• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Anyone got any of those Steam Wallet deals?

Yall-Got-Any-More-Of.jpg

Accoun

Cleaning up abandoned 2016 games going well. Finished Obduction today. Really good game, although the ending was kind of lackluster. Can't decide if I like The Witness or Obduction better.

Installed it recently and did anyone try to play in node mode with unlocked cursor? I didn't really it that way, felt badly implemented. Locked mode is OK, I guess.

Grief.exe

Remember buy 1 get 1 50% off @ Target? Those were the days. But yea Steam is way too popular now Valve don't care for that stuff anymore.

That's mainly to do with retailers, not Valve.

The last good deal I remember was b1g1 for 50 percent off.

I miss that. Best buy Pls

Whenever the opportunity arises I always grab $100+ in cards as the wallet deals only come around once or twice a year.

FLD

I bought MGS V again because I like bringing myself disappointment

and because my first playthrough was on ps3

At least this time you know going in that the story is trash. You can focus on the god-tier gameplay without any distractions. I've been itching for a replay for a few months now but I just know if I reinstall it I'll lose another 50+ hours to it. That time would be better spent playing stuff from my backlog.

wbacon made another post on the Steam forums about the RE7 demo situation

said they still haven't figured out what's goin on and may just have to wait until tomorrow when Steam can help

makes me question the decision to try and launch this on a Sunday knowing that if there's any issues you're basically out of luck until Monday anyway

said they still haven't figured out what's goin on and may just have to wait until tomorrow when Steam can help

makes me question the decision to try and launch this on a Sunday knowing that if there's any issues you're basically out of luck until Monday anyway
CAPCOM:

060.png

That's mainly to do with retailers, not Valve.

I thought it was always some crosspromotion type of thing. I haven't seen that deal in a long while now.

Yeah, I believe it's all on retailers.

Here in Indonesia, we've had this 'national online shopping day' event last week. Lots of local retailers are giving big deals like 50% off for Steam wallet cards.

I still have a good amount of Steam money, leftovers from the summer sale. I barely bought anything on that sale. Maybe I'll spend some this time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Someone asked Valve to change the Free on Demand sub to Unavailable a week-and-a-half ago, presumably because they mistakenly feared people would otherwise be able to download the demo early, but forgot to have it changed back to Available in time for release.

Tried a bit of Mordheim last night.

Seems like a complex game, I'll start with the tutorial. The tutorial consists of a couple of mouseover bubbles tha say this is where you start a mission. How do I recruit people? What's the difference between leaders, henchmen and the other one? Now I'm in a mission, is there a Map? What am I doing? Overwatch? Perception? How come I'm getting massacred in two hits while my weapons are as effective as a pool noodle?

I know I've gotten lazier since the old days with massive manuals but c'mon...

Teggy

Let it Die, my surprise GOTY, love the game so far at floor 26.

Played a little of it when it came out, made a lady who walked around in underwear, ate roasted mushrooms, killed my zombie self, was kind of cool. Too many other games right now, didn't want to get too involved especially with the FTP part of doing daily logins and stuff. Plus me and souls-likes is frustration waiting to happen.

It was (is?) 50% off on wingamesstore but its a telltale key. 50% on steam would be one of the few sure things I would buy.

Good news--though I wonder if they will do it. Doubling the discount seems like something that doesn't happen on Steam anymore.

Unfortunately(?) I'm not desperate enough to try TellTale DRM... especially given their engine woes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Got Riven, played 30 minutes and could do nothing but run between the starting areas. Uninstalled.

You would have got there eventually. The first island isn't too hard. If you use paper, you'll be able to track the rotation of the rotating room -- if you didn't get that far then try going under the locked wooden gate by clicking the path under it.

The truly unfair parts of Riven come later; one magic pixel puzzle (
the level to open the cave mouth
), one truly unfair screen transition (
the machine hidden such that it requires you to close the door
), and two very unfair puzzles (
the species symbols
and especially
the fire marbles
).

kagamin

Played a little of it when it came out, made a lady who walked around in underwear, ate roasted mushrooms, killed my zombie self, was kind of cool. Too many other games right now, didn't want to get too involved especially with the FTP part of doing daily logins and stuff. Plus me and souls-likes is frustration waiting to happen.

The difficulty is way less balanced than a souls game so it feels way harder.

at 1440p with everything at it's highest the RE7 demo runs ok but there are some dips...but setting the AO to SSAO instead of HBAO+ gets almost double the frame rate in some areas

that's with a 4690K/1070...don't have whatever the newest NVIDIA drivers are though so dunno if that would make a huge difference...just changing that one setting though for anyone that may have any issues could be a big help (full game with more polish and newer NVIDIA drivers in January could make this all meaningless anyway)

dex3108

at 1440p with everything at it's highest the RE7 demo runs ok but there are some dips...but setting the AO to SSAO instead of HBAO+ gets almost double the frame rate in some areas

that's with a 4690K/1070...don't have whatever the newest NVIDIA drivers are though so dunno if that would make a huge difference...just changing that one setting though for anyone that may have any issues could be a big help (full game with more polish and newer NVIDIA drivers in January could make this all meaningless anyway)

You should never turn off HBAO+ :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yup Day of the Tentacle still completely holds up, its as smart and funny as it was back then. Cant believe I remembered like 90% of the puzzles too (I did play it multiple times back then, but still). I bet ill remember even more of Full Throttle when it releases, I played that game all the time when I was a kid.

47 games now, guess I will finish the challenge afterall.

JaseC

Well, someone in the world hates me right now. I received a refund on one of the blacklisted Last Survivor keys I purchased on G2A (I'm waiting for a ruling on the other one), however the seller was convinced that I'd redeemed the key on an alt. account. Trust me, Mr. Mystery Person: I didn't spend the past couple of days trying to fleece you out of your ~USD$1.70.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
He probably doesnt trust you because you're Australian.

I know I wouldn't.

zkylon

zkylewd
Rogue One is pretty good, its like a war film set in Star Wars universe. It's a shame DICE's Battlefront is such a bland experience.
i didn't love rouge one so much

i found it had all the same pacing issues as that other new star wars movie but none of the likeable characters and classic star wars charm

it does make me wish there was a kotor 3 tho

RE7 demo download Issue is now fixed. Go go go!

After playing it, Im officially hyped. I got the bad ending but damn I really enjoyed my time with it. First person is an interesting take that works. I feel like if it was still third person, shit would be more like RE6

RE7 demo for me is puke central, severe motion sickness. But the thing is I played it on a console, I was sitting meters away from TV, I shouldn't be getting this.

i found it had all the same pacing issues as that other new star wars movie but none of the likeable characters and classic star wars charm

It's about the everyday little guys in the Rebellion, who lead unfortunate and depressing lives. None of them is a Skywalker or friend with one. They are not charming but they are definitely likeable.

Oh and I can play KOTOR on my phone, it's pretty neat.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
After playing it, Im officially hyped. I got the bad ending but damn I really enjoyed my time with it. First person is an interesting take that works. I feel like if it was still third person, shit would be more like RE6

Tip: Try playing again but using what you learned in the VHS tape BEFORE you watch the VHS tape.

RE7 demo for me is puke central, severe motion sickness. But the thing is I played it on a console, I was sitting meters away from TV, I shouldn't be getting this.

Did you try changing some of the movement settings around? RE7 has a lot of different options, including for the camera.

Haven't seen it yet, but I want it to be the adventures of Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors.

And I want a new Jedi Knight game. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 3. It's time!

Anyone played The Secret World in recent years and have any idea of how it's come about? Director left a while back but Dreamfall Chapters was honestly pretty awful now that it's finished so it's not like Ragnar is perfect.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's about the everyday little guys in the Rebellion, who lead unfortunate and depressing lives. None of them is a Skywalker or friend with one. They are not charming but they are definitely likeable.

Oh and I can play KOTOR on my phone, it's pretty neat.
i get the feeling that rouge one would've worked much better as like a game, where you get to see a bit more about each character rather than the "this guy is kind of a jedi", "this guy is a smart ass robot" you get in the movie

i do think it was cool how they explored the greyer side of star wars but the movie itself is kind of ehh

not terrible or anything, but i'll forget about it soon enough

Momentary

Banned
Re-quoting myself here for those who don't venture over to gaming side.

Concerning RE7:

Borrowed some pics over on the console screenshot side (credit to chandoog) to do a comparison. Not trying to start anything here whatsoever. I just wanted to show a comparison between a high-end PC and console.

Console version looks good, but this shows how Capcom is actually putting in some extra care on this port. Fantastic job.

(PC version is running Max everything with Chromatic Aberration turned off, SSAO, and 5K downsampled to 1080p running at 60~65fps.)

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/194167

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/194168

Xanathus

I still have no idea what the actual final gameplay of RE7 is going to be, people have been saying that it isn't going to be survival horror like in the demos but closer to a conventional RE game with emphasis on combat.

JaseC

Feel free test yourself too, of course.

Both Free Weekends ended several hours ago. No pop-ups; instead, "License Expired" was added to the app names in the client. I'd say "SubscriptionExpired" either refers to actual subscription packages (e.g. EVE Online's 1/3/6/12-month subscription plans) or simply isn't used.

Coreda

I hope more PC demos become a trend. Feels like there's beginning to be a bit of revival. Indies have generally always been more open to them.

madjoki

Both Free Weekends ended several hours ago. No pop-ups; instead, "License Expired" was added to the app names in the client. I'd say "SubscriptionExpired" either refers to actual subscription packages (e.g. EVE Online's 1/3/6/12-month subscription plans) or simply isn't used.

It's not instant (usually during next week, but I haven't kept tabs on it).

While I'm not 100% sure if that url used, but at least pattern was same/similar. (using Wireshark to determine where page is loaded from)

I assume Steam doesn't instantly delete expired licenses server side, which is why it's delayed.

As this is fairly recent, it could be related to change for free weekend to use Free On Demand subs.(Meaning it was ignored for "Free Weekend" type subs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom