• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The real question is why doesn't everybody use the dark theme? So much easier on the eyes.

Dark text on white background is easy on the eyes, and doesn't make you look like a cave troll to anyone else in the room, if you have reasonable colour temperature settings.

shockdude

Bright screens at really high color temperature is indeed bad for your eyes. Proper 6500K temperature at a low brightness is much more pleasant. My monitor is at minimum brightness and I wish it would go lower.

Light theme is great btw.

Jawmuncher

I use dark theme, stylish to force dark themes, and a website dimmer that lets me dim or invert the colors of any website.

Works so good for any late night surfing.

Coreda

I updated it -- no one I know uses dark theme so I didn't know it looked bad there.

Thx. Guess it explains why Ruruja's tag originally was like this before being updated a tad.

Bright screens at really high color temperature is indeed bad for your eyes. Proper 6500K temperature at a low brightness is much more pleasant. My monitor is at minimum brightness and I wish it would go lower.

It differs based on the display. On some displays light theme is fine when the native brightness can be lowered without affecting the contrast much, on others like my main monitor it's never comfortable even with f.lux since the brightness needs to be higher to maintain correct contrast/colors.

shockdude

It differs based on the display. On some displays light theme is fine when the native brightness can be lowered without affecting the contrast much, on others like my main monitor it's never comfortable even with f.lux since the brightness needs to be higher to maintain correct contrast/colors.
The brightness (backlight) setting shouldn't affect your contrast unless your ambient lighting is obnoxiously bright. Maybe you just need to turn up your contrast setting?
Also I hope you're using f.lux as a night mode and not as your primary method of managing a 6500K color temperature, lol.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I use about 4500K in the daytime (yellow-white whites), about 3000K in evening (yellow-orange whites), and about 2000K at night (orange-red whites)

Coreda

The brightness (backlight) setting shouldn't affect your contrast unless your ambient lighting is obnoxiously bright. Maybe you just need to turn up your contrast setting?

Needs a certain minimum brightness to reduce eye strain I've found, but also so detail can be clearly distinguished so I instead use a software dimmer to adjust a pseudo-brightness on the fly when needed.

Also I hope you're using f.lux as a night mode and not as your primary method of managing a 6500K color temperature, lol.

Yeah, it's just used as a night mode.

Doesn't everyone?

Only time I see them is looking at tiny out of focus holes in blinds when the sun is shining through.

bbd23

Wow Hitman is a lot more enjoyable with opportunities on minimum. nice getting little intel hints and figuring out where to go next by yourself. sapienza is massive!

shockdude

Needs a certain minimum brightness to reduce eye strain I've found, but also so detail can be clearly distinguished so I instead use a software dimmer to adjust a pseudo-brightness on the fly when needed.

Yeah, it's just used as a night mode.
That's fair.
You're sure your monitor is set to native 6500K color temperature and your contrast is set correctly? I can't imagine a monitor where brightness is set to a "comfortable" level and is at the same time uncomfortable to look at for long periods of time.
Lagom.nl helps a ton with this stuff, particularly the Contrast, Black Level, and White Saturation pages.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It looks like ModBot hit the character limit on editing on the mega-giveaway. The stuff not marked given away is probably still given away.

Edit: I removed a bunch of stuff to try to induce it to complete the edits successfully.

Coreda

Lagom.nl helps a ton with this stuff, particularly the Contrast, Black Level, and White Saturation pages.

Can distinguish all of these, but it's also a wide gamut monitor. Thing is, white themes are mostly fine but given the monitor is 1440p with a denser PPI the area of the browser and text rendering also has to be considered. With a larger browser window there is more light emanating from the screen and the text is smaller than on some other monitors, so dark themes become easier on the eyes for longer periods. I also prefer keeping GAF at 100% zoom since raster images blur when scaled.

shockdude

Can distinguish all of these, but it's also a wide gamut monitor. Thing is, white themes are mostly fine but given the monitor is 1440p with a denser PPI the area of the browser and text rendering also has to be considered. With a larger browser window there is more light emanating from the screen and the text is smaller than on some other monitors, so dark themes become easier on the eyes for longer periods. I also prefer keeping GAF at 100% zoom since raster images blur when scaled.
Ah, that makes sense. Haven't had much experience with 1440p monitors.

Though shouldn't the wide color gamut be disabled most of the time? Most things on a computer are sRGB; outputting a wider gamut than sRGB means oversaturated colors.

Coreda

Though shouldn't the wide color gamut be disabled most of the time? Most things on a computer are sRGB; outputting a wider gamut than sRGB means oversaturated colors.

For the most part it's fine. Browsers have some issues with color management though, so it can lead to things like crushed blacks. Luckily Firefox has a config option to force proper color management so colors look correct on that browser.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man Detective Grimoire was great, I would totally play a sequel... which is teased at the end and will never I guess >_>

shockdude

For the most part it's fine. Browsers have some issues with color management though, so it can lead to things like crushed blacks. Luckily Firefox has a config option to force proper color management so colors look correct on that browser.
Oh wow that's really nice. I'm a Firefox user and I've heard about that feature, but never heard an example of it actually being useful until now, lol.
Welp, carry on then.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the problem (well, "problem") with these short games is that most often than not, they are point and click adventures, or some sort of variation on the genre, and too many of those in a row, short or not, gets kinda old fast.

8 to go to 52 tho, and im actually into doing this again if only because it refocuses what my initial goal with the laptop was anyway, to play the sort of games I wouldnt play at home in the first place. Think ill go with The Begginer's Guide next, to break up the P&C train.

edit: yeah... I didnt like that, especially as a follow up to Stanley Parable which I loved. Shame.

Teggy

Shadow Tactics is hard as hell and kind of frustrating yet I keep throwing myself at it again and again. I've caught myself not managing a move for over 10 minutes, just getting spotted over and over until something works. I don't even like hard games but the lure of making an effective move is too great. And when I make a move that seems cheesy I get mad at myself. It's just weirdly compelling.

MUnited83

For you.
236870_201612170510328zkrf.png
Buy Hitman

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 16 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

The Magical Silence -- MB-D7A4C5078E09DF03 - Taken by rainking187
Star Fields -- MB-0A84B5A612CF2AC6 - Taken by Ludens
Kivi, Toilet and Shotgun -- MB-A57BD33589C44573 - Taken by bobnowhere
The Adventures of Tree -- MB-7B75C4EE00A12B2A - Taken by ThirtyFour
Runeyana -- MB-9800A4A616E56085 - Taken by user237
Apokalypsis -- MB-41429D9E4AFD8FF9 - Taken by madjoki
Phat Stacks -- MB-3371090AD3008CBD - Taken by fernandes
Mimic Arena -- MB-2C11F4F3FC1CD5EA - Taken by septicore
The Lost Valley -- MB-0FD1831E8722F7EF
Runestone Keeper -- MB-FD658D823346DB69 - Taken by dimmer
Tiny Guardians -- MB-25820B601CCBAAD4 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
The Fleets of Sol -- MB-E8D334EA0F00A1AF - Taken by Eila
Marble Duel -- MB-A8D2761DEF36129F - Taken by dot
SAMOLIOTIK plus OST -- MB-6C433C72E43DBE4F - Taken by Vuze
The Last Error -- MB-460555708C976AE1 - Taken by Hakkelus
Leviathan Starblade -- MB-52C1DA7724E087BC - Taken by septicore

Rhaknar

ooh Walking Dead Michonne should be pretty short since its only 3 episodes, and I like me some Telltale games too so I should download that.

Genki

the problem (well, "problem") with these short games is that most often than not, they are point and click adventures, or some sort of variation on the genre, and too many of those in a row, short or not, gets kinda old fast.

8 to go to 52 tho, and im actually into doing this again if only because it refocuses what my initial goal with the laptop was anyway, to play the sort of games I wouldnt play at home in the first place. Think ill go with The Begginer's Guide next, to break up the P&C train.

edit: yeah... I didnt like that, especially as a follow up to Stanley Parable which I loved. Shame.

What about the Gunman Clive games? Not to the same extent, but Kero Blaster is pretty short too.

Rhaknar

What about the Gunman Clive games? Not to the same extent, but Kero Blaster is pretty short too.

I dont own kero blaster. I did finish the 2 games from the same guys earlier in the year tho. They were so short I counted both as one.

Also nobody recommended Gunpoint which makes you all terrible.

dex3108

Question for stump and jshackles (or any other member who is familiar with this matter). Is it possible to implement Google VR View on GAF? Now that capturing 360 photos with Nvidia Ansel is possible it would be nice if we could embed those on GAF and not just post links to them. Also if it is easier Flickr and kuula both have codes for embedding.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Question for stump and jshackles (or any other member who is familiar with this matter). Is it possible to implement Google VR View on GAF? Now that capturing 360 photos with Nvidia Ansel is possible it would be nice if we could embed those on GAF and not just post links to them. Also if it is easier Flickr and kuula both have codes for embedding.

GAF hasn't even enabled native embeds for webms, so I doubt they'll do this.

You may want to check out this userscript from Coreda: https://github.com/Coreda/neogaf-html5-video and either see if you can make the changes yourself or ask him if it is something he could implement.

Edit: Or possibly try Popstar, who made this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274391 which automatically converts gifs into webms on gaf.

dex3108

GAF hasn't even enabled native embeds for webms, so I doubt they'll do this.

You may want to check out this userscript from Coreda: https://github.com/Coreda/neogaf-html5-video and either see if you can make the changes yourself or ask him if it is something he could implement.

Edit: Or possibly try Popstar, who made this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274391 which automatically converts gifs into webms on gaf.

I use YTMA! Chrome extension. And it would be nice if bigger extensions would implement embedding but to create separate one it wouldn't work. VR/360 content is still not popular as gifs/webms.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I use YTMA! Chrome extension. And it would be nice if bigger extensions would implement embedding but to create separate one it wouldn't work. VR/360 content is still not popular as gifs/webms.

A link to the flickr page would probably still suffice for most people.

An easy way to do it would be to make an extension that looks for a special tag like [vr][/vr] that a user could place a regular link to flickr in between and the script would automatically convert it to the proper embed script. Benefit: people without the extension still get a normal link and people with the extension get the embed. Negative: people would need to install the extension and type in the fake bbcode [vr].

dex3108

A link to the flickr page would probably still suffice for most people.

An easy way to do it would be to make an extension that looks for a special tag like [vr][/vr] that a user could place a regular link to flickr in between and the script would automatically convert it to the proper embed script. Benefit: people without the extension still get a normal link and people with the extension get the embed. Negative: people would need to install the extension and type in the fake bbcode [vr].

There is also an issue of what to use as base for extension. If you use Goole VR View pictures need to be as software captured them not already processed in Spheres and that is somewhat easier for users who upload them. And if extension just pulls processed Spheres from Flickr/kuula then users need to prepare those photos for some of those services (for example Flickr requires "equirectangular" tag to process uploaded image to Sphere and Facebook needs Camera info to match one of those 360 cameras).

Tizoc

EDIT: NVM, Ubi sale ends on the 27th cool. Will see if Rogue is cheaper on Steam before dropping 100 Upoints for a 20% discount code :v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom