• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
The anime studio mentioned in the 1.9M stretch goal for Indivisible is probably for Trigger (ex-Gainax staff, did FLCL, Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, and Little Witch Academia) or Bones.

4ZBeti2.png

Happy birthday!

tales of the borderlands made me feel like i was in the kitchen when onions were being diced by the end of the last episode. what a refreshing game that was to play, from the folks at telltale of all places.

Also, playing the witcher 3 for the first time and while it has taken quite a bit of time to ramp up, it's finally starting to get good. TW2 seemed to start off with a bang in comparison, though that might be partly due to the fact that it's pacing was brisk given its 25 hour campaign length.

also hello. longtime listener.

Parsnip

Been playing a bunch more Talos Principle.

I enjoy the environment puzzles, but absolutely loathe the sigil puzzles. I'm actually just looking the solutions to those online.
I also don't particularly enjoy the "thread the needle" type puzzles. Those feel like they belong in a different game.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Last Baron, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Europa Universalis IV Evangelical Majors Unit Pack -- MB-3000985BAF951778 - Taken by Spirited. 2 entrants total.

t1449076651z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
Been playing a bunch more Talos Principle.

I enjoy the environment puzzles, but absolutely loathe the sigil puzzles. I'm actually just looking the solutions to those online.
I also don't particularly enjoy the "thread the needle" type puzzles. Those feel like they belong in a different game.

i love the sigil puzzles, so relaxing for me heh (might have to do cos they're kind of similar to the game i'm making lol)

i don't mind the laser beam puzzles, i just don't like how sometimes it's a matter of finding the right angle over many whatevertheyrecalleds cos that's just tedious.

the puzzles i really don't like are the bomb puzzles. now that those don't feel like they belong in a puzzle game

why is there dying in a puzzle game

whyyyyyyy

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Just Cause 3 dev already has two new 'action-packed' sandbox games in development

Could one of them be Just Cause 4?

Just Cause 3 developer Avalanche Studios is already hard at work on two new "action-packed sandbox games", founder Christofer Sundberg has revealed.

Sundberg highlighted the unannounced games in a tweet posted earlier this afternoon, saying: "Yesterday we launched #JustCause3. Want to join our team to help us create two new action-packed sandbox games? avalanchestudios.com/careers/"

A quick look on Avalanche's careers page reveals that its Stockholm studio is currently hiring for a 3D Artist to work on an "exciting and unique high-profile unannounced title", with other job ads pointing towards at least one of the games being an open world title.

Meanwhile, the firm's New York studio is currently seeking a Senior Character Artist to "create and develop realistic and believable character art for AAA video game title for PS4, Xbox1, and PC platforms", and a Tools Programmer to help deliver a "AAA next gen vehicle experience".

"Our vision is focused on player satisfaction and on innovation," reads the ad, "our plan is to deliver a stunning and diverse range of vehicles, in terms of handling, physics simulation and destruction rendition,"

Just Cause 3, which arrived on PS4, Xbox One and PC yesterday, was developed by Avalanche's New York studio, with September's Mad Max led by its Stockholm studio.

Avalanche has yet to formally announce any of its future projects beyond its collaboration with Square Enix on Final Fantasy XV, and three new DLC packs for Just Cause 3.

Knurek

Anyone else using Win 10 here... Do you have the system constantly asking you which program to use to open filetypes? Even when you explicitly set it to a single program weeks before?

Either I'm losing my memory, or the bloody thing keeps reverting my decisions to use, you know, good programs and instead tries to sneakily set the system to use Edge, Outlook, Image Viewer or whatever else MS deems necessary...

Copons

Because 'surprise, surprise' cutscenes in Wolf TNO were prerendered. I mean the giveaway first is the framerate drop, secondaly GPU usage goes to nothing, third there's Blink trademarks in the credits and 4th there's a folder for 3.5-4gbs of them :p

But yeah you've got a 780 right? Ran great for me (well using one card) bar screen space reflections which would be a hit that usually caused things to lock up (idTech5 and it's insistence of running at 60fps and all that). The Old Blood on the other hand was a bit more demanding, I guess in part of dropping PS360 versions.

Yeah, I thought they were prerendered (and quite finely, I'd say - at least they're prerendered at ultra, and not at like medium-low like the Alan Wake ones...), but at the same time, how can it be that a plain and simple video gets that kind of drop? It's the loading/buffering? They should have preloaded them a bit instead of throwing them instantly as is...

Anyway, yes I've a single 780. As for now I didn't encounter any issues at all, except in the plane at the very beginning, the shattered windows cracks textures would almost disappear if looked from a certain angle, but I guess that was some kind of working-as-intended reflection effect.

Parsnip

i love the sigil puzzles, so relaxing for me heh (might have to do cos they're kind of similar to the game i'm making lol)

i don't mind the laser beam puzzles, i just don't like how sometimes it's a matter of finding the right angle over many whatevertheyrecalleds cos that's just tedious.

the puzzles i really don't like are the bomb puzzles. now that those don't feel like they belong in a puzzle game

why is there dying in a puzzle game

whyyyyyyy

That's what I mean by thread the needle. Anything where you have to jam a mine so that it creates a small hole in the pattern and you have to carefully walk through there.

Anyone else using Win 10 here... Do you have the system constantly asking you which program to use to open filetypes? Even when you explicitly set it to a single program weeks before?

Either I'm losing my memory, or the bloody thing keeps reverting my decisions to use, you know, good programs and instead tries to sneakily set the system to use Edge, Outlook, Image Viewer or whatever else MS deems necessary...

i dont think i had this prompt even after first upgrading

Dr Dogg

Yeah, I thought they were prerendered (and quite finely, I'd say - at least they're prerendered at ultra, and not at like medium-low like the Alan Wake ones...), but at the same time, how can it be that a plain and simple video gets that kind of drop? It's the loading/buffering? They should have preloaded them a bit instead of throwing them instantly as is...

Anyway, yes I've a single 780. As for now I didn't encounter any issues at all, except in the plane at the very beginning, the shattered windows cracks textures would almost disappear if looked from a certain angle, but I guess that was some kind of working-as-intended reflection effect.

They're probably there to mask loading as they do appear before and after levels so that weird pause we both encountered about 2 or 3 seconds in could be a result of the games swaping stuff around. If you look at the framerate sometimes on loading screens of other games you'll notice they sometimes never stay solid and that's just a screen with some flashly little symbol in the corner.

I remember reading here back in the day that there was one setting in the witcher 3 that I should tone down on my 770. Was that grass density or foliage draw distance? I'm getting about 30 fps with all settings max and no hairworks on but a few more frames might make battles more tolerable.

I remember reading here back in the day that there was one setting in the witcher 3 that I should tone down on my 770. Was that grass density or foliage draw distance? I'm getting about 30 fps with all settings max and no hairworks on but a few more frames might make battles more tolerable.

Foilage Visibility

Copons

They're probably there to mask loading as they do appear before and after levels so that weird pause we both encountered about 2 or 3 seconds in could be a result of the games swaping stuff around. If you look at the framerate sometimes on loading screens of other games you'll notice they sometimes never stay solid and that's just a screen with some flashly little symbol in the corner.

That would make sense.
Even tho I don't remember any drops in Max Payne 3 loading cutscenes, so let's just blame Bethesda as usual and call it a day!

Dr Dogg

Why not work on....*gasp*....fixing Assassins Cause 3?

Hahaha oh come on not every one that works at their two studios works in engineering or support. Nothing wrong with the planing, story, concept artists and such moving on to something else. Now whether there are those clamouring for more of JC's jankiness after 3 is a completely different discussion. I've still got Mad Max installed but I get bored after an hour every time I try to press on with it but I'm just not feeling it.

That would make sense.
Even tho I don't remember any drops in Max Payne 3 loading cutscenes, so let's just blame Bethesda as usual and call it a day!

Hahaha well at least Wolf TNO was saved from the majority of Bethesda jank that their games suffer from.

Foilage Visibility

alright, I'll try it when i get home. Maybe itll make fighting Water Hags less of a pain. Thanks!

i think i had lowered foliage distance and the number of npcs in background to like medium and everything else ultra (minus hair stuff which was off) and pretty much got me to consistent 60 fps

I'll see where foliage leaves me. I don't mind 30ish frames but i was definitely getting dips below 30 at times. i was just looking for the most taxing thing to remove that I wouldn't really notice so ill try foliage before changing anything else. Noted though. Thanks!!

i think i had lowered foliage distance and the number of npcs in background to like medium and everything else ultra (minus hair stuff which was off) and pretty much got me to consistent 60 fps

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Dr Dogg

You know I've got so many games on the go and in progress of playing that I feel like I'm in a cake shop scoffing on every cake they have to offer but only taking a small bite out of each one and sully the taste and experience of each. I also feel a little sick and that I don't want to see anymore cakes for about a month.

GaussTek

I'm still waiting for a PC version of Midtown Madness 3. Gotta have some hope...

Oh damn yes! Literally the only Xbox title I wanted. Shame it even wasn't on the Xbox 360 BC list ;_;

And btw, Microsoft should also fix Midtown Madness 1 and 2 on PC, last time I tried them on Windows 8.1, they didn't work properly (an issue with old DirectX games). They should put them on GOG or something already.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't think MS will do this. They'd be lucky if they get 100 people to pay for it.

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft. I assume (perhaps falsely) that they'll tie this in as a new "benefit" for existing Xbox Live Gold members, meaning that there won't be a separate PC subscription. Just like there isn't a separate Xbox One / Xbox 360 subscription now. Let's take a look for a second at what Xbox Live Gold actually offers:
  • Multiplayer Gaming - In the PC space, gamers have come to expect this is free since we've rarely if ever paid for it. Paid multiplayer gaming on PC typically falls in the realm of MMO games, so I expect that they'll try to push this angle with that new Fable game pretty hard.
  • Free Games (Games with Gold) - The Xbox 360 is on it's way out. They probably don't want to have to double the number of Xbox One games they're giving away with this program, so it makes sense they would try to find a "replacement" for this part of the program and it seems they've found one in something most people already own: a PC.
  • Exclusive Discounts (Deals with Gold) - Everyone seemed to love the $0.10 Microsoft Store sale on games. I could see them extending their Deals with Gold discounts to the Windows Store for these types of games.
  • Parties and Party Chat - Again this is something everyone familiar with PC gaming is already doing for free, so it'll be a tough sale. However, given the prevalence of the Xbox App on Windows 10 I could see some less informed users not bothering with Teamspeak or Steam Chat in favor of doing this party chat with their Xbox buddies, especially if it's cross-platform.
While I don't agree with it's merits, I can certainly see why Microsoft would be pushing for this. I think it really boils down to them looking for a long-term solution that everyone's happy with (Xbox One + PC) before officially retiring the service for Xbox 360 users.

At the end of the day though (assuming Microsoft does what Microsoft has been doing for years) you'll end up with a large number of people who buy Xbox Live Gold because it has benefits on multiple devices they own. The people who already have Xbox Live will see the addition of PC as a new "benefit" (even though all or most of this stuff is possible on PC for free) and you'll even get some chowderheads that want to play Fable or talk with their Xbox buddies but won't want to shell out for an Xbox One and will sign up. The rest of us will go on laughing at them, just like we've been doing for years anyway.

Multiplayer Gaming - In the PC space, gamers have come to expect this is free since we've rarely if ever paid for it. Paid multiplayer gaming on PC typically falls in the realm of MMO games, so I expect that they'll try to push this angle with that new Fable game pretty hard.

I still dont understand how the console gamers can eat that up when in 99% of games they use their own internet connection, since almost everything is P2P...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom