• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Sent from my tablet. :p

I care nothing for fighters but Jeff Gerstmann and Austin Walker speak very highly of this. They both wanted to know why it wasn't accepted as a nominee for best fighter at the game awards when there was an available spot.

Coffin of Ashes is released too:

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/546080/?snr=1_620_4_1401_46

A chinese RPG-Maker horror game.

Cmagus

I think I'm gonna finally try Bionic Commando 2009

A lot of people hate on the game but it's one of my guilty pleasures. The game imo is a lot of fun and the swinging mechanics are really good. The story is a bit weak but for $1.99 it's definitely worth a play through.

Dinjoralo

I care nothing for fighters but Jeff Gerstmann and Austin Walker speak very highly of this. They both wanted to know why it wasn't accepted as a nominee for best fighter at the game awards when there was an available spot.

Wow, really? I just shared it because it was a silly looking anime fighter with a ridiculous name, I wasn't expecting a random gem to come in my steam inventory outta nowhere. :p

Tizoc

I think I'm gonna finally try Bionic Commando 2009

Play it on Easy (Commando is what's it is called I think), as the end game enemies are quite irritating and overall the combat isn't that difficult as even on Normal you can take a couple of bullets and still stay alive.
Also recommend injecting AA and the like via NVidia inspector etc.

didamangi

Yes Impulse Triggers do work with the official Microsoft adapter, and they don't work via Blutooth. Also the only games I've had them work in have been UWP games (ReCore, Forza 6 Apex, FH3, and Gears of War 4.) Really lame but that's the way it is.

Yeah it only works with the adapter. Have the adapter on my main PC and it worked. Went on vacation and went over bluetooth on my laptop and got nothing. It is a pretty good feature.

Ah, so the receiver works for it at least.

Really nice feature to have. Maybe Valve can add that to their list for Steam Controller 2.0.

Teeth

I think this is maybe a misunderstanding of what happened. It seems more like people noticed a strange behaviour in the AI that may have been a quirk or may have been intentional, and then in exploring this, noticed from the source comments that actually it seemed to reflect some deeper philosophical thinking on the part of the author, which is kinda weird, and then when they reached out to the developer to ping him on it, he escalated in a weird and hostile way, so they published the article anyway, then the developer melted down, which then called attention to his broader political inclinations, which then escalated and got into the culture war. I don't think it's an ideal outcome.

Did you read his long defense that Grief posted the link to above?

In it, he states that the decompiled code would not have contained any comments and it also wouldn't have had local variable names. He insists that the author of the RPS article put her own variable names on things to try to figure out what was going on and, in his view, created pseudocode out of his decompiled code. He believes this is how her interpretation of the game structure kind of became like setting up tests to prove her own hypothesis.

Additionally, he notes some things (like female pawns not becoming distressed by multiple rebuffed advances) are bugs that will be fixed in the next update. Which could be true or could be a nice coverup of systems that have received scrutiny.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to believe, as I have never done decompiled code diving on other people's products.

TheLight

Has anyone been getting issues of steam freezing (on beta branch) when plugging in a DS4 controller? Sorry if it was mentioned earlier

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What the hell? This came out of nowhere... And look at that bad ass discount. No choice but to buy it.

announced ages ago and came out on PS4, there was even a quicklook on giantbomb for example. Not exavtly "out of nowhere" material :p

game looks super fun and easy to play too, its one of the most tempting anime fighters of the last batch for me

Jawmuncher

Dead Rising 4 impressions so from me are

If you liked Dead Rising 3 you'll like this. So long as no timer doesn't bother you.

Saty

Couple of VR things:

Dean Hall on VR: "There is no money in it"

"From our standpoint, Out of Ammo has exceeded our sales predictions and achieved our internal objectives," Hall explained. "However, it has been very unprofitable. It is extremely unlikely that it will ever be profitable. We are comfortable with this, and approached it as such. We expected to lose money and we had the funding internally to handle this. Consider then that Out of Ammo has sold unusually well compared to many other VR games."

"How are the people who are against timed exclusives proposing that development studios pay for the development of the games?

"There is no money in it. I don't mean 'money to go buy a Ferrari'. I mean 'money to make payroll'. People talk about developers who have taken Oculus/Facebook/Intel money like they've sold out and gone off to buy an island somewhere. The reality is these developers made these deals because it is the only way their games could come out.

"Here is an example. We considered doing some timed exclusivity for Out of Ammo, because it was uneconomical to continue development. We decided not to because the money available would just help cover costs. The amount of money was not going to make anyone wealthy. Frankly, I applaud Oculus for fronting up and giving real money out with really very little expectations in return other than some timed-exclusivity. Without this subsidization there is no way a studio can break even, let alone make a profit.

"Some will point to GabeN's email about fronting costs for developers, however I've yet to know anyone who's got that, has been told about it, or knows how to apply for this. It also means you need to get to a point you can access this. Additionally, HTC's "accelerator" requires you to set up your studio in specific places - and these specific places are incredibly expensive areas to live and run a studio. I think Valve/HTC's no subsidy/exclusive approach is good for the consumer in the short term - but terrible for studios.

HTC launches Vive Studios

HTC has founded Vive Studios, a subsidiary that will publish both internally and externally developed games for the headset.

HTC VP of content Joel Breton is heading up the label, which debuts this week with the launch of its first internally developed effort, Arcade Saga.

"Vive Studios will use a publishing model similar to console games, where the label will produce first-party content through internal developers, such as [Arcade Saga developer] 2 Bears, as well as partner with external developers," the company said. "For external developers, Vive Studios is now a partner they can turn to for development funding as well as publishing and marketing support on VR content. Vive Studios is actively creating content across key categories for VR including games, education, cinematic, design, social, real-estate and sports, as well as tools and applications that can revolutionize areas such as media, retail, healthcare and location-based entertainment centers and arcades."

In an unusual twist for a platform holder, it does not appear that Vive Studios games will be exclusive to the Vive headset by default. Arcade Saga--which unlocks December 10--is currently listed on Steam as supporting the Oculus Rift headset as well as the Vive.

"We believe content should be open and go wherever consumers want to access it," Breton told the site, adding, "We don't feel that they [Oculus] need to lose for us to win."

Dinjoralo

Okay, what the hell? Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara has crazy black lines everywhere when I'm in fullscreen. Time to dig into my driver options, I guess...

Mivey

In it, he states that the decompiled code would not have contained any comments and it also wouldn't have had local variable names. He insists that the author of the RPS article put her own variable names on things to try to figure out what was going on and, in his view, created pseudocode out of his decompiled code. He believes this is how her interpretation of the game structure kind of became like setting up tests to prove her own hypothesis..
Do some Kickstarter peers (or however you call it) get access to the source code, with comments? If not, it is an interesting question.

Still, I agree with Stumpokapow in that it seems this thing is blown way out of proportions. For the dev it would have probably blown over fairly soon. I guess its nice that RPS got some clicks, out of it. With gaming news sites dying left or right, its a wonder how a small professional blog could survive so long.

So eeeh I wanted to play some emulated games so I plugged in my PS3 Controller instead of Steam Controller and it turns out that the latest Steam beta crashes when Xbox Controller is plugged, what are the odds

Grief.exe

It feels like the natural endgame of that thing developing. There's this huge world genned right from the start and you pick one little square out of hundreds. I kinda just want to make one world and colonize and war over the entire planet for what will basically be time immemorial.

Yeah, I saw that planet picture too but never connected the dots. (We can now point to why Dwarf Fortress is over my head. :p )

But in Grief.exe's context, that sounds absolutely amazing.

A persistent save with multiple colonies, whether online or not, would be incredible in the longevity dept. Right now it's just, "Start from scratch, evolve tech to rocket off the planet." Rinse & Repeat.

I LOVE the idea of having a single save where I can bounce around different regions on the globe. Perhaps maintaining multiple colonies at various stages of evolution.

Man, it sure does get you thinking BIG for this game.

tNpRRVB.gif

"Personal attacks are never OK," he says. I want to believe him, but geez.

Again, the update will illucidate a lot.

I think this is maybe a misunderstanding of what happened. It seems more like people noticed a strange behaviour in the AI that may have been a quirk or may have been intentional, and then in exploring this, noticed from the source comments that actually it seemed to reflect some deeper philosophical thinking on the part of the author, which is kinda weird, and then when they reached out to the developer to ping him on it, he escalated in a weird and hostile way, so they published the article anyway, then the developer melted down, which then called attention to his broader political inclinations, which then escalated and got into the culture war. I don't think it's an ideal outcome.

This is what I said at the time the story broke, and I stick to it now:

I really don't get the impression that roving packs of Feminist Source Code Barbarians were looking for a male space to invade and picked this one. It seems like a minor thing that got out of hand due to the dev being super defensive.

He should have just ended the discussion with these points. I can see why he's riled up, but it's obvious that emotion overwhelmed him here.

However, in my email response I said, “You should be aware that there are some bugs in the relationship system in Alpha 15 that are already reported and fixed for Alpha 16. So you’re analyzing a broken system :/ Also, this system is just something slammed together to get the game working in a basic way. It’s just barely functional enough to fill its role. It’s never been intended as any kind of accurate or even reasonable simulation of the real thing.”

The truth of this system is that it is very rough, and that it’s based on research and discussions with various people. I’d be willing to talk about these things, in the context of an honest discussion of hows and whys. This is not that, so I’m not going to try to justify every part of this here.

huhh how about no? Every big publisher goes for the mainstream, that's a given. Ubi, however, is doing much better than most of them. They took all the feedback from their games for Watch Dogs 2 (which is much better in its open world and mission design), the support for Rainbow Six Siege has been amazing and the game is great, both on PC (especially) and on consoles. They gave AC it's well deserved break.

Their ports for a long time have been pretty good on PC, too. Some issues here and there, but far from bad.

They greenlit Beyond Good And Evil 2. For Honor looks amazing. Wildlands looks good fun, especially in co-op.

They have been heading in a great direction. I know that you hate the ~blockbusters, but Vivendi will definitely fuck Ubi and their plans.

I don't see them cancelling projects that are currently in development. BG&E2 might be a possible cancellation anyways as that is so early in development at this point and I get the impression they are targeting far too high of a budget that should be reasonably allotted to that IP.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Did you read his long defense that Grief posted the link to above?

I read it a month ago when it occurred and obviously forgot some of the details wrt the comments, but I maintain my characterization of the entire thing as mostly not being a witchhunt to purge the unbeliever, but rather an odd string that when tugged on caused a pretty substantial unraveling due to his escalation.

Dinjoralo

You mean... scanlines? >_<

No, like crazy lines that jump around the screen and make it look like my monitor's broken.

Had to take a picture because they didn't show up in screenshots. Turning off fast sync gets rid of them, but that leads to another problem: I can't get vsync to work! Turning it on normally in my drivers does nothing.

Oreoleo

Some of the prices aren't great but a few of them are about as low as they are gonna go on there or on steam.I'm surprised DR1 is the most expensive one it doesn't make sense.
Well, DR1 just released on Steam like 3 months ago whereas the others have been on Steam for years. It's only natural that DR1 is more expensive.

I've been looking to buy a Dead Rising game for a while but 1 is always more expensive than 2. Should I just grab 2 or is it better to wait for 1 to drop a bit more (hopefully in the next sale) and play that first?
Story wise it doesn't really matter (though DR3 has some plot points that directly reference DR2 so those two would be better served playing in order), but as with most franchises it might be a little weird playing the sequel before the original since you'll be losing all the QOL improvements when you get around to playing the original. DR1 is totally the best one though so maybe it wouldn't be so bad getting some of the others out of the way first.

Whether you play 2 or 1 first I guess ultimately doesn't matter. They are both really solid and fun games.

Lomax

No, like crazy lines that jump around the screen and make it look like my monitor's broken.

Had to take a picture because they didn't show up in screenshots. Turning off fast sync gets rid of them, but that leads to another problem: I can't get vsync to work! Turning it on normally in my drivers does nothing.

Well you're one step beyond what I could ever get, I've never even been able to successfully make the game run at all.

Nzyme32

Word. The controls definitely take a while to wrap your head around, and I can see some people bouncing off the game because of it. It can be tempting to switch to the "hover" platforms instead of the walkers to try and alleviate some of the tank controls, but stick with it and learn the walkers first; the hover platforms are generally pretty specialized for a few specific purposes and you won't be able to play the whole game with them.

But once you get the hang of it, the game is awesome. Great atmosphere, plays like Future Strike on crack, the lighting effects are ultranuts, great soundtrack, etc.

Yeah absolutely. When this starts to get a bit cheaper, I'm sure people are going to rave a lot more about it. I'm really glad I stuck with the default controls.

I was experimented with SC controls a bit last night. I'll have to start up the story to see how it feels with everything going on at once. I'm testing something where I have W/S on the left touchpad (or stick, whatever), and A/D on the grips. Something feels right with grips and tank controls.

That's a ridiculously good idea! Can't believe I never even thought of that.. and don't think I would have either. I tend to only imagine up relatively similar bindings for what I keep playing when they use similar actions, but games like this really deserve something different - and what you suggest sounds perfect to match that set of tank controls.

Just a heads up Humble Bundle Store just put up a Capcom sale and there are some great prices and most are under $10

Humble Bundle Store Capcom Sale

Ahh, that moment where Dead Rising is more expensive than Dead Rising 2 and 3. Such is the nature of humble and Steam these days!

Dead Rising just released gang. If you can hold on, it might show in a Humble Bundle like the then-recently re(re)
re
-released RE4.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Forced Showdown Champion & Companion skins DLC -- MB-E9CC5B06D0512E45 - Taken by Saty
Minion Masters -- MB-32B2BB50824D291C - Taken by ExoSoul
Forced Pink Armor DLC -- MB-A9B4325AE7D2D914 - Taken by ExoSoul

Dinjoralo with the ultimate scanline.

That has to be a refresh rate thing, right? Like it's too high for the monitor or something.
How is that a personal attack? He doesn't like the article and explains it in a straight forward way. Also, I could totally see him getting a lot of angry mail from people because of this article, which would explain why he wrote so much.

I don't really get why a simplistic video game sim has to be acceptable to any ones understanding of sexual relations. Its just a bit of code, and if you have acess to it, you might even play around with it yourself.

I'm pretty sure Lurker wasn't referencing that as a personal attack. He's saying he wants to believe what the dev says, but when the dev launches into a "scientific" defense of blatant bisexual erasure, it begins to be harder and harder to trust that someone is coming from a good place or just needs the benefit of the doubt.
Accusing someone of purposefully lying does seem like an attack to me, but eh.

Again, I do hope he fixes this out with a patch, but his responses haven't exactly filled me with confidence. Stump's post is rather spot on--it wouldn't have been a big deal at all except for Tynan's nuclear rebuttal.

The saddest part is, in the reddit post, Tynan himself validates the existence of the RPS article by mentioning that players don't notice how the game is coded--and that it is thus working as intended. (Minus bugs, of course.) It's an issue of player-facing game design vs. designer-facing game design that I hope is explored a lot further in the future, for everything, because it is very interesting.

kulapik

Answered the Indivisible Backerkit survey, don't care much about this.

ModBot said:
Instructions for kulapik:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (kulapik, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

How to Survive -- MB-7FDED43CA2B813F8 - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.

So eeeh I wanted to play some emulated games so I plugged in my PS3 Controller instead of Steam Controller and it turns out that the latest Steam beta crashes when Xbox Controller is plugged, what are the odds

Turns out that Steam Controller works flawlessly with no setup with Dolphin and is a great Wii controller to boot o_o

Teggy

Now people are mixing up 4K and 4X

Bundlestars email said:
4K Steam strategy is today's STAR DEAL!

4K space strategy Distant Worlds: Universe is on sale. Get a best ever price on an officially licensed Steam key. But... once they're gone, they're gone!

Parsnip

Finished Darksiders regularstered edition.
What a great game.
Some of the achievements are a bit shit, but already knowing that before I started I was able to manage some of the weapon stuff specifically pretty well and only had to grind for weapon xp for like 20 minutes or something. The unfortunate part of that is that I ended up using the scythe and the gauntlets for the most of the game, and they have less moves than the sword does.
And doing the Dark Rider as the very last thing helped with that a lot. Ended up using the tried and true rubber band method and it popped at some point while I was eating.

Nabs

Turns out that Steam Controller works flawlessly with no setup with Dolphin and is a great Wii controller to boot o_o

It's surprisingly perfect with games that use the wii cursor. Just use a Mouse Region in Steam, and add your mouse to the IR in your Dolphin controller config (right click the IR Up/Down/Left/Right hotkeys, select your mouse, then find Y-, Y+, X-, and X+). It's so good with games like RE4, SMG, and Prime Trilogy.

That's a ridiculously good idea! Can't believe I never even thought of that.. and don't think I would have either. I tend to only imagine up relatively similar bindings for what I keep playing when they use similar actions, but games like this really deserve something different - and what you suggest sounds perfect to match that set of tank controls.

&#128077;&#127997; Let me know how it goes, and if you find something else that works well.

Tapejara

Had to mess around a bunch with Battlefront 2 to get the multiplayer working with Steam Link and BPM. I'm launching the multiplayer through GameRanger, which caused the picture to appear on my monitor instead of my TV. Fixed it by adding GameRanger as a non-Steam game and then launching GR through Steam, but of course the problem being that it now says I'm in GameRanger not BF2. There's an alternate option for BF2 multiplayer called SWBFSpy, so I'm going to install that later and see if I can avoid having to use GR as the middleman.

The game's Steam page says it has partial controller support, but this being a game from 2005 that means there's no default controller layout and I had to manually map each button. A bit tedious because you have to do it four times (infantry, vehicles, starfighters and Jedi), and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to remap the menu button from kb/m to controller, which means if I want to quit a match or change settings I either have to quit the game entirely or go to my PC and do it. The aiming is also a bit stiff on a controller.

Still a lot of fun, but I might stick to playing it at my desk.

Knurek

Anything in particular? I already have Human Fall Flat (cool little game) and the Stealth games.

Pretty much every game there has at least Very Positive reviews on Steam.
I bought 10 Second Ninja, Hue, Manual Samuel, Pumped BMX+ and Human Fell Flat. Very happy, got all of them for &#8364;8.

I played Explodemon a long time ago and found it pretty decent.
Also, the Stealth Basterd serie is really polished.

Yeah, those three are great too - I just already had them. :)

Wok

Anything in particular? I already have Human Fall Flat (cool little game) and the Stealth games.

Pretty much every game there has at least Very Positive reviews on Steam.
I bought 10 Second Ninja, Hue, Manual Samuel, Pumped BMX+ and Human Fell Flat. Very happy, got all of them for &#8364;8.

I played Explodemon a long time ago and found it pretty decent.

Also, the Stealth Basterd serie is really polished.

If you go with what Knurek suggested, you have the most value (price-wise). Personally, I would replace 10 Second Ninja X with another game because I hate the flashing colored screens.

If you enable that option, you save 40 more cents:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom