• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Dr Dogg we should try to multiplay X at some point! SteamU-GAF unite. I'll pick up a copy on friday, considered digital, but I downloaded the packs and decided I want that sexy cover in my life anyway

Monooboe

Heh, had a funny moment in AC Syndicate, when taking over a Stronghold I used Hallucinogenic dart on the boss and then 6 guards attacked him, after they've killed him they all got scared and ran away.

seinfieldlaugh.gif

Dr Dogg

Man the days of WON and DWANGO seem so distant now.

Dr Dogg we should try to multiplay X at some point! SteamU-GAF unite. I'll pick up a copy on friday, considered digital, but I downloaded the packs and decided I want that sexy cover in my life anyway

Deffo! miiverse and online stuff is down at the moment though due to release date not being until Friday.

Happy birthday Tesseract.

And some bundle game:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Stellar 2d -- MB-024086F69530DDE2 - Taken by ExoSoul

zkylon

zkylewd
The anime studio mentioned in the 1.9M stretch goal for Indivisible is probably for Trigger (ex-Gainax staff, did FLCL, Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, and Little Witch Academia) or Bones.

4ZBeti2.png

please be trigger please be trigger please be trigger please be trigger please be trigger please be trigger

imagine if u had like

ryuko summon

like fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

That's what I mean by thread the needle. Anything where you have to jam a mine so that it creates a small hole in the pattern and you have to carefully walk through there.
oh alright. i definitely think the bigger problems with the game were all related to unnecessary "precision" stuff and i just don't think that death or like screwing up the puzzle without knowing it are good puzzle design

i hated all of that

Anyone else using Win 10 here... Do you have the system constantly asking you which program to use to open filetypes? Even when you explicitly set it to a single program weeks before?

Either I'm losing my memory, or the bloody thing keeps reverting my decisions to use, you know, good programs and instead tries to sneakily set the system to use Edge, Outlook, Image Viewer or whatever else MS deems necessary...
that hasn't happened to me

Nzyme32

A thread is needed for entertainment purposes

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft. I assume (perhaps falsely) that they'll tie this in as a new "benefit" for existing Xbox Live Gold members, meaning that there won't be a separate PC subscription. Just like there isn't a separate Xbox One / Xbox 360 subscription now. Let's take a look for a second at what Xbox Live Gold actually offers:
  • Multiplayer Gaming - In the PC space, gamers have come to expect this is free since we've rarely if ever paid for it. Paid multiplayer gaming on PC typically falls in the realm of MMO games, so I expect that they'll try to push this angle with that new Fable game pretty hard.
  • Free Games (Games with Gold) - The Xbox 360 is on it's way out. They probably don't want to have to double the number of Xbox One games they're giving away with this program, so it makes sense they would try to find a "replacement" for this part of the program and it seems they've found one in something most people already own: a PC.
  • Exclusive Discounts (Deals with Gold) - Everyone seemed to love the $0.10 Microsoft Store sale on games. I could see them extending their Deals with Gold discounts to the Windows Store for these types of games.
  • Parties and Party Chat - Again this is something everyone familiar with PC gaming is already doing for free, so it'll be a tough sale. However, given the prevalence of the Xbox App on Windows 10 I could see some less informed users not bothering with Teamspeak or Steam Chat in favor of doing this party chat with their Xbox buddies, especially if it's cross-platform.
While I don't agree with it's merits, I can certainly see why Microsoft would be pushing for this. I think it really boils down to them looking for a long-term solution that everyone's happy with (Xbox One + PC) before officially retiring the service for Xbox 360 users.

At the end of the day though (assuming Microsoft does what Microsoft has been doing for years) you'll end up with a large number of people who buy Xbox Live Gold because it has benefits on multiple devices they own. The people who already have Xbox Live will see the addition of PC as a new "benefit" (even though all or most of this stuff is possible on PC for free) and you'll even get some chowderheads that want to play Fable or talk with their Xbox buddies but won't want to shell out for an Xbox One and will sign up. The rest of us will go on laughing at them, just like we've been doing for years anyway.

That makes quite a bit of sense actually. I'm sure there are a bunch of people that are willing to pay a sub fee to access their games / "features", but at the same time plenty of PC folk find the notion hilarious as do I. This also fits in with the slightly ominous conversation Phil Spencer had about the future of Xbox / Windows convergence:

Phase two — convergence — isn't the end. And phase three, which it sounds like is being primed for 2016, might be even more interesting, too.

"This is where you've got to come up with some real great, unique ideas. I love where we're going. I think of the next year as we start to tell more and more of the story, it'll be great. There'll be certain people who'll throw eggs at certain parts of it and people embrace other parts of it. But I'm really happy around the foundation that we've been able to put in place over the last whatever it's been, 15, 16 months."

derExperte

NEW ALL STARS 4 BUNDLE - $1.99 for 72 hours only!

http://bstars.co/allstars4b

Evoland
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
Overture
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
PixelJunk Shooter
PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate
Survivalist
GT Legends
Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered

tuxfool

Banned
  • Multiplayer Gaming - In the PC space, gamers have come to expect this is free since we've rarely if ever paid for it. Paid multiplayer gaming on PC typically falls in the realm of MMO games, so I expect that they'll try to push this angle with that new Fable game pretty hard.

They can push it, but I haven't seen anybody excited about that game, even when implicitly assuming it was on a standard PC online system.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Well, figures.

And then you have the ability to effectively now start to get Xbox Live and all these games that you're using, whether it be Solitaire or Minecraft, and now what we see is we have almost the same number of Xbox Live monthly actives on Windows as we do on the console. And to be fair, not the same, console user Xbox Live Gold paying subscribers, these are free customers. But the ability to build a subscription business on the back of that now, you can start to see some light for that opportunity.

Obligatory Microsoft Gonna Microsoft...

Li Kao

I just started Black Ops 2 yesterday and for the first time in my gaming life I wonder if it's worth the hassle. What the fuck is this piece of shit ? First the game refused to launch because I had set the thing in English but not the Zombie part of it, then mounted guns on a boat were blurry as shit, then I got some terrible mouse control during one section and now the game just crash plain and simple.

I am extremely tired of wasting my time on multiple forums and youtube helps to fix this aberration.

Eh, two hours of playtime, is there a limit date for refunds ?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
but do we trust this will be the same or more during winter sale? hm.....

I heard it's getting a physical PS4 release next year. Hate to say it, but it kind of made me want to wait for that rather than buying it on Steam.

fallout

Let's take a look for a second at what Xbox Live Gold actually offers:
I think it's worth mentioning here that with MMOs, the monthly fee isn't just about the massively multiplayer online server, but also having content updates on a regular basis. Many MMOs die off from not being able to consistently produce enough content to keep players engaged. Sure, paid expansions do come, but there's a space in between those expansions that really has to be filled and the 10-15 bucks a month contributes to that contract.

Not arguing with you or anything, just felt like that was a point worth adding to your thoughts.

Dr Dogg

You'd think this key bit

https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=http://www.microsoft.com/investor/downloads/events/Yusuf_CS.docx

might have caught some folks attention. Well if they bother to click the link for starters.

gabbo

At the end of the day though (assuming Microsoft does what Microsoft has been doing for years) you'll end up with a large number of people who buy Xbox Live Gold because it has benefits on multiple devices they own. The people who already have Xbox Live will see the addition of PC as a new "benefit" (even though all or most of this stuff is possible on PC for free) and you'll even get some chowderheads that want to play Fable or talk with their Xbox buddies but won't want to shell out for an Xbox One and will sign up. The rest of us will go on laughing at them, just like we've been doing for years anyway.

So the possible idea is they're going to relive the heady days of GFWL/Vista/DX10 all over again, but with even less on offer than before?
edit: Assuming that site is legit, it'll tank, they'll treat PC like they have since the OGXbox, and that's discouraging.

jshackles

I think it's worth mentioning here that with MMOs, the monthly fee isn't just about the massively multiplayer online server, but also having content updates on a regular basis. Many MMOs die off from not being able to consistently produce enough content to keep players engaged. Sure, paid expansions do come, but there's a space in between those expansions that really has to be filled and the 10-15 bucks a month contributes to that contract.

Not arguing with you or anything, just felt like that was a point worth adding to your thoughts.

Oh I totally agree with you. I'm just saying that I think Microsoft will try to leverage that mindset if they are trying to paywall the multiplayer in particular games on PC.

Which is a shame really, because it could end up undermining what these MMO developers have been striving to achieve which is that players should understand that content updates cost money and that they should be compensated. With a XBL for PC, a few idiots will always scream loudly that they shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee for MMO games, that the developers should just include that with their XBL subscription.

If I recall, it's the reason why Microsoft doesn't (or at least didn't used to) allow MMO games with extra fees to require XBL Gold.

Ozium

what blade division are you guys joining?

also how does the 32 player thing work with friends? one of the options is 'join a squadron with friends' I'd guess if robo and dogg are already playing and connected and I just pick one of you I'd be connected to both?

also normally the 32 man squads are based on your division (as you are all trying to help out that division to earn points) but if you play with friends then you are in whatever division they are in...

and to do the co-op monster hunt missions you pick from ppl in your 32 player squad after you complete the field objectives, but I'm not sure if the co-op things are unlocked right away

X

I've had these for some time now. enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Caveman Craig -- MB-BBB690F7DEC10ABC - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 3 entrants total.
Swords & Crossbones: An Epic Pirate Story -- MB-2D5EC9510A4B1E8B - Taken by darkchewie. 2 entrants total.
Insurgency -- MB-4A557F4BE4ED3C75 - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.
OASE Other Age Second Encounter -- MB-5E9F3285F6DD7D40 - Taken by Belgarion. 3 entrants total.
Men of War: Assault Squad GOTY -- MB-9CFDFB176F6BE880 - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.
SWR JST DX Selective Memory Erase Effect -- MB-E3A8C3A6C7A2B592 - Taken by Eila. 6 entrants total.

t1449080910z1.png

“And then you have the ability to effectively now start to get Xbox live in all these games that you are using, whether it’d be Solitaire or Minecraft and now what we see is, we have almost the same number of Xbox live monthly active on Windows as we do on the console.”

I laughed at the thought of Solitaire requiring some GFWL equivalent. A million Nana's the world over cried out because they were unable to log-in to Solitaire and are now trapped in a good ol' GFWL update loop.

How is this not going to turn out exactly like the last attempt to make a Windows PC gaming platform that requires a subscription service? How is this not going to fall flat on its face again? Hololens? What? I'm at a loss here. Minecraft? Minecraft is the closest thing--read: only--Microsoft has that could be called a "killer app" on the PC platform since they cratered out their PC business years ago. Does Microsoft actively want to turn a large portion of, if not the entire, Minecraft userbase against them? It would be hilarious if they bought Minecraft towards the end of its popularity and just ran it into the ground with what they're about to do next.

There's more competition in this space now than when Microsoft first launched the original GFWL. You don't need a subscription for Battle.net, Steam, Origin, uPlay or GoG. There are games on those platforms that can require a subscription, but all of those platforms are free to use. Not only is there more competition in this space, GFWL had a well-earned reputation for basically being malware. Pirates had better gaming experiences than legitimate paying customers with GFWL saddled titles. Microsoft did nothing with the platform and it was out for nearly a decade. They marketed three brand re-launches, but did nothing substantive to improve the platform or end user experience.

I wonder if they're going to attempt to do something horrendously stupid with Dirext12 exclusivity. I mean beyond restricting it to Windows 10, something to do with GFWL2.0. Or that walled garden everyone was afraid of two or three years back rears its head now that so many have upgraded to the "free" version of Windows 10.

you want to bully jaw? this is how its done:

400px-SSBU_DLC_Roster.jpg

hey jaw wheres snake? oh thats right, he's not in smash 4 and never will be, BITCH!
ALL HAIL THE GOD KING, MEWTWO!!

thats how its done.

I do hope snake returns to smash tho

jshackles

I laughed at the thought of Solitaire requiring some GFWL equivalent. A million Nana's the world over cried out because they were unable to log-in to Solitaire and are now trapped in a good ol' GFWL update loop.

Have you played Solitaire in Windows 10? It has ads that display on the screen in the menus and while you're playing. It has card deck designs you can buy as DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom