• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coreda

An easy way to do it would be to make an extension that looks for a special tag like [vr][/vr] that a user could place a regular link to flickr in between and the script would automatically convert it to the proper embed script.

It appears any JPEG/PNG/GIF/h.264 media can be used with VR View, provided they're panoramic equirectangular projections and the correct ratios. For example this 3D pano jpeg image. So existing hosts are already compatible it seems.

If the image were embedded inline rather than linked to, using something like [url=vr] [/url] wrapped around an image would hide any additional tags and provide a straightforward selector, though if the image were 3D/stereo people without such an embedder would see two stacked images when scrolling.

dex3108

It appears any JPEG/PNG/GIF/h.264 media can be used with VR View, provided they're panoramic equirectangular projections and the correct ratios. For example this 3D pano jpeg image. So existing hosts are already compatible it seems.

If the image were embedded inline rather than linked to, using something like [url=vr] [/url] wrapped around an image would hide any additional tags and provide a straightforward selector, though if the image were 3D/stereo people without such an embedder would see two stacked images when scrolling.

So far most of the VR images are not stereo. They are only one 2:1 equirectangular JPG/PNG image and that is usually enough. Stereo support for true 3D 360 photos is nice but so far there is no need for it.

Anteater

damn it ubi, still only 50% off for those old PoP games

he-cant-keep-getting-p3p7c.gif

Ludens

Banned
Catalyst is really boring. First the plot, as I wrote yesterday, is a mess, it's rare to see something boring like this.
Second, the game needs polishment, there are still a lot of bugs around, often controls don't respond properly, leading to a death and a reload.

The open-world structure is just a waste of time, fast travel is (of course) enabled by towers you need to destroy, so another waste of time.

I'm happy I got the game by paying a month of EA Access, I would be angry if I bought it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Decimation Of Olarath -- MB-DD7E79E0E5F721A8 - Taken by Sarcasm

Game removed from Steam.

Knurek

"Watch extremely cute 3D girls dance and sing in this live performance simulator!"

why?

Best review: It's a moefication of 3D Mark, a PC benchmark checking tools. Well it's a FREE 3D Mark too.

Jawmuncher

because it's been 2 years since the last time they're at 75% on Steam lol

IRyTblc.jpg

Steam used to be cool

I told you, steam sales have been whack ever since the change when it comes to the bigger publishers.

"Oh but more games were on deeper discount than ever before"

Yeah because we now have a shit ton of games on the store front from indie devs trying that no one buys. Plus we all know a lot of them aren't worth much more than a +1

bloke

"Watch extremely cute 3D girls dance and sing in this live performance simulator!"

why?

Best review: It's a moefication of 3D Mark, a PC benchmark checking tools. Well it's a FREE 3D Mark too.

Hm, maybe they're paving the way for actual Time Leap VN steam release, also bunch of other japanese VN stuff got released this past week

Prurient

Banned
How often does Binding Of Isaac go on sale? Got an itching to get the new Afterbirth stuff and play it, however I played a ton on PS4 and don't think I can justify the almost £20 to buy it again + get the new stuff.

How often does Binding Of Isaac go on sale? Got an itching to get the new Afterbirth stuff and play it, however I played a ton on PS4 and don't think I can justify the almost £20 to buy it again + get the new stuff.

Each sale and it's never cheap.

Expect it to be barely 33% off in the winter seal.

Anteater

why?

Game doesn't even support higher res than 1080p :(

I told you, steam sales have been whack ever since the change when it comes to the bigger publishers.

Yeah because we now have a shit ton of games on the store front from indie devs trying that no one buys. Plus we all know a lot of them aren't worth much more than a +1

yeah the discounts for big publishers are more spaced out now, and 66% is the new 75%, I don't think I saw morrowind on sale for 75% in the last sale and I remember seeing it quite often before.

yep, i rarely even buy from steam anymore unless its the only place a game is available.

PaulSane

Well, for a lot of people like me who live in regions with different steam pricing, steam is basically the only choice when it comes to buying games - for example, there was a price mistake for HITMAN on Amazon where you could get the whole game for 15$ - it's still more than it costs on steam in my region. I'm not sure whether it's a good thing or not - but it definitely makes any purchase decision much easier, since a price you see on steam is almost guaranteed to be the cheapest, so the only thing you need to take into consideration is the likelyhood of deeper steam discounts in the nearest future.

Grief.exe

IRyTblc.jpg

Steam used to be cool

This is irrespective to shifts in Steam discounts. Ubisoft stopped discounting their old titles, whether it be Brothers in Arms, Prince, Rainbow Six, etc.
Had to get lucky to pick up certain games with a good discount and Prince is one of those series that has been swept under the rug.

fantomena

Ive said it before and I say it again, the excitement of Steam sales is gone and the sales are worse than before.

Actually, many times PSN Flash Sales have had better deals on games than Steam.

Phinor

This is irrespective to shifts in Steam discounts. Ubisoft stopped discounting their old titles, whether it be Brothers in Arms, Prince, Rainbow Six, etc.
Had to get lucky to pick up certain games with a good discount and Prince is one of those series that has been swept under the rug.

Not really, quick glance at isthereanydeal charts tell us that for example Prince of Persia games have been 75% off multiple times this year in multiple stores although it's not something that happens regularly outside of Christmas deals. Just not on Steam anymore, Steam is stuck at 50% at most. There are exceptions of course, Vegas games had a good deal on Steam this May etc. I'd like to put all the blame on this stupid sales format Steam has these days without any daily deals during the big sales but in the end it's the publisher who decides how big deals they offer.

If you want the best deals though, almost never look at Steam if the game is available elsewhere.

Not really, quick glance at isthereanydeal charts tell us that for example Prince of Persia games have been 75% off multiple times this year in multiple stores although it's not something that happens regularly outside of Christmas deals. Just not on Steam anymore, Steam is stuck at 50% at most. There are exceptions of course, Vegas games had a good deal on Steam this May etc. I'd like to put all the blame on this stupid sales format Steam has these days without any daily deals during the big sales but in the end it's the publisher who decides how big deals they offer.

If you want the best deals though, almost never look at Steam if the game is available elsewhere.

I only buy super cheap oddities directly from Steam these days. That or if I'm buying something with trading card money.

Everything else comes from third party sites.

Nzyme32

Ive said it before and I say it again, the excitement of Steam sales is gone and the sales are worse than before.

Actually, many times PSN Flash Sales have had better deals on games than Steam.

There are two things at work here - Valve have gone for what both benefits them & their developer partners in Steam most (ie removing daily deals / forcing customers to show up everyday for deals etc, giving more people the opertunity to buy at lower prices which ultimately got the majority of pubs / devs greater sales). Steam is bigger than ever, and the market has reacted to that since the devs / pubs are the people in sole control of how much and when or if they discount during sales in the first place.

I have yet to see "PSN Flash Sales" consistently "have better deals" vs Steam or other PC store fronts in other sales, unless you isolate a single sale where x game hasn't or isn't on sale for the same price. You can use the price trackers from so many places now for both Steam and Console to see this pretty much isn't the case year round.

Well, FYI for anybody who buys a Steam code off of Newegg: make sure you check your email address on the account, because they'll only send you the Steam code via email.

Now their account settings won't let me change my email address ("We’re sorry, changes to your account cannot be made at this time."), so I'm twiddling my thumbs, waiting for when I can escape the deadlock.

EDIT: I may have found a support agent who can help. God bless

EDIT2: Nope, can't change your email address after buying a digital code. GG Newegg.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Pixel Piracy -- MB-31A302AEB4D85F50 - Taken by ThirtyFour
Bardbarian -- MB-E0C1A25F0256CDBD - Taken by Large Professor
t1cxE6r.gif
Demonicon -- MB-4861178797EB4EB7 - Taken by Purkake4

adsf

Grief.exe

RE4 HD Project ‏@re4hdproject 2m2 minutes ago

The missing flare lens effect is back!: http://re4hd.com #re4hdproject

Cz42LbHWIAAbMzB.jpg

Not really, quick glance at isthereanydeal charts tell us that for example Prince of Persia games have been 75% off multiple times this year in multiple stores although it's not something that happens regularly outside of Christmas deals. Just not on Steam anymore, Steam is stuck at 50% at most. There are exceptions of course, Vegas games had a good deal on Steam this May etc.

This year? No. That data goes back for years.

Rainbow Six games finally went on sale after years of stagnation due to the new Rainbow Six release.

Have to go back 3-4 years to see Prince of Persia at 75% discount. This stagnation of prices for classic Ubisoft games is ubiquitous, not relegated to Steam alone.

gdpGGko.png
WNUmw5e.png

I'd like to put all the blame on this stupid sales format Steam has these days without any daily deals during the big sales but in the end it's the publisher who decides how big deals they offer.

Irrespective of daily deals, Steam has been getting worse and worse discounts since it became the market leader. For the better part of 5+ years there's consistently been better deals off of the Steam store, but Valve and developers continue to make money hand over fist on Steam alone.

You guys probably jinxed it.

Watch as next week we get the greatest Steam Winter Sale of all time.

Would be great but I'll keep expectations low. I've basically got a dollar figure in mind and I'll likely spend to it. Given one of those is going to be Total War: Warhammer, I'm thinking I won't be buying much more than that.

Nzyme32

I bought that Sierra pack even though I had most of those games as a kid. I'm weak. :(

This was the reason I bought the Humble Bundles of Sierra games - which imo was very nicely priced for all the things you get. I'm considering getting the Steam Bundle, since it discounts everything you haven't got in that collection - which for me is just the 6 games that were recently added to the pack, so it's an extra £2

IRyTblc.jpg

Steam used to be cool

Something else to keep in mind. Ubi is starting to get into the habit of removing their old games from Steam. So if you want to have those games on Steam, you might want to consider biting the bullet and buying them at the 50% discount we do get.

Lomax

2013-2014 was pretty much "peak sale and peak bundle" in terms of discounts and deals. It seemed likely at the time that was the case, but it's really clear now in retrospect.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Something else to keep in mind. Ubi is starting to get into the habit of removing their old games from Steam. So if you want to have those games on Steam, you might want to consider biting the bullet and buying them at the 50% discount we do get.

Just games with now-expired licences or dead multiplayer.

MUnited83

For you.
Just games with now-expired licences or dead multiplayer.

Not just that. Games that have gotten broken as new OSes came out also get removed. You will notice a pattern with most of the Ubi games that are removed year after year: their steam discussion forum is filling up with people having black screens, crashes, not even being able to launch the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom