• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I will grab a copy of Dark Souls to give away later.

Really guys, is Van Helsing any good? I like Diablo and it looks like a fun Diablo clone.

I've played about 2 hours worth so far. It is a fun Diablo clone. I like it.

Also, where's jshackles at? The Van Helsing DLC is discounted this time around as well.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Some might have missed it due to Steam bugging out or marketplace not selling cards, or just woke up. For such people, or those who just didn't buy it for another reason, here is a chance at the wonderful Cook, Serve, Delicious.
I've quite enjoyed the copy a kind soul gave to me, it's made a long train trip far more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise. Hopefuly you get as much out of it as I have.

Alas I can't do the same for Van Helsing, Gone Home, Dark Souls, or Hotline Miami as I'm out of money, for myself or for anyone else, but if given the chance and you don't have one of those games yet, I do recommend going for them if their individual genres appeal to you.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cook Serve Delicious -- MB-15122C720A1B42B0

t1388092439z1.png

Enjoy. make something tasty.

Sulik2

To me, Origins had a pretty engaging story (relatively, at least), and the new detective stuff was cool if a bit handwavey, but the combat felt very much like a derivative of Arkham City.

Batman seems less responsive and more sluggish at throwing punches, ground pounds, etc.

Not a bad game, but I won't be going through all the combat/predator trials after I'm done.

edit: Voted for Spelunky!

I actually think Batman moved at the same speed, they just made all the enemies way more aggressive which made moves like the ground pound far more risky than before. Your right though that something just didn't feel quite right about the combat.

Story was pretty well told though and does a great job of showing Batman's non-killing stance makes him just as nuts as the baddies he is fighting.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The color coded enemies kinda suck and the bosses aren't amazing,

So, you agree it's mediocre.

...JenniferLawerenceOKAY.gif

I had more fun fighting the canon fodder enemies in DMC4 than all of Donte must Cry. Which really says it all.

Alright SteamGAF, DmC or Dark Souls? I've watched a Let's Play of about half of Dark Souls and I still can't tell if I'd like it. The setting kinda turns me off of it.

Also Van Helsing is an option too, I suppose.

the game is only punishing if you don't play it properly.
when you get how the game works and pretends to be played,you are going to cruise through all the locations and bosses.

only problem of the game,is that it makes a miserable job at explain itself properly,be prepared to read a lot of wikipedia or a lot of posts in the game's thread,because the game doesn't explain them or explain them poorly

The appeal of the game is the massive open world that is full of atmosphere. It is about collecting awesome swords and armor. Fighting massive beasts/dragons/unspeakable creatures.

The game isn't as hard as people make it out to be. It just doesn't tell you much about what certain words mean like, "humanity" and "kindle"

Once you figure out the basic systems the game is a joy

It's more that most games treat you like a moron and spoon-feed you everything. Dark Souls respects your intelligence and demands your respect in kind.

Ok these are more convincing posts. I play Dota 2 so I'm used to reading a lot of guides/GAF posts in order to understand a game better. Still not totally sold yet
I'm scared
. Is Dark Souls multiplayer? Like, if I convinced a friend to buy it too could we play it together?

Piano

Banned
Finally was able to log into Steam...
...and it has erased all of my categories.

I'm desperately hoping they come back. I don't want to re-categorize 150 games.

Talents

Banned
Someone try to convince me that Dark Souls won't be an absolutely miserable experience. From what I've heard, the "appeal" of the game is that it's incredibly punishing and difficult, but very satisfying once you succeed. That sounds kinda like purposely giving yourself blue balls so it will feel really good once you get laid.

Difficulty is highly over rated imo. I only died a few times throughout the whole game.

TheSeks

Alright SteamGAF, DmC or Dark Souls? I've watched a Let's Play of about half of Dark Souls and I still can't tell if I'd like it. The setting kinda turns me off of it.

Dark Souls, easily. All day and night, Dark Souls.

Nakazato

I felt like that as well until I played it and it just clicked

Jonm1010

Banned
We'll I'm definitely getting DMC and Gone Home and am considering Van Helsing.

This may be the most games I've considered during one period this sale since I already own everything.

BearPawB

Banned

both are fun.
DMC is a fun game. Dark Souls is a GREAT game. The setting is the best thing about Dark Souls, but the game is fairly diverse, so if you didn't like one area you may prefer another.

What're the chances of Blood Dragon being on sale again? I regret passing on it for vanilla FC3, and while the $5 Amazon deal is tempting, I want my trading cards, dammit.

Sulik2

So what? It's a good story.

This is where we will have to agree to disagree. I know I am in the minority, but I hated the story. At least on Steam sale if people have the reaction I did it won't feel like quite as much of a ripoff. I laud them for trying something different, I just think they failed miserably at writing a compelling story.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
KOF, if you could just play nicely, I really, really, really, really don't fucking want to play the game with my Razor Hydra. So if you could just accept that and let me change to the controller I want to use for player 1, I'd really appreciate it. No? Oh. Okay. You can just reset the changes I've made every time I exit the options screen. That's cool too.

PC Gaming! Gotta love it!

Just realized The Swapper is the last game on my list of 2013 games to play that I haven't bought through a daily deal/flash sale. Not buying games all year has worked out well for me. Hopefully that will pop up soon. Meanwhile, I have a lot of good stuff to play over the next few days. I should be done with Papers, Please later today!

TheSeks

Bob Barbas was awesome. Probably the only good boss fight in the game, though.

I wouldn't say "good" per say. It was probably the highlight of the game for me, but that boss-fight is basically "platforming until you can get close enough to hit him. Rinse and repeat."

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I really hope everyone is buying Dark Souls or else devil day cry and he might just gone home.

You make me laugh my friend. I may not be able to get them this time around, but I expect I will in a future sale.

Also I was told that those on 50 pages per post might have missed it and I was asked to repost it, so here it is again. Original post with updated countdown here.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cook Serve Delicious -- MB-15122C720A1B42B0

t1388092439z1.png

Well does it have anything else? Puzzles? Something like branching dialog or hidden options like a western rpg would have to solve some situations? I've heard all you do in those games is walk around an empty world for a couple of hours.
Narrative? Mature, subtle storytelling? A good story?

Oreoleo

Ok these are more convincing posts. I play Dota 2 so I'm used to reading a lot of guides/GAF posts in order to understand a game better. Still not totally sold yet
I'm scared[/b]. Is Dark Souls multiplayer? Like, if I convinced a friend to buy it could we play it together?
Theres a mod called DSCFix that makes co-oping with a friend a breeze. Though the game isn't really designed with the intention of letting you play with someone the whole game. There's no lobbies or anything that's for sure. But Dark Souls is the best game of the last like 5 years and you should definitely get it.

Voted for Spelunky since it's the only one of those three that hasn't been on sale yet.

And because I've been waiting the entire sale for it to be discounted.

Glix

So... Metal Gear is going to sell really great and Platinum is going to port their entire back catalog to Steam.

Then Cave will do the same.

The Capcom will re-up their licencing deal with Marvel, and part of the deal will be porting MvC3 to Steam!

RIGHT?

RIGHT?

PLEASE?

EDIT - As a bonus Konami will also release old MGS's for Steam as well.

Alex

I'd say Dark Souls, from a personal standpoint, but you really don't sound like you want it. If you know everything it's about and it's still iffy and the setting is a turn off, maybe just pass.

DmC is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom