• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

Dat level design & artstyle tho :(

The level design for DmC is pretty much just a bunch of arenas linked by straight forward platforming, outside of maybe 1 or 2 maps. It's still better than the platforming in DMC4, but imo it's not really "good level design" as a lot seems to like to call it, they *are* pretty looking though.

I think DmC is a fun game, I suggest people try it since I think the combat is actually really competent and fun, the only downside is that the bosses are kind of terrible even though they look nice, normal enemies are also fun to fight outside of the color coded rats.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Graphics is terrible (sprite stickers is something every indie dev should not aspire for)
Gameplay is very simplistic and boring (go play Blinx for a better time manipulation game)
Narrative is forced and felt like "it's deep and relevant to nukes" for shits and giggles (the same crap I see on people saying about Inception's ending being "vague")

Graphics look ok to me, gameplay may be simple but it isn't boring at all, narrative didn't feel forced but was the least likeable part of the game. Opinions.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Quick Rogue Legacy question: what does vampirism do? I assume it gives me health for kills or something?
Exactly. Vampirism armor lowers your health a bit, but you get more hp with each kill.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Vampirism is very useful since you aren't going to find health a lot.

Graphics look ok to me, gameplay may be simple but it isn't boring at all, narrative didn't feel forced but was the least likeable part of the game. Opinions.

It's the sticker style graphics that ultimately bog it down for me.

Miletius

Tomb Raider for 5 bucks on Amazon is a good deal. Twenty for Arkham Origins is a good deal, but I'm still hesitant on pulling the trigger. I just feel like it's going to be cheaper by the time I get around to it. I guess I have a while to think about it.

Durante

If you were any other guy, we probably wouldn't. What does it do?
It's a program designed to show various types of aliasing artifacts, and how they interact with various anti-aliasing methods. It's part of an article I wrote about the topic which should be published at some point in the future. (NV people can try it as well if they want of course, but I already know that it should work there)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Could anybody recommend Outlast? Looks like a solid survival horror, just curious what SteamGAF's opinion of it is.

I didn't care for it. AI scripting and repetitiveness killed the horror for me. After a couple hours, I was no longer even getting caught by the jump scares.

C4rter

Could anybody recommend Outlast? Looks like a solid survival horror, just curious what SteamGAF's opinion of it is.

Playing it currently. The atmosphere is quite good and the graphics are really nice. Some good scares, jump scares mixed with the overall fear of getting caught by raving lunatics in an insane asylum. A bit strange that you can't wield any kind of weapon but that's the game mechanics basically.

Li Kao

Solid for sure, pretty much excellent if you are not allergic to jump scares, which admittedly constitute 99% of the fear produced by the game. Problem is, ending is divisive to say the least.
I think it's a shit ending, but I also think the journey was really great. If you like scary games, I say go for it.

Anteater

alicemadnessreturnsorsklz0.jpg

... gabe?

Milamber

It's a program designed to show various types of aliasing artifacts, and how they interact with various anti-aliasing methods. It's part of an article I wrote about the topic which should be published at some point in the future. (NV people can try it as well if they want of course, but I already know that it should work there)

AH! I can't kill the process on my other PC (Nvidia 8800 GT).

EDIT: It hanged!
EDIT 2: Restarting PC...

Remember Me for 10 from GMG.
Guarntee even if it pops up as a daily it won't be that cheap
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/au/en/pc/games/action/remember-me/

Sweet, I've been wanting this one for a while but it never seems to get much of a discount. Also happy to wake up and see Chains of Satinav as a flash deal. Now I need to pick up Memoria if it goes on sale again.

So how safe is GMG? Does it have virus?

I have bought a lot of games from GMG with no issues yet!

Considering Kentucky Route Zero. I'm kind of a weird stickler for little details - I know it's broken up in chapters, but do your choices carry through to each chapter? Or is it a generally static path?

hellocld

I didn't care for it. AI scripting and repetitiveness killed the horror for me. After a couple hours, I was no longer even getting caught by the jump scares.

Playing it currently. The atmosphere is quite good and the graphics are really nice. Some good scares, jump scares mixed with the overall fear of getting caught by raving lunatics in an insane asylum. A bit strange that you can't wield any kind of weapon but that's the game mechanics basically.

Solid for sure, pretty much excellent if you are not allergic to jump scares, which admittedly constitute 99% of the fear produced by the game. Problem is, ending is divisive to say the least.
I think it's a shit ending, but I also think the journey was really great. If you like scary games, I say go for it.

Hrmmm, sounds interesting but nothing to jump on. I'll just wait for the next sale, give me more time to beat Amnesia, lol. Thanks!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ok, so that would be the "ViolenceRestrictedCountries" flag that the Orange Box sub has, but the Valve Complete Pack has not.

You were explaining a couple of days ago that some Valve games use the IP to determine the version (region specific or not) of the game, instead of using separate subs.

Is that what this flag does? And you wouldn't happen to know, if the check is on run time or when the game is bought / the code is redeemed?

Yeah, that's my understanding of it. The flag isn't common (even Valve no longer uses it) so I've had no direct experience with it myself, but since, for example, the HL2 sub is universal, the only logical conclusion is that the flag is IP-based, not unlike, say, onlyallowrunincountries, or (less pertinently) allowpurchasefromrestrictedcountries when used on retail key subs (e.g. I had to use Spotflux to activate Inversion, which I'd purchased from Amazon, as the key was tied to this sub -- "Yes" means that the sub can only be activated within the countries listed while "No" would mean that it can only be activated in the countries not mentioned).

Hey jshackles, for some reason games that I bought retail (and own) don't identify as such in my wishlist. Is there any reason why?

I'm lazy and just want to remove all owned. :) Thanks.

Dambrosi

Banned
Tomb Raider for 5 bucks on Amazon is a good deal. Twenty for Arkham Origins is a good deal, but I'm still hesitant on pulling the trigger. I just feel like it's going to be cheaper by the time I get around to it. I guess I have a while to think about it.
The Amazon deal is active? Any US Gaffers want to help a UK dude out? I've got PayPal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hey jshackles, for some reason games that I bought retail (and own) don't identify as such in my wishlist. Is there any reason why?

I'm lazy and just want to remove all owned. :) Thanks.

Once the page has finished loading, scroll down the bottom and click "Removed all owned from wishlist". Games activated via retail keys not being removed from user wishlists is something that Valve itself needs to fix.

Edit: I'm assuming you're using Enhanced Steam. ;)

Ifrit

So, Tomb Raider DLC is not worth it, right? Are there no plans for future single player DLC?

I don't really give a fuck about multiplayer

red731

So me and my mother didn't have Braid until now and man, the game is relaxing, calming and I've got "oh, so I can do this with that?!" moments while finishing world one with all the puzzle pieces collected.

Also Super Amazing Wagon Adventures and Steamworld Dig are great!
SAWA confirmed what I have thought about unicorns.

yatesl

What's GAF's opinion on buying AMD/Nvidia codes for games on eBay? AMD codes expire end of the year, so people are selling them for £10, and it includes Thief 2014.

You could then sell Saint's Row IV on eBay for the same price...

Considering Kentucky Route Zero. I'm kind of a weird stickler for little details - I know it's broken up in chapters, but do your choices carry through to each chapter? Or is it a generally static path?

Man that's hard to explain in the context of this game. KR0's choice are less about changing the plot and more about changing the... character? Often times your choices fill in areas of your character's backstory, which provide context more than they actively change the plot itself. It's hard to explain. It's totally worth playing, even if it's just for the insane aesthetic and that they're trying to do something very different.

Once the page has finished loading, scroll down the bottom and click "Removed all owned from wishlist". Games activated via retail keys not being removed from user wishlists is something that Valve itself needs to fix.

That's the thing though. I have waited for the page to load as I've done it in the past but it has stopped working this sale. I don't know if it's because my wishlist is so huge or what but I've let it load for 10 minutes before and nothing gets highlighted on my wishlist.

hohoXD123

What's GAF's opinion on buying AMD/Nvidia codes for games on eBay? AMD codes expire end of the year, so people are selling them for £10, and it includes Thief 2014.

You could then sell Saint's Row IV on eBay for the same price...

That's tempting, though this bit in the T&Cs could be troubling:
ADDITIONALLY, AS AVAILABILITY VARIES THE MENU OF AVAILABLE APPLICATIONS MAY
CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. Participant’s Application selection is not guaranteed until final selection is submitted by clicking “GET
YOUR GAME KEY.”

It could just be standard T&C practise and nothing to worry about, but maybe others on here have experience of these promotions?

Turfster

It could just be standard T&C practise and nothing to worry about, but maybe others on here have experience of these promotions?

I got TR2013, BioInf and Thi4f with AMD codes. No problems.

Waittt a minute, how's Dark Matter still on steam? I thought it was removed because it's an unfinished product...did they finished it?

They added a "to be continued" screen I think.

Edit: Glad to see Remember me is getting so much love in the previous pages.

Kifimbo

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Oil Rush -- MB-62D455F489F646D5 - Taken by Tarin02543

The Humble key looks weird, so let me know if there is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom