• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Autumn Sale 2012 | Now with 100% more fanfiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quantum Conundrum is garbage and not worth any price, not even free.

Here's what I thought after finishing up the piece of shit after grabbing it on a 3$ sale:

In a sentence: It feels like a game made by someone who learned nothing during their time at Valve.

There are just so many things wrong with the game. The dialogue is really dreadful and the delivery is just as bad. There is no real intriguing story/mystery that makes finishing these puzzles/work compelling (why on Earth would I want to help this irritating uncle?). The music has no personality to it and they really missed a huge opportunity to have it shift to different distinct themes to match with each dimension. The art style has this really bland Pixar leftovers look to it. If these things had been better executed, I wouldn't have been quite as irritated with the fundamental issues the game had.

What took the cake for me was the puzzle design. There are 4 pretty decent ideas for dimensions, but there are maybe only 3 or so puzzles that actually use the dimensions in an interesting manner. For the majority the designers were content to have you repeat the same basic solution over and over again. I never once felt particularly satisfied upon completion of a room since I rarely had to put much thought into them. The only real barriers are some awful first person platforming and occasionally finicky timing. They end up feeling like work rather than mental exercise. I start to lose interest in puzzles when I feel as though I could have designed them myself with relative ease.

I can look past the lack of character in games like Puzzle Dimension because the puzzle design demands a significant amount of analysis and spatial reasoning. I can look past the relatively easy puzzles in Portal's singleplayer because there is a lot of effort put into keeping things fresh and exciting (story-wise) (and Portal 2 co-op had some legitimately amazing puzzle design). This game has neither of those things.

I wouldn't even recommend the game at 3$.
Ya, I think her Portal success went to her head. Very very stupid to leave Valve at such an early time in her career. The sheer amount of knowledge contained in that building... people spend decades trying to get into that company and she was handed it on a silver platter after her and her team came up with a good idea.

Tizoc

Shogun 2 goes on sale like every 3 days on one of the many Digital Distribution stores out there. Why not just wait for a 75% off sale on that?

Just to add: I'm also waiting to see if the Shogun 2 games get a 75% sale.
...but do link me to these DD Stores please, I wanna check them out. (I know of Green Man Gaming only)

tizoc

what are you doing

tizoc

stahp

Look pal this would be my 2nd, if not 3rd day of NOT BUYING ANYTHING OFF OF STEAM DURING THIS SALE!
I mean jeebus should I make my final purchases by the 26th, I would've bought like 2 dozen games for the price of 2 PS3 games...that's a good bargain in my book.
...but hey I'm an arab what do I know?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Welp...dealbreaker.

I don't think there is any version of the game that acts differently. That said, most of the DLC is garbage. They reuse a ton of areas from the expansion (or vice versa, it's hard to keep track of which came first) and the story content in them is usually lacking. The main game is fine on it's own.

Look pal this would be my 2nd, if not 3rd day of NOT BUYING ANYTHING OFF OF STEAM DURING THIS SALE!
I mean jeebus should I make my final purchases by the 26th, I would've bought like 2 dozen games for the price of 2 PS3 games...that's a good bargain in my book.
...but hey I'm an arab what do I know?

But some of those games have been much cheaper in previous sales D:

kurahador

I don't think there is any version of the game that acts differently. That said, most of the DLC is garbage. They reuse a ton of areas from the expansion (or vice versa, it's hard to keep track of which came first) and the story content in them is usually lacking. The main game is fine on it's own.

I already have the game in Origin, but the dlc system is a pain in the ass. I thought the steam version would handle the dlcs differently, guess not.

HoosTrax

Nope, I've the game for a year or so now, but I've never played it. Just finding odd that Valve just put a free game in my inventory, lol
Did you ever pre-order Torchlight II? It gave you a free copy of TL1. Also, some indie bundles included TL1 I think.

1-D_FTW

I hate Quantum Conundrum.

My dislike of it grows with passing time. It's like a bad diet soda. The longer it's been since you sipped, the worse the aftertaste in your mouth gets.

I've been waiting ages for the Monkey Island SE games to go 75% off and they've been that in the Summer Sale? How the hell did I miss that? Fuck.

Is today the last day of new deals and tomorrow is repeat of the best-selling deals? Or is it new deals today and Monday and then repeats on Tuesday?

kswiston

Just to add: I'm also waiting to see if the Shogun 2 games get a 75% sale.
...but do link me to these DD Stores please, I wanna check them out. (I know of Green Man Gaming only)

Actually that Shogun 2 collection is a good price if you really want all of those unit packs. The base game is on sale for 75% off all the time though. Amazon.com has it for $7.50 currently.

Regarding DD stores, I have used these ones in the past:

http://www.getgamesgo.com/

http://www.gamersgate.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Downloads/b/ref=sa_menu_dgs_gam5?ie=UTF8&node=979455011

In addition to Green Man Gaming and Steam. There is also Gamestop's Impulse, and Gamefly, but I typically don't buy from them. I buy quite a bit from GOG.com, but they only sell old titles and indie games.

Sega games are on sale every week on at least one of those stores. This site provides a decent discount roundup:

http://pcdddeals.com/

The better deals are usually posted on GAF as well.

kswiston

Just read some of the reviews and some say it won't run on Windows 7 64-bit, and the product itself on Amazon specifies a platform of Windows XP. I almost bought it. D;

Bioshock 2 definitely runs on Windows 7, because I had 7 (64bit Pro) installed before it came out. I don't remember if Bioshock 1 had any issues, but the Steam Forums list fixes. Amazon is just selling the Steam keys.

Can't say I ever tasted shit.

And it's been a long time since I tasted diet soda. But years ago, Diet 7-UP couldn't have tasted any worse than shit. And the aftertaste grew with each passing second.

You can throw diet soda out of your refrigerator. Quantum Conundrum stays on your account forever. It's the gaming-equivalent of a huge Mexican food turd that you just can't flush down.

I got it on XBLA and I enjoyed it, it's the best Tony Hawk game to come out in years, but that's not saying much. The soundtrack sucks though, only the original songs are worth listening to, but I heard the PC port of it is pretty bad

Ah, thanks. Skip.

1-D_FTW

You can throw diet soda out of your refrigerator. Quantum Conundrum stays on your account forever. It's the gaming-equivalent of a huge Mexican food turd that you just can't flush down.

Good point. Although the memory of that Diet 7-UP is still seared into my brain after all those years.

The moral of story: Quantum Conundrum will not only scar you physically, but mentally for the rest of your life. DON'T BUY!

Megasoum

Banned
Good point. Although the memory of that Diet 7-UP is still seared into my brain after all those years.

The moral of story: Quantum Conundrum will not only scar you physically, but mentally for the rest of your life. DON'T BUY!

I got Quantum Conundrum added automatically to my account because of work...so sad lol.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I got it on XBLA and I enjoyed it, it's the best Tony Hawk game to come out in years, but that's not saying much. The soundtrack sucks though, only the original songs are worth listening to, but I heard the PC port of it is pretty bad

PC port is awesome with a bit of tweaking. 60 fps + absurd IQ:

iughtxPEPH52R.png

ibgqYVC8eWI67a.png

Just read some of the reviews and some say it won't run on Windows 7 64-bit, and the product itself on Amazon specifies a platform of Windows XP. I almost bought it. D;

Hmmmm... That seems very odd. I'd be shocked if Bioshock 1 or 2 didn't run on Windows 7 64 bit.

Edit: I see some people have addressed this. Apparently, Bioshock 1 needs a fix applied. I can't believe it wasn't official patched. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom