• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

It has been a quite fruitful couple of months, gaming wise, considering the amount of my free time considerably dropped to sub-hour-per-day due to work being a major pain in the butt.

I've finished Persona 4, my first JRPG in a very long time (I think that, excluding the bi-yearly Skies of Arcadia playthrough, the last one was FFX back when it came out - or maybe it was SMT Nocturne? anyway it was something from the PS2 era).
I quite enjoyed it, even though halfway through its story definitely starts to drag, but at least the combat system is so fast that it never really bothered me as I was expecting due to my current intolerance to useless X-button-mashing turn-based combats.
Just one thing I didn't quite get: but does the main character receive
an handie
in a fade to black scene while ranking up the Devil? :D
(also: it emulates gloriously with PCSX2, if you can stand some shadow (actual, not the shadow monsters) not rendering properly as plain black, but getting the whirling animation of the TV world - which to be honest is even more enthralling to look)

Then I said fuck you to me being a chicken, and started my first horror game since Silent Hill 2: Alan Wake.
I enjoyed it A LOT. Much more than both Remedy's Max Payne (but less than Rockstar's MP, it being the bestest TPS ever), anyway, and I even liked the combat system and how tense it gets - even though of course I'd loved a bit more stamina, to make running to the light less of a chore.
I don't understand why some people says it's sort of an heir to Twin Peaks. I mean, ok, there is a lady holding a lamp instead of a log, and it's set in a place with a forest and a sawmill, but that's it really. Honestly, it shares more with Californication than Twin Peaks.

Quite tired from the anxiety inducing horror gaming, I decided to space out AW and American Nightmare with a lighter game: Wolfenstein TNO.
Well, surprisingly enough, I can run it at best quality (which is more than ultra) at solid 60 fps. Except cutscenes, which run at 30fps, and anyway get a huge stutter of 1 second every time they begin.
Now, why the heck would they lock the framerate of in-engine cutscenes, even - I guess - making them more prone to frame drops and whatnot? They also look considerably worse than the actual in-game.
Oh well.
As for the game, I just started it but woah, I totally forgot how cumbersome was to control old-school FPS, with number keys to switch weapons.
Oh, and fuck me, during the tutorial there's a scene where you have to run and crouch, to slide under a thing. So, you are supposed to holding down W (middle finger), then left shift (ring) and finally left ctrl (pinky). WTF? Why would they want to destroy my wrist?
But eh, at least it's fun as hell.

derExperte

Devolver Super Secret Bundle of Savings

CVOgk1-UwAAyT0D.png:large

FloatOn

I really enjoyed Arkham Origins. Also didn't really have many issues with when I played it recently. Definitely worth playing especially if you haven't and aren't marathoning the gamesZ

I was enjoying it up until that deathstroke boss fight

which was one big QTE-fest that I couldn't tolerate

Jawmuncher

No it's Microsoft post the Xbox 360 talking about the PC.

They already fucked up again.

That's not really fair to say. I mean it's not confirmed.
They could come out tomorrow and say "XBL on PC will be FREE even on MP"

I was enjoying it up until that deathstroke boss fight

which was one big QTE-fest that I couldn't tolerate

Yeah that's the lowest part of the game. Thankfully nothing really like that afterwards.

Corpekata

Banned
In order to justify Xbox Live sub even at a glance they'd need to port like all their damn games. Nobody's going to use it for like Fable Legends and Killer Instinct alone.

Or somehow get a ton of third parties on board.

Jawmuncher

In order to justify Xbox Live sub even at a glance they'd need to port like all their damn games. Nobody's going to use it for like Fable Legends and Killer Instinct alone.

Or somehow get a ton of third parties on board.

The third parties didn't help them out last time with GFWL. After like a year Capcom was the only one sticking with it for whatever reason. There would have to be some sort service that is more than just "XBL on PC". They already know PC gamers aren't going to pay for MP and Achievements. Which is about the only thing GFWL offered. I can't think of anything though that would sway people to pay 50-60 a year though on PC.

Killer Instinct has a small but devoted fanbase. If they try to release it on PC as F2P, but you need XBL Gold to play on top of it. It's already dead on the water for PC.

Better off asuming everything will be a smoldering mess and being pleasantly surprised.

Can never be disappointed.

I could never do that.

The only way I could ever see this maybe, potentially, almost kind of maybe sorta working is if they treat PC as a equal to Xbox, releasing games same day, and maybe universal cross multiplayer. I could totally hear their argument for this if they did those 2 things.

Still can't say I would ever probably subscribe but it would be interesting to hear what their plan would even be, considering how much their previous attempt blew up in their face, one would think they would have learned their lesson and wouldn't make the same mistakes as before but it's Microsoft, so...

Jawmuncher

The only way I could ever see this maybe, potentially, almost kind of maybe sorta working is if they treat PC as a equal to Xbox, releasing games same day, and maybe universal cross multiplayer. I could totally hear their argument for this if they did those 2 things.

Still can't say I would ever probably subscribe but it would be interesting to hear what their plan would even be, considering how much their previous attempt blew up in their face, one would think they would have learned their lesson and wouldn't make the same mistakes as before but it's Microsoft, so...

Yeah them treating PC as basically another type of Xbox with same date releases and everything on Xbox available for PC would be the only way they could even get through the door.

Anteater

Darksiders 2 is pretty fun, the camera can be annoying though since you're sometimes fighting in small areas especially they put some of the enemies in a corner, on top of that I don't know what they were thinking with the lock-on that zooms in even more and add black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, dude, really?

Turfster

The GOG forum has a list of things that have been given away for the 3$ mystery gift.

The only thing I'd care about would be GK 20th anniversary, so I'm not going to get caught in the same trap as last time.

maybe the button prompts were not working for me right or something because for the life of me I just couldn't get the timing right.

and yeah, new username
I really like what the combat mechanics in that game allow for big fights and crowd management, but it really doesn't lend itself to one-on-one fights. I'm hoping any future Batman games take a different route when it comes to fighting, though I still appreciate what Rocksteady accomplished. The series' strength lies in the stealth/predator gameplay, which is why the best bosses centered on that.

I wonder why there should be another Shaq Fu game. The game was shit and it somehow became a Meme around 2006/2007 but the game is still shit.

Yeah, but it was notoriously shit.

If they make an HD remaster and put it up on Steam at the right pricepoint, it will fly off the virtual shelves just for the har-hars alone.

EDIT: I'll include myself in that list of people that will scoop it up. I grew up around Orlando in Shaq's original heyday. I had the toys, the game and, of course the
Penny Hardaway
jersey.

Grief.exe

The third parties didn't help them out last time with GFWL. After like a year Capcom was the only one sticking with it for whatever reason. There would have to be some sort service that is more than just "XBL on PC". They already know PC gamers aren't going to pay for MP and Achievements. Which is about the only thing GFWL offered. I can't think of anything though that would sway people to pay 50-60 a year though on PC.

Killer Instinct has a small but devoted fanbase. If they try to release it on PC as F2P, but you need XBL Gold to play on top of it. It's already dead on the water for PC.

GFWL does reduce porting cost apparently since it uses the same calls as the Xbox 360 version, of course, Gabe will tell you that using DRM significantly reduces your revenue overall so it ends up costing you money. In Capcom's case, they are really hurting since they needed to spend extra money to remove GFWL down the line.

Sorry if i missed it. But did/do we get a Steamspy Sales analysis from the Fall Sale?

They posted some sales leaders on his Twitter account today, Patron subscribers get revenue information.

Dr Dogg

Quite tired from the anxiety inducing horror gaming, I decided to space out AW and American Nightmare with a lighter game: Wolfenstein TNO.
Well, surprisingly enough, I can run it at best quality (which is more than ultra) at solid 60 fps. Except cutscenes, which run at 30fps, and anyway get a huge stutter of 1 second every time they begin.
Now, why the heck would they lock the framerate of in-engine cutscenes, even - I guess - making them more prone to frame drops and whatnot? They also look considerably worse than the actual in-game.
Oh well.

Because 'surprise, surprise' cutscenes in Wolf TNO were prerendered. I mean the giveaway first is the framerate drop, secondaly GPU usage goes to nothing, third there's Blink trademarks in the credits and 4th there's a folder for 3.5-4gbs of them :p

But yeah you've got a 780 right? Ran great for me (well using one card) bar screen space reflections which would be a hit that usually caused things to lock up (idTech5 and it's insistence of running at 60fps and all that). The Old Blood on the other hand was a bit more demanding, I guess in part of dropping PS360 versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom