• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What was good about Asylum's story? Titan crap was the only development in that game's narrative and that only led to the worst final boss ever.

He may prefer the game for its structure, which is distinctly Metroidesque. I myself prefer Asylum over City (I've played very little of Origins and Knight, though like City they're also open-world) for that very reason.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Working on a spreadsheet to take my Removed Games Collection to the next level. Is it a good idea to spend $83 on Expendables 2 The Videogame?

He may be referring to the structure of the game world, which is distinctly Metroidesque. I myself prefer Asylum over City (I've played very little of Origins and Knight, though like City they're also open-world) for that very reason.

Maybe. The only thing he mentioned was story though.

Asylum is to Metroid-like as imitation crab is to crab meat though, for the record

zdenko1

I had some free time and created this for 2016's Steam Winter Seal.

vNPSfk4.png

Coreda

The crowbar is the best touch.

Edit: there was an Expendables 2 video game? Only had heard of the whatchamacallit-Bros tie-in.

JaseC

Working on a spreadsheet to take my Removed Games Collection to the next level. Is it a good idea to spend $83 on Expendables 2 The Videogame?

It seems some people on Steam Trades have spares. You may be able to use G2A's price as a bargaining chip.

Asylum is to Metroid-like as imitation crab is to crab meat though, for the record

As I said, I've played the game. Finished it, even. The point was that Asylum takes place in an enclosed space with a Metroid-like structure whereas the subsequent titles are far more open and thus, for some, lose a degree of charm. Personally, flying around Arkham City wasn't as engaging as exploring and gradually unlocking the labyrinthine asylum.

Edit: Oh, and just to cover the other base, Super Metroid remains my most favourite game. I don't mean to suggest that Asylum is as tightly-crafted, however.

Yes way. :)

Still think it's funny that John Walker@RPS edited his review after the game, after finding out about it.

[QUOTE="John Walker]They’ve kept actual changes to a complete minimum, beyond aesthetics and controls. And I wonder if that was necessarily the best idea. I think this could have been an opportunity to make a few tweaks that would make the game slightly more amenable – most obviously, I’d suggest, would be an instant access to the Chron-O-Johns, rather than having to laboriously walk each character to them in order to exchange items.

Edit: OMG, I never, ever knew you could just click items on their portraits. In 23 years, I never knew. Good grief, I’m such an idiot. Thank you to Richard Cobbett for pointing this out![/QUOTE]

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/21/day-of-the-tentacle-remastered-review/

zdenko1

This one's gigantic, any chance for a ver. that is 900 pixels wide?
This one would be a good Winter Sale banner IMO.

I can resize it and I would be very glad if it could be used as a banner. Give me a sec.

Thank you everyone for kind words.

Edit: Here it is. If you want text added to it just let me know.

pl0Bgys.png

Tizoc

Yeah that size is perfect thanks. I'll have the draft written up and send it to Jase to put up the thread by the time the sale starts.

JaseC

Yeah that size is perfect thanks. I'll have the draft written up and send it to Jase to put up the thread by the time the sale starts.

Feel free to make the thread yourself. It's no skin off my nose. You're already halfway there!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I just binged myself silly on Arkham Knight over the last few days. I really liked it. But the parts of it I liked were the parts I really enjoyed about the previous games as well, and the further it moved away from those parts and let the new aspects influence those old mechanics, the less I enjoyed it. Which is a long winded way of saying what everyone else has said about it; Those Batmobile segments really didn't justify themselves, or how they affected the rest of the design of the game. Some parallels to be drawn between Witcher 3 and maybe Mad Max. Open world design with multiple means of traversal is tough.

I was also surprised that it was playable on my now sixish year old rig with 16GB ram and a 970 GTX. I really thought I was going to have to build a new comp to get it playable. Though to be fair, I never attempted anything over 30 FPS vsynced. It's one of the most visually impressive games I've ever played too. Though I kinda missed the comically excessive PhysX use from the previous games. There was never a moment where I just spun around in a dense fog for awhile.

Tizoc

I am FINALLY getting around to watching Stranger Things, enjoying it but I wish it wasn't 45 mins. per ep. @_@
After that is Westworld

Tizoc

Short attention span? :p

Nope, i'M Fine with British TV shows being about an hour per ep. but that's because they're short like half a dozen episodes per season or so, in general.
I'd rather they cover everything in shorter running time so I could devote more time to other stuff :p
EDIT: Ep. 3 and W. Ryder is totally losing it...

Ludens

Banned
I was enjoying Battlefield Hardline, until I hit a gamebreaking bug: when I interact with something in a room of Episode 1, I have a blackscreen and I can't do nothing. I can open the menu (it works as usually), but the screen is totally black.

fantomena

How do I delete a game from my library?

Tip: I didn't know of this until off yesterday when I browsed r/gamedeals. On Uplay Store, if you have UPlay points, you can convert 100 points into a 20% coupon code and use it in the store. You can convert as many 100s you want to 20% coupons. It stackes on already discounted games (as far as Ive tried), but the 20% coupons can't be stacked. Your UPlay level do not decrease when you use the points either.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is RE7 the only triple A game releasing in January?

Resident Evil 7 is the one I'm most excited for, but depending on your perception it could or could not be.

It and Tales of Berseria release on the same day, they're the only 'bigger' games releasing on PC during the month, but it's up for debate if the Tales of Games are in the AAA space I think.

Valkyria Revolution releases in Japan (Q2 in other territories), Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, Gravity Rush 2, and Yakuza 0 all release on PS4 in January, but it's really up for debate again if those are AAA or not (I lean towards more of these being quirky and with fans than 'AAA'), and all of those are Sony exclusive.

To be frankly honest, out of any game releasing in January, Resident Evil 7 will probably be the one that performs the best. Especially if all the previews turn out to be on the money and the game gets good critical reception (a lot of people who got to play the first 4-5 hours of RE7 say if the rest of the game is as good as the 4-5 hours they played, it might be something truly special).

GamesRadar said the 4-5 hours they spent with RE7 wasn't just really good, but one of the best gameplay experiences they had in all of 2016: http://www.gamesradar.com/a-four-ho...-one-of-the-best-things-ive-played-this-year/

PC Gamer said if the rest of RE7 is as good as the 4-5 hours they played of the game, few games, horror or otherwise, will come close to touching it in 2017: http://www.pcgamer.com/meeting-the-horrifying-baker-family-in-resident-evil-7/

Playstation Magazine UK says if the rest of the game is this good, we're looking at the next 10/10 from them, which surprised them since before they played the big chunk of RE7 they never expected it might be a serious GOTY contender for them.

And every other outlet was similarly super impressed with the 4-5 hours of hands-on time they had with the game, IGN says its the most interesting horror game in years, Gamespot says he's now very excited for it after his hands-on with the game and it's the first entry in the series in years that doesn't feel on a crutch but actually leading the pack, Eurogamer says it's genuinely terrifying and the best RE experience they've had in a long time, and so forth. So it very well may end up being the biggest release in January and the most talked about release if everything stacks up well enough and people's impressions of the game are just as positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom