

Gah. Somebody please talk me out of DooM 3: BFG.

It's not worth it. There's no mod support and even without it the BFG edition looks WORSE than the original release, despite promising better visuals. It's not because of consoles, those versions look bad too. Its because id got lazy with this release and its a simple cash grab to see if anyone wants a Doom 4.

Not to mention that the new content stinks, it's one long shooting gallery.
Doom 3 and RoE which can be had for less then this price for BFG edition and are much better. I strongly recommend you pick those up instead, unless you own those two and REALLY want to see what the new content in BFG edition.

You can also watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YqhClZSa74

Tizoc

I currently have various titles in my Cart totaling at a little over $100...I need some of them to go on sale soon, otherwise I'll get them during the December sales >_>;

Thanks to you all - I've decided not to buy DooM BFG and to try out the VelociReal mod. I've used Sikkmod before and if the BFG doesn't match that, there's no point.

I might pick it up at <£5 some day, just to see how they handled it. I have a lot of respect for id Software.

Benedict

Anybody would like to gift me Borderlands 2 from UK?
Can also trade other Steamgames:

I have the following in my inventory:
Patrician IV
Ys: Oath of Felghana
Fallout 3 GOTY
Broken Sword Trilogy
Hard Reset
Lucid
Left4Dead2
Steam Community Beta Access

Steam-code from other retailers:
Majesty Gold HD
CIV 5 (not sure if this is still useable)
Sword of the Stars: Complete Collection
Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter

Any other place/thread I can trade/beg for code?

Quick warning to anyone considering Psychonauts for Mac: the Mac version has had some serious problems for a while now, problems that made the game unplayable in certain sections. This started a few months ago when an update pushed a native version (previously it was within a wrapper) which had and has a lot of problems. And it doesn't really feel like the kind of thing you could safely buy and anticipate a patch any minute.

So, even though it's cheap, if all you've got is a Mac it's not a good choice. Spend that couple bucks on Critter Crunch and English Country Tune, maybe.

Torraz

Just finished the third Walking Dead episode and holy shit, what a fantastic experience so far. This might be my GOTY in terms of telling an engrossing story.

I have a question, if I buy a bundle fo steam lets say Trine Complete but i have Trine 1 already, shuld i buy the bundle as a gift and than use the code for Trine 2 and than give away Trine 1 or trade it?

Torraz

The daily deals were 48 hours long?

Damn...

You have "daily" deals and flash deals. The daily deals are the ones at the top which run 48 hours. There were 6 on the first day. After 24 hours 6 new ones get added. After another 24 hours the first six get replaced by 6 new ones. Rinse and repeat.

Besides that you have flash deals which typically seem to run for around 8-12 hours.

Has Endless Space been a flash sale or daily yet? I've been wanting that game for a long time... usually I follow the sale activiy religiously, but this sale caught me by surprise and I've missed some of it.

xJavonta

Banned
I can't believe I'm seeing people refusing to buy indies at full price simply because they're indie games. A game's value shouldn't be measured by how much content it contains, how long it is or what it's budget was, it should be like "Oh this game is $25? *plays demo* wow that was really enjoyable! I'll buy it!" Not "Oh $25? Not for an indie!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom