• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

Honestly, at 30 games for $30, you're unlikely to lose money even if your resell all the keys because you don't want any. It's pretty low risk if you're the kind of person who doesn't mind doing that.

Except the majority of the games so far have no resale value at all. Plus given the (relatively) large volume of bundles being sold right now, supply is going to way outweigh demand substantially. So no, I can't really see it being that safe of a purchase honestly. It's hard enough to flip the lower demand humble monthly games, and those have almost all been never bundled, and this bundle isn't even remotely like that.

(all $30 goes to charity, that's the point)

Anyone making the decision based on charity doesn't really care about the game value anyway and probably bought it day one.

Nzyme32

Is it possible with a click of button on my Dual Shock 4, to open up Steam in BPM? And go open up other software?

Yes?

Guide button opens BPM

As long as you have a desktop config set up, you should be able to use the guide button again by holding for the quick menu and can then minimise BPM and use the desktop. Most configs have the touchpad as mouse. All the options are unsurprisingly in the controller settings of the settings menu

Reminded me of this.
Hitman is the gift that keeps on giving.
https://youtu.be/9kB2RD6-f3s

Yeah, Hitman lives up to its name and is seemingly endlessly amusing in how many thing can go so wrong or so right

Well, here we go:
cuAixgH.png

And game #2,000 is...
Ori and the Blind Forest DE.
12FdSFY.png

Kind of crazy, just about a year ago I hit 1,000 games. 1,000 games added in a year.

Bundles are out of control. Also, I should probably stop adding crappy games to my account just because they have cards.
Spoiler alert: can't stop, won't stop. Send help.

Anno

Dota 2 7.00 goes to test tomorrow after 11+ years of 6.xx. All off the back of an amazing major tournament and a top 5-10 game ever played in pro Dota. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's patch notes more than almost any game ever.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
IndieGameStand's daily deal page has an error:
https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

Could be temporary server hiccup or could be sign the service is winding down--last update was Dec 4th and normally they update it every 3 days, I know the owner has expressed frustration about how hard it is to make a living. Last Tweets were Dec 7th, and those tweets are normally automated.

Edit: it looks like the previous owner sold in September. Can't imagine a new owner would buy the site and immediately shut it down.

I spent a couple hours exploring Hitman's Paris. There are so many things to do. I can see how the micro works like hitting a switch to distract a dude, but I can't get close to the targets in privacy at all. And I really haven't caught on to the plot either.

Well, here we go:
cuAixgH.png

And game #2,000 is...
12FdSFY.png

Kind of crazy, just about a year ago I hit 1,000 games. 1,000 games added in a year.

Bundles are out of control. Also, I should probably stop adding crappy games to my account just because they have cards.

Congrats on the milestone. Ori DE is such a great game too.

BasilZero

Well, here we go:
cuAixgH.png

And game #2,000 is...
12FdSFY.png

Congrats!

I just hit 1000 a week before my 5 year anniversary on Steam :)

DeputyVanHalen

Neo Member
Well, here we go:
cuAixgH.png

And game #2,000 is...
12FdSFY.png

Awesome. Not a bad game for #2000 either.

At my current rate, I'll likely hit 1000 some time in the first half of 2017.

Kevin

Alan Wake box set question:

So I noticed that my Wal-Mart is carrying a box set with Alan Wake and American Nightmare for PC. I was wondering if anyone has purchased this collection and if you could answer a few questions for me:

1. Is the content on disc?
2. Bonus content on disc?
3. Steam key or gog version?

Basically just wanted to know if this set is worth owning for someone who still prefers physical media. Pictures would be nice as well. It's a $20 set.

There are worse games to hit #2000 with.

Amazing game, my 2nd GOTY after Witcher 3

Congrats on the milestone. Ori DE is such a great game too.

Awesome. Not a bad game for #2000 either.

At my current rate, I'll likely hit 1000 some time in the first half of 2017.

Thanks! It's crazy that it took me 6 years to hit 1,000, but only one more year to hit the next thousand.

I mean, most of those are bundle-fodder/card-farmers, but still.

I've been saving Ori to be my 2,000th game, since there really isn't anything super amazing I'm planning on getting any time soon. I didn't want it to be some crappy trading card game. I really enjoyed it when I played it earlier this year (Xbox One version) so I'm looking forward to playing the DE when I get around to it.

Alan Wake box set question:

So I noticed that my Wal-Mart is carrying a box set with Alan Wake and American Nightmare for PC. I was wondering if anyone has purchased this collection and if you could answer a few questions for me:

1. Is the content on disc?
2. Bonus content on disc?
3. Steam key or gog version?

Basically just wanted to know if this set is worth owning for someone who still prefers physical media. Pictures would be nice as well. It's a $20 set.

Wait, there's a physical version of this? Noooo. I've got the Collector's Edition for the 360 version, but had no idea the PC version got a physical release.
Based on what I can gather online, it looks like it's at least partially on-disk, but requires Steam to run (so it likely has a code in there, and you have to download at least some of the files).

Kevin

Thanks! It's crazy that it took me 6 years to hit 1,000, but only one more year to hit the next thousand.

I mean, most of those are bundle-fodder/card-farmers, but still.

I've been saving Ori to be my 2,000th game, since there really isn't anything super amazing I'm planning on getting any time soon. I didn't want it to be some crappy trading card game. I really enjoyed it when I played it earlier this year (Xbox One version) so I'm looking forward to playing the DE when I get around to it.

Wait, there's a physical version of this? Noooo. I've got the Collector's Edition for the 360 version, but had no idea the PC version got a physical release.
Based on what I can gather online, it looks like it's at least partially on-disk, but requires Steam to run (so it likely has a code in there, and you have to download at least some of the files).

Yeah it's probably a barebones set. I kind of wanted it as Alan Wake is one of my favorite games ever (already own the Steam version and Xbox 360 collectors) but wanted a physical PC copy. Trying to decide if I should grab or not.

I recently picked up the awesome looking Quantum Break PC box set for under $25 so that made me happy.

Could be temporary server hiccup or could be sign the service is winding down--last update was Dec 4th and normally they update it every 3 days, I know the owner has expressed frustration about how hard it is to make a living. Last Tweets were Dec 7th, and those tweets are normally automated.

Edit: it looks like the previous owner sold in September. Can't imagine a new owner would buy the site and immediately shut it down.

I felt like the new owner didn't really get the appeal of the site, I liked the old PWYW deals, but recently I'd go to the site and see deals where it's $5 minimum. There were some times where the deal would have a big PWYW banner on it then the actual deal page would have like a $2 minimum.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Mahjong Deluxe 3 -- MB-71ECDF00237B7C43 - Taken by yoshizzle
Ludo Supremo -- MB-64B37AEA5B11645E - Taken by ExoSoul
Puzzles Under the Hill -- MB-F8BE869239006050 - Taken by pantsattack
ABC Coloring Town -- MB-E05E1926C29D64FE - Taken by Costa1774
Mini Golf Mundo -- MB-27399D8BFF4B0CD5 - Taken by ExoSoul

Sch1sm

Well, here we go:
cuAixgH.png

And game #2,000 is...
12FdSFY.png

Congrats. Now tell me you've played some of these 1000 games.

I've actually really slowed my Steam purchases, or Steam key purchases from other places - including bundles. I only passed 300 around the Halloween sale, took over a year to move from 200. I'm also a victim of that currency conversion, though, so it hasn't been difficult to avoid purchasing new stuff.

Ganado

Congrats. Now tell me you've played some of these 1000 games.

I've actually really slowed my Steam purchases, or Steam key purchases from other places - including bundles. I only passed 300 around the Halloween sale, took over a year to move from 200. I'm also a victim of that currency conversion, though, so it hasn't been difficult to avoid purchasing new stuff.

Im kinda like you, except I have 2400 games. I try to keep my list at an higher than average standard. No bundle shit games.

Jimrpg

Honestly, at 30 games for $30, you're unlikely to lose money even if your resell all the keys because you don't want any. It's pretty low risk if you're the kind of person who doesn't mind doing that.

Some games may not sell or take a long time to sell and you can lose money on it.

Fired up Endless Legend and played through the tutorial. A little too much like Fallen Enchantress (which I didn't really get into) and obviously very similar to the Civ games. Considering I may jump into Civ VI I'm going to put EL aside.

Figured I'd try some Might & Magic Heroes VI. I haven't been on the Uplay store in forever so it wants me to setup 2-step authentication and of course it's just churning away after logging in. Sigh... Ubisoft.

Maybe I should go to bed instead.

Huh, Nitroplus Blasterz is way, way more accessible than I expected it to be. Maybe my time with Guilty Gear and BlazBlue games set up the assumption that "anime fighters are fun to watch, but have 500 different interlocking complex systems that make them utterly unplayable casually", but Blasterz seems... pretty straightforward? Not simple per se, and I definitely don't have a handle on strategy, but the core systems and commands seem pretty easy to wrap your head around.

The commands are the usual fireball and dragon punch motions and pretty common across characters, and there's only one charge meter to keep track of and it tends to work the same for everyone (powered up specials take up 1 out of 3 bar chunks, a dial-a-combo chain attack thingy for 2 chunks, or your ultra-mega-super-super for 3 chunks). You've got light/medium/heavy attacks like most fighting games, then a "guard" button for evasion and combo-breaking, and a "super heavy" button for pushing around and crushing through guard. You can whip out a "break out of any combo" thing once a round, and enter a fire-up mode as well that builds meter along with some other stuff as well. It's all... pretty easy to come to grips with?

While there's not many characters, getting to pick 2 support characters adds some fun variety to things (a lot of them just seem like extra attacks at different ranges or heights, but others do wacky stuff like pop out powerups, or fill your meter). At least the game gives you a few "recommended" supports for each char too, which is nice.

I dunno, maybe it's just that i'm coming off the initial "oh god, this is impenetrable" impression from the last BlazBlue, or the new Street Fighter 5's disastrous launch of "we're going to introduce a bunch of new systems, but not actually teach you anything about any of them, or how to even use them", Blasterz seems refreshingly straightforward.

Uraizen

Banned
Huh, Nitroplus Blasterz is way, way more accessible than I expected it to be. Maybe my time with Guilty Gear and BlazBlue games set up the assumption that "anime fighters are fun to watch, but have 500 different interlocking complex systems that make them utterly unplayable casually", but Blasterz seems... pretty straightforward? Not simple per se, and I definitely don't have a handle on strategy, but the core systems and commands seem pretty easy to wrap your head around.

The commands are the usual fireball and dragon punch motions and pretty common across characters, and there's only one charge meter to keep track of and it tends to work the same for everyone (powered up specials take up 1 out of 3 bar chunks, a dial-a-combo chain attack thingy for 2 chunks, or your ultra-mega-super-super for 3 chunks). You've got light/medium/heavy attacks like most fighting games, then a "guard" button for evasion and combo-breaking, and a "super heavy" button for pushing around and crushing through guard. You can whip out a "break out of any combo" thing once a round, and enter a fire-up mode as well that builds meter along with some other stuff as well. It's all... pretty easy to come to grips with?

While there's not many characters, getting to pick 2 support characters adds some fun variety to things (a lot of them just seem like extra attacks at different ranges or heights, but others do wacky stuff like pop out powerups, or fill your meter). At least the game gives you a few "recommended" supports for each char too, which is nice.

I dunno, maybe it's just that i'm coming off the initial "oh god, this is impenetrable" impression from the last BlazBlue, or the new Street Fighter 5's disastrous launch of "we're going to introduce a bunch of new systems, but not actually teach you anything about any of them, or how to even use them", Blasterz seems refreshingly straightforward.

I agree with you, I think nitroplus is just a fun fighter to pick up and play. It's very accessible, easy to pick up and play, and you can have fun without knowing how to do anything complex. Even the "harder" stuff is very easy to do.

Hyper Light Drifter is pretty sweet. That 60fps patch did miracles, because I could not imagine a game this tense being as fun at 30fps. It also isn't an easy game but that's alright because challenges are cool.

Lomax

Well, here we go:
cuAixgH.png

And game #2,000 is...
12FdSFY.png

I actually made my goal this year to *not* hit 2000 games, because I just had too much to play and bundle +1s have never really been all that worthwhile to me. It's going to be close but I think I'll stay under until at least January.

I bought quite a few things from them in the early days, when a dollar per game still seemed like a good deal. Then it became clear everything there was going to get bundled soon after (and now often even before) and so I haven't bought anything in ages now. And their store has always been basically pointless, so yeah, I can't really see how they could be making any money really.

Fired up Endless Legend and played through the tutorial. A little too much like Fallen Enchantress (which I didn't really get into) and obviously very similar to the Civ games. Considering I may jump into Civ VI I'm going to put EL aside.

Figured I'd try some Might & Magic Heroes VI. I haven't been on the Uplay store in forever so it wants me to setup 2-step authentication and of course it's just churning away after logging in. Sigh... Ubisoft.

Maybe I should go to bed instead.

If you didn't get to really experience the questing in Endless Legend then you missed what really sets the game apart.

And I'm pretty sure Heroes VI never got rid of the terrible always-on drm (in addition to the client annoyances) but I don't think Heroes VII has it.

Tizoc

Well... uh that's what they want you to think, Big Podcast is lining their pockets with that money, I'm on to them!
No you're not.
The money gos to charity as even when u get to the splitting of where the $30 you would only see charities.
So if u want to pay $30 for charity and get a few decent games go on ahead

Otherwise you better ACTUALLY spnd $30 during winter seal >:3

Tizoc

$30 is low risk? Well excuse me mr Scrooge McDuck

giphy.gif

edit: damn thats a big gif lol
Read what he wrote, he wrote $30 for 30 games
You are geting at least 30 games for $1 each
And if anyone here is acting all scrooge mcduck-y itd be your post :p

It is possible to sell off a few of them for $5 at bts for example or trade for other cheap games during winter seal

sands of time is pretty good so far, I'm liking all these environment puzzles and platforming, are the 2 sequels good?
Ive read mixed opnions about them but generally their core gameplay is good tho they go more action than adventure. Somebody correct memon this :x

Yeah it's probably a barebones set. I kind of wanted it as Alan Wake is one of my favorite games ever (already own the Steam version and Xbox 360 collectors) but wanted a physical PC copy. Trying to decide if I should grab or not.

It may seem kind of...strange, but if you decide not to get it (or if they have more than one) I'll gladly pay you for the game + shipping + a tip if you would ship it to me. I'm a huge Remedy fan and an even bigger Alan Wake fan, so I'd really like to add it to my collection.

Lomax

The silly thing about the charity bundle is if it was $10 for 30 games, it would sell ten times as much and be getting headlines everywhere and make way way way more money for charity, because it would reach into the market that buys these bundles for the games, not for charity (and let's face it, that's most people). It might also seem worth gambling on if there truly was limited quantity.

As it stands, it's largely full of bundle repeats and the chance that it's going to seem "worth" even the $30 purchase seems minimal without a surprise big name game in the last couple of weeks, and what would be the point of that? That wouldn't be rewarding early adopters, it wouldn't generate more sales than listing it earlier, it would basically just be rewarding people who waited to see if the bundle was worthwhile a justification for doing that.

It is possible to sell off a few of them for $5 at bts for example or trade for other cheap games during winter seal

I honestly don't even see any games thus far that would even sell for $2 on bst, much less $5.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Its still $30. Are you being sarcastic? I cant even tell anymore.

By your reasoning a $200 bundle of 200 games would be fine too.

Then again there once was a time I too posted about spending $30 without a care in the world... good times ;_;

Esit: oh and don't think I didnt notice you not shilling for Nitroplus Blaster, thats like the third anime fighter in a row you dont shill for. What happened to you man?

MUnited83

For you.
The silly thing about the charity bundle is if it was $10 for 30 games, it would sell ten times as much and be getting headlines everywhere and make way way way more money for charity, because it would reach into the market that buys these bundles for the games, not for charity (and let's face it, that's most people). It might also seem worth gambling on if there truly was limited quantity.

As it stands, it's largely full of bundle repeats and the chance that it's going to seem "worth" even the $30 purchase seems minimal without a surprise big name game in the last couple of weeks, and what would be the point of that? That wouldn't be rewarding early adopters, it wouldn't generate more sales than listing it earlier, it would basically just be rewarding people who waited to see if the bundle was worthwhile a justification for doing that.

I honestly don't even see any games thus far that would even sell for $2 on bst, much less $5.
Yeah. A good number of titles you would struggle to even sell for the proposed 1$ per each

PantsuJo

Good, thanks for you opinion, this is one of the games gonna buy asap next sales :D

Wok

You are arguing about a Yogcast bundle.

Nobody cares about the 20% sale on Stephen's Sausage.

There will be patch 7.00 of Dota 2 in 8 hours.

What a time to be alive!

Well everyone knows that Xenus 2 White Gold got released on Steam but I just found out that Precursors got greenlit too. They're both gloriously broken games. Will be fun to pick them up again at some point. Pretty sure both games had Starforce DRM so I'm curious to see if the devs removed it for this release.

Shadow Tactics has been in the top 5 of the US Top Sellers and Global Top Sellers for a few days now

Steamspy says at least 10,000 owners and it hasn't even been a week yet

That seems like a great start for a $40 game in a niche subgenre that's been dormant for decades

The devs said in an AMA that they'd love to do an actual Commandos game and even had tried reaching out about the license in the past. If this is a big success, I hope that's a possibility

Speaking of $30 games for Steam, I want to pull the trigger for the 3 for $30 over at Bamco (particularly Pac-Man CE 2, ToS HD, and God Eater 2) however I can't pull the trigger.

Shadow Tactics has been in the top 5 of the US Top Sellers and Global Top Sellers for a few days now

Steamspy says at least 10,000 owners and it hasn't even been a week yet

That seems like a great start for a $40 game in a niche subgenre that's been dormant for decades

The devs said in an AMA that they'd love to do an actual Commandos game and even had tried reaching out about the license in the past. If this is a big success, I hope that's a possibility

Since the game was released this late in the year, it'll be a slow burn but it's doing great for now. I'm pretty sure there will be a console port announced in the near future thus maybe their wish will come true in getting a Commandos license.

Speaking of $30 games for Steam, I want to pull the trigger for the 3 for $30 over at Bamco (particularly Pac-Man CE 2, ToS HD, and God Eater 2) however I can't pull the trigger.

Since the game was released this late in the year, it'll be a slow burn but it's doing great for now. I'm pretty sure there will be a console port announced in the near future thus maybe their wish will come true in getting a Commandos license.
The console versions are already announced, so yeah the audience will only get bigger

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Speaking of Commandos, I wish Merge would put Strike Force back up on the store. It's been publishing the game on GamersGate for years now but the two e-mails I sent regarding the Steam version both went ignored. :(

Edit: I've sent a message to Merge's Facebook account. Let's see if this goes anywhere.

Tizoc

If it hadn't been posted yet, Bundlestars has a new Build your bundle with some neat games in there, you can either get any one of the games for $1, or up to 8 games for $5
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/prom...418981893&mc_cid=2453e3d158&mc_eid=a77ae0e39d

Interesting games worht getting from here include
Broken Sword 5, Pool Nation, Cook serve delicous, Shadowgate '14, Story about my uncle, Deponia 1, Kingdom Rush

Its still $30. Are you being sarcastic? I cant even tell anymore.
$30 for 30 games
Context matters here, As I wrote above, one issue with getting this bundle, should one get it, is that you're likely to saddled with more games than you actually want.
The issue here isn't the price, it's the content.
Imagine If this game would've had DOOM '16, Civ 6, XCOM 2, CoD: IW, Dragon's Dogma and Tyranny, for example, hell you scrubs would jump on it straight away. Of course that's not the case here.
There are some decent games in the bundle but not worthy enough to drop $30 for charity to get them at this point.

By your reasoning a $200 bundle of 200 games would be fine too.
If it were 200 games in your bloody wishlist, then sure as hell it'd be fine, wouldn't it :p
If Humble puts up such a bundle then at the end of the day, whether it were for charity or not, it'd come down to what games are in it If it has more games that interest me then I could see myself getting it.

It's not about the amount you pay but what you GET from paying
Then again there once was a time I too posted about spending $30 without a care in the world... good times ;_;
You still can, I'm already willing to drop $200+ on stuff this winter seal.
Esit: oh and don't think I didnt notice you not shilling for Nitroplus Blaster, thats like the third anime fighter in a row you dont shill for. What happened to you man?

Why would I shill for Nitroplus? The last 2 fighters I shilled for are Under Night InBirth and Melty Blood. I shill for games I like not just anime fighters in general :v

Most of that would not even sell on BST.

Most of it would be garbage giveaways =p

Then don't sell them and trade them for other $1-2 games from Steam? I traded a game from monthly bundle for another $5 game on Steam with a Gaffer.
Furthermore, this bundle has some decent games, so I don't see why you'd think of them as garbage?
GG XX #R, Psychonauts, Bit.Trip 2, Shadwen, Toy Odyssey
So far that's $30/5 games= $6 each
You can make the argument that they were cheaper during sales and you'd be correct, which is part of the reason a few didn't jump straight in. Should more games that interest someone appear they might be tempted to get the bundle.

However, The issue here would be that you're going to be saddled with more games than you'd really need. This is a reason why I'm not opting for the bundle. It's fine for those who don't have various of the games in the bundle, but if there's nothing in it for you then just leave it be.

Keep in mind though that the $30 you're paying goes to charity and while that's one reason to get the bundle, I still recommend cross checking your wishlist to see if you want those games or not.

Then trade them.
Shadwen was almost $5 during a recent sale.

Not everything in that Yogscast bundle are trash, but I find the setup of the bundle very uncomfortable. Limited bundles, games being revelead after purchase, and as many as 30 games.

At least one of those three aspects of it needs to be changed for me to even consider a purchase, since this feels like it's been setup to "push" people into purchasing it. "Hey, 15-20 games left to reveal, soon sold out, you don't want to miss out do you?".

Now I don't even consider 30+ games bundle purchases either way, since I'm not collecting games on Steam, but it do annoy me a bit the Humble Bundle actually uses this mode. They've had hidden games very often of course, but not with limited stock available.

And the history of Yogscast's involvment with that failed kickstarter in their name doesn't help to sell this particular bundle either.

Yakkue

Speaking of Commandos, I wish Merge would put Strike Force back up on the store. It's been publishing the game on GamersGate for years now but the two e-mails I've sent regarding the Steam version both went ignored. :(

Edit: I've sent a message to Merge's Facebook account. Let's see if this goes anywhere.

How often are you getting replies to inquiries like that? Hope you'll get some feedback soon.

You still can, I'm already willing to drop $200+ on stuff this winter seal.

http://blog.prepscholar.com/how-to-improve-reading-comprehension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom