• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Followup to my earlier request of whether it was possible or not to sort my wishlist by Steam reviews. Since it isn't, here's my strategy: submit a blank search request, sort by reviews, hide all games I own, hide all games marked Not Interested, show me only games, go to page 280, go backwards through the list page by page, stop when I notice a wishlist game.

:(

Sadly Valve never bothered to make an API for retrieving stats on reviews. So the only way to make something like Enhanced Steam show that info is to have it perform an XHR request for each game, pulling the store page. Not too bad if you have 10 or less games on your wishlist, but obviously incredibly data intensive for those with 100+ items. Or in your case, 358.

rtcn63

DP is one of those games that's probably better to watch someone else play than play yourself. I made it to the home stretch, but just wasn't having much fun. If you do plan on starting it, there's an item that's easy miss (in that if you didn't look it up beforehand, you wouldn't know it existed) that lets you fast travel... (driving in the game is horrible.)

Knurek

Sadly Valve never bothered to make an API for retrieving stats on reviews. So the only way to make something like Enhanced Steam show that info is to have it perform an XHR request for each game, pulling the store page. Not too bad if you have 10 or less games on your wishlist, but obviously incredibly data intensive for those with 100+ items. Or in your case, 358.

Depressurizer can scrape game and save their review scores in an internal database, so Stump would have to do it only once.
Might be worth checking out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

probably the best solution would be to do a daily cache of every single game's review stats (since intra-daily swings are irrelevant). i assume that's what steamdb or other places who show review info do. that way it'd be no problem to make your own intermediate api

but i understand from your perspective why you're loath to invest more in stuff that requires server capacity and thus could have cost downsides long-term, especially as uptake grows

Knurek

Is it worth going for 100% completion in Shadow Complex?
I could just go for the ending or have a last go through the map for missing Passkeys or whatever.

My first playthrough of Deadly Premonition took over 60hrs. A whole lot of time was spent on peaking into people's houses and studying their behavior. Pretty fascinating stuff.

The worst PC port is still the best version of a game, DP included. Durante made it so.
Nah, Xbox 360 version is still the one you should go for, if you have that option. PC version has too many annoying bugs and glitches that breaks the immersion.

How are the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games on Steam compared to GOG? Trying to figure out where I want to get them from and don't know if there's a difference.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
probably the best solution would be to do a daily cache of every single game's review stats (since intra-daily swings are irrelevant). i assume that's what steamdb or other places who show review info do. that way it'd be no problem to make your own intermediate api

but i understand from your perspective why you're loath to invest more in stuff that requires server capacity and thus could have cost downsides long-term, especially as uptake grows

True, but it might be something I look into anyway because it's useful information that could be utilized in a lot of different ways in a lot of different places. I'm working on a few API server and client tweaks that should have a pretty significant server-side load impact that I'll hopefully be able to roll out before the sale starts. With any luck, enough people will be on the new platform by then that the servers have a chance of staying alive during the winter sale.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Lately Steam's logging me out frequently from my phone (browser, not app). Just dtarted recently doing that amd it's irritating.

I think someone might be attacking Steam's site. It's been acting weird in a few ways, over this weekend developers have had difficulty uploading screens/trailers/whatever for their game pages, though Valve says they'll sort it out when back in the offices on Monday.

gelf

My first playthrough of Deadly Premonition took over 60hrs. A whole lot of time was spent on peaking into people's houses and studying their behavior. Pretty fascinating stuff.

Nah, Xbox 360 version is still the one you should go for, if you have that option. PC version has too many annoying bugs and glitches that breaks the immersion.

I wish I owned a 360 just to play Deadly Premonition. I've wasted too many fruitless hours of my life trying to get the PC version in any fit state to play. Nothing has worked.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also, having played the 360, PS3, and PC versions of Deadly Premonition, PC is the best.

The 360 version is the most stable, but it doesn't have the stuff added to the director's cut. PC version has some issues, but I most are fairly easy to work-around/documented, maybe I was just lucky and didn't run into much, but I did enjoy the additions, being able to play at higher frame rates, matched with some prettier (yes, PRETTIER) graphics and mods. Plus all the PS3's DLC stuff (mainly cosmetic stuff) is included for free.

PS3 version is by far the worst, it even crashes sometimes and has one of the most all-over-the-place frame rates I have ever seen, ranging from 5 fps to 60 fps. It's like a frame rate rollercoaster.

I think someone might be attacking Steam's site. It's been acting weird in a few ways, over this weekend developers have had difficulty uploading screens/trailers/whatever for their game pages, though Valve says they'll sort it out when back in the offices on Monday.

Wouldn't shock me if it's someone or someones who are doing it "for laughs" since they know the Steam Winter Sale is coming up shortly.

If they are, please make price mistakes happen. :V

xGreg

Some spares. Enjoy it!

ModBot said:
Instructions for xGreg:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (xGreg, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gorky 17 -- MB-A32353DA611357AB - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
Hitman: Absolution -- MB-02B6EB751237C597 - Taken by Bayonetta. 5 entrants total.
Alien Breed: Impact -- MB-0303A8051357828E - Taken by ThirtyFour. 1 entrants total.
Cortex Command -- MB-ECDE20031E754043 - Taken by ExoSoul. 6 entrants total.
Avadon: The Black Fortress -- MB-1FC8DF43C81675DB - Taken by TetraxShards. 3 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Gorky 17 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Avadon: The Black Fortress was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1450648614z1.png

PD. I'm not 100% sure about Cortex Command Key :/

Kuroyume

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Magical Brickout -- MB-839651F24ACE4037
Coffin Dodgers -- MB-90733FD76CB802C3 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 3 entrants total.
Ruzh Delta Z -- MB-5D817A10AF34B652
Hypt -- MB-99686944E118342C - Taken by Dusk Golem. 1 entrants total.
Escape from Puzzlegate -- MB-19EA01F34106212E - Taken by xGreg. 1 entrants total.
BloodRayne 2 -- MB-977188E94B15E6A4 - Taken by Anteater. 2 entrants total.
Super 3-D Noah's Ark -- MB-D3CD073A5040C803 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 1 entrants total.
Fine Sweeper -- MB-95F4EC00FBE7078C - Taken by Shalashaska. 1 entrants total.
Advent Rising -- MB-EC6A6F5DE4CC0543 - Taken by Cyldman. 3 entrants total.
Grimoire: Manastorm -- MB-FCA16954C0C1CF46 - Taken by Tesseract. 1 entrants total.
Match 3 Revolution -- MB-E89A41A4B7A389F5 - Taken by WinterDemons. 1 entrants total.
Joe's Diner -- MB-F012BF73CB8CCB97 - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.

t1450639014z1.png

rk0rx2adgasdasgsadasaxprfn.gif

Cortex Command is such a bummer. It could've been a lot of fun if it only had an intelligible UI, since currently it uses Radial Menus For Everything™ and the World's Worst Hotkeys™. Aside from that, the absolutely terrible performance, and janky gameplay it really could've been something. And the janky gameplay is kinda charming in it's own way.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So I've idled ~200 games over the last month or so sorted by card value (high to low) and am now on the last one.

The winner in category "shittiest cards in robo's not yet idled library" is: Starbound!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

VISCERA CLEANUP DETAIL: SANTA'S RAMPAGE -- MB-73CEBB1D759FA979 - Taken by Sober
Coffin Dodgers -- MB-FC3A8666D79751B4 - Taken by Alien8

gelf

Also, having played the 360, PS3, and PC versions of Deadly Premonition, PC is the best.

The 360 version is the most stable, but it doesn't have the stuff added to the director's cut. PC version has some issues, but I most are fairly easy to work-around/documented, maybe I was just lucky and didn't run into much, but I did enjoy the additions, being able to play at higher frame rates, matched with some prettier (yes, PRETTIER) graphics and mods. Plus all the PS3's DLC stuff (mainly cosmetic stuff) is included for free.

PS3 version is by far the worst, it even crashes sometimes and has one of the most all-over-the-place frame rates I have ever seen, ranging from 5 fps to 60 fps. It's like a frame rate rollercoaster.

Sadly your experience of the PS3 version sounds just like what the PC port gave me. Its the only game where the framerate juddered so much that I literally felt ill looking at it. And I'm usually in the "30fps is fine" group of people. Only once did I get it to run with a smooth framerate, it lasted about 10 minutes and I never got it back. 360 actually being stable sounds like heaven.

Grief.exe

The first point, I believe is the sort of engagement that dies fast though.
In previous sale, if you missed a rotation, you basically missed a better sale on games that could have interested you (because in wishlist or for the good price, whatever). Now, yeah, maybe you'll miss that one game that surprisingly escaped your thorough quest to put everything that matter in your wishlist. The games that were featured when I was distracted by browsing the Origin store, will still be there tomorrow, at the same price.

And yes, this mostly applies to us loyal old-timer customers, but I guess that's pretty much the same for cards and meta games.

Regardless, whenever a game is on the front page of Steam, the sales skyrocket every single time.

And yes, this mostly applies to us loyal old-timer customers, but I guess that's pretty much the same for cards and meta games.

You hit the nail on the head, we represent a small minority of Steam users. Place an item on the front page of Steam, and consumer knowledge will go up along with revenue.

Rotate the featured sales every 12 hours to continue consumer engagement, no matter how arbitrary that may seem for long-time users.

Sober

Thanks for the Xmas themed cleanup job, anonymous

Regardless, whenever a game is on the front page of Steam, the sales skyrocket every single time.

You hit the nail on the head, we represent a small minority of Steam users. Place an item on the front page of Steam, and consumer knowledge will go up along with revenue.

Rotate the featured sales every 12 hours to continue consumer engagement, no matter how arbitrary that may seem for long-time users.
Yeah, 12 hours seems better but they should be putting at least 40 or 50 things up there, not just 18 or 25 or whatever they usually do. Also I'm not too sure since I don't really use the recommendation system but it usually repeats like crazy even early on.

Grief.exe

Gone Home has some excellent backgrounds. The above is the one I'm currently using.

44ul3Jj.jpg

I'm going to play through Gone Home right now to earn this background.

inb4 not being a game, I hope GAF doesn't subscribe to that rhetoric.

Thanks for the Xmas themed cleanup job, anonymous

Yeah, 12 hours seems better but they should be putting at least 40 or 50 things up there, not just 18 or 25 or whatever they usually do. Also I'm not too sure since I don't really use the recommendation system but it usually repeats like crazy even early on.

There's probably a break-even point where the human brain loses interest or comprehension after a certain number.

I'm sure Valve is aware of it.

IE think those sales where they just overload the page with a list of hundreds of items. I think the Halloween sale this year was like that.

I was kinda indifferent to Gone Home until I actually played it.

It's really good, far better than I ever would've guessed. Definitely the most legitimate take on storytelling in a passive environment that I've ever seen. (i.e. GOAT Walking Simulator) Both it and Analogue: A Hate Story blew away my expectations in spite of me being indifferent to them at the start.

So, yeah, it's true: even indie games can be good. Life Gaming is strange like that.

Sober

There's probably a break-even point where the human brain loses interest or comprehension after a certain number.

I'm sure Valve is aware of it.

IE think those sales where they just overload the page with a list of hundreds of items. I think the Halloween sale this year was like that.
I feel like they should up the visibility of your wishlist/friends wishlist items during big sale events though. I dunno, just tossing ideas out there, especially since the wishlist button is a tiny thing in the top corner always.

Phinor

Ahh, good old PSN. This is console gaming at it's best. Bought a cheap copy of Destiny Taken King. 18.813GB patch to start the core Destiny experience (that's just a patch, not the expansion pass/Taken King). Download speed on my 100Mbit connection is currently around 50-150kb/s. This download will only take 57 more hours.

Last time I had issues with Steam download speeds was around 4-5 years ago. Last time I had good download speeds on PSN? I don't think that has happened yet.

Consoles are such a technical mess and you can't do anything about it.

Yakkue

Has anyone here played “D4 - Dress-up, Drink, Dine and Deduct” before? I just finished it a couple of days ago.

RZvZKFn.png

It’s an incredibly weird and funny game. The characters and the atmosphere reminded me a lot of Deadly Premonition. I can only heartily recommend it, and I hope the second season will come sometime as well.

tmarg

I actually didn't like Gone Home, it leans on finding journals and letters far too heavily. I like what they were trying to do, but they didn't execute very well, and frankly at a certain point it feels like they just gave up and weren't even trying any more.

zkylon

zkylewd

gone home is great and is probably one of the most "game-y" walking simulators you can find, in that since it was developed by former 2k marin designers it has a very bioshock-y style of level design in how it drives your attention and rewards exploration with environmental storytelling and such

i'm not a big fan of the genre but i love gone home for that reason, other games like dear esther were massive meh's for me because i felt there was nothing to be gained from playing it myself, it was so uninteractive and slow and boring. gone home lets you browse through letters and magazines and books, to listen to tapes and look for clues and secrets, and explore and figure it out at your own pace

I was kinda indifferent to Gone Home until I actually played it.

It's really good, far better than I ever would've guessed. Definitely the most legitimate take on storytelling in a passive environment that I've ever seen. (i.e. GOAT Walking Simulator) Both it and Analogue: A Hate Story blew away my expectations in spite of me being indifferent to them at the start.

So, yeah, it's true: even indie games can be good. Life Gaming is strange like that.
how can you be indifferent to analogue after all the work i've done

damn it

Maniac

Banned
Thank you, AND TOOK ADVICE.

Does anyone have any preference for any of the three below capsule images, I'd appreciate feedback.

1:
tumblr_nznw60GrxI1se6ntfo3_250.png

2:
tumblr_nznwh6g84A1se6ntfo1_250.png

3:
tumblr_nznw60GrxI1se6ntfo2_250.png
I personally prefer 1 and 3, leaning towards 1 the most. I'd say that you should either change the font used, or make the name stand out more than it does, right now it just fades in with the rest of the image because of how saturated with (a) red (haze, kappa) it is.

Jawmuncher

Has anyone here played “D4 - Dress-up, Drink, Dine and Deduct” before? I just finished it a couple of days ago.

RZvZKFn.png

It’s an incredibly weird and funny game. The characters and the atmosphere reminded me a lot of Deadly Premonition. I can only heartily recommend it, and I hope the second season will come sometime as well.

There's a reason for that. They're from the same creator after all.

-----

I've said before why I dislike Gone Home. I just didn't fine the story and exploration very interesting. Especially due to a pretty dumb circumstance in its ending.
That anyone who knows anything about how getting into the army works called BS on.
Still interested in Tacoma though. I think a sci-fi game that tries to be more fictional will work better with that team.

I can see why others liked the exploration and clue gathering though. But still I personally saw it as a decent attempt from a new studios first game, but nothing all that special after all was said and done.

how can you be indifferent to analogue after all the work i've done

damn it
Indifferent at the beginning. That first half-hour was rough, OK?

I really fell into it after I decided to go back, though, and ended up getting every ending.

Still thinking about launching Hate Plus to this very day, months later...

There's a reason for that. They're from the same creator after all.

You mean Forrest Kaysen being in both games isn't some weird kind of copyright infringement?

:p
(emoticons are the devil but... sometimes unavoidable.)

Oho? Hope dipshits are not gonna force me to make new passwords etc.

[]http://i.imgur.com/RZvZKFn.png[/img]

Long time no see. Glad you got your access again but it's weird you got "juniored".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom