• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

I'm really curious to see the capabilities of this with android. Do you need to use the dongle with an otg cable to connect it? Has anyone fiddled around with it?

Crayon

I gave this a try and wow I really like it. I was able to beat a part near the end of Spec Ops I was having trouble with for a long time earlier. It felt really good. May try it on more shooters now.

Thank you! I t's the best thing I've tried yet and it has allowed me to surpass my own mousing effectiveness.

Don Lapre

Power line Ethernet adapters require that both plugs are on the same circuit, but will basically be like a really long Ethernet cable. You would probably want to plug both into a router to allow for standard switching and Internet access, but technically could do it without one (might require a crossover cable, not sure if the steam link auto-senses that)

They are not guaranteed to work at the speed on the box, and tend to have a lot of variability in latency from my experience. My 400mbps kit often runs less than 100mbps.

I have had better luck with fast wifi

They do not require plugs on the same circuit.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Right pad touch. That was you don't have to think about it and you can just let instinct do its thing.

Yup, exactly. I'm using this for Star Citizen and it's quite natural. I can progressively tilt the controller to follow a curve closely and release the touch while I quickly move it back to home position. It's similar to picking up a mouse to reposition except not as heavy.

Trouble

Banned
They do not require plugs on the same circuit.

True, but performance drops to shit if they aren't.

I used to have powerline adapters to run to my office (can't fish line through the walls here, long story), now I just have a long-ass ethernet cable strung up on the top of the wall going down the hallway. Could never get more than 80mbps because of having to run on different circuits. After I upgraded to 150mbit internet I decided that having a visible cable was less annoying than running at half my connection's speed.

Beta update

Fixed Mode Shifts not showing up properly on main controller overview.
Fixed Mode Shifts not being disabled by setting the shift button to none.
Mouse Rotation now visualized as a horizon line when changing the slider.
Gyro Enable Button is now visible in the gyro preferences.

Does the Link really not have a Steam controller receiver built in?

It does have one.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Dangit why can you set the gyro to activate with everything but the friggin triggers?
Exactly, the only time I want to use it is as I'm shooting.

This controller is an interesting ride, the more the beauty of the touch controls become clear to me, the more I grow to hate the problems with the physical side of the thing. About the only acceptable part of the physicality to me is the profile and the pads. The buttons' ergonomocs and the feel when pressed are all just not nice feeling at all. But the beauty of this thing is that I can completely ignore things like the horrific bumpers and just enjoy what it does right in a kind of vacuum.

Wait, for the slow people like me: I don't have to plug the dongle into the steam link? Because that's what I've been doing so far...

So, I start the link and turn my controller on with guide + X and it should connect to the link?

Correct. And if that doesn't work, plug in the controller via USB and manually add the controller then unplug. And you can toggle the controller between the Link and a PC (syncd with the dongle) with Guide+A.

dsk1210

Anybody tried the controller with the Oculus Rift? Mouse movement always seemed to make me less quesy than analogue stick movement, I would imagine the Steam Controller should be better for that fact alone.

People who got it last week had till Sept 25 to confirm their address. For those who get it next month it was till Oct 20. I take it you're in the latter group?

I missed the E-mail! Did I need to confirm the details if they are correct or only do something if they need changing?

They made an update.

Nymerio

Correct. And if that doesn't work, plug in the controller via USB and manually add the controller then unplug. And you can toggle the controller between the Link and a PC (syncd with the dongle) with Guide+A.

Oh wow, that's great. Do you also know about PS3/PS4 controllers? Can I use them wireless or do I need to plug them in?

Nzyme32

this kind of sounds like what i'm experiencing, does it look like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRDL0IEiiMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-WXL5yVzag

i contacted support about it a few days ago but still haven't gotten a response yet

I have the exact same issue shown in super meat boy and in the support tool, but the area I can show I. The support tool is much smaller on mine. You can't get the green indicator to the outer edge at all. Mine only gets 3 quartets of the way there

Red

Power line Ethernet adapters require that both plugs are on the same circuit, but will basically be like a really long Ethernet cable. You would probably want to plug both into a router to allow for standard switching and Internet access, but technically could do it without one (might require a crossover cable, not sure if the steam link auto-senses that)

They are not guaranteed to work at the speed on the box, and tend to have a lot of variability in latency from my experience. My 400mbps kit often runs less than 100mbps.

I have had better luck with fast wifi
Got you. Wifi on my PCs only goes to about 4.4Mbps. Thanks for the info.

Can't wait to get one of these on 10/11. I am enjoying following all of your impressions and have a few questions if someone would be good enough to answer them:

Dual stage triggers: Is it possible to activate the key bound to a hard press without first activating the key bound to a soft press? Like if you press it fast enough you skip the first stage all together and effectively have two buttons in one, or is it only for things like a boost button under an accelerator where one naturally follows the other?

Is it possible bind two keyboard keys to one button? e.g. Ctrl + 1 bound to the X button.

I know you need to be in BPM to configure the controller, does that include selecting from preset developer/community bindings?

Thanks.

Nzyme32

Dual stage triggers: Is it possible to activate the key bound to a hard press without first activating the key bound to a soft press? Like if you press it fast enough you skip the first stage all together and effectively have two buttons in one, or is it only for things like a boost button under an accelerator where one naturally follows the other?

Is it possible bind two keyboard keys to one button? e.g. Ctrl + 1 bound to the X button.

I know you need to be in BPM to configure the controller, does that include selecting from preset developer/community bindings?

Thanks.

- yes. It is part of the trigger setup depending on what you choose. You can have aim as soft press, fire as full, and hipfire as hair trigger rapid press, all on the same trigger.

- yes. It's called modifiers, its in the OP

- Yes you need BPM to choose them as it currently stands. If you set it up before though it won't need BPM to choose it, but you can't change it without bpm

Thanks Nzyme32 and laxu.

This controller seems made for me as I already play PC games from an armchair in front of the TV with my mouse on a box, plus I've never been happy with WASD for movement or an analogue stick for aiming. It also sounds like I can get a whole load of functions out of the buttons for RTS games, although I'm not sure if the trackpad will be up to snuff on that front.

Did krejlooc ever put out that guide he talked about?

Has anybody made a get Elite:Dangerous configuration yet?

Valve really needs to add a rating system for community bindings. Its absurd to have to go through random bindings that are bad.

Red

Turning on gyro haptics doesn't seem to do anything. Is the controller supposed to provide feedback as it moves? Maybe the most frustrating thing to me about this controller is I've never used anything like it. I don't know if it's functioning properly or not.

They made an update.

3/4 of these were bothering me - awesome. I was in mode shift hell every time I logged into the Witcher 3.

I pre-ordered both the Steam Link and Steam Controller. I got two copies of Portal 2 but only one copy of Rocket League. Anyone else have this issue?

Crayon

Exactly, the only time I want to use it is as I'm shooting.

This controller is an interesting ride, the more the beauty of the touch controls become clear to me, the more I grow to hate the problems with the physical side of the thing. About the only acceptable part of the physicality to me is the profile and the pads. The buttons' ergonomocs and the feel when pressed are all just not nice feeling at all. But the beauty of this thing is that I can completely ignore things like the horrific bumpers and just enjoy what it does right in a kind of vacuum.

I thought the bumpers were bad too, but then i changed my grip so that my index finger s are resting above the bumpers and i nudge them from above. I had to adjust to using my middle fingers for triggers but the bumpers make sense now, the sticks and buttons are much easier to reach, and i dont have to rotate the mousepad drastically like i did before. Im convinced this is the right way to hold it. have you tried this? when i did, the whole controller immediatly made more sense.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
WHAT

What does this mean precisely!?

Part of the email circulating from Valve.

Valve said:
We've added the Valve Complete Pack to your Steam account as a gift from Valve. This will give you all of Valve's games (past, present and future) free of charge. You can still choose to refund your Steam Controller and/or Steam Link (refund instructions below), but the Valve games are yours to keep

Whether it is a typo or poorly written, idk.

Odrion

Banned

When you look at your game activation history it says that Valve gave you the "Valve Friends and Family complimentary", which is a package that updates itself to include whatever new games Valve releases.

Never gonna buy a Valve game again. B^)

Nzyme32

It's the "friends and family" pack that isn't for sale. Unlike the Valve complete pack you can buy, the one Valve are giving does give access to everything they have released and will release in future. A sound way to apologise really, while also letting those Mac customers still get a refund if they don't like the controller or see the improvements they want over the next two months

I thought the bumpers were bad too, but then i changed my grip so that my index finger s are resting above the bumpers and i nudge them from above. I had to adjust to using my middle fingers for triggers but the bumpers make sense now, the sticks and buttons are much easier to reach, and i dont have to rotate the mousepad drastically like i did before. Im convinced this is the right way to hold it. have you tried this? when i did, the whole controller immediatly made more sense.

I've never been able to use bumpers and triggers at the same time. My brain won't allow it.

Anyone tried making a config for Resident Evil 4? I'm trying to map the controller so I can use the right touch-pad to move the camera/aim with and use the control stick to move with but it doesn't let me. Whenever I try the stick just gets wonky, doesn't work and instead does actions that aren't bound to it like aiming.

Iorv3th

Anyone tried making a config for Resident Evil 4? I'm trying to map the controller so I can use the right touch-pad to move the camera/aim with and use the control stick to move with but it doesn't let me. Whenever I try the stick just gets wonky, doesn't work and instead does actions that aren't bound to it like aiming.

Do you have it set as purely m/kb or controller?

If you are mixing using gamepad with high precision camera (mouse) it might be what is giving you problems. Try using mode or the other (probably gamepad since there are QTE's).

Do you have it set as purely m/kb or controller?

If you are mixing using gamepad with high precision camera (mouse) it might be what is giving you problems. Try using mode or the other (probably gamepad since there are QTE's).
Yeah I guess that's what is causing it. I'm using gamepad, but the touchpad is using the mouse input.

Nzyme32

I'm having an annoying issue in MGSV where the keboard mouse and gyro setup for some reason is causing the analogue stick to randomly lock movements for a brief period, so I'm stuck moving in one direction for a while.

No idea why. Really infuriating

I have one up called 'Wii layout with touchpad aiming'. Here's a video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dHdExQd0jg

I'm having an annoying issue in MGSV where the keboard mouse and gyro setup for some reason is causing the analogue stick to randomly lock movements for a brief period, so I'm stuck moving in one direction for a while.

No idea why. Really infuriating

I have this issue too, something about the way the game queues inputs from the keyboard

https://steamcommunity.com/app/287700/discussions/0/527274088382106099/

I was told to just press the direction the character is locked to and that should fix it, very annoying for the super intense perfect stealth missions.

Nzyme32

I have this issue too, something about the way the game queues inputs from the keyboard

https://steamcommunity.com/app/287700/discussions/0/527274088382106099/

I was told to just press the direction the character is locked to and that should fix it, very annoying for the super intense perfect stealth missions.

Is this something that will get fixed though?

It's pretty annoying, because I've grown to like the mouse + gyro combo, and it works well in that game (when not moving)

Is this something that will get fixed though?

It's pretty annoying, because I've grown to like the mouse + gyro combo, and it works well in that game (when not moving)

Pretty sure its on Konami's side, and looking at the last page of comments in the Steam Thread, it doesnt seem like they have even acknowledge it yet, they are too busy fixing regression bugs introduced with the latest patches for unlockables that have been day since day 1.

Top Bottom