• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
zombieshavebrains said:
Yeah just Dooms. Is Final Doom just like a Doom 2 expansion?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Doom

Two fan-made level packs using content from Doom II, but were "officially" released as a standalone Doom product for the PC and PlayStation. MUCH harder than the original two, though. These were made by hardcore Doom guys back in the day, and they're even worse now since no one plays Doom as much as they did in the mid 90's.

And if we're being really strict on Doom games between Doom II and Doom 3, there's Doom 64 to consider, though in the context of Steam that's a bit of a moot point.

rkenshin

I bought the Prince of Persia trilogy..

Borrowed PoP Next Gen from my friend and enjoyed it but not enough to warrant a purchase so purchased the three games seperately..

If only Prince of Persia 1 HD was included in the pack I would actually go for that

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Okay. Company of Heroes Gold or the Relic Super Pack?

Also, are the Titan Quests worth 40 bucks?

YYZ

Is the foreign version of The Witcher better since it has no censorship? I really can't stand censorship, even if it's something small like that.

boobs

Proc

YYZ said:
Is the foreign version of The Witcher better since it has no censorship? I really can't stand censorship, even if it's something small like that.

boobs

I believe patches will put the original nudey content in the game. A simple google search brought me to a website that host pervey nudey patches for various games. The below link shouldn't be viewed at work.

***nsfw******nsfw*** http://www.nakedskins.com/Overview/p13_sectionid/13/p13_fileid/13***nsfw******nsfw***

I was debating getting it as well, but I think the boxed copy comes with some decent geek shwag.

Althane

oh god there went my paycheck and all the money from christmas.

T_T

Man, that's just.. .awesome.

Witcher. Hell, can't even play it on the computer I'm using right now. But still. $30. Damn.

TF2. CAN Play. Will be playing tomorrow. Well, today.

Pretty sure you can just mod back in the boobs if that's your thing.

Have some free time and a clean gaming slate? Relic super pack because Dawn of War is a really badass game. Busy and have a big backlog of good stuff? COH Gold and grab Dawn of War 2 when it comes out in two months.

I think you can do better than TQ w/ expansion than $40, right? It's $15 for both here in the US.

ampere

At $5 I'm so tempted to double-dip on Bioshock. (Have the 360 version)
Also probably going to get Blue Shift and Opposing Force. $1 a piece is just too good of a deal.

edit:
World of Goo is $15, same as the price on the Wii.
There goes my excuse for not buying it. Sold

YYZ

Proc said:
I was debating getting it as well, but I think the boxed copy comes with some decent geek shwag.
I have that too (the UK SE I think, huge box), but I'll just use mounting software. I'd rather get it through Steam, but if it can't be "complete", even through patches, then forget it. It's also $30 extra I have to spend.

Yikes, I-fluid is a mess.

Does anyone know if there any plans to bring King's Bounty to Steam or Impulse? Its on GG but I cannot tell what DRM it is using. Plus, googling it makes the DRM situation all the more confusing due to different versions and patches.

Slavik81

ghst said:
can someone explain why in HOLY HELL this isn't mandatory on all pc releases by now?
The fewer stupid 'manditory' things that are imposed on developers the better. XBLA does a lot of that and it ruins so many games by forcing stupid title screens, pointless menus and achievements into them. Castlevania SotN is awesome, but every single new thing in the game added because of mandatory requirements does nothing but detract from the experience.

TheOneGuy said:
Telltale's DD service is perfectly adequate. It may not be as convenient, since you have to go to the Telltale website, login, and download the installer... but in no way does it "suck", even in comparison.
There's at least 2 companies involved in purchasing a game from Telltale online and you have an account with each of them. It's less than ideal.

dork

Banned
Htown said:

Also, are the Titan Quests worth 40 bucks?

company of heroes, no question

so anyone-red orchestra worth 7.50?

Rlan

Downloaded my UT2004. A shame that there are few Aussie servers around :(

Also I seem to get a crash after a few minutes into the game. Screen goes entirely brown and I can't do anything but reset the machine. I have a Radeon 4870 and I think this has happened with Counter Strike Source and regular Half Life 1 (not source) and a few other games as well. Is this a problem with Direct 3D or something?

Any help would be fantastic.

Kritz

Banned
evlcookie said:
What aussie isp are you with?

I'm currently with iPrimus. They're terrible, but at my location in Tasmania there aren't really any better choices. 20GB cap at 1.5mbps. I've downloaded 15000mb this month, and while Steam doesn't say how much WaW's download size is, I believe it's around 5GB. So I'll be cutting it close.

On the bright side if you do go over, it won't restrict your download speed until midnight. Which means that I can download 50GB in a day (if only that was possible) and keep going at my normal speed until it hits midnight, or until I reconnect to the internet.

I spent $120 aud on games on Steam just then. Saved about $40 compared to retail. I love Steam.

EDIT: I was going to buy UT2k4 too. Lack of Australian servers? :( maybe I won't.

CabbageRed said:
Did ID add widescreen support to Doom 3?

adding proper support for 16x9 resolution:

This method assumes you have the latest patch. It involves setting a game var that did not exist in the earliest retail versions.

Go to <gameDir>\base, and edit DoomConfig.cfg.

Find these lines:

seta r_customHeight "xxx"
seta r_customWidth "xxxx"

Change the x's to set your resolution. Now find this line:

seta r_mode "x"

Change the "x" to "-1".
Find this line:

seta r_aspectRatio "x"

If your screen aspect ratio is 16:9, change the "x" to "1".
If your screen aspect ratio is 16:10 or 15:9, change the "x" to "2".

As with any .ini solution, if you cannot find any of these lines in your DoomConfig.cfg file, just add them in manually.

pilonv1

Rlan said:
damnyousteam.png

Damn you Steeeeeeeeeam!

Looks like my basket but with Hinterland

psy18

I've played lots of FPS but even now still can't play those dos fps games without throwing up every 5 minutes. :mad:)~
Help? (Doom 2)

dork said:
so anyone-red orchestra worth 7.50?

It's really a fantastic game, but there are so very few servers and I'm rarely able to get a decent ping on any of them.

One of the best multiplayer FPSes ever when you can find a game - heavy emphasis on realism though which is a turn-off for some.

itxaka

Defeatist
Damn I bougth Bioshock and portal even when I already own them on the 360 and my PC can't run them D:

Stupid cheap prices D:

Slavik81

I bought 2 copies of Peggle Deluxe and 2 copies of World of Goo. I know they'll run on whatever computer my friends have. Bioshock and Portal are awesome, but they don't run on 2-year-old integrated laptop video cards.

Two of the games I really want are fucking locked; The Witcher and Bioshock.

Atari and take two can both eat my rancid ass-vomit.

Jerks.

Proc

psy18 said:
I've played lots of FPS but even now still can't play those dos fps games without throwing up every 5 minutes. :mad:)~
Help? (Doom 2)

Try with 3-d goggles? I'm sorry to hear that cause doom 2 should be experienced by all. All I can think of doing is try moving at a slow pace, without trying to rotate the camera very hastily.

Do you think its to do with the levels of terrain? I think doom 1's level design was more flat if I remember right. Maybe try that for your doom fix.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
pilonv1 said:
Any views on I-Fluid or Defense Grid?

I only tried I-Fluid, and it wasn't fun. What I played was pretty but the mechanics were ass. They are always pushing this game for next to nothing, I would pass.

zaxor0

If anyone wants to play their steam versions of Doom, Doom 2, or Heretic online, I just tested it and it works with ZDaemon.

http://www.zdaemon.org/

if you install it all you need to do after making a login name is

1. Settings > Directories > WAD Directories
2. for doom: Browse to and add the directory called "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\ultimate doom\base"
3. for doom2: Browse to and add the directory called "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 2\base"
4. for Heretic: Browse to and add the directory called "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\heretic shadow of the serpent riders\base"

EDIT: also if there is a pwad listed for a server (its a column on the server list) youll have to download it. There is an automatic utility to download it when you join the server.But if it is blank your fine. If the utility can't find it (unlikely) then here is the site for pwads if you need one: http://hs.keystone.gr/lap/

pilonv1

Musashi Wins! said:
I only tried I-Fluid, and it wasn't fun. What I played was pretty but the mechanics were ass. They are always pushing this game for next to nothing, I would pass.

Disappointing.

How about Defense Grid then?

Darklord

Banned
I just got world of goo.

...it only runs at 800x600? Please tell me I'm missing a setting or something here. It looks so bad! Even 1024x768 would be nice.

Find the game folder in steamapps/common then go to the Properties folder and edit config.txt.

My desktop resolution is 1680x1050, but if you set the game that high some of the screen elements get shifted into weird places, like the continue button when you finish a level.

Right now I've got it set to 1280x960, but I run it in Windowed mode (Alt-Enter) so it doesn't stretch out like crazy.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Fragamemnon said:
Have some free time and a clean gaming slate? Relic super pack because Dawn of War is a really badass game. Busy and have a big backlog of good stuff? COH Gold and grab Dawn of War 2 when it comes out in two months.

I think you can do better than TQ w/ expansion than $40, right? It's $15 for both here in the US.
Sorry, I meant 14. Don't know why I wrote 40.

I'm proooobably not going to be able to play Dawn of War 2 on my computer.

YYZ said:
The native res of World of Goo is that low? Fuck, he didn't even make it 16:10?

Well, the Wii's maximum resolution is somewhere in the vicinity of 800x600 (854x480 or something like that for 16:9 games, not sure if WoG is 16:9 on WiiWare though). Would have been nice but I can see why they didn't do it.

Darklord

Banned
BigKaboom2 said:
Find the game folder in steamapps/common then go to the Properties folder and edit config.txt.

My desktop resolution is 1680x1050, but if you set the game that high some of the screen elements get shifted into weird places, like the continue button when you finish a level.

Right now I've got it set to 1280x960, but I run it in Windowed mode (Alt-Enter) so it doesn't stretch out like crazy.

Thanks. I upped it up to 1024x768 and it looks much better now with no stretching. Why didn't he just has it as that in the first place? This isn't 1997.

neight

Banned
rofl Portal and Darwinia are a blast. The humor in Portal is awesome(oh yea, there's the revolutionary gameplay too). Darwinia is cute and a really nice touch is everytime you start it up you get a different intro(good thing I decided against playing the game all in one sitting).

Proc

neight said:
rofl Portal and Darwinia are a blast. The humor in Portal is awesome(oh yea, there's the revolutionary gameplay too). Darwinia is cute and a really nice touch is everytime you start it up you get a different intro(good thing I decided against playing the game all in one sitting).

That reminded me to get around to trying the darwinia demo. I was really impressed by it. Definitely picking it up for $4.99.

I haven't heard a single person speak ill of Defense Grid, which for a genre so overplayed as tower defense, probably means that it rocks. I'm going to pick it up.

One of the the best things about this sale is seeing the orgy of spending in the steam blotter and seeing that some of the people on your friends list have good taste!

YYZ

Anyone here played PixelJunk Monsters and Defense Grid? I loved PJM, even made some walkthrough videos for it.

Exodu5, I just read your review in your thread and I'm getting it now. You sold me! Especially since you've played PJM as well.

Can players create and upload their creations for others to play? This is a PC game so the u/l and d/l of good maps would be great. I realize quality would be an issue, but with a community of dedicated players, many good maps will be made.

Chris R

Ok, so far I'm thinking of picking up Civ4, Witcher, and Bioshock, but with my main Christmas present this year being an Eee, I wonder if there are any great games that would run on a netbook like the Eee. I already have audiosurf, and that barely runs, so that should give you an idea of the speed this thing runs at.

Proc

rhfb said:
Ok, so far I'm thinking of picking up Civ4, Witcher, and Bioshock, but with my main Christmas present this year being an Eee, I wonder if there are any great games that would run on a netbook like the Eee. I already have audiosurf, and that barely runs, so that should give you an idea of the speed this thing runs at.

Well I'm super lttp for Darwinia and Uplink. Maybe you should check those out as well?

Rlan

I haven't played Defense Grid (A demo would be nice, or waiting for the XBLA release) but PJM is a different kind of DTT game, what with the coin collecting and the actual character moving around.

Zzoram

YYZ said:
Anyone here played PixelJunk Monsters and Defense Grid? I loved PJM, even made some walkthrough videos for it.

Exodu5, I just read your review in your thread and I'm getting it now. You sold me! Especially since you've played PJM as well.

Can players create and upload their creations for others to play? This is a PC game so the u/l and d/l of good maps would be great. I realize quality would be an issue, but with a community of dedicated players, many good maps will be made.

Well, only Warcraft 3 Battlechest will get you a ton of TDs with user created maps regularly released.

YYZ

My card keeps getting declined even though I bought something recently. I keep trying, but Valve won't take my money.

Proc

Just a warning to everyone: STALKER: Clear Sky has a 5 machine (i.e. changing gfx card) install limit attached to it via the steam version. It seems like the retail one does not so you might be better off waiting for that one to come down in price if you are worried about TAGES drm.

I'm not trying to stir up shit and derail this thread into a drm discussion. Just trying to give a heads up because I noticed this before going to the checkout and it has made me reconsider my purchase (I have like a week to ultimately decide so it's all good).

Top Bottom