• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
Alright SteamGAF, DmC or Dark Souls? I've watched a Let's Play of about half of Dark Souls and I still can't tell if I'd like it. The setting kinda turns me off of it.

Dark Souls man.

DmC is like a wet sack of crap compared to Dark Souls.

DmC is a wet sack of crap anyway, but it's a no brainer man.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
KOF, if you could just play nicely, I really, really, really, really don't fucking want to play the game with my Razor Hydra. So if you could just accept that and let me change to the controller I want to use for player 1, I'd really appreciate it. No? Oh. Okay. You can just reset the changes I've made every time I exit the options screen. That's cool too.

PC Gaming! Gotta love it!

Er-Are you using Xinput? I'm using a Dual-Shock 3 just fine in KoF '13 with no issues remapping. It's wanting Xinput/360 controllers since that's the "standard" for PC ports now a days.

Turfster

To me, Origins had a pretty engaging story (relatively, at least), and the new detective stuff was cool if a bit handwavey, but the combat felt very much like a derivative of Arkham City.

Batman seems less responsive and more sluggish at throwing punches, ground pounds, etc.
They removed move cancel, locking you into attacks and making you unable to respond quite as quickly.

freakk5

Banned
So... Metal Gear is going to sell really great and Platinum is going to port their entire back catalog to Steam.

Then Cave will do the same.

The Capcom will re-up their licencing deal with Marvel, and part of the deal will be porting MvC3 to Steam!

RIGHT?

RIGHT?

PLEASE?

EDIT - As a bonus Konami will also release old MGS's for Steam as well.
We can dream.

Arghhhh
No idea whether to buy it or not.

It's very easy, since it's a short game for a low price. Buy it it you want a different take on the adventure genre, with a very good story that's very very different from the stories in most games. You might not like it, but it's different and special enough to warrant a try. Buy it, test it, and move on if you don't like it.

Rtas

Still have 7 euro in steam wallet but have most of the dailies already, anyone have any recomendations for games that'll make the most of the 7 euros?

Narrative? Mature, subtle storytelling? A good story?

Good Story?

Seriously, thats a story you have in one of those drama soap operas.

Misunderstood lesbian child, parents that lie to everyone while going to a relationship therapy, supposedly cheating wife and a bad uncle.

I wouldnt really call that a good story in my opinion.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Er-Are you using Xinput? I'm using a Dual-Shock 3 just fine in KoF '13 with no issues remapping. It's wanting Xinput/360 controllers since that's the "standard" for PC ports now a days.

I'm (making an attempt at) using a 360 controller. It's insisting that I want to use it for player 2. I change player 2's settings to keyboard, then the keyboard simply controls player 1's settings changes so I can't actually change anything with the keyboard. Then when I think I've got everything set as I want, I confirm that and try to go back in to the options screen to set the 360 pad as player 1, and the game says how about Hydra is player 1 and 360 is Player 2 again.

edit: Okay, realized that I couldn't change player 2's settings with the keyboard because despite saying Player 1 is using the Hydra, Player 1's default keyboard controls still work to control the player 1 setting. 360 controller isn't even listed under options for player 1, and Hydra isn't even listed under options for player 2, so right now it's looking like unplugging the Hydra is the only option here.

Sulik2

Well does it have anything else? Puzzles? Something like branching dialog or hidden options like a western rpg would have to solve some situations? I've heard all you do in those games is walk around an empty world for a couple of hours.

There are zero puzzles. Do not go in expecting them or you might have as virulent a reaction as I did. It is literally walk around the house. Click stuff until you hear an audio log and do that for the next hour and a half. If the story isn't compelling to you it is a terrible experience.

Haunted

gone home is awesome. Don't listen to the naysayers. It is an atmospheric game with an amazingly human tale to tell. Worth every second, and $10 is the perfect price.

Don't let that stop you from playing the game of last generation. The GFWL is annoying, but it is worth it.
Oh, I've already played and beaten it twice, this one would be purely for collection's sake and to have it easily available without the PS3.

Okay, why is Steam telling me I need to log in before I can vote when I'm obviously logged in?

because servers

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
What happened to Australia? Why they are attacked by tentacles?!

only now noticed that a picture was changed

Better than what happened in the North. Aliens abducted a number of the little characters last night, now Yellow is all alone with no one to help him with his tongue on a frozen metal pole.

Dark Souls, easily. All day and night, Dark Souls.

I felt like that as well until I played it and it just clicked

both are fun.
DMC is a fun game. Dark Souls is a GREAT game. The setting is the best thing about Dark Souls, but the game is fairly diverse, so if you didn't like one area you may prefer another.

I'd say Dark Souls, from a personal standpoint, but you really don't sound like you want it. If you know everything it's about and it's still iffy and the setting is a turn off, maybe just pass.

DmC is great.

Dark Souls man.

DmC is like a wet sack of crap compared to Dark Souls.

DmC is a wet sack of crap anyway, but it's a no brainer man.

Hmm thanks guys. I'll get it, and if I don't like it then I wasted $6, which isn't a big deal.

2nd question: is there anything bad about Anno 2070? I know it's an always online game, which sucks, but I can deal with it. Anything else?

Macmanus

So... Metal Gear is going to sell really great and Platinum is going to port their entire back catalog to Steam

I don't give two liquid squirts about the Metal Gear franchise, but I sure in hell would love to see Platinum toss us some PC ports. They're probably the only console exclusive developer I care about, unless Naughty Dog makes another Crash game.

Good Story?

Seriously, thats a story you have in one of those drama soap operas.

Misunderstood lesbian child, parents that lie to everyone while going to a relationship therapy, supposedly cheating wife and a bad uncle.

I wouldnt really call that a good story in my opinion.

Story is cliche because it's a 90's story, but the way it unfolds is what is incredible. The tense atmosphere, music and writing are all incredible.

Turfster

Hmm thanks guys. I'll get it, and if I don't like it then I wasted $6, which isn't a big deal.

2nd question: is there anything bad about Anno 2070? I know it's an always online game, which sucks, but I can deal with it. Anything else?

TAGES "fuck up your pc and leave it dead in a ditch" DRM.

Alex

That's all the reboot is, IMO though. Style over substance.

That'd be Castlevania's grotesque reboot, not so much with this one, in my mind. I feel the Devil May Cry reboot is pretty spiffy all around. I only really enjoyed 3 more than it, to be honest. Original is dated and 4 didn't do anything for me at all, personally.

soontroll

Banned
Ok these are more convincing posts. I play Dota 2 so I'm used to reading a lot of guides/GAF posts in order to understand a game better. Still not totally sold yet
I'm scared
. Is Dark Souls multiplayer? Like, if I convinced a friend to buy it too could we play it together?

The game is really not that bad. I was quite scared going into the game after hearing everyone boast about how difficult it is but it's pretty fun trying to think about how you're going to fight an enemy and then putting your skills and tactics to the test. Sometimes you get so involved that you don't care if you keep on dying - you just want to learn from your mistakes and fuck up the enemy next time.

I will admit that the bosses can be rather infuriating on your first playthrough but there aren't many unanimously difficult ones. E.g. I killed Capra demon in about 40 seconds while a lot of people say that he's one of the hardest but died to Taurus demon like 20 times. The advantage of that is that I can now travel the route from the nearest bonfire to the boss blindfolded lol.

Also, I didn't use the online part too much but I'm pretty sure you can't just play with your friend as if it's co-op.

The Foul

Sigh, no buzz about anno. To anyone on the fence about Anno 2070... first of all, yes it has Uplay, but second of all just do it, if you like civ games, just buy it. Ubi bought the dev and and instead of a new Anno game this year we got free to play dummy version of 1701.

If you want a real reason to buy it, Anno games are like an expertly crafted real time board game. City building, trade, resource management, naval and submarine combat, layers upon layers of open ended strategy. A true PC game for PC gamers. Not the best game to buy and stick in a backlog, as like Civ any one mission can take days of play time to finish, but if you're after the pinnacle of city building games, thats Anno.

Majukun

Ok these are more convincing posts. I play Dota 2 so I'm used to reading a lot of guides/GAF posts in order to understand a game better. Still not totally sold yet
I'm scared
. Is Dark Souls multiplayer? Like, if I convinced a friend to buy it too could we play it together?

it sorta has a multiplayer,basically,other players can come in your game as ghosts,either to help you (when you summon them) or to try to murder you (usually uninvited)..what kind you play in multiplayer (even though all happens during the normal single campain of the host) is given by what of the multiple factions in the game world you decide to work under.
so you can be invaded or invade,being helped or help

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
DmC vs. Dark Souls?

How is this even a competition?

Put Dante's face on Rihanna's body
ihCvgB5zUuXh2.gif

C4rter

If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Current and previous threads are " Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER" and "Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (like Steam did)" right?

Since some people are standing in their own way of happiness pain and are not pulling the trigger on Dark Souls...

Buy Dark Souls, NOW.

FAQ: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91672090&postcount=3009

Theres a mod called DSCFix that makes co-oping with a friend a breeze. Though the game isn't really designed with the intention of letting you play with someone the whole game. There's no lobbies or anything that's for sure. But Dark Souls is the best game of the last like 5 years and you should definitely get it.

Difficulty is highly over rated imo. I only died a few times throughout the whole game.

Hnng, I'm starting to get convinced. And I saw in masterkajo's post that the DSCFix mod makes it OK to play with mouse & keyboard? I don't have a controller for my PC.

joe2187

Banned
So... Metal Gear is going to sell really great and Platinum is going to port their entire back catalog to Steam.

Then Cave will do the same.

The Capcom will re-up their licencing deal with Marvel, and part of the deal will be porting MvC3 to Steam!

RIGHT?

RIGHT?

PLEASE?

EDIT - As a bonus Konami will also release old MGS's for Steam as well.

You're only hurting yourself my friend.

Jag

Heard good things about Van Helsing, but I don't want another Torchlight or Diablo clone. Does this one feel any different?

backdrifter

Neo Member
Sorely tempted to pick up Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 now with it's 50% discount. Can cram in some major gaming time over the next few days, but then there's the ever so slight possibility it pops up as a Daily. Anything to cleanse my pallet of the bloody awful FIFA 14.

Argh!

Nabs

How do I do that if it doesn't show on my Steam store?

Wait for Amazon to price match it in a few minutes and then grab it?

Sorely tempted to pick up Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 now with it's 50% discount. Can cram in some major gaming time over the next few days, but then there's the ever so slight possibility it pops up as a Daily. Anything to cleanse my pallet of the bloody awful FIFA 14.

Argh!

It's much cheaper on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GK6E23E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom