• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Xapati said:
Can anyone tell me if Heroes of Might and Magic 5 runs on Vista? I've always had a soft spot for that series.
Yeah, it runs fine. On x64 vista anyway.

Actually, that's the boxed version-- not from steam. But probably no difference.

Zzoram

YYZ said:
My card keeps getting declined even though I bought something recently. I keep trying, but Valve won't take my money.

Try again in a day. I sometimes have problems buying stuff on Steam during the AM hours (EST).

Oreoleo

Pulled the trigger on Crysis Warhead, Deus Ex and the Unreal Deal Pack. I sorta feel bad spending my money so nonchalantly but dammit Steam makes it too easy for me to give it away.

Yeah, Defense Grid is really good. The price and the colon had me kinda nervous but I'm glad I got it. I'm a late comer to this tower defense business but I'd say it's the best of the half or dozen or so retail TD games I've played in the last year! It's also got more character than you'd expect from the screens, just cuz you've got a gay little British AI narrating the entire thing. And that's really cliche, but it's a cliche I kinda like.

Trials 2 kinda reminds me of the BMX mode in California Games. Because I suck so bad at both and I keep killin' my dude in really painful lookin' ways.

I think I bought every 99 cent game they had. Which was probably stupid. I don't even like Bejeweled. But...99 cents!

Have they ever had Deus Ex as a weekend deal? I'd like to buy it on DD but I'm not paying 10 bux. At least not on Steam. C'monnnn GOG.

Compass

Banned
theinfinityissue said:
Sigh, trying my best to get Fallout 3 at the ten bucks off, but it just won't take my card. Steam's always been like that for me tho, always insisting that some minor detail about my info is off, and it's the only place online to do so. I'm sure that level of security is great, but man is it frustrating to deal with.

I had my Amex card rejected yesterday, but Steam wasn't specific as to why. I have Alerts turned on through my bank, so I checked my email, and yep, I had a notification that my card had just been used (unsuccessfully) outside the country. It seems Steam is charging through the Netherlands?

Whatevs, I just used Paypal instead.

GameGamer

itxaka said:
you can use paypal with steam???? If true, I'm fucked. Too many games and too easy to buy with paypal.

Yes you can use paypal. I am holding out for gift cards like the Xbox Live Cards, PSN Cards, Wii Cards, ITunes cards, etc.

When Steam has something like that I will jump in.

itxaka

Defeatist
GameGamer said:
Yes you can use paypal. I am holding out for gift cards like the Xbox Live Cards, PSN Cards, Wii Cards, ITunes cards, etc.

When Steam has something like that I will jump in.

Yes, I just discovered it....and bougth Runaway 2.....damn, it's so easy...

RJT

Compass said:
I had my Amex card rejected yesterday, but Steam wasn't specific as to why. I have Alerts turned on through my bank, so I checked my email, and yep, I had a notification that my card had just been used (unsuccessfully) outside the country. It seems Steam is charging through the Netherlands?

Whatevs, I just used Paypal instead.
I had the same problem. I contacted Steam support and they said: "The lock on your credit card has been removed - you will be able to purchase an additional subscription."

I haven't tried it again though. The problem is I use a unique credit card generator provided by my bank for each online transaction, and if I have to clear each card with Steam I'll be pissed... Now we Europeans have to ask politely in order to be raped?

I bought Bioshock and Civilization IV last night, looking at buying the Darwinia pack also. *Might* buy Deus Ex. Though my credit card got declined when I tried to buy multiple games at a time last night, had to buy the games individually. I'm really happy anyways, so much gaming goodness for such a low price.

FSLink

Banned
Valve Complete Pack - $74.99
Includes: Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic, Half-Life: Opposing Force, Ricochet, Half-Life, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Portal, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Peggle Extreme
Well I know what I'm buying.
Maybe it was a good thing I didn't have the money for it last year, since now Left 4 Dead's on this thing. :D

Yeah, I must be one of the only poor losers who doesn't actually own any of these games....played them at friend's houses, but haven't bought them yet due to funds.

(Except Peggle Extreme which came with my Nvidia card on one of my computers. And bought Half Life 1 for $0.99 not too long ago)

Also, might as well pick up Garry's Mod for $9.00.

RJT

Just bought CS Source and apparently no more credit card issues. I recommend you guys to contact their support.

I'm pissed that I bought Bioshock for 13€ at play.com for Christmas (given the choice, I prefer games on Steam than boxed copies). I was going to order CoD4 for 20€ and now I'm scared of a potential deal. Damn you Steam, and your awesome deals!

I think I'll just buy Rainbow Six 3 Gold for 3,74€. Trying to send a message like the guy in the other thread (if you're listening, Ubi, the message is: I want your old games on Steam for under 5€! At least under 10€, ok? Thanks)

What are the main differences between Peggle Extreme and Peggle Deluxe?

Also: I'd like a fun, easy to get into, pick up and play strategy game that fits shorter window of playtime: GOOO!

EDIT: wait, I have Peggle Extreme, but it's only 10 levels or some such. I figured I had the demo of Peggle Extreme, but I think it's a just a demo in truth.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
gregor7777 said:

Also: I'd like a fun, easy to get into, pick up and play strategy game that fits shorter window of playtime: GOOO!

EDIT: wait, I have Peggle Extreme, but it's only 10 levels or some such. I figured I had the demo of Peggle Extreme, but I think it's a just a demo in truth.

I wouldn't recommend Civ because of the easy to get into part but its turn based so it can somewhat fit into the shorter window part, and its fun.
Company of Heroes is pretty easy to get into. If you've played a resource based RTS then you could feel right at home with it.

By shorter window of playtime are you talking singleplayer or multiplayer? Like play a couple games before having to pick the kids up or something to play while you should be working?

gregor7777 said:

Extreme is basically a demo, nothing more.

zombieshavebrains said:
I wouldn't recommend Civ because of the easy to get into part but its turn based so it can somewhat fit into the shorter window part, and its fun.
Company of Heroes is pretty easy to get into. If you've played a resource based RTS then you could feel right at home with it.

By shorter window of playtime are you talking singleplayer or multiplayer? Like play a couple games before having to pick the kids up or something to play while you should be working?

Well, I've played both CoH and Civ4. I;m thinking something more off the beaten path.

By short playtime window, I mean a game, be it multiplayer or local, could fit into a 30 minute play session or so.

I can usually sit down to play games for 30-60 minutes, then be distracted by kids or some such. Makes for a poor multiplayer experience, because I always feel like I need to quit.

Grimm Fandango said:
Extreme is basically a demo, nothing more.

Figured so, I do have that then. I'll be definitely buying Deluxe.

RJT

gregor7777 said:
Well, I've played both CoH and Civ4. I;m thinking something more off the beaten path.

By short playtime window, I mean a game, be it multiplayer or local, could fit into a 30 minute play session or so.

I can usually sit down to play games for 30-60 minutes, then be distracted by kids or some such. Makes for a poor multiplayer experience, because I always feel like I need to quit.
People have been praising Defense Grid. I haven't played it, but Tower Defense games sound exactly like what you want.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Bastards wont accept my Debit card. Used it before....

Keep getting some message declined by credit card company. Which has never happened before and i know i have the cash on it :(

Metalic Sand said:
Bastards wont accept my Debit card. Used it before....

Keep getting some message declined by credit card company. Which has never happened before and i know i have the cash on it :(

I had my Paypal account denied, only to be accepted after a second try. This was last week some time.

gregor7777 said:

Figured so, I do have that then. I'll be definitely buying Deluxe.

get peggle nights while you're at it.

painey

I can't even comprehend Bioshock for £4.. it boggles the mind. If I didnt already have the 360 version i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Mrbob

King's Bounty game developed by the same people who made Space Rangers 2? If so I am grabbing the game in the future since I love SR2.

LaneDS

Thanks for the heads up, bought BioShock. Wonder how enjoyable it'll be with the twists long since spoiled for me.

Hitmeneer

Must ... Resist....

Defense Grid, Unreal Deal Pack, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War Complete Pack .... to many good deals. If it wasn't for the stupid 1 Euro - 1 Dollar issue, I probably ordered 1 or 2.

Benedict

Company of Heroes
5,99 EUR
Reaxxion
0,79 EUR
Trials 2: Second Edition
1,99 EUR

Total
10,97 EUR
------------------------

Sid Meier's Pirates!
5,99 EUR
Heroes of Might and Magic 5
5,99 EUR

Total
14,98 EUR
-------------------------
Bioshock (EU)
3,99 EUR

Total
4,99 EUR
-------------------------
Luxor 2
0,79 EUR
Bejeweled Deluxe
0,79 EUR

Total
1,98 EUR

The price per game is cheaper than stated on the Steam-store but the total matches the price on the store.
What part of the price is not stated on my receipts?
I live in Sweden.

Any way of only installing Company of Heroes?
CoH: Opposing Fronts is pre-loaded at the same time as CoH is installed.
When I uninstall CoH: Opposing Fronts, even Company of Heroes is removed...
Any way of making this not happen?

epmode

Benedict said:
Any way of only installing Company of Heroes?
CoH: Opposing Fronts is pre-loaded at the same time as CoH is installed.
When I uninstall CoH: Opposing Fronts, even Company of Heroes is removed...
Any way of making this not happen?
Nope. It's done this way for multiplayer reasons. That way you can play against any faction, even if you don't actually own the expansion. The multiplayer community doesn't fracture, everybody wins.

Mohonky

I only purchased Bioshock and wouldn't you know it, it's broken.

Everytime I goto the Graphics setup and change the resolution to my native (1680x1050) it just goes back to windows and leaves Bioshock on the start bar or locks the game up entirely.

I'm running through steam on a Vista 32bit system with C2D @ 2.2ghz, 3gb DDR2 and 8800GT. All drivers are up to date etc.

I hate whinging about this shit but this is kind of why I avoid PC gaming. Spending the first few hours just getting the thing to run :(

toxk_02

Black Republican
I have a quick gifting-related question. If I join a community group, can I send a gift to anyone in the group or do I need to have the recipient directly listed as a friend?

This is for a Secret Santa and I'm trying to get around adding the person as a friend and ruining the surprise before the games are gifted. Someone will suggest I just use their email address to send the gift, currently I don't have it so I'm trying this way first.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
gregor7777 said:

world in conflict seems to fit this criteria, have you tried it yet?

Xapati

gregor7777 said:

Also: I'd like a fun, easy to get into, pick up and play strategy game that fits shorter window of playtime: GOOO![/B]

Dawn of War. Games last between 5 and 20 minutes.

Company of Heroes is by the same dev, but I'll take religious, fanatic space marine zealots with lines such as "eat boltgun!" over WWII soldiers any day.

Mohonky said:

Everytime I goto the Graphics setup and change the resolution to my native (1680x1050) it just goes back to windows and leaves Bioshock on the start bar or locks the game up entirely.

I'm running through steam on a Vista 32bit system with C2D @ 2.2ghz, 3gb DDR2 and 8800GT. All drivers are up to date etc.

I hate whinging about this shit but this is kind of why I avoid PC gaming. Spending the first few hours just getting the thing to run :(

You just need to install the patch... This was fixed a long time ago along with the fov fix. Do you have the newest drivers?

The Chef

Got the first STALKER last night and played for a few hours. Wow what a great game. I highly recommend getting it. And under $20 is a steal.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Mohonky said:

browse the bioshock.ini file and find the two entries:

FullscreenViewportX=1024
FullscreenViewportY=768

and change them to your desired resolution.

edit: this was the old fix, perhaps it's been patched by now.

hie

i was thinking about picking up Mount & Blade for full price a week ago...but forgot. glad i did. well worth the $15, it seems.

YYZ

Anyone getting the X-Com games? I did some research and only the first three seem to be good:

UFO Defense
Terror From the Deep
Apocalypse

The other ones are bad or just garbage according to reviews and they aren't the same game as the first three. The price of the pack is only $.02 more than the three I listed so it doesn't matter much.

Proc

it begins...

figured I'd start with the indie titles first:

15pmy5v.jpg

Ok...so if I wanted to give my CoH discs to a friend, and then rebuy it for myself off Steam, could I still use my current Relic Online account (keep my stats, etc)?

Althane

I would get Audiosurf, but the problem is I'm running this all on Crossover Games, and since it couldn't access my 20-odd gigs of music (not a ton, I know...), there wouldn't be a point.

Makes me wish that Steam supported OS X.

Crossover Games, luckily, supports Valve. TF2 here I come!

Edit:

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

Or. Not. Dammit.

Althane

So is it a Visa-Only credit card problem?

Or is the problem with Steam itself? I.E: WIll I be able to do it later tonight (when the traffic dies down some, I'm guessing), or will it be stuck until Valve fixes the Visa problem?

<<

Paypal might just save the day!

Proc

Althane said:
So is it a Visa-Only credit card problem?

I'm not sure exactly. I was getting an error that was saying that my address was wrong. I tried typing it every which way but with no luck. No idea to be honest. I just bought stalker: SoC the other week with my cc just fine.

Althane

Ah, see, mine just tells me that there's an error updating/initializing my transaction. Which makes me think it's the Steam Store screwin' up.

YYZ

wow, I cannot complete my purchase at all. Tried like 10 times. I don't want to go through this stupid convoluted support system. I'm using Mastercard BTW.

I just purchased Civ IV Complete, Bioshock, and Defcon a little while ago. I'm thinking about Trackmania, but wasn't that FREE for a short time earlier in the year? I just missed it. :(

Corum

I'm just about to buy Bioshock (obvious choice) but I'm unsure about Prince of Persia, I haven't read up to much about the gameplay although I love the art style, any words of advice?

Top Bottom