• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Interfectum

Any games you guys tried with this thing yet that made you go "I completely understand the magic you have made here, Valve"

I was sitting on my couch, kicked back with a beer playing Cities: Skylines and Team Fortress 2 with a Steam Controller through Steam Link. I was like... I get it Valve. I now understand.

gafneo

Banned
To get the best results for gyro, I suggest to put your right thumb at the low left edge of the touch pad. I'm able to hold my thumb down for a long time even while turning.

I haven't had the time to use my controller because of college. The only game I played was dead island with some friends. The mouse as the right stick is something to get used to and the ABXY buttons are small but it's a minor issue. It's comfortable to hold for long sessions. The settings are deeeeep I gotta learn what everything does. I noticed the default sensitivity for the track pad wasn't smooth. I changed that and everything was fine. I definitely want to test civ V with this. And dragon age origins.

Is there any way to make a button on the controller completely change all the other keys, like a switch?

I want to be able to change to mouse mode and gamepad mode depending on where I am in a game.

creyas

How's Fallout 3 / NV on the Steam Controller? I'm curious if Fallout 4 is going to work well with this thing.

They don't do pad + mouse and are really awkward in pip boy menus if you just map straight from keyboard to correct gameplay positions. I'd hope/expect 4 to be aight tho.

How are you guys finding the controller for 3rd-person (non-shooter) games like Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Rocket League, or even the Witcher 3? I have a Steam Controller but for these types of games it seems like the X-Box 360 (or X-Box One) controller is much better with the dual analog sticks.

I'm still fooling around with 1st/3rd person shooters using the gyro though. It does seem a bit better than traditional analog sticks but very hard to adjust to.

I adore using this with Shadow of Mordor. I bound the bow to the dual stage trigger, and sprint to the bumper so I can love the camera while running. Also, toss on gyro aiming for better headshots. Leagues better than the controller.

The witcher 3 I like, but it's taking longer to love. This is partially because it doesn't play nice with the "gamepad with high precision" mode which I think gives the best results - it's what I use for Mordor

Jinkies

Is there any way to make a button on the controller completely change all the other keys, like a switch?

I want to be able to change to mouse mode and gamepad mode depending on where I am in a game.

There is no toggle, but you can hold a button (e.g. a trigger) to change input assignments on the fly.

They don't do pad + mouse and are really awkward in pip boy menus if you just map straight from keyboard to correct gameplay positions. I'd hope/expect 4 to be aight tho.

If Valve didn't approach Bethesda long ago re Fallout 4, I need to question how seriously they're taking this foray into the hardware sector.

Any games you guys tried with this thing yet that made you go "I completely understand the magic you have made here, Valve"

Any game that doesn't support gamepads natively.

My custom config in Transformers feels better than my experience with a conventional gamepad, and I consistently perform better as well.

Portal 2 feels way more "lucid" as I'm walking and looking around. Using a right-stick controller in that game is very mushy and unwelcome now.

Fess

I was sitting on my couch, kicked back with a beer playing Cities: Skylines and Team Fortress 2 with a Steam Controller through Steam Link. I was like... I get it Valve. I now understand.
I sat in the sofa in the living room and played Dirt 3 Complete on Ultra at 60fps and Ikaruga to try out both the Steam Controller and Link with 5Ghz wifi and Yup it actually works, feels like I just got a new console.

Deadstar

I sat in the sofa in the living room and played Dirt 3 Complete on Ultra at 60fps and Ikaruga to try out both the Steam Controller and Link with 5Ghz wifi and Yup it actually works, feels like I just got a new console.

What kind of graphical quality is everyone getting? At first the performance was bad but I think it was a bug with big picture and haven't tried streaming since. Are you guys using the "Beautiful" option for streaming or Balanced?

Nzyme32

Pretty much the same feeling - although I'm not having a perfect experience since I am using a 4 year old laptop that is barely able to run BPM in a consistent manner. Looking forward to building my new machine having a proper living room machine

After playing a lot more with the gyro controls I don't think they'll be useful for online competitive shooters, but be totally fine for single player or co op ones. It is MUCH better than simply using the touchpad alone to aim, but it's still a long way away from true mouse aim. The gyro also drifts and the implementation of needing to angle the controller around with both hands doesn't feel as natural as if it was a one handed thing. I'm afraid the implementation will turn people off of using the motion controls at all, when really it is crucial for this to have any kind of good aiming capability at all.

Anyway, Woodsie posted a long video of him using it in CSGO matchmaking at his fairly high level of matchmaking tier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI-swsubB4k

It's not favorable to the controller but I think it gives a good showing of the limitations of it as well as what you can do with it. Holding an angle with the perfect setup is it's best shot, but actively tracking or reaiming at stuff is a difficult task and you can see his performance suffer when going for those kinds of shots. A good video to really analyze how the touchpad + gyro combination stacks up for these kinds of games.

DoT2

I pre-ordered the steam link but I'm still so on the fence over the controller.. I still will probably end up buying it tho.

Fess

What kind of graphical quality is everyone getting? At first the performance was bad but I think it was a bug with big picture and haven't tried streaming since. Are you guys using the "Beautiful" option for streaming or Balanced?
I'm going with balanced right now and lowered the res and refresh to 1080p60 to sync it better with my TV and it works flawlessly for me on the 5Ghz band, zero framedrops, and the picture quality is pretty much spot on too at least when seen on my 46" TV. I can try with the projector tomorrow to easier spot flaws in the picture.

I'm very pleasantly surprised anyhow.

The controller will take some time to get used to on some games, dual stick controls on track pad feels awkward imo and mouse touch pad doesn't work on all games. I tried to get my ubermodded Skyrim to work with the controller but it felt weird with all configs I tried. Tomb Raider 2013 with the touch pad camera was difficult and while mouse control worked superbly when aiming I couldn't walk and turn the camera simultaneously for some reason.

Still, being able to play Ikaruga, Dirt 3, Bastion, DOA5LR, with a controller through a PC streamer is all kinds of awesome.

Ricker

How many of you have the controller working fine in W10...? maybe thats the problem for me...? I have no clue why this worked one day and is not working anymore...?

Blizzard

Banned
Nope,the only other dongle I have is for my keyboard...not sure whats going on...I tried 6 USB ports,nothing...I also see it in device manager but BPM just wont see it...maybe tomorrow it will lol...
Did you try the extender cable they provide as well?

gafneo

Banned
After playing a lot more with the gyro controls I don't think they'll be useful for online competitive shooters, but be totally fine for single player or co op ones. It is MUCH better than simply using the touchpad alone to aim, but it's still a long way away from true mouse aim. The gyro also drifts and the implementation of needing to angle the controller around with both hands doesn't feel as natural as if it was a one handed thing. I'm afraid the implementation will turn people off of using the motion controls at all, when really it is crucial for this to have any kind of good aiming capability at all.

Anyway, Woodsie posted a long video of him using it in CSGO matchmaking at his fairly high level of matchmaking tier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI-swsubB4k

It's not favorable to the controller but I think it gives a good showing of the limitations of it as well as what you can do with it. Holding an angle with the perfect setup is it's best shot, but actively tracking or reaiming at stuff is a difficult task and you can see his performance suffer when going for those kinds of shots. A good video to really analyze how the touchpad + gyro combination stacks up for these kinds of games.
I haven't played online with gyro yet, but I'm sure if game companies design their projects from the ground up with the Steam controller, it would be pretty handy for online.

Miff

How many of you have the controller working fine in W10...? maybe thats the problem for me...? I have no clue why this worked one day and is not working anymore...?

No problems here (so far) in W10, but I've always been using a wired connection whilst at my PC (wireless downstairs via the link). So far I've always switched the controller on before connecting it to the cable, then launch BPM afterwards.

Foxyone

Not sure if this has been pointed out but looks like new pre-orders of the controller will not be available to December 9th onward:

Estimated Delivery: December 2nd - December 9th

* The estimated delivery date is for new pre-purchases on Steam. If you have an existing pre-order from before Oct 19th, you will receive your Steam Controller on Nov 10th.

Meanwhile the Link is "out of stock"

Perhaps my Gamestop pre-order may be redeemed after all and I was right not to cancel.

Deadstar

Only issues I have with windows 10 is big picture mode. Sometimes it feels very sluggish. Other than that it works great.

gafneo

Banned
I pre-ordered the steam link but I'm still so on the fence over the controller.. I still will probably end up buying it tho.

Trust me, it's not a waste. It's pretty universal. You are bound to find a use for it one way or another.

deleted

Anyone else having problems with Rocket League?
I can't get the game to maintain solid 60 FPS on either Balanced or Beautiful while streaming, when games like MGS V or Arkham Knight have no problems to do so at ca. 125 mbps..

Miff

Link now showing as back in stock again, estimated delivery still Nov 10th.

Started adding some configs to some of my niche games tonight and found that the controller doesn't like Akiba Strip (or vice versa). Think it might due to BPM not the expecting controller config window that pops up before the game launches. Wondering if there's any value in starting to keep track of compatibility at some point (maybe not right now given the frequent iterations).

Trouble

Banned
Has anyone played Mass Effect with the controller? I can't get it to respond in game.

Is it launched via Origin? I had to figure out how to make it work with Origin to get it working with Mass Effect 3.

Here's the relevant portion of my earlier post:

Also also, don't know if it's been mentioned, but I figured out how to launch Origin games with Overlay/Controller support. It's a bit convoluted and requires digging into the origin store page source for each game you want to add. You set the shortcut to launch origin.exe with a launch URL for the game you want.
Details on crafting the launch url here: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/a/179419

Edit: Turn off origin overlay and set origin to auto-quit after game exits as well.

kinn

Emailed them about my Mac issues...no response :(

Emailed them last Friday about my faulty controller, I got a default "ensure your on latest firmware" response on Monday. I replied straight back and Ive still not heard anything. Thursday now (1am UK).

First time dealing with their support.

Nzyme32

Emailed them last Friday about my faulty controller, I got a default "ensure your on latest firmware" response on Monday. I replied straight back and Ive still not heard anything. Thursday now (1am UK).

First time dealing with their support.

What's the issue with the controller? I've been getting responses after 2 days

TheRed

Is it launched via Origin? I had to figure out how to make it work with Origin to get it working with Mass Effect 3.

Here's the relevant portion of my earlier post:

Thanks but nah I have Mass Effect 1 and 2 just through steam. BPM doesn't come up at all in ME1 for me, haven't tried 2 yet..

Nzyme32

Right side touchpad haptics dont work.

Different problem for me, about the outer parts of the trackpads not detecting correctly and the deadzones seeming to be misaligned. They told me there were others with the same issue and there would be new firmware and updates via the beta client over the next week, and to keep providing feedback when each update arrives.

Blizzard

Banned
Different problem for me, about the outer parts of the trackpads not detecting correctly and the deadzones seeming to be misaligned. They told me there were others with the same issue and there would be new firmware and updates via the beta client over the next week, and to keep providing feedback when each update arrives.
What mode did the outer part not detect correctly in? D-pad mode gave me issues.

kinn

Lets hope that fixes your issues. I believe mine is an actual hardware fault. I will just have to wait until (hopefully) they finally accept that it is dodgy hardware and send out a replacement. Which pretty much means probably wont get sorted for ages.

Nzyme32

What mode did the outer part not detect correctly in? D-oad mode gave me issues.

Dpad, the deadzone is up and to the right a bit, so it doesn't match the indentations. Outer edge gets very jittery. Same with the trackball mode, but it looks way worse in the support tool. You can get the out edge to work if you drag from the centre to the edge, but you can't get any detection if you want to start from the edge at certain angles. It makes no sense

Blizzard

Banned
Dpad, the deadzone is up and to the right a bit, so it doesn't match the indentations. Outer edge gets very jittery. Same with the trackball mode, but it looks way worse in the support tool. You can get the out edge to work if you drag from the centre to the edge, but you can't get any detection if you want to start from the edge at certain angles. It makes no sense
Hmm, maybe that explains what I was seeing. In d-pad mode I would hit something like the top edge and randomly have the d-pad-right binding activate.

Crayon

After adopting the gyro for aiming in shooters I have tried oou a new setting for the right trackpad mouse.

I set the sensitivity on the low side (not far above the default line). The ball friction is low and the acceleration is high. The vertical friction is maxed. If anyone wants to try it with all my specific settings first hand, I uploaded it to Half Life 2 and called is Better Than a Mouse. With this setting, I can send the ball rolling relatively slowly, and catch it where I want.

And I'm using the track pad as a mouse rn in bpm. I'm not sure how. I exited ark and now I have a pointer.... aw it went away when I touched the stick.

this kind of sounds like what i'm experiencing, does it look like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRDL0IEiiMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-WXL5yVzag

i contacted support about it a few days ago but still haven't gotten a response yet

Vinlaen

Anyone tried Dolphin with this? This could be really awesome for wii games...
I could give it a try ... What kind of configuration do you think would work? For me, the tricky part is playing games that rely on the pointer/Wiimote like Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm still not completely sold on the hardware though :(

I just tried playing The Witcher (the first one) and even though the bindings I found are pretty good, combat still requires you to hover the mouse cursor over the enemies which makes it difficult and you can tell the game was never made for controllers.

Red

This might be a stupid question, but how do power line adapters work? If I got a steam link what else would I need to create a wired connection?

I couldnt help myself, i ordered one on amazon, hope it gets here nov10 like it says on the site. Dont mind if it comes out earlier too tho :p

TheRed

I could give it a try ... What kind of configuration do you think would work? For me, the tricky part is playing games that rely on the pointer/Wiimote like Super Mario Galaxy.
I didn't really have any specific ideas beyond I think it'd be neat if we could have the gyroscope in this work as the pointer/wiimote idk if that's possible.

TheRed

After adopting the gyro for aiming in shooters I have tried oou a new setting for the right trackpad mouse.

I set the sensitivity on the low side (not far above the default line). The ball friction is low and the acceleration is high. The vertical friction is maxed. If anyone wants to try it with all my specific settings first hand, I uploaded it to Half Life 2 and called is Better Than a Mouse. With this setting, I can send the ball rolling relatively slowly, and catch it where I want.
I gave this a try and wow I really like it. I was able to beat a part near the end of Spec Ops I was having trouble with for a long time earlier. It felt really good. May try it on more shooters now.

tenchir

I can't seem to find an answer for Bluetooth capabilities. Can you pair this controller to a PC using Bluetooth without the included dongle or does it only work with the dongle?

undecided

This might be a stupid question, but how do power line adapters work? If I got a steam link what else would I need to create a wired connection?
Power line Ethernet adapters require that both plugs are on the same circuit, but will basically be like a really long Ethernet cable. You would probably want to plug both into a router to allow for standard switching and Internet access, but technically could do it without one (might require a crossover cable, not sure if the steam link auto-senses that)

They are not guaranteed to work at the speed on the box, and tend to have a lot of variability in latency from my experience. My 400mbps kit often runs less than 100mbps.

I have had better luck with fast wifi

Top Bottom