• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

M3wThr33

Banned
Also, if you're a dick and $35 is too much for the awesomeness of the iD Super Pack, Ultimate Doom is 99 cents.

99 GOD DAMN CENTS for one of the best games of ALL time.

duffey

I have myself at a 40 dollar-ish limit so I picked up the following:

Bioshock, Dawn of War Platinum, Luxor 2, Heavy Weapon Deluxe, Flatout UC, Unreal Tournament 3. Good times!

edit: wtf I forgot Trials 2 so that is now bought.

Doytch

Atilac said:
do the expansions add enough to civ 4 to warrant getting the complete pack?

Beyond the Sword adds quite a bit. I'd say it's worth it for 10 bucks. Know that Beyond the Sword includes the stuff from Warlords though, so you're not really getting a game for free.

Atilac said:
do the expansions add enough to civ 4 to warrant getting the complete pack?

Beyond the Sword absolutely does. Once you get done with the core game you can try out Fall from Heaven 2 with BTS installed, which is basically the gateway drug to the Civ modding scene, which is enormous.

Proc said:
Is x3 any good? $27 for the complete experience seems decent to me

I love it, although the campaign is a chore and tends to avoid all of the cooler elements of X3's gameplay. I just treat it like a sandbox game, starting off capturing pirate ships for quick cash, and eventually setting up networks of space stations with a small fleet of trade ships to keep the wheels turning. Unfortunetly, I'm not sure what game to compare it to. Privateer-meets-Railroad Tycoon, maybe?

Crateman

So I used some of the money I got from Christmas and I bought the Valve Complete Pack. I'm on the verge of building a PC and this is going to be great way to inaugurate it. Although I already had The Orange Box for the 360, I fully intended to buy it for PC and play it the way it was meant to... I'll trade-in my 360 copy and buy something nice later.

And I can't fucking wait to play Left 4 Dead! I downloaded the 360 demo and I loved it... hell, buying a single copy of Left 4 Dead for the 360 here is 5 bucks more expensive than what I payed for the 22 Valve games!

Thanks Valve, you fucking rock!

Varna

Holy!

How long has Jagged Alliance 2 been on Steam!?

Does this game have any funky problems with modern machine (multiple cpus, etc?) if, not I'm totally getting it.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Man it's more sensible to get the thq pack now but I really want deus ex... :( Tough decisions.

It's hard to go wrong with the Eidos pack. I grabbed it some time ago since I was eyeing enough the games individualy to make the $100 a bargain. Hitman [x], Thief 2, TR, Deus Ex, and Battlestations were what I was after, I now I have the Commandos series waiting around for me to hit a dry spell.

Ok my current list is:

Bioshock
Luxor 2
Trials 2
Multiwinia+Darwinia
Unreal Pack
Prince of Persia Pack
THQ Pack
Reaxxion

Any suggestions to trim the fat? That comes to $162 :(

Doytch

Varna said:
Holy!

How long has Jagged Alliance 2 been on Steam!?

Does this game have any funky problems with modern machine (multiple cpus, etc?) if, not I'm totally getting it.

I had horrible problems with it, went on the forums, found out others did too, and Strategy First had no plans for fixing them. You can check again, see if there's people playing it now, though, since that was probably one/two years ago. I wasn't so pissed cause it only cost 5 bucks for that and Disciples II.

Varna

Doytch said:
I had horrible problems with it, went on the forums, found out others did too, and Strategy First had no plans for fixing them. You can check again, see if there's people playing it now, though, since that was probably one/two years ago. I wasn't so pissed cause it only cost 5 bucks for that and Disciples II.

Oh man... It looks like people are still having issues. Never mind. :(

five games/packages on sale that are worth checking out:

Birth of America - A good wargame with a easy to use, attractive UI. For $5 it offfers you the chance to put your toe into playing around with PC wargaming without having to shell out big $$$$ at Matrix or Battlefront.

Mount & Blade - Half off during the sale, no game does mounted combat like M&B does. It's not without its warts but there is a fantastic mod community for the game and I don't mind the dated graphics and somewhat thin RPG elements-when the game is doing what it does best, it's without peer.

Ghost Master - High quality lightheared and funny strategy puzzle game where you get to scare people. One of the best values in the sale IMO for $2.50.

Silent Hunter Collection - SH3 and SH4 are terrific WW2 submarine simulations and the price-for just a little over $20 and change-is a steal. The games are gorgeous and are actually pretty easy to play if you take the time to read the documentation and watch some tutorials on youtube. Everything you'll ever need for the games is up over at Subsim.com and the games have tons and tons of usermade content.

Heroes of Might and Magic V Pack- HoMMV, after years of refinement via patching and expansions, is just about as equal in gameplay IMO as Heroes 3, a true classic in the genre, was. There's tons of content in the pack and $30 is a pretty decent deal for it. Celesial Heavens has been putting out some fun stuff with the map editor as well.

I had a bigger post but I accidentally killed the Google Chrome window and lost it. But these are five games that are worth taking a look if you're a heavy PC gamer and already own a lot of the usual suspects in the sale.

I couldn't pass up on some cheap Bioshock and STALKER Clear Sky. I also snagged the CoD Warchest so I don't have to dance with my CDs anymore.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Awesome suggestions. I'm definitely getting Mount & Blade, that's the right price. The combat is sooo much fun.

I want Hinterland despite it's shallowness, but I feel a weekend deal in it's future. That's not a good enough discount.

zaxor0

ahhh I curse you steam for stealing all my money. I got the id superpack! civ 4 complete and civ 3 complete. If my will to keep my money fails me i will end up getting more games, probably a few that are less than $10 though.

Wow, at this sale. I already finished Bioshock but I don't own the game so I'm definitely buying that (plus I wanna replay it so I can harvest all the children instead of saving them) and Beyond Good and Evil, which is one of those games I've been meaning to get since forever.

Sciz

Just a heads up to everyone buying the id Super Pack:

Play Commander Keen, or else.

Eighteen years on and it's still the best PC platformer series.

Musashi Wins! said:
I want Hinterland despite it's shallowness, but I feel a weekend deal in it's future. That's not a good enough discount.

I agree that in the context of talking about awesome deals, Hinterland at its $15 price just can't compete with a lot of the other stuff on Steam right now. I think it's a good game and got more than my $20 out of it, but it is shallow and won't appeal to everyone.

Proc

Fragamemnon said:
Heroes of Might and Magic V Pack- HoMMV, after years of refinement via patching and expansions, is just about as equal in gameplay IMO as Heroes 3, a true classic in the genre, was. There's tons of content in the pack and $30 is a pretty decent deal for it. Celesial Heavens has been putting out some fun stuff with the map editor as well.

Would you recommend it over Disciples 2 gold? I've been eyeing D2 over at gog.com for quite some time now. I was really into HoMM2 back in the day (great times). Should I splurge on HoMMV pack?

From the screens, it looks likes d2 gold has better art style, but obviously there is more to a game than just the artwork.

Sigh, trying my best to get Fallout 3 at the ten bucks off, but it just won't take my card. Steam's always been like that for me tho, always insisting that some minor detail about my info is off, and it's the only place online to do so. I'm sure that level of security is great, but man is it frustrating to deal with.

And so, the Fallout 3 trains continue to pass by me, full of happy, excited gamers on their way to post-apocalyptic euphoria while I stare sullenly from the confines of my seat at the FAIL station.

Disciples 2 is really good and super cheap. It's one of those games that you can sit down, play a scenario in the campaign, and then stash away until you get the itch again. I'd go with D2 over HoMMV, but as a generic recommendation would say that both are worth picking up (just not at the same time).

Oh and the new King's Bounty game plasters both.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The ID Superpack is INSANE; if you don't have many of those games you should buy them.

As for me, I'm looking at the Civ IV collection, Bejeweled and Bioshock, and I'm looking real hard at the Relic Super Pack. (I just don't know if I like RTS games enough to get it. Also, my laptop kinda sucks, running some of that is going to be pretty borderline.)

Anything else good? Maybe the Unreal Pack?

Tendo

As I look at the Epic pack I realize how much I wish Jazz Jackrabbit was on Steam :( Cliffy/Clifford, embrace your roots man!

Proc said:
Rad, haven't even heard of that one. Going to have to track that one down. I miss me some fantasy tbs.

Defintely do so-it's a coinflip between this and Sins of a Solar Empire for best PC game released this year IMO.

neight

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
five games/packages on sale that are worth checking out:

Birth of America - A good wargame with a easy to use, attractive UI. For $5 it offfers you the chance to put your toe into playing around with PC wargaming without having to shell out big $$$$ at Matrix or Battlefront.

Mount & Blade - Half off during the sale, no game does mounted combat like M&B does. It's not without its warts but there is a fantastic mod community for the game and I don't mind the dated graphics and somewhat thin RPG elements-when the game is doing what it does best, it's without peer.

Ghost Master - High quality lightheared and funny strategy puzzle game where you get to scare people. One of the best values in the sale IMO for $2.50.

Silent Hunter Collection - SH3 and SH4 are terrific WW2 submarine simulations and the price-for just a little over $20 and change-is a steal. The games are gorgeous and are actually pretty easy to play if you take the time to read the documentation and watch some tutorials on youtube. Everything you'll ever need for the games is up over at Subsim.com and the games have tons and tons of usermade content.

I had a bigger post but I accidentally killed the Google Chrome window and lost it. But these are five games that are worth taking a look if you're a heavy PC gamer and already own a lot of the usual suspects in the sale.
Good post.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Fragamemnon said:
Defintely do so-it's a coinflip between this and Sins of a Solar Empire for best PC game released this year IMO.

King's Bounty is fantastic. Everyone should try it. It's pretty, it's funny, it's occasionally bizarre and mystifying, it's pretty much all good things.

Proc

Fulleffect said:
Got UT3, kinda shocked at how few people are playing it, lol

I was afraid of this. It wasn't that busy last summer when my brother lent me his copy. I was leaning on getting it at $9.99, but I think I'll just ride out my source/iw games for multiplayer fps until I hear/see otherwise of its popularity. (hopefully not everyone thinks like me lol).

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
If i bought Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom for .99 each would i be missing anything pre-Doom 3? Also Bioshock for 5 dollars is just insane considering its still 20 bucks on the 360. Thinking about picking up L4D now that its 20+ cheaper than the 360 as well.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
zombieshavebrains said:
If i bought Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom for .99 each would i be missing anything pre-Doom 3? Also Bioshock for 5 dollars is just insane considering its still 20 bucks on the 360. Thinking about picking up L4D now that its 20+ cheaper than the 360 as well.

The first three Quakes and their expansions.

Hexen and Heretic.

Hexen 2.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Unless you mean just in the Doom universe, in which case.... Final Doom?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Campster said:
The first three Quakes and their expansions.

Hexen and Heretic.

Hexen 2.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Unless you mean just in the Doom universe, in which case.... Final Doom?

Yeah just Dooms. Is Final Doom just like a Doom 2 expansion?

Top Bottom