• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I think the humble bundle monthly model is pretty dumb. Apparently this is the last chance to get the December games? Without knowing not even one game from it. The first bundle at least let your instant access game come from the upcoming bundke. Now it's even more of a leap of faith.

Dr Dogg

yeah, but I didn't install it then, I just registered it to my MS account, as they call it.

What do you mean registered to your Microsoft Account? What you had to do was upgrade the machine from 7, 8 or 8.1 to Windows 10 and in that process you would grant that machine rights to a Windows 10 licence. This is then bound to the hardware and identified by your motherboards manufacturer, model and serial number and stored to Microsoft's activation servers as has been done for donkeys years. Also as a new step activation and licence rights details are added to your Microsoft account if you use one because you never get a licence key for Windows 10. The licence key you have previously is a 7, 8 or 8.1 key and will throw up an error every time so the only way Windows 10 can be activated is if it's been upgraded on that particular hardware.

If you haven't gone through that stage yet go download what ever copy of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 you had previously and then upgrade that to 10 (trust me I had to do this 4 times to get my Surface Pro to even upgrade). Once you've had Windows 10 running connected to the internet you can clean install that hardware as many times as you like from what ever source of image but you need to go through the upgrade procedure from a previous OS to 10 first.

Jawmuncher

I have a question, I was thinking of using all my steam credits and paying the rest to pre-order sfv. I want to know if I could get a refund by the time it comes out? Or just wait till it comes out? Just in case if the game doesn't run on my laptop. I didn't get the chance to try out the beta on my laptop.

Dunno if it was said but I think it's still possible to try the beta.

W10 version (and license) should be tied to the motherboard and/or the CPU.
Just changing drives (or other "minor" hardware components) doesn't do anything.

I know, but the license is for a specific w10 version ( home or pro ), if you install the wrong version it won't activate.

Ban Puncher

Day ten of no internet.

LJ6dNeT.gif

Had a missed call from the telephone company this afternoon. Remember how they said they would have my line fixed by the 7th? Now they are saying the 14th. They also said they will call back tomorrow morning...

tumblr_nw2rifC85Z1tddn6to1_500.gif

Arthea

What do you mean registered to your Microsoft Account? What you had to do was upgrade the machine from 7, 8 or 8.1 to Windows 10 and in that process you would grant that machine rights to a Windows 10 licence. This is then bound to the hardware and identified by your motherboards manufacturer, model and serial number and stored to Microsoft's activation servers as has been done for donkeys years. Also as a new step activation and licence rights details are added to your Microsoft account if you use one because you never get a licence key for Windows 10. The licence key you have previously is a 7, 8 or 8.1 key and will throw up an error every time so the only way Windows 10 can be activated is if it's been upgraded on that particular hardware.

If you haven't gone through that stage yet go download what ever copy of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 you had previously and then upgrade that to 10 (trust me I had to do this 4 times to get my Surface Pro to even upgrade). Once you've had Windows 10 running connected to the internet you can clean install that hardware as many times as you like from what ever source of image but you need to go through the upgrade procedure from a previous OS to 10 first.
exactly as I said, they offered me to register it to my account, I did. What's not to understand? I mean it went like this "win 10 update pops up as available, register for it now", I did, got confirmation then I was planning to wait till July of the next year to actually upgrade, but my hd died and now I'm tempted to do clean install right away. That's totally reasonable, what you are saying (not you actually, but MS, you only repeating) isn't reasonable at all, not to mention WHY?!

it really doesn't strike you as most awful idea ever, that I have to install other OS to get a new OS? like really?

Knurek

I think the humble bundle monthly model is pretty dumb. Apparently this is the last chance to get the December games? Without knowing not even one game from it. The first bundle at least let your instant access game come from the upcoming bundke. Now it's even more of a leap of faith.

Towerfall is a game from December's bundle.
So you have one known game, same as with the November one (Grimrock 2 IIRC).

MILAMBER ALERT

Loving the Engrish in store description.
Reads like something from original Muv-Luv Alternative release...

Dr Dogg

exactly as I said, they offered me to register it to my account, I did. What's not to understand? I mean it went like this "win 10 update pops up as available, register for it now", I did, got confirmation then I was planning to wait till July of the next year to actually upgrade, but my hd died and now I'm tempted to do clean install right away. That's totally reasonable, what you are saying (not you actually, but MS, you only repeating) isn't reasonable at all, not to mention WHY?!

it really doesn't strike you as most awful idea ever, that I have to install other OS to get a new OS? like really?

It's quite simple, if you haven't done the upgrade procedure than no you don't have rights to Windows 10. If you've never upgraded to Windows 10 then your hardware ID is not stored and it won't activate. All you did was register Windows update to download the files but you haven't activated it. You're going to need to get a copy of 7, 8 or 8.1 that you had previously, install that and then upgrade to 10 from that. And yes as I said I was pulling teeth for days having to do the same bloody thing!

Arthea

It's quite simple, if you haven't done the upgrade procedure than no you don't have rights to Windows 10. If you've never upgraded to Windows 10 then your hardware ID is not stored and it won't activate. All you did was register Windows update to download the files but you haven't activated it. You're going to need to get a copy of 7, 8 or 8.1 that you had previously, install that and then upgrade to 10 from that.
lemme ask again
and you think that's OK? It's an efficient and sane way to do things.
that was rhetorical question, btw

hard way it is, thanks MS yet again

lemme ask again
and you think that's OK? It's efficient and sane way to do things.

In their defense they are giving it to you for free... free and easy would be asking too much.

Jawmuncher

It's a bonus.
Same as Grimrock 2 was a bonus for November buyers, available in October.

Unless I'm mistaken

GAF mistaken. It's a bonus game true, but they're both part of the November bundle. Tower fall isn't a part of the December bundle, outside of being the piece to try and entice people to pay up front for it. Which is what I am getting at. Find it dumb that enticing customers for the next bundle is nothing more than offering an old game from the prior bundle. No hints or anything.

Dr Dogg

lemme ask again
and you think that's OK? It's an efficient and sane way to do things.

Well in practice it seems quite effortless, providing there aren't any issues. Which on launch day there were bloody loads. For the most part people were upgrading fine but when you have so many different configurations of PCs, some run and maintained by idiots, some infested with all sorts of malware and viruses and other drivers managed by third party applications it was inevitable that shit was going to hit the fan. Issue I had was incompatible drivers which caused the upgrade to cancel at around 80% every single time I tried to upgrade either via Windows Update, the Media Creation Tool or via a USB loaded ISO and the error logs didn't identify which one it was that was conflicting in the upgrade process. Took me a while to realise it was my Wifi drivers and once I disabled them as hardware the upgrade took no problems. This is on Microsoft manufactured hardware mind so you'd think they'd have accounted for that!

Arthea

In their defense they are giving it to you for free... free and easy would be asking too much.

I didn't ask for this, I would pay for ability not to deal with crap like this and marketing via OS like right this instant.
But even if I was to pay, I still would get exactly the same treatment, no wonder they are giving it for free, no outrage because it's free. In the end it will cost us more as I said when they announced it's free.

OK, let's get back to steam, games and fun.
I'm done complaining for now, that's too tiresome

I was being sarcastic :p

yeah, sorry for ignoring that, I was too busy complaining at that point

Tizoc

Reposting for new page~

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Adventures of Pip -- MB-701555E520DB0696 - Taken by maty. 32 entrants total.
Grandia II -- MB-25D761C265FDC36F - Taken by CheesecakeRecipe. 84 entrants total.
Binary Domain -- MB-02950093867DBC19 - Taken by gurm3n. 18 entrants total.
Kero Blast -- MB-4A753763BBA2CED4 - Taken by Nzyme32. 46 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Dragon Quest Heroes -- MB-C39883C1DC70E83F - Taken by Messiah. 129 entrants total.
Ikaruga -- MB-1EE300FF7E883AB6 - Taken by AsylumX. 45 entrants total.
Freedom Planet -- MB-C072A0E740E41EFD - Taken by AcademicSaucer. 4 entrants total.
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara -- MB-CE724EFB3A0854F1 - Taken by pantsattack. 25 entrants total.

t1448998284z1.png

Monooboe

New subscribers get Towerfall though. So they are giving away one extra game every month to new subcribers only, wait that pretty genius actually, since the longer one subcribes the value of that one game gets diminished if one thinks what the overall cost of the games is(how many games divided but total amount payed) so humblebundle isn't really loosing anything but gains goodwill.

Oh, mind wandered, anyway, I am still going to subscribe, really don't know why.o_O

Day ten of no internet.

LJ6dNeT.gif

Had a missed call from the telephone company this afternoon. Remember how they said they would have my line fixed by the 7th? Now they are saying the 14th. They also said they will call back tomorrow morning...

tumblr_nw2rifC85Z1tddn6to1_500.gif

I survived a month with no internet. Get on my level.

I started playing Wolfenstein The Old Blood, I loved The New Order, but the beginning of The Old Blood is much superior, I didn't like the beginning of The New Order but I'm enjoying this from minute one.

I didn't ask for this, I would pay for ability not to deal with crap like this and marketing via OS like right this instant.
But even if I was to pay, I still would get exactly the same treatment, no wonder they are giving it for free, no outrage because it's free. In the end it will cost us more as I said when they announced it's free.

OK, let's get back to steam, games and fun.
I'm done complaining for now, that's too tiresome

I was being sarcastic :p

Uzzy

Something about the name Rico Rodriguez rubs me the wrong way.

Juan 'Johnny' Rico is the best Rico anyway.

I advise anyone playing Korra to do a lot of drugs or drink a lot while playing in hopes that you forget about it and keep your love of platinum intact

Korra is a better game than Bayonetta 2 because Korra doesn't require an otherwise useless £200+ perhiperal to play.

Copons

I know, but the license is for a specific w10 version ( home or pro ), if you install the wrong version it won't activate.

Ah yes of course, I may have misunderstood what you were saying then. I blame my office internet loading two bytes per minute, making reading the thread basically impossible. :'(

Annubis

mobile waifus aren't real like real waifus

Mobile waifus are like rent a bride.
You don't want to go too deep because you know she'll shut down on you one day out of the blue.

Shit like that happened to me and I basically called a competitor, told them they would have all of my moneys if they did better than the other jerk.
(the competitor came two days later, fixed everything and has been getting my moneys for the last 2 years)

MILAMBER ALERT

Oh man, I know what I want for my birthday!

sheaaaa

Just Cause 3 is out and I'm not even a third through AssCreed Syndicate.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is out in 3 days and Bloodborne The Old Hunters is kicking my ass.

Help I need time.

Hektor

The worst thing is, we didn't even got any hints this time. Nope, without me, especially after the for me disappointing last bundle.

Saty

Mad Max, MGS, FIFA and other remain uncracked. What's the reason for every AAA publisher not using Denuvo for everything from now on, basically eliminating piracy. I wonder how much Denuvo costs.

Steam is turning into a garbage dump.

Dumpster diving is my 2nd favorite activity after buying steam games.

I can finally combine the two!

p.s. Does anyone know when the Xmas special of Hatoful boyfriend is coming out?

I have a feeling it might show up in the first day of the Winter sale, like a lot of games have been doing lately, but I doubt I'll have time to play it xmas week.

I cant get over how BOI: Afterbirth has no discount for owners of rebirth unless the current 10% off is because I own rebirth. I know it was on sale prerelease for cheaper if you owned it but we are no longer there. Also I just realized it was a new STEAM thread....congrats!

Miff

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Antichamber -- MB-82605E0D8B568FA2 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 19 entrants total.

t1449060746z1.png

anime.gif anime.gif anime.gif

edit: thank you for obliging, Messiah :)

edit2: oh noes, what have I started

Monooboe

I actually kind of starting to like getting exp from doing actions in Ubisoft games and leveling my account.XD I would prefer Steam to be like that also.(yeah I know too easy to cheat)

I actually kind of starting to like getting exp from doing actions in Ubisoft games and leveling my account.XD I would prefer Steam to be like that also.(yeah I know too easy to cheat)

I dont mind uplay if I buy the games on steam...otherwise I forget I own them (blood dragon)

Drakhyrr

Never bought so few games in a sale. Just 5 games, 4 of them old and cheap. That means:

1) The omens were right, there were fewer "special" discounts in this sale due to the amount of time the discounts had to stay. Most games I wanted did not get a new "lowest ever" price. If I wanted to buy them at the current price, I would have done it already before the sale.

2) My backlog has caught up to Steam sales. I already have most of the games I want.

Ban Puncher

Shit like that happened to me and I basically called a competitor, told them they would have all of my moneys if they did better than the other jerk.
(the competitor came two days later, fixed everything and has been getting my moneys for the last 2 years)

Unfortunately these clowns own all the infrastructure. I am boned.

HAS MEMEGENERATOR FINALLY GONE TOO FAR???

anime.gif anime.gif anime.gif

edit: thank you for obliging, Messiah :)

DID SOMEBODY SAY ANIME JIFS???

cGB2fCe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom