• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
brain_stew said:
Its usually best to add your gift recipient through the Steam community first as then you can send it through the Steam interface itself rather than messing on with emails. And, hey, if you're feeling generous my steam id is ukbrainstew, been trying for days to pick up Bioshock and a few others but the thing won't take my damn credit card for some reason.

I went crazy with Steam gifts to my brother this Christmas, and its really a nice and simple process, you even get to send a little gift message which is nice.

I'm no good with multiplayer RTS, so I tend just to play single player by myself on mormal or easy settings, would you say just buying Darwinia on its own is the way to go then?

If I can finally get my card sorted I think I'll gift a couple of copies of Doom/Doom 2 as they're still such great titles that are great fun today. Been playing then on a netbook using Doom Legacy and they look/play great.
The single player skirmish mode in Multiwinia is a blast. There is just so much carnage. The camera system and the sheer amount of chaos remind me of World in Conflict (another one of my favorite RTS games).

Bigfoot

So I bought Bioshock even though my PC won't run it... some day I'll play it so I figured it was worth it. I bought a few other games too including the Trials game. I should probably buy the original X-com since the copy I have now is abandonware (I own the original but the discs are in a box somewhere in my place and I don't have a floppy disc drive anyways on my PC).

maus

Porthos said:
So I bought Bioshock even though my PC won't run it... some day I'll play it so I figured it was worth it. I bought a few other games too including the Trials game. I should probably buy the original X-com since the copy I have now is abandonware (I own the original but the discs are in a box somewhere in my place and I don't have a floppy disc drive anyways on my PC).
x-com isn't abandonware anymore

I've already called the police

Twig

Banned
So Prince of Persia (new one) runs surprisingly fucking well on my computer. I thought I'd have to turn something down, but aside from the occasional sandstorm, fps doesn't drop too much. I might lower the resolution a bit, but yeah.

Glad it's not like (I hear) Assassin's Creed -- unoptimized and lovin' it.

Mr.City

TheOneGuy said:
So Prince of Persia (new one) runs surprisingly fucking well on my computer. I thought I'd have to turn something down, but aside from the occasional sandstorm, fps doesn't drop too much. I might lower the resolution a bit, but yeah.

Glad it's not like (I hear) Assassin's Creed -- unoptimized and lovin' it.

Hmm. now I'm really torn on buying PoP for the PC.

Mr.City said:
Hmm. now I'm really torn on buying PoP for the PC.
It really is a fantastic version from what I've played. I'm not super duper thrilled with the game itself, but if you're definitely going to buy it, then the PC version seems great. I also turned every option all the way up and have had no significant slowdowns. I'm even running at 1920x1200, my monitor's native res, which is something I am very rarely able to do when the options are all turned up.

(For reference I have a GeForce 8800GT with a Core 2 Duo @2.66GHz and 4GB of RAM.)

Sciz

Last evening I started going through all of the games I bought configuring settings and making sure they all worked. I got down to Psychonauts before that plan died, the reason being that I just finished Psychonauts about half an hour ago.

Incredible game.

I was just talking to a guy from Valve via Steam chat and while obviously he couldn't give any numbers or anything he said this sale has been "insanely" successful. There's been a ton of gifting too.

Sciz

Chris Remo said:
I was just talking to a guy from Valve via Steam chat and while obviously he couldn't give any numbers or anything he said this sale has been "insanely" successful. There's been a ton of gifting too.
No surprise there. Their bandwidth meter has been hanging around the 40k range since the sale started.

PatzCU

Chris Remo said:

This doesn't surprise me at all. I love that this sale is occurring and I love that Steam/Valve is finding it a huge success. It's an amazing platform and more publishers need to put their differences aside and jump on board.

With that said, I'm still finalizing what I'm going to buy :D I was originally just going to get the Dawn of War Platinum pack, but now I'm considering the entire Relic Pack. I'm not sure CoH will run well on my setup, but I'm upgrading later this year so why not?

Docpan

I bought Bioshock and the mouse sensitivity is fucked up. What gives? When I look around the movement isn't smooth; rather, it feels jittery. I try to adjust sensitivity but that only makes it worse.

Am I alone with this problem? I've never experienced it before. What can I do?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Red Alert 3 is such an awesome FPS. All the subtle changes they've made since 2 add up to a great, fast paced RTS that is very newb friendly yet insanely deep, much like Starcraft or some equivalent. Plus, the All-Star cast seals the deal. Tim Curry FTW.

EazyB

Banned
Sciz said:
Last evening I started going through all of the games I bought configuring settings and making sure they all worked. I got down to Psychonauts before that plan died, the reason being that I just finished Psychonauts about half an hour ago.

Incredible game.
Holy shit that's fast. And for the record I'm in agreement about the quality of the game.
Chris Remo said:
Good deal, hope to see more deals like this in the future then. Hopefully the developers are walking away with bucketloads of cash as well so we can see even more support from developers in future sales and on the Steam plateform in general.

Firehead

Docpan said:
I bought Bioshock and the mouse sensitivity is fucked up. What gives? When I look around the movement isn't smooth; rather, it feels jittery. I try to adjust sensitivity but that only makes it worse.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696601 said:
Advanced Tweaking
* Locate Bioshock.ini and User.ini
Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Bioshock
Windows Vista - C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Bioshock

Removing Mouse Filtering
* I highly recommend removing Mouse Filtering since it can make the Mouse behave slow or delayed in BioShock.
In Bioshock.ini edit DoubleBufferMouseLag to equal False if you find that the Mouse controls are laggy. The Mouse should now be much more responsive as in other games.

Should solve that problem :)

Sciz

EazyB said:
Holy shit that's fast. And for the record I'm in agreement about the quality of the game.
14.6 hours by Steam's count, though some of that is time spent paused and afk or alt-tabbed. I haven't exactly had anything else to do. At any rate, Brutal Legend is now a day one purchase whenever it hits PC.

Silencer

Where can I find my CoH product keys? I bought CoH Gold a couple of days ago, and I just got around to installing both the games. When I start up either the original game or expansion it wants me to login to relic online, but when I go to create an account the fields for the product keys are empty. I know some steam games have the option to right click on the game and "View game CD key" but I can't see it with CoH. Probably missing something obvious here.

Silencer said:
Where can I find my CoH product keys? I bought CoH Gold a couple of days ago, and I just got around to installing both the games. When I start up either the original game or expansion it wants me to login to relic online, but when I go to create an account the fields for the product keys are empty. I know some steam games have the option to right click on the game and "View game CD key" but I can't see it with CoH. Probably missing something obvious here.
There's probably somthing going wrong then, since my key was already filled in at the register screen.

Anyone know anything about:

Alpha Prime (looks like a sci-fi FPS for $2.49????)
Gumboy: Crazy Adventures
Earth 2160
Alien Shooter: Vengeance
Full Pipe

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
tenritsu said:
Try Peggle Extreme. It's free.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know. I'm trying it now. :)

Edit: I just tried Peggle Extreme and I loved it. Buying the full version now! :D

Hay guys, I'm about to buy the valve complete pack, but I already have TF2 and Left 4 Dead. Only reason I'm getting it is because my friend told me he'll pay half the price if I'd gift him TF2 and L4d (both games which I already have).

I know you could give away games you already had when you bought the orange box, but I'm not quite sure about the valve complete pack.

Thomper

Pop On Arrival said:
Hay guys, I'm about to buy the valve complete pack, but I already have TF2 and Left 4 Dead. Only reason I'm getting it is because my friend told me he'll pay half the price if I'd gift him TF2 and L4d (both games which I already have).

I know you could give away games you already had when you bought the orange box, but I'm not quite sure about the valve complete pack.
Nope. Not possible. HL2 and Ep. 1 only.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

RJT

I just had the weirdest online experience I ever had. Hell, the weirdest life experience I ever had: Counter Strike Jail mode. Can someone please explain me wtf is that?!?!?

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
This is the only thing that aggravates me about Steam. There really should be a better way to handle extra copies of games or at least a discount on packages where you already own the game.
Agree 100%. Bugs the hell out of me, too. \:

Is it possible to gift games between different regions? I have a friend in the US who wants to gift me TF2. There won't be any problems with the accounts or the dollar/euro conversion?

Mrbob

Silencer said:

Yeah I would call support. Maybe Relic ran out of keys?

Mine was already filled in when I started up Opposing Fronts.

bee

Fragamemnon said:
Man I envy you people buying COH over steam. Patching that product is a NIGHTMARE.

:lol haha i bought the original, bought opposing fronts, sold them, rebought the original coh like a year later, had to download something like 9 patches so when i saw this coh gold deal i thought it was worth going for it just purely to escape the patching nightmare

GameGamer

Chris Remo said:

Can you please tell them that I desperately want psychical gift/point cards like the kind I can get for iTunes, Live, PSN, etc.?

I probably won't buy from Steam until then.

GameGamer

RJT said:
I just had the weirdest online experience I ever had. Hell, the weirdest life experience I ever had: Counter Strike Jail mode. Can someone please explain me wtf is that?!?!?

If it's anything like the old Doom/Quake Jailbreak it means that players don't die, they get sent into a jail. The remaining players on a team must take out the other team or rescue their jailed team mates.

It's a great mode you don't see often in current games.

epmode

GameGamer said:
Can you please tell them that I desperately want psychical gift/point cards like the kind I can get for iTunes, Live, PSN, etc.?

Valve doesn't store credit card information, if that's what you're worried about.

If that's not what you're worried about, you're out of luck. And you're probably crazy.

Thomper

GameGamer said:

I don't think retailers will want to sell a lot of cards to a store whose ultimate goal is to put the retailers out of business. iTunes, sure, because iPods and accessories are still sold through regular retailers. The same with PSN and Live - GameStop and others can still sell the consoles, the new non-digital games, and the used games. But there's no reason at all for them to sell Steam-cards, unless they recieve a significant portion of the money on those cards, which in turn is something Valve wants to avoid.

So there's pretty much no chance at all you'll ever see Steam giftcards in stores.

Docpan said:

Firehead said:
Should solve that problem :)
Did this actually fix it for you? There's this huge thread on the 2k forums where most people couldn't get anything to work, including me (I have a Logitech G5).

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7697&page=57

Had to use a 360 controller to play it, which wasn't so bad, but still.

I have the exact same problem with Far Cry 2. Mouse acceleration no matter what settings I change or .ini's I edit.

OK, something's fucked. Tried to buy again and then tried paypal, Steam keeps saying an unexpected error has occurred no matter what I do. I dunno, it is my first time buying from there but I have installed games and downloaded free stuff on it before without any problems. Not sure what the trouble is. Probably something wrong with this POS computer.

senahorse

Just bought another 2 games...

The list now is:

Bioshock
Bejeweled
Heavy Weapon
Opposing Force
Beyond Good and Evil
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage
Xpand Rally
Luxor 2
ID Super Pack
Darwinia + Multiwinia
Company of Heroes Gold
X3 Pack
Race 07
UT3

Gifts:
2 x Flatout Ultimate Carnage
2 x Peggle Deluxe
1 x Heavy Weapon
1 x Race 07
1 x Xpand Rally
1 x Bejeweled

I never thought I would say this, but I can't wait till this stupid sale ends :lol

x3n05 said:
Just bought another 2 games...

The list now is:

Bioshock
Bejeweled
Heavy Weapon
Opposing Force
Beyond Good and Evil
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage
Xpand Rally
Luxor 2
ID Super Pack
Darwinia + Multiwinia
Company of Heroes Gold
X3 Pack
Race 07
UT3

Gifts:
2 x Flatout Ultimate Carnage
2 x Peggle Deluxe
1 x Heavy Weapon
1 x Race 07
1 x Xpand Rally
1 x Bejeweled

I never thought I would say this, but I can't wait till this stupid sale ends :lol
I've spent $192 in total and acquired 18 games (give or take a few depending on how you count expansions and stuff). I kind of want it to be over also.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Spent a good AUD $110 on games this morning.

Bioshock
Coh pack
Mass Effect
Peggle nights
PA Ep2

I think that will do. I was tempted to pickup GTA4 but im sure i can get it for cheaper online, PoP is tempting but im 50/50 about the game.

So thanks for taking my money this xmas valve.

senahorse

Chris Remo said:
I've spent $192 in total and acquired 18 games (give or take a few depending on how you count expansions and stuff). I kind of want it to be over also.

I don't want to add it up but my total is probably close to that. My backlog across 4 platforms is out of control as it is, now I have just ensured I will probably never get through 50% of them let alone all.

dani_dc

Got:

Bioshock
Half Life: Blue Shift
Half Life: Opposing Forces
Beyond Good and Evil
Civilization III complete

Around 13 euros, not too much.

Still wondering about picking up Peggle deluxe, Ultimate Doom and Doom 2.

Mrbob

Looking at the top 10 sellers, Left 4 Dead is a beast.

Five dollar shock can't even dethrone L4D from the top spot, sitting at number two.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Spectral Glider said:
OK, something's fucked. Tried to buy again and then tried paypal, Steam keeps saying an unexpected error has occurred no matter what I do. I dunno, it is my first time buying from there but I have installed games and downloaded free stuff on it before without any problems. Not sure what the trouble is. Probably something wrong with this POS computer.

I also have a problem with paypal. I tried to buy doom but it said that my account didn't have the sufficient funds when that is clearly not the case. Can anyone gift me doom? i'll pay them one dollar using paypal.

Top Bottom