• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

All these years, it never occured to me to ask this: If I buy a russian key, login to steam with a russian IP using a VPN and activate it, then revert to the IP of my real locale, what happens to the game and my account?

Probably nothing, but it's not recommended. Also I believe that you need to Russian VPN every time you want to play that game

gngf123

Square Enix are so fucking stupid sometimes. Seriously, how are they handling the PR for this game so badly?

Complete ineptitude? Marketing deal with Sony?

Ascheroth

Hm, true.
And all MMOs obviously, I guess they really want that double dip money for this one.

Which is a completely stupid way of thinking, even more so for niche games.
The disadvantages a late release brings will never be outweighed by double-dippers.

Probably nothing, but it's not recommended. Also I believe that you need to Russian VPN every time you want to play that game

Can anyone confirm this?

I'm asking because sometimes I use a VPN for various reasons, but can acces Steam and my library without any issues, despite all my library being content locked to my specific locale..

Wok

Edit: I signed up for one of those scam fraud websites where you watch ads and shit to get garbage and used that to get some garbage removed game called Titan for some reason.

I am voiceless. What is the real motivation behind this will to get into that Steam group?

I'm mostly interested in whether the group has any members-only resources for stuff that was removed a long time ago. I have no illusions about getting a The Movies, Blur, or Wolfenstein 2009 key but there are a few other older ones that I'd like. So I figured paying to get a few more recently removed things would help bootstrap me in that regard.

Is it something that you know or that you hope for?

http://timekillerz.eu/removed/tools.php <-- my user id is "stumpo" so you can see which removed games I own/don't own.

I had no idea these were removed. I should have bought one of these cheap bundles a few years ago.

3470 Bookworm Adventures Deluxe
3630 BookWorm Adventures Volume 2
3650 Zuma's Revenge! - Adventure

233390 Cart Life

Did they fix the Mafia 3 pc port? As in it runs 60+ FPS now? I played a good bit of it on ps4 and it ran and looked like butt. The pop in was ps2-esque.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
found a $20 gift card and have a wfh day today... someone gimmie good "podcast game" suggestions please!

a la rocket league, overwatch, marvel heroes...

Vlad

So maybe it was because I'm still on Windows 7, but getting a XBOne controller up and running was a bit of a headache.

Had it wired, then it installed drivers which didn't really work. Googled, was told to use the MS update catalogue to download them. Extracted the files, but the INF files refused to install. Googled again, learned there was a proper installer for the drivers, but MS pulled them, because "don't worry, Windows Update has you covered." Cue me trying to find if I can find the update in Windows Update.

Finally I get them working by installing and finding the drivers manually and unlike the 360 controller, the system sorta mostly sees it as a generic controller in the Devices window. No big deal I guess. Guess they really want to push W10 that hard that they're making trying to get a XBOne controller on W7 such a task.

Guide button doesn't launch Steam BPM but I'm trying not to sweat it since I don't use it with my 360 pad.

Tried a few games out with the controller and they seem fine. The problem is I've run into some exceptions, mostly crap ports that don't give a fuck about the XBOne controller like Samurai Warriors 4-2 and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 which don't even really give a fuck about XInput at all. I try for a bit but realize not even something like X360CE will help.

So I kinda like the XBOne controller overall but I feel like I should've just stuck with my 360 pad cause it seems to just cover everything new and also catches some of the weird Japanese ports. I've never had any problems with my 360 pad since day 1 except some stick drift (it's been like 6+ years). Or I should've just bought another 360 pad to keep as a spare.

Hm, that's weird. For what it's worth, I'm also on Win 7, and got one of the wired controllers and a wireless adapter and it was all entirely plug and play. The home button even launches BPM.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can anyone confirm this?

I'm asking because sometimes I use a VPN for various reasons, but can acces Steam and my library without any issues, despite all my library being content locked to my specific locale..

It varies. Some Eastern European-specific subs are runtime-restricted while others aren't. You can check which package you have by opening Steam's console (steam://open/console in your browser or windows key + R) and typing in licenses_for_app appid.

Edit: Oops, missed fspm's post saying much the same thing.

If Square offered the first Nier on PC to eat up some time I would be much happier, because I really want to replay it and can't be fucked downloading dozens of updates on consoles that haven't been plugged in for well over a year.

How are they so fucking incompetent.

Endruen

If Square offered the first Nier on PC to eat up some time I would be much happier, because I really want to replay it and can't be fucked downloading dozens of updates on consoles that haven't been plugged in for well over a year.

How are they so fucking incompetent.

I want them to release the first one on PC too because I didn't play it and it's impossible to find a copy nowadays.

I want them to release the first one on PC too because I didn't play it and it's impossible to find a copy nowadays.

I have a copy on PS3 and 360. I *think* the 360 version is an Asian region release and I am not sure if it is region free or not (I have a J-360 for shmups), but it is in English. I will have to take a look for them because they are in storage, but if you really want a copy shoot me a PM.

You need to check on steamdb for each game, some russian keys aren't even region restricted.

What exactly should I look for? For example, how can I tell if Doom 2016 is region restricted?

It varies. Some Eastern European-specific subs are runtime-restricted while others aren't. You can check which package you have by opening Steam's console (steam://open/console in your browser or windows key + R) and typing in licenses_for_app appid.

Edit: Oops, missed fspm's post saying much the same thing.

I can't seem to locate a conprehensive list of licenses for a certain appid on steamdb though..

Ascheroth

I knew it was fucked up from the moment Taro said "ask Square Enix".

When a developer says that, you know the publisher did something fucking stupid that they can't call "fucking stupid" in public but wish they could.

I actually forgot that Platinums development process nowadays is making a PC version and then scaling it down to the different console hardwares. Which makes this whole thing even more stupid and infuriating.
So this isn't even a case of 'the port needs more time', and even then: why is just clearly communicating so hard?

I'm honstly starting to get really annoyed at how SE Japan treats their PC customers.

Seriously, is there any other industry where companies try their hardest to lie to and keep information from parts of their customerbase?

JaseC

I can't seem to locate a conprehensive list of licenses for a certain appid on steamdb though..

Search for the app, either by id or name, and then click the "Packages" link in the side menu. The licenses_for_app command in Steam will tell you which of the packages you have tied to your account (by id, not name). For instance, if you activated a Doom key sourced from a Russian retail copy, you'd likely find that the package id is 99365, which is runtime-restricted, and similarly, if you're wary about RU Doom keys being region-locked, then you could click through to each of the CD key packages to see if there are any restrictions -- that 99365 is specifically for Eastern Europe means that it's likely what the keys in Russian retail copies are tied to.

Jameson

I understand SE and Sony making deals for time exclusivity for games like "Final Fantasy", but Nier is a niche and delicate franchise to be playing these stupid games like this.

Search for the app, either by id or name, and then click the "Packages" link in the side menu. The licenses_for_app command in Steam will tell you which of the packages you have tied to your account (by id, not name). For instance, if you activated a Doom key sourced from a Russian retail copy, you'd likely find that the package id is 99365, which is runtime-restricted, and similarly, if you're wary about RU Doom keys being region-locked, then you could click through to each of the CD key packages to see if there are any restrictions -- that 99365 is specifically for Eastern Europe means that it's likely what the keys in Russian retail copies are tied to.

Sorry for being a pest but I'm trying to get a better understanding of things. I live in Turkey so games for me are priced in TRY. There is no DOOM region-specific sub I can find for Turkey, yet a region specific pricing exists (and the game is fucking overpriced compared to what it costs in most regions, because the local importers are being total dickcunts).

In this case, does it mean that the usual sub is being locally priced for me? So if I use a UK VPN and buy a UK copy of it with GBP, I could play it in Turkey no problems?

Heh, what a weird handling of the situation. Doubt it will take long for the PC date anyway.
I was thinking about trying to up my removed games collection game. Right now I have 92, and the cutoff to be in the Removed Games Collectors group is 110. Any obvious strategies for hitting the target? I feel like I've gotten most of the still-available-for-purchase stuff, but I'm up to other cheap options. Not really interested in paying say $50 a game or whatever. Also up for shady key sites if that's what it takes. I have global VPN access too, so I can redeem non-US keys.

Of my GAF friends, BernardoOne, Smash88, and kurt russell are the only members.

http://timekillerz.eu/removed/tools.php <-- my user id is "stumpo" so you can see which removed games I own/don't own.
I have 14. Surprised since I never intended to collect removed games. 444 removed games "left to collect".
I do have 11 of those removed games in keys and Steam gifts though. My grandchildren will thank me.
Not exactly. If you're accessing the shared library from an IP of a country permitted by the activation/runtime restriction flags, then the games will appear. For example (normal IP top, South Korean IP bottom):

https://abload.de/img/fs_usualipqqsfd.jpg

https://abload.de/img/fs_koreanip5asbw.jpg
Hm, ever since Russia purge, I was playing with the idea of family sharing with a person from Russia by smalls monthly/yearly "fees". Makes sense that region locks still prevail but I hadn't thought of that. Hm.
Keine Ursache o/

Endruen

I have a copy on PS3 and 360. I *think* the 360 version is an Asian region release and I am not sure if it is region free or not (I have a J-360 for shmups), but it is in English. I will have to take a look for them because they are in storage, but if you really want a copy shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the offer, but if they don't release the first one on Steam I will just play Automata, maybe if I really like that one I will actively search for a copy of the first one.

Thanks for the offer, but if they don't release the first one on Steam I will just play Automata, maybe if I really like that one I will actively search for a copy of the first one.

No worries, mate. If you change your mind it is not a problem on my end.

I suppose there is also the option of watching all the cutscenes online. But as I said earlier, I really want them to release the first game on PC.

Ubernube

I knew it was fucked up from the moment Taro said "ask Square Enix".

When a developer says that, you know the publisher did something fucking stupid that they can't call "fucking stupid" in public but wish they could.

I wouldn't place much stock in that. Whenever someone asks him something business related about the game, he says that, likely to prevent misunderstandings or mistranslation (like what's going on now it seems...). I imagine Square would be mighty pissed if something he said got misunderstood and people got pissy about it.

Whats the deal with disabled games catagory? There are games on there that I have and I can still install and play them.

Say what you will about Dead Rising 4, the customization I'm seeing from streams looks bonkersauce.

giphy.gif

Coreda

The game became aware of my feelings. Where's the achievo for that one?

Pretty terrible planning. Was intended as a 'quick' attempt to attain the Metropolis Honor points needed to fulfill a sidequest but took much longer than expected.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Whats the deal with disabled games catagory? There are games on there that I have and I can still install and play them.

You cant buy those games anymore or could never buy them cause they where part of a bundle ore pre-order bonusses and so on but they are still listed on the store... purchase disabled...

I was bored and applied for that group too, I have 133 removed games, more than I thought...

JaseC

Hm, ever since Russia purge, I was playing with the idea of family sharing with a person from Russia by smalls monthly/yearly "fees". Makes sense that region locks still prevail but I hadn't thought of that. Hm.

Only the allowrunincountries, prohibitrunincountries and purchaserestrictedcountries flags get in the way. The vast majority of store subs, even for new releases, don't have these flags applied as they're no longer necessary. So, if someone in Russia bought, say, Doom from the store, you'd be able to access it with your usual IP as the store sub is universal.

Sorry for being a pest but I'm trying to get a better understanding of things. I live in Turkey so games for me are priced in TRY. There is no DOOM region-specific sub I can find for Turkey, yet a region specific pricing exists (and the game is fucking overpriced compared to what it costs in most regions, because the local importers are being total dickcunts).

In this case, does it mean that the usual sub is being locally priced for me? So if I use a UK VPN and buy a UK copy of it with GBP, I could play it in Turkey no problems?

Yes and yes, though you don't want to engage in cross-region purchasing on the Steam Store itself (activating retail keys with the help of a VPN is fine, though). If you click through to the package in use on the store, you'll see it has pricing info for every local currency that Steam supports.

Yes and yes. If you click through to the package in use on the store, you'll see it has pricing info for every local currency that Steam supports.

Ohh, so if I buy a game with a specific package for my locale that is also priced in another currency, using a VPN for that currency's locale, I get to play it on my own IP.

However, I suppose exploiting this is bannable and I would be risking my account by trying this?

JaseC

Ohh, so if I buy a game with a specific package for my locale that is also priced in another currency, using a VPN for that currency's locale, I get to play it on my own IP.

However, I suppose exploiting this is bannable and I would be risking my account by trying this?

As long as the package doesn't prohibit your country by way of the onlyallowrunincountries or prohibitrunincountries flags, then, yeah, you can run it without a VPN. But you don't want to use a VPN to cross-region purchase on the Steam Store itself or activate region-locked gifts (keys, on the other hand, are fine -- you just need to be mindful of the aforementioned flags).

Only the allowrunincountries, prohibitrunincountries and purchaserestrictedcountries flags get in the way. The vast majority of store subs, even for new releases, don't have these flags applied as they're no longer necessary. So, if someone in Russia bought, say, Doom from the store, you'd be able to access it with your usual IP as the store sub is universal.
Oh!? Then I totally misunderstood. Nice! Thanks Jase.
Now to find a Russian lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom