• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Queens of the Stone Age's No One Knows should be the anthem of Steam Sale threads.

Not being snarky mind but other than historical pricing it's a wild stab in the dark trying to work out discounts.

It's certainly going to last me a while, it took me six tries to win the first race :D

Oh definitely. On the Grand Prix races 1 and 2 stars are quite easy but the 3 star events are a big step up. Though I have a suspicion I'm rubbish as my 7 year old niece batters me on it.

Arthea

I go to play some and you have borderlands 2 giveaway, typical!

I'm afraid Hack, Slash, Loot is a bit too basic for me. It probably can be addictive if you are into roguelikes but there are better choices.

Turfster

How is borderlands 2 for someone that enjoyed BL1 but got bored of it mighty quick? Need to buy something since KOF still in no flash :(
Even more boring. Seriously, it's bad.
By the latter half of the game, you're basically just shooting 5000 spawning robots every 5 meters you progress. Every now and then, there's a big boss mech that stomps you like a bug... unless you go hide behind a pillar where he can't fucking touch you, so you just spend 5-20 minutes taking potshots at him to take him down.
Rinse, repeat.

Dr Dogg

That Golden Axe stage. Damn.

There's a Golden Axe stage? Ive put in 6 hours and never seen it. I need to get my arse in gear and play some more now. Afterburner certainly gets me pumped with the music even better than I remember.

Sega and arcades make up a lot of summer holiday memories for me. And probably my mum after nagging her constantly for change.

So it's like a slow, tactical L4D?

It's $7.49 right now. Was it already a daily deal before?

Its like l4d meets dayz sorta. The goal is to exit the map (at least the map I played, I think there are other maps with other end goals). To do so you need to do objective after objective while you head your way out. The objectives and the map are random to some extent. Not crazy random but after a playthrough or 2 you still are more on edge like it is a new experience and that goes a long way in this type of survival game. For example, one time I did not expect a ton of zombies to be jumping down off the roof like a wave and then there was a horde who entered through a door below... basically getting sandwiched.

There is permadeath as a survivor. And once you die you become a zombie, which can be satisfying cause you're now motivated to kill your former teammates who undoubtedly (sarcasm) caused your death in the first place.

Arthea

Why is Port Royale still so expensive? Is it good?
It's not that new and other Kalypso games are cheaper when that old.

Sajjaja

Why is Port Royale still so expensive? Is it good?
It's not that new and other Kalypso games are cheaper when that old.

62fx62f

XShagrath

Was sent immediately. Was in my spam folder though.
Alright. Signed up again with a different email where the spam filter's not so strict, and it came through right away. Thanks.

edit: Well, that sucked. Ended up buying the wrong one (non-Transformed), so ended up costing me twice as much as it should have to get the Steam one. Need to learn to read better.

Ryne

Making progress in Rogue Legacy. Still going through heroes like crazy, but I did find some more gear and crafted more armour. This is a good game, I'm getting hooked.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ya know, even after some effort, I'm still struggling heavily with the fatigue of owning too many games. I'm having a very hard time enjoying things as I'm constantly thinking of other games I could and want to play. I'm playing like 10-15 hours of certain games and I just have a hard time continuing. I rush through things, skip sidequests I usually wouldn't skip and just generally cant ever just 'take my time'.

I don't know what to do. I'm trying to force myself to continue on, but its that 'forced' feeling that is killing my normal fun.

These Steam sales are just making it worse cuz I now have even more games I'll never have the time to play.

I'm starting to think this has all been a terrible idea and that while console gaming is inferior and more expensive, its ultimately better for my gaming psyche. :(

Arthea

Ya know, even after some effort, I'm still struggling heavily with the fatigue of owning too many games. I'm having a very hard time enjoying things as I'm constantly thinking of other games I could and want to play. I'm playing like 10-15 hours of certain games and I just have a hard time continuing. I rush through things, skip sidequests I usually wouldn't skip and just generally cant ever just 'take my time'.

I don't know what to do. I'm trying to force myself to continue on, but its that 'forced' feeling that is killing my normal fun.

These Steam sales are just making it worse cuz I now have even more games I'll never have the time to play.

I'm starting to think this has all been a terrible idea and that while console gaming is inferior and more expensive, its ultimately better for my gaming psyche. :(

you still have it good, I can stare to my library for hours and can't decide what to play.
It's not very healthy for gaming "psyche" but you can't say we have no games to choose from ;)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

Just play what you want to play when you want to play it. Don't think "Oh, man I have X games in my backlog! I really need to finish them!"

Turfster

Just play what you want to play when you want to play it. Don't think "Oh, man I have X games in my backlog! I really need to finish them!"

This. Also, since you're buying games for a fraction of the price, nothing says you have to finish each game, as long as you got your money's worth out of it, so to speak.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Frick... Out of excess money for the month almost, don't have enough trading card money earned up yet as I bought a friend Counter-Strike: Source for Garry's Mod playing, but I do have $14 spare left to my name, so which one should I get? Farcry 3, Metro: The Last Light, or Godus? I am interested in all three.

Frick... Out of excess money for the month almost, don't have enough trading card money earned up yet as I bought a friend Counter-Strike: Source for Garry's Mod playing, but I do have $14 spare left to my name, so which one should I get? Farcry 3, Metro: The Last Light, or Godus? I am interested in all three.

You're a horror fan and haven't played Metro yet? ;)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Metro Def

Turfster

Godus is nothing more than a small part of a shitty tablet game that got transplanted to the PC at the moment. It's really not worth it.

Arthea

Not giving advice or anything, but Metro looks really good, if you wanna choose based on looks (><)
I'm interested in Godus impressions myself too.

Seanspeed

Banned
you still have it good, I can stare to my library for hours and can't decide what to play.
It's not very healthy for gaming "psyche" but you can't say we have no games to choose from ;)
It literally is a case of 'The only thing I don't like about it is its too good.' lol

I'm just not enjoying the time I'm having as much as I should be. All these great games I would normally be having a blast with and just going at my own pace, but I cant do that anymore. If I just kept giving in to this desire to play other games, I would never play anything more than a few hours.

I don't know how to handle it.

EdmondD

How is borderlands 2 for someone that enjoyed BL1 but got bored of it mighty quick? Need to buy something since KOF still in no flash :(

I'm going to agree with others here Borderlands 2 was a massive disappointment. I bought it for ten bucks during the summer sale and still felt ripped off.

It's biggest sin for me is some of the worst gunplay and guns I ever used. It's just straight up dull all around. Borderlands was way more fun for me.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm going to agree with others here Borderlands 2 was a massive disappointment. I bought it for ten bucks during the summer sale and still felt ripped off.

It's biggest sin for me is some of the worst gunplay and guns I ever used. It's just straight up dull all around. Borderlands was way more fun for me.
Borderlands 2 is just Borderlands 1 but better in every possible way.

I just finished Gone Home.

I really loved Dear Esther and Stanley Parable, but I thought Gone Home was totally boring. While Dear Esther and Stanley Parable conveyed some great atmosphere, Gone Home didnt do that. It just feel so shallow and I thought the "thought-provoking" story was nothing more a teenager could have written as well.

Dusk Golem

Am a horror fan, and liked Metro 2033, so I guess it's that I go. Going to see if I can sprinkle some trading magic with some spare games for the other ones and season pass, though.

If anyone interested in trading either the Metro: Last Light Season Pass, Farcry 3 Deluxe, or Godus for some combination of Rise of the Triad Pre-Order with Apogee Throwback Pack Gift Copy, Damned, System Shock 2, Don't Starve, Air Conflicts Secret Wars, Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood, Foreign Legion: Multi Massacre, and old bundle keys for "Risen 2, Sacred 2 Gold, Saints Row 2, and Saints Row: The Third" (one key), "Dead Island GOTY and Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package (DLC)" (one key), "Metro 2033, Risen, and Sacred Citadel" (one key), and Europa Universalis 3 Complete, just PM me.

Teknoman

imo if you're going to get FC3 of any kind, get Blood Dragon.

EdmondD

Borderlands 2 is just Borderlands 1 but better in every possible way.

I guess I liked Borderlands 1 more because back then it felt fresh and new. Borderlands 2 is the same shit with a prettier coat of paint and some slight improvements here and there. It's not a horrible game by any means but I felt it could have been so much better.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This is nothing but the plain truth. I hate not knowing what to play, and spending a lot of time browsing my library only to end up rewatching a couple of old AVGN episodes.

You'd think that with 500+ games you'll never get bored, but nope. Overchoice is almost as bad as lack of choice, if not worse (because it also costs you money).

I guess I liked Borderlands 1 more because back then it felt fresh and new. Borderlands 2 is the same shit with a prettier coat of paint and some slight improvements here and there. It's not a horrible game by any means but I felt it could have been so much better.

I played B1 directly before B2 and I have to agree.

Its essentially "the same Game". It really feels more like a "big addon" instead of a proper sequel.

Dusk Golem

imo if you're going to get FC3 of any kind, get Blood Dragon.

Typically I would agree as I love cheesy things like that, but I actually already own Blood Dragon and have beaten it, but been meaning to get the regular game as I did like Blood Dragon. I know people say the regular game is more the same, just not 80s obviously, but I am still interested in it.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just not enjoying the time I'm having as much as I should be. All these great games I would normally be having a blast with and just going at my own pace, but I cant do that anymore. If I just kept giving in to this desire to play other games, I would never play anything more than a few hours.

I don't know how to handle it.

But that's what I'm saying: Play a game until you don't want to play it anymore. Don't feel the need to hurry through a game because you need to get to the next and since you seem to have a little gaming ADD, don't start a new game until you're "done" with the one you're currently playing. Backlogs are a blessing, not an obligation.

Oh, also don't feel the need to buy everything. I tend to buy all my games in bundles now and because of that I haven't purchased anything in this sale so far. Either I have everything already or I'm sure it'll be in a bundle by the time I'll get to it anyway.

Backlog isn't an issue, just spend a few minutes to categorise your games and pick from the "want to play" category.

What is an issue for me is download sizes. I have about 70GB of games queued up and this is not something that is going to improve :|

Played my first matches in CS: GO and while I was the worst player in there, it was amazing to just launch a game and have it run smoothly with pretty high settings. Just surreal feel when just yesterday I only had my laptop and its laggish play. Even the use of youtube is so much more pleasant. Very happy that I finally have a decent PC to go with. Tomorrow I'll order a 23' Asus display and a new keyboard. Still deciding on new mouse. So good! :)

Installed Civ5 and will play my first session tomorrow and then decided whether I upgrade to Gold Edition or not. I tried also World Basketball Manager 2010 that my friend gifted me.. I know nothing about basketball.. but I'll try to get into it as I must honour my friends gift. He has been "enjoying" Cherry Tree High Comedy Club as well, the game I gifted him.

nbthedude

I just finished Gone Home.

I really loved Dear Esther and Stanley Parable, but I thought Gone Home was totally boring. While Dear Esther and Stanley Parable conveyed some great atmosphere, Gone Home didnt do that. It just feel so shallow and I thought the "thought-provoking" story was nothing more a teenager could have written as well.

This is what a game gets for being subtle and more abou characterization and loving details than about grande ideas.

Stanley Parable is cute. Dear Esther is conceptually well realized but cold and academic. Gone Home is human and personal and lovingly embedded in a group of people's lives at a particular place and time in their history.

Quake1028

Only NBA 2K14 for me so far, which I have been waiting for, and which was bought entirely with funds left over from the Summer Sale. Go me!

MachoSuave

Neo Member
This is nothing but the plain truth. I hate not knowing what to play, and spending a lot of time browsing my library only to end up rewatching a couple of old AVGN episodes.

You'd think that with 500+ games you'll never get bored, but nope. Overchoice is almost as bad as lack of choice, if not worse (because it also costs you money).

Is there still a Backloggers Anonymous self help thread going on? They tend to give good advice in there. Short answer is basically what's been said above: select a handful of "want to play" games, stick them in favorites and only show them.

Also if going cold turkey is too hard, tell yourself you can't buy a new game until you've finished 2, this helped me clear a lot of games I'd left at the finish line very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom