• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Aside from salsa, who will make the winter seal thread?
There should also be a hidden gems/recomendation thread but that one ill coordinate with dusk golem likely

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was thinking about trying to up my removed games collection game. Right now I have 92, and the cutoff to be in the Removed Games Collectors group is 110. Any obvious strategies for hitting the target? I feel like I've gotten most of the still-available-for-purchase stuff, but I'm up to other cheap options. Not really interested in paying say $50 a game or whatever. Also up for shady key sites if that's what it takes. I have global VPN access too, so I can redeem non-US keys.

Of my GAF friends, BernardoOne, Smash88, and kurt russell are the only members.

http://timekillerz.eu/removed/tools.php <-- my user id is "stumpo" so you can see which removed games I own/don't own.
When I read that first sentence I immediately started to get my hot tips to removing games from your account ready... then I read the rest.

What arcade stick do you guys use

Now that MvC is coming to PC I want to play seriously and the pad is tough to land complex combos on.

Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai (i.e. the RAP4); 2016 revision. It's great. It's got a switch on the side to swap between DInput and XInput modes, so you can use it on your PC or your PS3/PS4 (whereas a lot of sticks are basically one or the other). The 2016 revision also has Hayabusa buttons which feel really nice.

Nier releasing on PC day and date with the console version.

tlZG3OF.png

Great news if true!

Maybe this will finally teach SE to go day and date with PC releases.

They've already done it with I Am Setsune. The game is not selling that well but it's just a smaller, indie-like budget compared to Nier so I guess it doesn't really reflect anything. We'll see how Nier will perform in March.

Small hands = PS4 controller generally
Normal size = PS4 or XB1
Giant hands = Original Xbox controller

For me, Sixaxis controller feels more comfortable and easier to use, but I always get my right fingers stiffed or cramped after a long session. Never got it when I use an Xbox controller.

kagamin

Who owns the rights to Illbleed? Just wondering since that would be nice to get a port for from gamepump for example, though I dunno if that's classic enough. :p

Corpekata

Banned
I really hope Nier isn't the "learn to release day and date" game because while I want it, I don't see it being a big hit, similar to Setsuna. The lesson needs to be learned with a flagship. FFXV should have been it.

Momentary

Banned
now if persona would release on pc that would really save me the trouble of buying a ps4

Maybe they don't see it as being profitable for them for some odd reason. What's the sales number on their previous entry from a single platform... not overall.

Edit: I found it.

North America
Persona 4 (PS2) – 110,000 (150,000 expected)
Japan
Persona 4* (PS2) – 300,000 (180,000 expected)

I feel like PC could do 300,000 on Persona 5 EASY.

SEGA tell Atlus to suck it up and release their delights on PC.

now if persona would release on pc that would really save me the trouble of buying a ps4

No, it can't do that. I already bought a PS4 for Persona 5.

And you know, it was like buying a PSTV for Persona 4, except for the price and the jet engine attached to it.

MUnited83

For you.
I was thinking about trying to up my removed games collection game. Right now I have 92, and the cutoff to be in the Removed Games Collectors group is 110. Any obvious strategies for hitting the target? I feel like I've gotten most of the still-available-for-purchase stuff, but I'm up to other cheap options. Not really interested in paying say $50 a game or whatever. Also up for shady key sites if that's what it takes. I have global VPN access too, so I can redeem non-US keys.

http://timekillerz.eu/removed/tools.php <-- my user id is "stumpo" so you can see which removed games I own/don't own.

Old Football Manager games can often still be gotten for cheap if you scour ebay and the likes.

Virtua Tennis 4 and Windborne are still being sold relatively cheap by traders, afaik. Windborne seems to be 7 euros on G2A as a last resort. London 2012 is around 8 euros on G2A.

Blood of Old was widely bundled, it's 0.5€ on G2A

Houston , we have a problem is 3€ on G2A

Tuk Rukl is 2€ on G2A

Corpekata

Banned
Is the WIndows store the only place selling DR4 PC? With it not being play anywhere, doesn't even have the advantage of waiting out a cheap Xbox code it seems.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

Here's a fun end of year activity: What publishers do you think will be making the jump to Steam this year, and in what capacity?

We got a cheat-sheet for this kind of thing with the SteamDB leak, but we're flying blind this year.

What, if anything, will SEGA be delivering?
Is this the year Atlus does...something?
Does Atelier Firis mean Gust might port the rest of their library at some point?
Where the heck is Vanillaware? It was October last year they said they were exploring solutions.

I can't really remember what I would have predicted would come out by the end of this year, so maybe it'll be fun to check back on this post at this time '017. I'll start by saying...

• SEGA will definitely release one of their older games on PC this year. Maybe more than one! Fingers crossed it's Bayonetta/Vanquish/Resonance of Fate. Will question nature of reality if it's Panzer Dragoon Orta.
  • Atlus will reluctantly be persuaded to port one of their iOS titles to Steam. Maybe. Probably not.
  • Gust will follow Atlus' lead and not port anything. Or follow Koei Tecmo's lead, and have a terrible port, with terrible sales that will decrease interest in further ports. Because why learn!
  • Vanillaware might be provoked into tweeting about something again.
  • Nippon Ichi will port more of their back catalog because it seems to be working for them.

What do your crystal balls say, SteamGAF?

Tizoc

Maybe they don't see it as being profitable for them for some odd reason. What's the sales number on their previous entry from a single platform... not overall.

Edit: I found it.

North America
Persona 4 (PS2) – 110,000 (150,000 expected)
Japan
Persona 4* (PS2) – 300,000 (180,000 expected)

I feel like PC could do 300,000 on Persona 5 EASY.

SEGA tell Atlus to suck it up and release their delights on PC.
Persona 4 golden at $20 would sell like hotcakes
Bonus points should people be able to mod it

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Will BulletStorm not work at all or is it just multiplayer that won't work?

It'll be completely non-functional and require a crack as it's one of the few GFWL titles that don't support offline/local profiles.

The Football Manager games (2009 -> 2016, and 2013 Russian, which is the only region-specific version that counts for some reason) will get you to 101. Amazon is still selling RUSE keys for $10, and you can also pick up Star Trek DAC + Breach + Legends of the Pegasus for $15.32. Cities XL 2011 and 2012, London 2012, Nascar 2013 and 2014 are cheap on key reselling sites. Once FM 2016 has been pulled, you'll have 110.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Old Football Manager games can often still be gotten for cheap if you scour ebay and the likes. Virtua Tennis 4 and Windborne are still being sold relatively cheap by traders, afaik. Windborne seems to be 7 euros on G2A as a last resort. London 2012 is around 8 euros on G2A. Blood of Old was widely bundled, it's 0.5&#8364; on G2A Houston , we have a problem is 3&#8364; on G2A Tuk Rukl is 2&#8364; on G2A

The Football Manager games (2009 -> 2016, and 2013 Russian, which is the only region-specific version that counts for some reason) will get you to 101. Amazon is still selling RUSE keys for $10, and you can also pick up Star Trek DAC + Breach + Legends of the Pegasus for $15.32. Cities XL 2011 and 2012, London 2012, Nascar 2013 and 2014 are cheap on key reselling sites. Once FM 2016 has been pulled, you'll have 110.

Thanks. I started with Ride to Hell: Retribution ($2.50) and Blood of Old ($0.50) -- the former of which I actually want to owner to play. Gonna look into older football manager games to see which the cheapest are. Star Trek DAC is another one I wanted to play so I'll definitely scoop that up.

Edit: I signed up for one of those scam fraud websites where you watch ads and shit to get garbage and used that to get some garbage removed game called Titan for some reason.

I've been wanting to join this group for ages, well not that much, just to entertain myself really. But every time I get close they up the requirements. I even had enough at one point and they upped it before I could join! I'm now at 108/110 and I assume by the time I get two more they'll up the entry requirement again.

I have 44 friends in this group (no true surprise) and apparently meet the requirements myself
123 games
but I'm not sure if I really see the point in it.

Like you, most of my games were from versions removed from the store before re-release, or things that went on sale a billion times before they were removed (such as Castle of Illusion).

I do have a few of the more "rare" games (Onimusha, 007 Legends, Prey, Riddick, Star Trek, etc) that I actually paid money for, but I think the majority of my "steam collecting" days are behind me.

I guess my advice would to be buy everything that's licenced and wait a few years. A surprising number of games on my list made me go "Oh, that got removed from the store? Since when? Oh, it was pulled in 2012. Interesting." Going to shady key sites looking for removed games will likely end in disappointment depending on how wide you want to open your wallet.

Wait, why would Capcom remove one of their own games that they 100% own the rights to?

Here's a fun end of year activity: What publishers do you think will be making the jump to Steam this year, and in what capacity?

We got a cheat-sheet for this kind of thing with the SteamDB leak, but we're flying blind this year.

What, if anything, will SEGA be delivering?
Is this the year Atlus does...something?
Does Atelier Firis mean Gust might port the rest of their library at some point?
Where the heck is Vanillaware? It was October last year they said they were exploring solutions.

I can't really remember what I would have predicted would come out by the end of this year, so maybe it'll be fun to check back on this post at this time '017. I'll start by saying...

• SEGA will definitely release one of their older games on PC this year. Maybe more than one! Fingers crossed it's Bayonetta/Vanquish/Resonance of Fate. Will question nature of reality if it's Panzer Dragoon Orta.
  • Atlus will reluctantly be persuaded to port one of their iOS titles to Steam. Maybe. Probably not.

[*]Gust will follow Atlus' lead and not port anything. Or follow Koei Tecmo's lead, and have a terrible port, with terrible sales that will decrease interest in further ports. Because why learn!
  • Vanillaware might be provoked into tweeting about something again.
  • Nippon Ichi will port more of their back catalog because it seems to be working for them.

What do your crystal balls say, SteamGAF?

Too late, the next Atelier is confirmed to get a PC release.

Anteater

I love how there are people on the gaming side who are amazed by the new DS4 version's battery life, because they went from 3-4 hours per charge to 6 hours per charge.

man yeah the steam controller battery life is pretty awesome, still testing it to see when it'll run out

JaseC

Wait, why would Capcom remove one of their own games that they 100% own the rights to?

A cursory search suggests that the game has compatibility/technical issues on Win7 and beyond, and the November 2014 hardware survey data states that almost 90% of Steam's active userbase was running such an OS. I doubt Jean Reno's likeness and voice was a factor as the game was pulled a couple of months before turning 11 and, in all likelihood, it would have been contract work, not a matter of licensing (e.g. Bowie in Omikron).

Finally beat Blood and Wine for the first time. I loved it. I chose
to take syanna out of the fabled world and got her to listen to reason during her trial.

Anyone know if it's worth going back and
doing the quest line where you look for the elder vampire instead to bring out detliff?

Corpekata

Banned
I thought Onimisha might have been related to Jean Reno's likeness rights or something along those lines. It was removed at the end of a year IIRC which lines up with rights issues.

Popstar

Checking on that website there's less stuff removed that I would want than I thought. Just the standard Sega (Outrun 2, Virtua Tennis) and Id (Quake Wars, Wolfenstein) stuff, along with the Powerpuff Girls game from Radiangames.

Mivey

Anyone know if it's worth going back and
doing the quest line where you look for the elder vampire instead to bring out detliff?
The
vampire
lair is a really weird location, expanding the lore behind the
vampires
. But its also much shorter then the other branch, so if you have a save game available, I would say give it a try
(you get a sadder ending though)

Aside from salsa, who will make the winter seal thread?

All yours once Salsa gets himself banned as per tradition.

When I read that first sentence I immediately started to get my hot tips to removing games from your account ready... then I read the rest.

Yup that's exactly how I read it. I should start a group where you really have to have removed games from your Steam account to be eligible. Minimum 100 and then we'll go up from there.

There's literally no way to ever verify this so anyone will be able to join

madjoki

Edit: Also wondering if they have resources about regional restrictions, in terms of which games are RU/CIS activation restricted but playable elsewhere.

Run-time locks are only minor annoyance these days. After 90 days, they magically become region free. Expect can't be family shared, as family sharing is more strict about region locks (even just activation locked games can't be shared).

JaseC

Expect can't be family shared, as family sharing is more strict about region locks (even just activation locked games can't be shared).

Not exactly. If you're accessing the shared library from an IP of a country permitted by the activation/runtime restriction flags, then the games will appear. For example (normal IP top, South Korean IP bottom):

fs_usualipqqsfd.jpg

fs_koreanip5asbw.jpg

Tizoc

All yours once Salsa gets himself banned as per tradition.

Yup that's exactly how I read it. I should start a group where you really have to have removed games from your Steam account to be eligible. Minimum 100 and then we'll go up from there.

There's literally no way to ever verify this so anyone will be able to join
Despite what my tag reads i am unable to make threads for quite some time :x

gngf123

You guys keep talking about Persona, and here I am just wanting Atlus to release Nocturne on PC.

Hell, I would even take a PC version of the SMT 1 + 2 mobile ports.

Sober

So maybe it was because I'm still on Windows 7, but getting a XBOne controller up and running was a bit of a headache.

Had it wired, then it installed drivers which didn't really work. Googled, was told to use the MS update catalogue to download them. Extracted the files, but the INF files refused to install. Googled again, learned there was a proper installer for the drivers, but MS pulled them, because "don't worry, Windows Update has you covered." Cue me trying to find if I can find the update in Windows Update.

Finally I get them working by installing and finding the drivers manually and unlike the 360 controller, the system sorta mostly sees it as a generic controller in the Devices window. No big deal I guess. Guess they really want to push W10 that hard that they're making trying to get a XBOne controller on W7 such a task.

Guide button doesn't launch Steam BPM but I'm trying not to sweat it since I don't use it with my 360 pad.

Tried a few games out with the controller and they seem fine. The problem is I've run into some exceptions, mostly crap ports that don't give a fuck about the XBOne controller like Samurai Warriors 4-2 and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 which don't even really give a fuck about XInput at all. I try for a bit but realize not even something like X360CE will help.

So I kinda like the XBOne controller overall but I feel like I should've just stuck with my 360 pad cause it seems to just cover everything new and also catches some of the weird Japanese ports. I've never had any problems with my 360 pad since day 1 except some stick drift (it's been like 6+ years). Or I should've just bought another 360 pad to keep as a spare.

All these years, it never occured to me to ask this: If I buy a russian key, login to steam with a russian IP using a VPN and activate it, then revert to the IP of my real locale, what happens to the game and my account?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom