• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunder

Opinions on Wolf Among Us? Really, really liked TWD but I haven't gotten into the Fables series yet. Worth pulling the trigger?

zkylon

zkylewd
I've made peace with Ubi steering the franchise into the direction of an action-adventure kill-em-up masquerading as a stealth game. Desiring that the series return to the concepts abandoned in the move from the original game to the sequel is a lost cause, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread I'd love to see it revisit large, sprawling cities, especially if the next entry is going to built from the ground up with only next-gen platforms in mind -- I want the locale variety of 2 with city sizes comparable to Brotherhood's Rome at the least, in part because I actually loved the tombs in the Ezio trilogy (3 has its own spin on them, but they're significantly smaller).
yea I pretty much agree, I just wished 3 was actually good so I wouldn't feel bad about it being different

then again I kinda want to know what happens to desmond and veronica mars since I sort of like that part of the story

Slyjss

Opinions on Wolf Among Us? Really, really liked TWD but I haven't gotten into the Fables series yet. Worth pulling the trigger?

If you really like TWD, go for it. I knew nothing about Fables before I got into it, but it introduces you into the world really fast and by the end of the chapter you'll feel the need to start the comics. The style makes the crappy Telltale engine look surprisingly good. The only downside is that the choices feel less "urgent" than in TWD. That and the lack of a release date for Chapter 2. You'll understand when you finish the chapter.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't think so:

A) Assassination missions are sporadic within the main mission line and while there are assassination contracts and templars to hunt, these secondary tasks aren't high in number
B) The free-running system received a makeover for the worst in 3 as it now assumes what you want to do rather than leaving certain interactions up to player input, so for instance you can find yourself being magnetically pulled towards a lift you don't want to use simply because you're holding down RT, and while Black Flag's system is less "sticky", traversal problems still do arise
C) Assassin tombs have been replaced with underwater dives in Black Flag, but as I'm a hopeless completionist I haven't progressed far enough into the main campaign to unlock the diving bell just yet, so no thoughts on those I'm afraid
D) There are no horses but there is a ton of sailing, and even when Travel Speed is engaged it can feel rather slow, though the fast travel system has been expanded to ease this concern (every locale and viewpoint can be fast-travelled to)

The diving is atrociously handled like almost everything else in the series. If they're meant to replace the unique tombs then they did a piss poor job because each diving section is just a big open-ish area littered with more useless collectibles and chests and while you get them you have to dodge a billion sharks, eels, jelly fish, and urchins while watching your air meter at the same time. It's a massive pain in the ass for no reward at all. At least the tombs could be kind of fun to traverse as they were uniquely designed.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Wolf is kind of amazing. I knew nothing of this Fables series but the way they are using all these character properties is pretty brilliant. Voice acting is great, visuals are awesome, and the story seems really interesting. Its deserving of all the great reviews. I bought it at 22$ and that seems like a deal knowing im getting 5 episodes.

Wunder

Wolf is kind of amazing. I knew nothing of this Fables series but the way they are using all these character properties is pretty brilliant. Voice acting is great, visuals are awesome, and the story seems really interesting. Its deserving of all the great reviews. I bought it at 22$ and that seems like a deal knowing im getting 5 episodes.

If you really like TWD, go for it. I knew nothing about Fables before I got into it, but it introduces you into the world really fast and by the end of the chapter you'll feel the need to start the comics. The style makes the crappy Telltale engine look surprisingly good. The only downside is that the choices feel less "urgent" than in TWD. That and the lack of a release date for Chapter 2. You'll understand when you finish the chapter.

Thanks, friends! Will pick it up later tonight.

Deadbeat

Banned
Well on one hand it seams like there are some troubles going on with development and especially feedback. Though on the other the port is being handled by Nixxes so if it is a cluster fuck, it will be the best damned cluster fuck it can be on pc.
You know what we need? Another leak like human revolution.

Well on one hand it seams like there are some troubles going on with development and especially feedback. Though on the other the port is being handled by Nixxes so if it is a cluster fuck, it will be the best damned cluster fuck it can be on pc.

Nixxes is too good to us.

Type2

Hey guys I was just thinking about picking up Metro Last Light. Is the current steam deal the cheapest it has been so far?

Edit: the current price is 13.59

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The diving is atrociously handled like almost everything else in the series. If they're meant to replace the unique tombs then they did a piss poor job because each diving section is just a big open-ish area littered with more useless collectibles and chests and while you get them you have to dodge a billion sharks, eels, jelly fish, and urchins while watching your air meter at the same time. It's a massive pain in the ass for no reward at all. At least the tombs could be kind of fun to traverse as they were uniquely designed.

Sounds in line with what I was expecting. I don't think I'll hate them, and I'd certainly prefer levels akin to Ezio trilogy's tombs, but I don't see myself particularly enjoying them, either.

OrangeOak

Very good! It gets pretty difficult in some spots but it's the best non-Mario platformer I've played in a while.

Thanks,Im asking because there are some mixed reviews and some of them describe the game like a chore.
I remember playing it on c64 so I have some nostalgia towards this title and it's only $2,5 so Im not risking much :p

Burt

Jesus, these damn sales. Not all from Steam, but in the last few days I've picked up:

Antichamber
Hammerwatch
Spelunky
Gunpoint
CS:GO
Far Cry 3
Battlefield Bad Company 2

and I'm still considering picking up Last Light and a few other indies.

It's just not fair. I need a time machine.

Wait.. these two DLC below are not included in neither Civ5 Gold Edition or Brave New World?

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Scrambled Continents Map Pack
Sid Meier's Civilization V: Scrambled Nations Map Pack

Was going to upgrade to Gold Edition but it's frustrating to see a game sliced in so many parts. Makes me want to hold off for a complete edition.

Dr Dogg

You know what we need? Another leak like human revolution.

Definitely. I wasn't the least bit interested in HR, maybe Invisible War left too bad a taste in my mouth. Reading the impressions from the leak made me preorder it and was quite pleased how the game turned out. Kudos to Edios for not shutting down discussion and even letting people talk about it on their official forums. Makes me wonder if it was intentional? Hmmmmm...

Nixxes is too good to us.

Too true. I was faffing about with Tomb Raider earlier and the performance is staggering. Well with out Tress FX of course. That will eat half your frame rate unless you have the red blood of AMD running through your system.

JaseC

so with everything going off sale on Tuesday at 10am pst/1pm est does that mean we'll see a new set of daily deals tomorrow?

It seems so. The timer still mentions that new Dailies will appear in ~21 hours whereas last year it was just bumped up to 48 hours to signify that the Dailies wouldn't change:

iRcak1JWVniYQ.PNG

AlexBasch

Haven't followed this sale AT ALL because of work, but I sorta recall someone saying that these offers will be pretty much repeated in the Christmas sale, right?

Shambles

There is a GOTY edition of CIv5... they just kept releasing new add-ons after that. Amazon had the gold edition + BNW bundle for $20, you should have picked it up.

By GOTY edition I meant GOTY expansion. I already have the base game. I think when it comes to the Civ series I'll just wait until their done with all the expansions and then buy in. The end products are amazing but buying into the base game always feels like beta testing.

cicero

ronan36rcc.jpg

Never stop buying stuff (within reason).

What needs to happen is for it to take on strange cult-like aspects, where only a secretive inner cabal who wear similar Scorcese Romulan masks like Jase have access to Jase, who has taken to dressing in flowing metallic Mumu type garments and referencing himself in the royal "plural of majesty" voice. And all who participate in the Steam threads must come to pay homage by kneeling and knuckling their foreheads as he sits atop his 2,100+ game throne.

AND SO IT BEGINS.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Guess ill have to wait till Christmas sale to see some of the newer Daedelic adventure games go on sale more significantly. They are really pumping out some great games at a brisk pace now.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So i need an honest assessment on ass creed 4, hated 1, hated 3, didnt play 2 until this sale and I am enjoying 2 with the notable exception of the following:

a) distinct lack of actual assassinations
b) Jagged Parkour that isnt fluid
c) The horrible maze dungeons where you are directed poorly as to how to get from a to b
d) Going anywhere on horseback

I do however like the fighting, like the missions where I can assassinate people quietly and the upgrades.

Would I enjoy 4?

What the hell? That is like he best part of Assassin's Creed 2.

JaseC

wazoo

Nothing steam related but I bought Heart of the Swan for 20E on blizzard shop, which considering blizzard is a good reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom