• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

On a brighter note, I finally started playing the expansions for the Witcher and the first 2 hours of Hearts of Stone destroy every RPG and story driven game I've played this year. If Blood and Wine is better than this then I'm super excited.

It isn't, story-wise at least.
One could argue BaW is better in the gameplay deprartment, especially with the hanse cleanups, but HoS beats it easily when it comes to story. Hell, HoS beats W3 main campaign in that regard.

Mivey

It isn't, story-wise at least.
One could argue BaW is better in the gameplay deprartment, especially with the hanse cleanups, but HoS beats it easily when it comes to story. Hell, HoS beats W3 main campaign in that regard.
It feels like a nice epilogue to the main game. Geralt, after all the hard work in W3, finally relaxing a bit with more traditional Witchering and getting an awesome villa. As such, while not as powerful as story of Olgierd, it feels much more rewarding.

Orgen

Doing the new game+ in Oxenfree emphasizes the slow movements of the game. I didn't get bothered on my first run because it was a "walking + talking" game but on a new game+ the slow walking and the constant backtracking of the game on the second half become annoying.

So I started the Room and... got stucked on the tutorial hahaha I'll need to focus for this game if I want to beat it because yesterday I was a little distracted and didn't find anything :(

Alex_CWB

Endless Space. It's a lark!

FIDS and combat are really dry, but it has a cool world and serious style. Even if you don't dig it much, you can lose a dozen or two hours to it.

Mad Max is repetitive, but beautiful looking game, i recommend to try it. Just don't try to do every sidequest and grind stuff, and you'll be fine.

Downloading both.
Damn, i always try to do as many of the side quests and get all the achievements that i can. :p
If i get bored with MM i will switch to ES.
Cheers!

I was waiting for the winter sale to buy the beamdog enhanced edition games.. then found out that the gog versions come bundled with the originals, so I bit the bullet on that within the last hour. So happy!

ArjanN

Arcsys really fucked up the steam release of Revelator, releasing 6 months late for $50 with a measly 10% discount (10 more if you own Sign!)

Damn... Day one for Revelator is gonna be hard on the wallet. $64.99 for the entire package. Seems like with the cumulative discounting it brings it down to around 53 bucks.

In my opinion the game should have had a base of 40 bucks with all DLC characters freel for the first month and a 10% launch discount. $36 seems like a fair price if you ask me.

I've also got to buy the new DARIUSBURST DLCs this week too.

I agree it probably should have been around 40 bucks because I feel if you go higher than that you're moving out of impulse buying price range.

Still going to buy it because A) I want it, and B) I want to support these games coming to PC.

At least it was only half a year compared to a full year for Xrd SIGN.

Also, Shini tweeted this:
Shini ‏@Shini_Zack Dec 8
For the record, I'm barred from stating details, but we have reasons to believe Steam Revelator will last for a LONG while.

Shini ‏@Shini_Zack Dec 8
I mean at the very _LEAST_ one whole year worth. You can take that as a sales pitch or no, that's up to you.

Which I'm interpreting as meaning there won't be another GG revision/sequel for another year. I'm guessing they're working on something new to replace Blazblue as a series.

Coreda

So I notice steam got rid of *Do Not Keep this game updated option* I reinstall GTA4 and downgraded to 1.04 for ENB/ICE mods, but unlike the past I have to go into offline mode now, otherwise it will update the game..

The offline mode isn't ideal. At some point, for something, you'll need the client in online mode. Be it for installing a different game, some purchase, etc. Boom, it'll detect the update and become unplayable it until it's current. There's no real escape from updates.

Pixieking

Banned
The offline mode isn't ideal. At some point, for something, you'll need the client in online mode. Be it for installing a different game, some purchase, etc. Boom, it'll detect the update and become unplayable it until it's current. There's no real escape from updates.

Easy enough to avoid, that: "Only Update This Game When I Launch It", and make sure you don't launch it in online mode.

abracadaver

Bought BF1 on cdkeys for 35€ and premium also for 35€ on origin with the discount code yesterday.

70€ for the ultimate edition is a good price imo. It was 100€ during the origin sale and its normal price is 120€.

If the game was on Steam I would gladly have paid the full price.

Coreda

Easy enough to avoid, that: "Only Update This Game When I Launch It", and make sure you don't launch it in online mode.

This doesn't work for me. Just tested again now. I have around six games that detected an update, but were set to 'only update when the game is launched', and upon relaunching in offline mode the games—all of them that detected updates were available—fail to play without the update.

Even the 'only update when I launch it' setting isn't reliable. Oniken was downloading an update despite the setting the last two times I launched the client.

It's plain ineffective.

Alex_CWB

I loved Wasteland 2 DC, I highly recommend it.
I have Wasteland 2 installed for a long time. I spent near an hour just creating my char but never started the campaign. Definitely will give it a go soon. :)
I recommend Endless Space and advise you against Mad Max
Too late. :p

=====

ModBot said:
Instructions for Alex_CWB:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Strike Vector -- MB-3CAF84917BFE2EFD - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.

t1481540494z1.png

Pixieking

Banned
This doesn't work for me. Just tested again now. I have around six games that detected an update, but were set to 'only update when the game is launched', and upon relaunching in offline mode the games—all of them that detected updates were available—fail to play without the update.

Even the 'only update when I launch it' setting isn't reliable. Oniken was downloading an update despite the setting the last two times I launched the client.

It's plain ineffective.

Ah, that's a shame. :( Maybe file a bug report/tell Valve? I wouldn't have thought that's how it's supposed to work.

Phinor

Bought BF1 on cdkeys for 35€ and premium also for 35€ on origin with the discount code yesterday.

70€ for the ultimate edition is a good price imo. It was 100€ during the origin sale and its normal price is 120€.

If the game was on Steam I would gladly have paid the full price.

That's a great price if you get into the multiplayer. Premium will keep the game fresh for a solid year+. I thought for me BF1 would be the odd man out between Call of Duty & Call of Duty, BF1 and Titanfall 2. In reality it's the one that I still play daily.

I mean to play Titanfall 2 all the time but at best I launch it few times a week, play exactly one match and I'm done. It's great but it just doesn't have staying power, same issue with Titanfall 1. Also BF4 remained relevant for me up until the launch of BF1 so there's something in the (DICE) Battlefield formula that just works. On the other hand DICE Battlefront lasted roughly the same as both Titanfall games, 10 hours or so.

It's plain ineffective.

Not that it's not stupid to force you to update games, but I think the problem here is that Steam found updates before you went offline. If you install a game and go offline without it checking for an update at all, then it should work. I suppose. I can't imagine it would even be able to know there is an update available in offline mode that way.

Edit: and yes, even if you have "only update when i launch it" checked, it still searches for updates, though I've never had it DL automatically. Maybe it's actually better to use "always keep updated" for games you wanna play offline if you often switch between on-/offline.

Coreda

Not that it's not stupid to force you to update games, but I think the problem here is that Steam found updates before you went offline. If you install a game and go offline without it checking for an update at all, then it should work. I suppose. I can't imagine it would even be able to know there is an update available in offline mode that way.

That post was a response originally a reply above where I mention the problem with this, which is that you will need to be in online mode for various things and when that happens it will detect the updates.

It takes the option out of the hands of those who've paid for the game. If I want to play it now, or just not update it at all (for example the poster above needed a specific version for mods), I'd prefer to have that option. GOG provides it, standalone games used to provide it, and that's why I've moved to buy everything on GOG from now on unless it's exclusively available on Steam.

oipic

The closure of Games Republic is official, as per their tweet of a few moments ago.

The store is now closed, but the site will remain available until the end of January in order for customers to collect keys and whatnot.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight

A bit late, but I feel I should clarify this one.

Rather than having 4 projects planned, I was talking about having received 4 evaluation copies. Evaluation copies are games we're sent to look at, before we decide whether we're going to try and pick them up for release. Sometimes we request them, and sometimes we're sent them to see if we might be interested in a game.

Also if you look at the Tweet I'm replying to in this Tweet, I was saying that I enjoyed one of the evaluation games about as much as the run of games we had on PSP a few years back.

Sorry if I was a bit unclear :)

Tizoc

Rather than having 4 projects planned, I was talking about having received 4 evaluation copies. Evaluation copies are games we're sent to look at, before we decide whether we're going to try and pick them up for release. Sometimes we request them, and sometimes we're sent them to see if we might be interested in a game.

Also if you look at the Tweet I'm replying to in this Tweet, I was saying that I enjoyed one of the evaluation games about as much as the run of games we had on PSP a few years back.

Ah my bad still when can we expect to hear about ghostlight's next pc project?

Really Ross, you should look at the Disaster Report/SOS Escape series. Especially the upcoming one. I'm telling you'd be having something unique here.

So if you got Beholder for free from Indie Game Stand it's been revoked but the publisher is saying in the Steam forums you can email them with your old key for a new one. I don't understand why they would revoke the keys if they're just going to send you a new one.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Ah my bad still when can we expect to hear about ghostlight's next pc project?

No worries, the nature of Twitter leads to things being a bit unclear on there sometimes :)

As for our next project, we've just finished a project for another publisher, http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/agarest-generations-of-war-gets-a-chinese-language-release, and we're also working on a few more projects for someone else to publish, so we've got plenty on our plate, but I'm hoping to be able to announce the next one we're going to publisher ourselves early next year.

How long it will be depends on how long it takes to get all the contracts sorted.

Really Ross, you should look at the Disaster Report/SOS Escape series. Especially the upcoming one. I'm telling you'd be having something unique here.

I will look into it when I get a bit of time :)

Kaleinc

Banned
So if you got Beholder for free from Indie Game Stand it's been revoked but the publisher is saying in the Steam forums you can email them with your old key for a new one. I don't understand why they would revoke the keys if they're just going to send you a new one.
To revoke new ones too.

madjoki

To make it harder for resellers, I guess?

Dinjoralo

I am absolutely skipping Xrd Relevator. Sign didn't gel with me very much, and full price with none of the DLC console players got for free is just not treating PC players fairly.

PantsuJo

No worries, the nature of Twitter leads to things being a bit unclear on there sometimes :)

As for our next project, we've just finished a project for another publisher, http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/agarest-generations-of-war-gets-a-chinese-language-release, and we're also working on a few more projects for someone else to publish, so we've got plenty on our plate, but I'm hoping to be able to announce the next one we're going to publisher ourselves early next year.

How long it will be depends on how long it takes to get all the contracts sorted.

I will look into it when I get a bit of time :)
Thanks for your answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom