• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacho

I wish there was confirmation that GFWL would be removed from Dark Souls. Can't justify the purchase knowing it'll be a dead game in July.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Put Dante's face on Rihanna's body

now we're talkin

5O08a36.gif

Tizoc

A reminder of the giveaway I've made.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cook, Serve Delicious -- MB-AEDD9EDB7963C992

header_292x136.jpg

Castle of Illusion HD -- MB-FDC0B3F9404FA51B

t1388164664z1.png

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I wish there was confirmation that GFWL would be removed from Dark Souls. Can't justify the purchase knowing it'll be a dead game in July.

namco probably plans on being able to make money off DS in the long term so I can pretty much guarantee they will

hell, i'll paypal you the $6 if they don't and eat my crow

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Yeah it's one of the fine titles to have the always online DRM when it was released. I don't know if they ever went back and removed it.

They toned it down, you can play whilst offline, you just can't access your ark. Your ark being a persistent storage unit that allows you to hold and transfer a handful of items between games. I am actually yet to use it having played the story and one (very long and still running) continuous mode game though, so how major a thing it is I don't know. I hear "quite major" from long time fans however.

Edit: Further googling has led me to the conclusion that the game was never always online and was always just the loss-of-ark if you went offline. The TAGES DRM however still seems to be there. Some claim it's gone but the only sources I can find say they only removed GPU changes counting as new installs, any other hardware change counts as a new PC. Maybe, not sure, no one seems sure.

Talyn

urgh, still waiting on a discount on Call of Juarez GUnslinger, Mark of the Ninja and Deadly Premonition :(
Not sure if you already know this but Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is $4.99 over on Amazon right now and it includes a Steam key. Also, is Van Helsing worth it? It looks interesting.

Smash88

Banned
SO DUNGEON FUCKING KEEPER (THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME) AND INTERSTELLAR MARINES (AN INTERESTING CONCEPT) BOTH LOSE TO THIS POS GAME THAT'S BEEN IN EVERY BUNDLE SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME.

FUCK THIS STEAM COMMUNITY, YOU DISGUST ME!

NeoGAF, you guys/gals are pretty dope though.

AaronB

I'd have to agree with the people who said the story in "Gone Home" is rather overrated - if you isolate the content of the story. In text form, the story wouldn't be anything that hasn't been done before. The way the story is told, however, is brilliant. The atmosphere, the voice acting, the flavor texts, and the design contribute a whole lot. This is how the video game medium can tell a story, and how the point-and-click adventure game can still be relevant. I'd say it's well worth experiencing for $5-7, though a lot of people feel the original $20 is too much for any 2 hour game.

Someone try to convince me that Dark Souls won't be an absolutely miserable experience. From what I've heard, the "appeal" of the game is that it's incredibly punishing and difficult, but very satisfying once you succeed. That sounds kinda like purposely giving yourself blue balls so it will feel really good once you get laid.
People oversell it on being difficult or putting hair on your chest or whatever and I honestly think that misrepresents it. It's just fairly unique in that it doesn't patronize the player in the way every other game out there does; you play a short tutorial section that gives you some straight to the point control pointers then it throws you out into a dangerous world. Not dangerous in the way the typical game is dangerous -- where you can just mash your way through combat and just tough out damage because you're the super amazing player character who was designed to have a significant amount of combat leeway -- it's dangerous in that combat is relatively simple, but requires patience because even the "trash mobs" can catch you off guard and have you respawning. People get in vicious cycles where they get to a certain point, get killed, then try to rush to that point again only to get killed even earlier; but once you get the right mindset nothing is too difficult.

Oh yay, got Dark Souls finally. Gonna have a lot of fun getting my ass kicked.

Bought Gone Home too. Interested in DmC too but I'll leave that one for later, got too much to play at the moment anyway.

Unepic I'll rather get for Wii U for off TV play when it comes.

Dark Souls is 2013's best game of another year. Easily. If anyone is on the fence I can personally assure you that it's one of the best games ever made and with Durante's (tm) fix it looks pretty nice!

I have Dark Souls for PS3 (never finished it) but how is it for PC? Any mods that allow you to find friends online? Fixed fps? Will it take advantage of newer hardware?

kris.

Banned
guys i got my pc rig built today. :3

sans video card cuz i cant afford that yet BUT AW YEA DEM ONBOARD GRAFFICS

masterkajo

On Dark Souls and GFWL (Games For Windows - Live).

- Dark Souls uses GFWL.
- GFWL will shut down coming July and the online aspect of Dark Souls might not work anymore.
- The developers might issue a patch to resolve this. Nothing is known so far.
- Still, should it be the case that the online won't work anymore, I strongly urge you to play the game NOW to at least experience it once with the online component intact. It will be well worth the $6.

I already own (and love) Dark Souls on PS3 but I'm still considering the PC version, hmmm.

60FPS in glorious 1080p+. No more laggy Blighttown. Think about it.

Zeknurn

They toned it down, you can play whilst offline, you just can't access your ark. Your ark being a persistent storage unit that allows you to hold and transfer a handful of items between games. I am actually yet to use it having played the story and one (very long and still running) continuous mode game though, so how major a thing it is I don't know. I hear "quite major" from long time fans however.

But does game boot you if your connection hick-ups?

So... Metal Gear is going to sell really great and Platinum is going to port their entire back catalog to Steam.

Then Cave will do the same.

The Capcom will re-up their licencing deal with Marvel, and part of the deal will be porting MvC3 to Steam!

RIGHT?

RIGHT?

PLEASE?

EDIT - As a bonus Konami will also release old MGS's for Steam as well.
Don't forget Okami HD, MvC2 HD, Darkstalkers Resurrection and Third Strike: OE.

Deadstar

I have Dark Souls for PS3 (never finished it) but how is it for PC? Any mods that allow you to find friends online? Fixed fps? Will it take advantage of newer hardware?

I only used Durante's fix for the graphics. It looks INCREDIBLE with everything bumped up. I didn't remember if there were any fps issues, I don't think so. I can't speak to anything else. I played through the game on PS3 and played through the dlc on pc.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is there a way to get a Steam code from an item in your inventory? I have a few games for gifting, but I don't know how to get codes out of them. I tried sending them to my e-mail address, but that didn't seem to work.

C4rter

Do it. The game is from a Spanish developer. The spanish voice acting alone is worth the price in my opinion. I'm having lots of fun with it. And the single player mode is 100% done, only the multiplayer is still in development.

Isn't the manual map description annoying as hell?
I really want to get it but the really similar levels and the map function are putting me off.

Arthea

SO DUNGEON FUCKING KEEPER (THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME) AND INTERSTELLAR MARINES (AN INTERESTING CONCEPT) BOTH LOSE TO THIS POS GAME THAT'S BEEN IN EVERY BUNDLE SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME.

This one surprised me too, even if I await only backstabbing from steam community.

I'm seriously pissed off. I haven't been able to play Max Payne 3 for days now. "Failed to contact key server". Fuck additional DRM. Fuck it to hell.

AHA-Lambda

Not sure if you already know this but Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is $4.99 over on Amazon right now and it includes a Steam key. Also, is Van Helsing worth it? It looks interesting.

I don't want to buy anything from amazon US after hearing about people's amazon accounts getting locked for buying digital goods cross region, from the last thanksgiving sale.

I'd have to agree with the people who said the story in "Gone Home" is rather overrated - if you isolate the content of the story. In text form, the story wouldn't be anything that hasn't been done before. The way the story is told, however, is brilliant. The atmosphere, the voice acting, the flavor texts, and the design contribute a whole lot. This is how the video game medium can tell a story, and how the point-and-click adventure game can still be relevant. I'd say it's well worth experiencing for $5-7, though a lot of people feel the original $20 is too much for any 2 hour game.
You always have this discussion about certain games. Take Dear Esther for instance. I paid the launch price of 10 bucks for it and lots of people called me crazy. You paid ten bucks for a 2 hour mod that can be played for free was something I heard a lot after recommending it to people.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Don't blame the Steam community for not voting for a game that is a thesaurus away from being called "Space Marines." No matter how interesting you think the concept is. And nobody voted against Dungeon Keeper, they voted against War for the Overworld, a game that looks like a dungeon keeper knockoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom