• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Currently debating internally over whether I should use an Xbox One controller or get a steam controller for my steam link. Not sure how many valid comparisons there are to draw but any input is welcome

Arulan

Currently debating internally over whether I should use an Xbox One controller or get a steam controller for my steam link. Not sure how many valid comparisons there are to draw but any input is welcome

I'm sure others will contribute more details, but least to say that the Steam controller is vastly superior to traditional controllers. The right pad alone, in mouse mode, with no other changes whatsoever already put it significantly ahead. All the other customization options, back buttons, designed to limit having lift your right thumb, gyro, etc. skyrockets it.

Nabs

Do you guys have Gyro on all the time or do you press something to activate it?

Always on is significantly more intuitive, but also more finicky.

I use right pad touch most of the time. My thumb rarely leaves the area of the touch pad.

Grinchy

Banned
Picked one up a few hours ago. First impression is that the amount of customization is frankly amazing. I'm really loving what I'm seeing here with all the different profiles available for games I already have.
However, I'm not finding it comfortable to hold at the moment - the way the grips jut out into my palms is very uncomfortable. If I hold it a certain way then it's ok but I've got to really reach for the face buttons. Guess I'll just have to give it more time and get used to it.

It took many hours for my hands to adjust, and of course, the PS4 controller still feels way better. But it won't feel awkward forever. That's the only thing I can claim.

Nzyme32

Picked one up a few hours ago. First impression is that the amount of customization is frankly amazing. I'm really loving what I'm seeing here with all the different profiles available for games I already have.
However, I'm not finding it comfortable to hold at the moment - the way the grips jut out into my palms is very uncomfortable. If I hold it a certain way then it's ok but I've got to really reach for the face buttons. Guess I'll just have to give it more time and get used to it.

It took many hours for my hands to adjust, and of course, the PS4 controller still feels way better. But it won't feel awkward forever. That's the only thing I can claim.

I've been using only the Steam Controller for the past 7 months (and KB&M) and recently got to use a Xbox One and its controller - I suddenly noticed how much I have changed how I hold a controller more so than before. I really think it's important to make sure you don't hold it as if it was a standard controller since they are shaped fairly differently. I've found the Steam Controller comfortable for a long time now I'd say about as comfortable as any other such as the XB1 and DS4. We discussed the whole grip thing a few pages back. Might be helpful:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201546354&postcount=6020
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201549652&postcount=6027

Can't say I've had any issues with discomfort, and I've used this thing for really long stretches of time since launch.

Something I'm curious about actually is if people hold controllers with triggers and bumpers covered at all times? I've always used my index finger for all 4 and with the steam controller I use my middle finger for the grips. I assume this is normal for any controller.

Crayon

I have a template I've been working on to be a drop-in replacement for a 360 controller. It was inspired by skyrim, which has a peculiar way of feeling find on a dual shock and terrible on the mouse-like joystick mode.

Basically, I have the right pad configured to be a sort of big, analog dpad. I've been happy with it's current state for a few weeks and I am comfortable dropping it into any game with full controller support with no tweaking at all. I am very comfortable with it but I am curious about what other people would think.

Basically, the right pad is in mouse like joystick mode but most of the surface is set for edgeroll and it is less than full sensitivity. I use the modeshifting to make a click on the pad increase the edgeroll speed and take up the last bit of non-edgrolled area in the center. This was done with much attention paid to what my thumb "wants to do" in certain situations.

If anyone is interested I can upload it to skyrim or a number of other games for you to try and give me some feedback. I'm half expecting people to hate it but I love it.

Nzyme32

Can't say I've had any issues with discomfort, and I've used this thing for really long stretches of time since launch.

Something I'm curious about actually is if people hold controllers with triggers and bumpers covered at all times? I've always used my index finger for all 4 and with the steam controller I use my middle finger for the grips. I assume this is normal for any controller.

I'm similar to you, using my index for both shoulders and triggers, but I use my ring fingers for the grips. Sevaral others have mentioned using both index and middle for shoulders and triggers but seem fine with the controller, so seems to work out for both.

Personally, I just can't get over using a trigger to fire, but not using my index finger. So I've just found it more natural to use index fingers only

Nabs

That's the most comfortable for my hands, and that's also how I hold any other controller. Either way seems cool, as long as the controller feels good in your hands.

I'm really curious to try this thing. While I can't imagine it working well at all having seen so many positive impressions i'm really anxious to get it in my hands.

Too bad in Brazil it's insanely priced :(

Thinking of grabbing both a Steam Controller and Link since they're on sale. Not sure if I'll like that controller, so I wonder if there's a return policy.
There is. 30 days. I returned mine. The guy at the counter tried to give me a hassle saying I couldn't return it, but It says it on the back of the receipt in lack and white that new or pre owned accessories can be returned in 30 days

Nzyme32

There is. 30 days. I returned mine. The guy at the counter tried to give me a hassle saying I couldn't return it, but It says it on the back of the receipt in lack and white that new or pre owned accessories can be returned in 30 days

Be careful, some places like GAME in the UK will try and force in store credit on you rather than your actual money back

Meesh

Ok, so...I just sorta breezed through the OP as I was looking to see some impressions for Steam controller vs Xboone pad or PS4... I mean I'm not too happy with Xbone pad, there's definitely some driver issues that really put me off from playing so I'm thinking about the Steam pad I guess.
What's the compatibility like? Does the Steam pad work with most games? I'm not in a position to throw money at something blindly right now so any info or comparisons would be great.
I've been using only the Steam Controller for the past 7 months (and KB&M) and recently got to use a Xbox One and its controller - I suddenly noticed how much I have changed how I hold a controller more so than before. I really think it's important to make sure you don't hold it as if it was a standard controller since they are shaped fairly differently. I've found the Steam Controller comfortable for a long time now I'd say about as comfortable as any other such as the XB1 and DS4. We discussed the whole grip thing a few pages back. Might be helpful:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201546354&postcount=6020
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=201549652&postcount=6027
Sorry just saw this, thanks.

Ok, so...I just sorta breezed through the OP as I was looking to see some impressions for Steam controller vs Xboone pad or PS4... I mean I'm not too happy with Xbone pad, there's definitely some driver issues that really put me off from playing so I'm thinking about the Steam pad I guess.
What's the compatibility like? Does the Steam pad work with most games? I'm not in a position to throw money at something blindly right now so any info or comparisons would be great.
Sorry just saw this, thanks.

It works with basically everything that is on Steam except for stuff that doesn't like BPM. You can also add non-Steam games to your library and configure it like you would for any other game.

Can also use it for games you can't add to Steam by changing the desktop configuration. That is how I played through Diablo 3 and been using it for Overwatch recently.

Nzyme32

Max Payne 3 is a ton of fun with the Steam Controller, and no need for the silly dpad "turn 180" button.

I'm using the top community binding, but I didn't like that person's idea for how to use the mouse input. I ignored the advice in the binding description and left the sensitive in game at the default 3, then reset the Steam Controller mouse setting to be what they are by default, with a little extra sensitivity to suit my tastes. Everything else is setup like a 360 pad but with additional interact / cover and reload on the grips

Really really nice to have mouse speed & accuracy in these games. Only downside is the tool tips changing when you use the right pad but you can nudge any other control to flick it back.

As someone who has their PC hooked up to a TV and sometimes the keyboard is out of reach... How does the Steam Controller work as a kb&m when navigating Windows 10?

Also, how is it with Doom?

Tempted to go to Gamestop and pick it up at its current price.

Sophia

As someone who has their PC hooked up to a TV and sometimes the keyboard is out of reach... How does the Steam Controller work as a kb&m when navigating Windows 10?

Works great as a mouse. I find the onscreen keyboard is a bit lackluster in the prediction/completion department tho, but it works.

Nabs

Doom is amazing with the controller. I played through the whole thing and never felt like I was being held back.

coopolon

Thinking of grabbing both a Steam Controller and Link since they're on sale. Not sure if I'll like that controller, so I wonder if there's a return policy.

I able to return both the link Md the controller to amazon in December without any problems. Just jumped back in with current sale.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I use inverted on Overwatch. Gyro's inverted is opposite of what I'd like. Guess I have to tinker more.

I wish there were a PC controller option to navigate the UI of Overwatch. Instead, I'm flinging the mouse cursor around. Not as nice.

Anteater

Using it for desktop is probably the easiest thing to get used to, I used it a lot when I bought it just for that because my mouse is shit

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Yeah, unfortunately the store I went to was sold out of everything, but I have another location holding me a Link for tomorrow. They also have a controller, which I may get since I was assured I could return it if I didn't like it. The clerk (always very helpful to me) told me he had one, and wasn't a fan.

I'll decide for myself tomorrow.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I able to return both the link Md the controller to amazon in December without any problems. Just jumped back in with current sale.

Why did you return the Link?

I mean, good to know, and it is an accessory, so there shouldn't be an issue. If the streaming quality is poor, I'll return it.

Anteater

hmm how should I map the weapon switching in hard reset redux? Since there aren't any community profiles yet I have to make my own :p

Iorv3th

Hey all, I'm having trouble with this controller. I posted a thread here but am not finding any answers:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205584465#post205584465

Basically the controller seems broken in Mad Max.

Also, anyone know a way to get steam overlay to work in Killer Instinct? I got the game added to Steam but can't get overlay to work :/.

For Mad Max you are going to have to set the controller to be only KB+M or only Controller. It's probably a problem with a patch of the game.

I don't think overlays work with Windows 10 store games because of the way MS set it up.

Odrion

Banned
Been playing through Rage for the first time since Doom brought the id fanboy back out of me. That game's insistence on only showing controller button prompts regardless of what input you're using made me think "Oh, what a wonderful opportunity to use a Steam controller and enjoy a consistent interface!"

The second most popular controller configuration for that game is pretty incredible. A touch menu for your weapons AND quicksaving!

Steam Controller, not half bad!

Anteater

weird, I swear there's a way to name the buttons but the box is missing... maybe i'm too tired, made a test config real quick for hard reset I'll tweak it later, the game doesn't use a lot of buttons so that's nice

coopolon

I mean, good to know, and it is an accessory, so there shouldn't be an issue. If the streaming quality is poor, I'll return it.

The streaming quality was unacceptable for me at the time, there was also an issue I can't remember that I believe they have since fixed.

Plenty of people have amazing experiences though, just have to try it in your setup.

the streaming quality is terrible. i dont know if i got a bad unit or it is some compatibility issue with my tv, but its unplayable for me. no lag/compression problems or anything like that. the colors are basically destroyed

Slythe

Dusted off my steam controller for the first time in a couple months for my first run through of Dark Souls. Man if it doesn't feel like it is made specifically for this series. The bumpers and triggers are perfect for this game. I tried the Xbone controller for a bit and the colicky bumpers don't even compare for this kind of game.

Meesh

It works with basically everything that is on Steam except for stuff that doesn't like BPM. You can also add non-Steam games to your library and configure it like you would for any other game.

Can also use it for games you can't add to Steam by changing the desktop configuration. That is how I played through Diablo 3 and been using it for Overwatch recently.
Nice, thanks that helps a lot actually...looks like I'll be picking one up when I get back to the real world. (Working outta town.)

Fallout 4 feels terrible with this controller, I think because of its uneven performance.. Any tips?

Are you trying to use it with FO4 recognizing it as a controller or KBM? I never got it to work right with the former, and the later isn't optimal due to some jank with the setup but at least works.

Works great as a mouse. I find the onscreen keyboard is a bit lackluster in the prediction/completion department tho, but it works.

Doom is amazing with the controller. I played through the whole thing and never felt like I was being held back.

Using it for desktop is probably the easiest thing to get used to, I used it a lot when I bought it just for that because my mouse is shit

Thanks for info! I bought the controller this morning but I am having mixed thoughts about it so far.

Been using it for a few hours now and I am having a hard time playing Doom with it. I have tried the official layout and the community one with gyro on and off. It just seems very sensitive and hard for me to aim, run, and shoot all at the same time. I had to go back to my X1 controller. I also tried it on Rocket League and that game felt much easier to play using the Steam controller.

Can anyone recommend me an FPS that will help me get used to using the Steam controller?

FireRises

would you guys recommend this controller while it's on sale, even though Valve stated there is an upcoming hardware revision? I know Valve time, so that could mean 2018.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Even then. They've said that any redesigns most likely won't add functionality, just improvements to general feel and design.

If you're holding out for a dpad version, I wouldn't bother waiting.

warheat

I've always had bad luck buying stuff for example Pi 3 released 2 months after I got Pi 2. PS4K rumor spread like wildfire a week after I got PS4.

Should I pull the trigger? I mean there're bunch of rumor where people said a newer hardware revision is coming.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Y'all stress out too much over 35 bucks.

You've wasted more in less time, I assure you.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Picked up both the Link and controller this morning, but I won't get a chance to try them until later tonight.

Good thing they were both held for me as I got the last two units. The clerk told me he even fielded a couple phone calls this morning for the controller. Seems like this sale really gave these items a shot in the arm.

Can't wait to test everything out later!

Nzyme32

Mad Max temp fix (or rather as best as it can be till Valve / Avalanche fix Mouse + Gamepad)

- Right click mad max in your game library
- Select properties
- Select local files tab
- Click browse local files
- Open settings file in notpad
- Change:
SensitivityPitch 90
SensitivityYaw 90

- When using the Steam Controller in game, use the Mouse-like joystick option

Downside is that hard flicks are slower than they should be, but normally swiping around works brilliantly.

Thankfully this is one of the few games that is messed up. Max Payne 3 is still more fun with the Steam Controller's Gamepad+Mouse setup though. Can't get enough of it at the moment

Thanks for info! I bought the controller this morning but I am having mixed thoughts about it so far.

Been using it for a few hours now and I am having a hard time playing Doom with it. I have tried the official layout and the community one with gyro on and off. It just seems very sensitive and hard for me to aim, run, and shoot all at the same time. I had to go back to my X1 controller. I also tried it on Rocket League and that game felt much easier to play using the Steam controller.

Can anyone recommend me an FPS that will help me get used to using the Steam controller?
I'd say the latest DOOM is just as good an FPS to start with as any other, thanks to big targets. One thing you have to get over is learning to move your thumbs in tandem with each other. I recall when I first got the device, I would often adjust my aim by moving the trackpad and the thumbstick one after the other, which is a bad habit. Your right thumb should always be adjusting your aim, don't halt your right thumb and move with the left stick to adjust a shot. I also recommend switching fire to the left trigger. It'll help you focus your right thumb entirely on aiming, and keep it steady. It makes a world of a difference, IMO.

I'm not sure if you messed with actual sensitivity settings, but try and make sure you can do a 180 turn from the left side of the pad to the right. Gyro may or may not help. I personally play with it off, but it's still worth messing around with. Low acceleration is also something to consider if you feel like you have to move your thumb too much, just adjust sensitivity to account for it. Also, don't use your whole thumb, just the tip. The more of your thumb you have on it, the less precise your aim will be. Lastly, and this I feel is very important, lower smoothing. I wouldn't recommend any higher than five ticks, as it will mud up your input. You'll feel the difference immediately.

The only other thing I can say is to keep at it. Like I said, your hand must be constantly in motion, and that might be a bit difficult at first thanks to second nature, but you do get in the rhythm eventually. I know it took me a good while to get used to it. If you can get it down, the difference between the Steam Controller and a dual stick controller in shooters will be like night and day.

Max Payne 3 is a ton of fun with the Steam Controller, and no need for the silly dpad "turn 180" button.

I'm using the top community binding, but I didn't like that person's idea for how to use the mouse input. I ignored the advice in the binding description and left the sensitive in game at the default 3, then reset the Steam Controller mouse setting to be what they are by default, with a little extra sensitivity to suit my tastes. Everything else is setup like a 360 pad but with additional interact / cover and reload on the grips

Really really nice to have mouse speed & accuracy in these games. Only downside is the tool tips changing when you use the right pad but you can nudge any other control to flick it back.
Yeah, I've noticed a lot of games have this, and the trackball feature completely negates any need for it. Although I was recently playing Mirror's Edge, and it seems like you can't do a wall jump without that specific bind. :'/ Kind of a shame, but what can you do?

Nzyme32

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of games have this, and the trackball feature completely negates any need for it. Although I was recently playing Mirror's Edge, and it seems like you can't do a wall jump without that specific bind. :'/ Kind of a shame, but what can you do?

Yeah it's really weird when you play mostly on PC and never see the "180" button. But yeah it seems mirror's edge is designed around using that button to do some of the moves, so you have to use it

Crayon

Mad Max temp fix (or rather as best as it can be till Valve / Avalanche fix Mouse + Gamepad)

- Right click mad max in your game library
- Select properties
- Select local files tab
- Click browse local files
- Open settings file in notpad
- Change:
SensitivityPitch 90
SensitivityYaw 90

- When using the Steam Controller in game, use the Mouse-like joystick option

Downside is that hard flicks are slower than they should be, but normally swiping around works brilliantly.

Thankfully this is one of the few games that is messed up. Max Payne 3 is still more fun with the Steam Controller's Gamepad+Mouse setup though. Can't get enough of it at the moment

I made a config specifically for games (skyrim) that feel terrible on the mouse-like-joystick mode, and it turned out to be my favorite for any controller game. If you want to try it on mad max, I can upload it somewhere.

Nzyme32

I made a config specifically for games (skyrim) that feel terrible on the mouse-like-joystick mode, and it turned out to be my favorite for any controller game. If you want to try it on mad max, I can upload it somewhere.

Yeah I'd check it out. From what I tested, I couldn't get the mouse-joystick to work well only in Mad Max, where it for some reason will cause a movement speed reduction on fast swipes or flicks, so the only option was to increase the min x and y outputs via the controller settings, but even that wasn't good enough. The setting's ini file solution is massively better and more mouse like. It still has that weird slow down on fast thumb movement but works well otherwise, which is fine for now

Top Bottom