• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

13518043033592rsm1.jpg

Dark Souls isn't a game you put aside because of your backlog.

It's a game that makes your backlog look like shit.

10/10

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Majukun

Someone try to convince me that Dark Souls won't be an absolutely miserable experience. From what I've heard, the "appeal" of the game is that it's incredibly punishing and difficult, but very satisfying once you succeed. That sounds kinda like purposely giving yourself blue balls so it will feel really good once you get laid.
the game is only punishing if you don't play it properly.
when you get how the game works and pretends to be played,you are going to cruise through all the locations and bosses.

only problem of the game,is that it makes a miserable job at explain itself properly,be prepared to read a lot of wikipedia or a lot of posts in the game's thread,because the game doesn't explain them or explain them poorly

Derrick01

Banned
No combat = boring?

Well does it have anything else? Puzzles? Something like branching dialog or hidden options like a western rpg would have to solve some situations? I've heard all you do in those games is walk around an empty world for a couple of hours.

BearPawB

Banned
Someone try to convince me that Dark Souls won't be an absolutely miserable experience. From what I've heard, the "appeal" of the game is that it's incredibly punishing and difficult, but very satisfying once you succeed. That sounds kinda like purposely giving yourself blue balls so it will feel really good once you get laid.

The appeal of the game is the massive open world that is full of atmosphere. It is about collecting awesome swords and armor. Fighting massive beasts/dragons/unspeakable creatures.

The game isn't as hard as people make it out to be. It just doesn't tell you much about what certain words mean like, "humanity" and "kindle"

Once you figure out the basic systems the game is a joy

antitrop

If you've already been spoiled hard on Gone Home, I guess I wouldn't recommend it.

The entire reason I enjoyed the game was because I went in with one certain set of expectations, and the game was absolutely nothing even remotely close to those expectations. It was very refreshing.

It's a lot like the original Zelda.

If you just run around swinging your sword you will die fast. But if you play properly, you will only die when you suck.

There is no hand holding. There is no special mark on breakable walls. You can miss stuff.

This all makes the game very rewarding.
Arg, that's one of my pet peeves in games. I hate the idea of missing stuff. I hate it so much that I will read GameFAQ guides in order to not miss stuff.

mannerbot

It's more that most games treat you like a moron and spoon-feed you everything. Dark Souls respects your intelligence and demands your respect in kind.

Arghhhh
No idea whether to buy it or not.
There really isn't much that can be recommended either way about it mechanically, and the story beats are something that will either resonate with you or not. For the price I'd recommend taking the risk, it's short, it's personal, and it takes on a scale often unseen in games -- I really enjoyed it.

Anyone played UnEpic? Is it worth it now, or better to wait until it's out of early access?

I really like the game and I don't like RPGs. The single player mode is 100% finished. They are still working on the multiplayer part, but I haven't bother yet with it. Spanish voice acting is really funny.

Sulik2

If you've already been spoiled hard on Gone Home, I guess I wouldn't recommend it.

The entire reason I enjoyed the game was because I went in with one certain set of expectations, and the game was absolutely nothing even remotely close to those expectations. It was very refreshing.

Or you went into it expecting an adventure game and get a visual novel with a plot from a 90s lifetime movie.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I guess I'll spend my trading card money on Trials.

maty

Gone Home was 75% off during the last sale, unfortunately gonna have to pass. Why Steam?

Weren't discounts going to be the same? I didn't have enough money in my wallet to buy it then.

PLEAAAAAAAAAASE VOTE FOR SPELUNKY

k

To me, Origins had a pretty engaging story (relatively, at least), and the new detective stuff was cool if a bit handwavey, but the combat felt very much like a derivative of Arkham City.

Batman seems less responsive and more sluggish at throwing punches, ground pounds, etc.

Not a bad game, but I won't be going through all the combat/predator trials after I'm done.

edit: Voted for Spelunky!

Which he would be given the story/chronology.

As someone who likes a lot of roguelikes, is Sword of The Stars: The Pit any good? Also, is Lunnye Devitsy any good? I like exploration games.

The latter is execrable. Don't waste your money.

Grabbed Dark Souls on the double dip. Even with GFWL, makes sense since I'm not paying for XBL anymore. Didn't have the DLC either, so that's worth it alone - same deal as my Skyrim purchase (though I grabbed that via Amazon from credit). Only played 10-20 hours or so of the 360 version - was too swamped to get back to it. Dunno when I'll have time to play this copy, but at least it's there /steamgamermentality

Helped that I had exactly $5.99 in my Steam wallet.

bedlamite

At $6.79 Van Helsing is well worth it. SP is good, co-op was supposed to be buggy but I'm not sure if that got fixed.

Anno worth the pickup? Not worried about the DRM/TAGES

vermadas

Ignore TheSeks, as long as you aren't hung up with the legacy (lol) of its predecessors, DmC is a fantastic game. The color coded enemies kinda suck and the bosses aren't amazing, but the environments you traverse through are so awesome and diverse. I was pretty surprised with how good the combat was.

I'm kinda tempted by Van Helsing but I haven't yet tried out PoE and that's F2P so I might as well hold off.

Majukun

Arg, that's one of my pet peeves in games. I hate the idea of missing stuff. I hate it so much that I will read GameFAQ guides in order to not miss stuff.
in dark souls you even have to discover the DLC content after you bought it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom