• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is CSGO on the Game Awards sale? It's literally the only non-2016 game in the list.

because they added these that literally changed the game

gloves_update.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
What is Xenus 2? Pictures make it look like Far Cry. Was there a Xenus 1?

there was, it was called boiling point and it was kind of a far cry 2 thing only much much MUCH buggier

like grenades didn't explode buggy

and buildings with more than 1 floors didn't have collision

it was awesome, first game ever that let me join a marxist south american guerilla and take out the evil dictator government

Uzzy

Said it last year, and the year before that, but it's still a damn shame that what should be a celebration of excellence in the medium is co-opted to feed the endless hype cycle of future products.

I'll probably get to say it again next year too. Whee.

Said it last year, and the year before that, but it's still a damn shame that what should be a celebration of excellence in the medium is co-opted to feed the endless hype cycle of future products.

You will get 1 minute trailer, that some youtubers/websites will analyze and then you get people thinking because of that "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING IN THAT GAME!!!!111!!"

refer to NMS or early Division threads...

Ruruja

There's always the BAFTAs.

It's the price that has to be paid in order for it to exist, those awards are expensive and in order to get companies to sponsor it they need something to draw people in, if playing a few trailers gets the job done then that's cool I'm fine with it personally, it's the way it has to be unless Geoff wins the lottery or something. But I do see your point, it kind of lowers the prestige of the award when you mix it with a bunch of ads.

I saw this game just recently released and I thought "wait, isn't this game already out earlier this year?"

After a little bit of searching, it seems they're totally different games.

I wonder if I should get The Dwarves. A rtwp RPG with controller support is such a rarity.

Nzyme32

I already whined about this in the other thread - it really trivialises the awards in the first place and celebrating the actual creators / actors etc. It's a blundering mess of marketing and gamer culture that just makes it into another bullet point of "hype" that seems to be the theme of "gamers" rather than the games as any form of art.

I mean, I'm all for finding out about new games and what they are about, but attaching it to awards shows or ridiculously far in advance of the actual game becomes a nuisance along with the idiotic feral people that then seclude themselves over something (more so with the good old platform "exclusives" for little fanboy wars) then get hilariously upset and create drama when the game isn't what they dreamt up or what was marketed but not actually played / experienced to properly judge.

but yeah, rants

Speaking of Dwarves, Divinity: Original Sin 2 has a beefy new update that, among other things, polished Dwarven attack animations so they actually connect now. Mostly balance and iteration stuff.

There's no Undead Origin yet or new act or anything, it's mostly iteration and polishing. The full release still seems months away. But they're keen to take in any feedback and this patch reflects that.
Beta was dull as fuck

I only remember Steep because of how unbelievably brutal the crashes were during its premiere gameplay a while back.

...And also because SalsaShark mentioned it yesterday.

data

I saw this game just recently released and I thought "wait, isn't this game already out earlier this year?"

After a little bit of searching, it seems they're totally different games.

I wonder if I should get The Dwarves. A rtwp RPG with controller support is such a rarity.
I'm pretty sure that's Zoltan from TW in the video for The Dwarves

Ozium

Steep is garbage. I played the alpha, crashes looked cool but you couldn't even grind a rail while snowboarding.

wtf

chronomac

Extra:

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (chronomac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Puzzles Under the Hill -- MB-DFE91541F0A63799 - Taken by voodooray

gar3

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Z.A.R. -- MB-152BB621FFA06883 - Taken by Purkake4

Corpekata

Banned
The Dwarves looks really interesting, but yeah, coming out at a bad time for 40 bucks. I'd be all over it in a different month.

I already whined about this in the other thread - it really trivialises the awards in the first place and celebrating the actual creators / actors etc. It's a blundering mess of marketing and gamer culture that just makes it into another bullet point of "hype" that seems to be the theme of "gamers" rather than the games as any form of art.

I mean, I'm all for finding out about new games and what they are about, but attaching it to awards shows or ridiculously far in advance of the actual game becomes a nuisance along with the idiotic feral people that then seclude themselves over something (more so with the good old platform "exclusives" for little fanboy wars) then get hilariously upset and create drama when the game isn't what they dreamt up or what was marketed but not actually played / experienced to properly judge.

but yeah, rants
I imagine the exclusive reveals are what allow the award show to happen, though. I agree it's shitty, but Geoff probably views it as a necessary evil.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Interesting. Loaded up Steam and was given a hardware survey involving having a mic, how often I use a mic in game, what services I use to talk in game, and if I would prefer a built in Steam client voice chat system if it was introduced. Odd as Steam Voice Chat already exists, but whatever.

Annubis

Interesting. Loaded up Steam and was given a hardware survey involving having a mic, how often I use a mic in game, what services I use to talk in game, and if I would prefer a built in Steam client voice chat system if it was introduced. Odd as Steam Voice Chat already exists, but whatever.

Skype sucks so much now... I'd actually want one as an alternative.

This can only mean Seaman is coming to Steam.

It's the price that has to be paid in order for it to exist, those awards are expensive and in order to get companies to sponsor it they need something to draw people in, if playing a few trailers gets the job done then that's cool I'm fine with it personally, it's the way it has to be unless Geoff wins the lottery or something.
Exactly. This wouldn't exist without them. I give kudos to Geoff for taking all this on himself as well as trying to give it some dignity and not turning it into what it was on Spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom