• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFrza

Any of you guys Pinball FX junkies?

I'm looking to friend up with some peeps so I can have more leaderboard competition.

You can add me. I won't say I'm really good, but I do play often. My steam Id id my username here.

I actually drilled holes on the side of my fightstick

Well I just checked my Steam Sales Stats after that flash sale and HOLY CRAP WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Q7ytzsz.gif

Tellaerin

Thank you redfirm but I'm giving away those games since I'm not interested in. Hope someone else appreciates them more.

Thanks for The Bard's Tale, Krusenstern. Coming home to find I'd won mitigates some of my annoyance at discovering that $10 of trade-in credit I'd had at Gamestop has apparently disappeared into the void. >_<

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Happy Horror Holidays! The giveaway of mine ends in about four hours, but I thought I might take some time to leave some impressions of the horror titles available here. While a few more people enter into the raffle, here's some brief impressions I have for all of the games.

ModBot said:
[Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 21 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Its a free for all, so you can enter into as many as you'd like, but keep in mind the contest won't allow you to win more than one. But make sure to enter each code individually in separate PMs, as putting more than one code in a single PM counts you as greedy and disqualifies you from the contest (can include the title or not, but must include the MB code part). Title for the PM can be anything, but know not to include the word register, or else it'll think you're trying to make a contest of your own.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Alone in the Dark 5 -- MB-CC4DB3157AC557A1

Alone in the Dark 5 (also known as Alone in the Dark, and Alone in the Dark: Infernal) is probably one of the most b-horror horror games you'll ever play. I wouldn't say the game is great or even good, but I had a lot of fun with it. It basically roles into so bad its good territory, with some of the cheesiest dialogue and humorous voice acting I've heard in ages ([in the worst impersonation of a surfer dudebro voice ever] "I'm the FUCKING UNIVERSE!"), an episodic structure with some of the most varied gameplay I have seen in a horror game (you'll do everything from exploring a big open hub-world, driving taxi cars through earthquakes, solving puzzles involving mixing items to forklifts, fighting off demons with burning chairs, scaling buildings with a tight rope, performing CPR in QTE fashion on a dying person, going through cinematic story moments that suddenly is attempting to be super artsy in first-person, and more.) The funny thing is that it did a lot of things that would later be popular in big AAA games way before they became popular, but it does it all so flawed. However, its good for a few good laughs, some surprising cleverness and fun between janky moments, and probably the purest form of B-horror caught in a video game ever.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Resident Evil Revelations -- MB-556C291ACA777296

Resident Evil Revelations is Capcom's self-proclaimed 'Returning to survival horror roots!' Resident Evil game. And while its not quite that unfortunately, it is a more horror-esque adventure than anything since Resident Evil 4. Originaly a 3DS title, the HD port is actually really well done, lots of touch-ups in graphics, controls, content, while still keeping what made the original game good, and working off strengths of the PC platform in places on the PC version as well. The story is convoluted and silly, and some of the handheld nature of the game creeps up in how enemies react to beng shot (they react, but differently than you might imagine them too at first), but this is a pretty good attempt to combine some of the elements of older Resident Evils with newer, and sustains a pretty good campaign with an even better addictive side mode in Raid Mode (think of it like Resident Evil Mercenaries meets Monster Hunter, and it has 2-player co-op online). Its not a pure return to survival-horror, but is a good game in its own right that does blend some of the newer and older Resident Evil elements nicely, but not quite perfectly yet.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Resident Evil 6 -- MB-9F32FE086DB0B43D

A serious love it/hate it game. I happen to be on the side that likes it, its definitely not the best Resident Evil game, but it is quite the co-op experience. It has a lot of content (a 20-hour campaign matched with an extremely good Mercenaries Mode, plus a sort of throw-away but good for a few laughs mode where you invade other peoples games as monsters). However, simply put, the game does not know what it wants to be. At its best, its a grab-bag of ideas that can be a riot with a friend backed-up with some very surprisingly confident combat mechanics that gives vibes of Vanquish (the Platinum game) littered with some actually fun and interesting gameplay scenarios here and again. At its worst, its a garbled mess of ideas that sinks to some really badly designed sections that doesn't explain its controls and mechanics well enough and can feel rather dull. You'll do everything from going through neighborhoods experiencing zombie outbreaks, going through almost Mirror's Edge looking environments performing stealth while half-naked, flying a plane over the ocean Ace Combat-style, and a ton of other ideas. Everyone seems to have a different idea of what part of the campaign is the best and worst parts, so see if you'll join the camp who loves it or hates it.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Slender The Arrival -- MB-E0478057FA525AA5

This is actually my personal favorite 'Slender' game to exist, but not everyone agrees. Made by the two people who made Slender Man who he is today (the guy who made Slender: Eight Pages and the people who made the Marble Hornets video series), this is basically Slender if he was in a more cinematic type adventure. The game switches isn't very long (about 2-4 hours), but provides a good variety of different scenarios to keep things fresh and interesting. There's even a few secrets in the game that are totally worth your time to uncover (try finding the secret level hidden in the first level of the game, its the scariest part!). Love him or hate him, this game provides a different take on Slender games that is backed by production values that makes it different than any other Slender game out there.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Cold Fear -- MB-1F8A969EAC205B5A

This game was one of the last B-Horror Clone Games to be released on consoles. Best described as a mixture between old Resident Evil games, Resident Evil 4 (Lite), and The Thing set on a boat. It came out a few months after Resident Evil 4 released, but its influence shows. The game has fixed camera-angles like old horror games, though when you aim your gun and in certain gameplay segments it goes behind-the-shoulder ala' Resident Evil 4. I refer to it as Resident Evil 4 Lite as its combat and pacing are nothing near the leagues of RE4, but it is an interesting take that has some good horror/action mix, some good variety, and I enjoyed my time with. There are a few frustrations in the game, that mainly come off one or two enemies that are a bit too cheap for their own good and a strange saving system that sometimes will not make you save the game for great lengths at a time, but it has a lot of heart and some surprisingly good elements mixed in as well. If you liked those old PS2/PS1/Dreamcast/whatever horror games that weren't wholly original, but interesting spins on familiar ideas that also have elements to be their own thing, I'd definitely suggest this one. A note though, if the game crashes when you try launching it, go to the Steamapps Common folder and delete res.bin, for some reason that file sometimes glitches and tries launching the game in some really weird resolution that makes the game crash.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Contagion -- MB-1195067D8E9A2FB5

Still in development (early access and all that), this is a multiplayer zombie game that is made by the people who made Zombie Panic, and aims to be a more in-depth realization of the mod in full game form. Think of it sort of like a zombie-survival simulator to better describe it, as its focused on trying to make a more realistic zombie scenario with people turning to zombies, limited supplies, barricading or being on the move to survive, and the like. It also has more game-y modes, and of course, the ability to play as either human or zombie, and the struggle between them. It still is rough, but updates regularly and full of a lot of promise and some good times to be had already.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Outlast -- MB-28CDCF6834924FC2

Imagine this one as Amnesia meets Mirror's Edge. You have a defenseless character who also happens to be rather good at parkouring. This game is scary, but maybe not as scary as the developers think it is (though it has wonderful atmosphere at the beginning and several middle places throughout). You hold a camera that has some of the worst battery life in the world to see in the dark, hide and run from enemies, and uncover what's the truth of what's going on here. Story is unfortunately disappointing, but there is some good tense fun to be had here. A warning though, this game is stuffed-full of male nudity.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Montagues Mount -- MB-090423D435F6E880

This is one of those exploration story games in first-person, though notably this game has a lot of puzzles as well, and some of them are actually rather brain teasing. I think the best thing about the game is its atmosphere and music though, the island that the game takes place on has a lot of scraps of previous people who stayed here, ship wrecks on this uncharted island, and a strange feeling of isolation but also comfort from things that seem very human. I won't say too much more, its not some huge surprise hit like Gone Home for example, but if you want a sort of first-person exploration story game with far stronger puzzle elements, this may be something you'll enjoy.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army -- MB-6FA4BC5E3F1B0FF4

I actually enjoyed my time with this game. I will admit I was initially a bit off-put by the nazi zombie theme (how often have we seen that in the last few years?), and the appearance that it was a cheap cash-in on Sniper Elite V2's engine (and in some ways, it is), but it actually is a fun little romp with some nice varied stages (five in total), good variety of weapons, and some fun enemies thrown into the mix. Strategizing with friends, just having a good time finding that perfect sniping spot to pick off zombies, aiming for high-point shots (judged by distance, where you shot them, with what weapon, etc.), and then it all crumbling down sometimes as you all get swarmed and have to struggle to survive... It's not super-lengthy, and the ending did disappoint me, but I had a good time with it, and can be a blast with friends.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Dementium II HD -- MB-D0F3FF3C2883523E

This was a Nintendo DS horror game that has now been converted to a PC form. The game's handheld nature still shows, and its definitely an action-heavy title, but it's a pretty solid effort that feels like something like a mix between Doom and Silent Hill. Combat is simplistic, the music is of Silent HIll 1-level quality, but the developers keep things varied, introducing new enemies and weapons and stages and mechanics until about the last fifth of the game. Story is about 5-6 hours long, and if you like some of that 90s horror, this may be up your alley. Just know its a sort of flawed experience with a lot of small team developer charm.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Shattered Haven -- MB-51B8ED8E2DF82CC0

I haven't actually played this title, so I unfortunately don't have much to say about it. Know its a retro-style game with a story.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Deadly Premonition Directors Cut -- MB-68971ADCE5C11FD2

Deadly Premonition is best described as Resident Evil 4 meets Shenmue, with Twin Peaks and Silent Hill overtones, and a whole lot more jank. It has a story and cast of characters that are unforgettable, and that is somehow both intentionally and unintentionally funny at the same time. It has flaws, and they'll be obvious from the start of the game, but the game has a lot of heart, and some strange fun to be had in the 15-20 or so hours it takes to beat the game's campaign, with an easily added 20 hours if you do the game's side-quest (which you should do, as they're actually quite fun and provide more story cutscenes and more world-building). The last three hours are unforgettable, and by the end you may have a hard time saying bye to York and the town of Greenvale. A cult classic for a reason.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth -- MB-D3D6E358BB218E0F

The best Lovecraft-based game in my opinion. This game is a bit of a slow-burn, it starts and goes pretty slowly, but as it goes, it also becomes progressively more interesting, more gripping, and more tense as things develop, which is all very appropriate for a Lovecraft game. The narrative is very well done, taking from Lovecraft's works but also with its own original twists and tale. The game is hard and unforgiving, but also that helps the harshness that our character goes through be felt. There's some parts that are cheap in a sort of trial-and-error way, but it is definitely worth experiencing as a fan of Lovecraft's works or horror games in general. I will add I suggest you use this mod for the game, as it makes the game look prettier and fixes a couple possible game-breaking bugs and makes the trial-and-error sections less trial and error: http://steamcommunity.com/app/22340/discussions/0/882965239933238214/

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Clive Barkers Jericho -- MB-2C85966ABB6A8A13

Haven't played this one yet, so no proper opinion. I know its supposed to not be as good as his first horror game, but an enjoyable yet more flawed look into the twisted mind of horror that Clive Barker has.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

How to Survive -- MB-BCBC402424139868

This game is in early access, and sits in a like it/dislike it position where some find its current build to be boring and just not very fun, and others find it to be an interesting co-op survival game. All you really do in it is survive, make sure you have food, a place to be safe, fight off enemies... Whether the idea of surviving entices you or not is up on an individual basis.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

King of Fighters XIII -- MB-DAE38D2801DC4A1D

Haven't played it, but heard very good things for this fighting game.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Long Live the Queen -- MB-F31EC9CD9E652DE7

Think of it like a visual novel meets a strategy RPG with a Moe-appearance and brutal deaths scenes. You need to raise your skills to survive until you acquire your kingdom from your deceased mother. However, other people want the throne and are out to assassinate you. Fight for your right to be queen, and the strange addictiveness that comes with harsh conditions.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Alone in the Dark New Nightmare -- MB-BD6C635442DDABA1

Basically an old Resident Evil clone, with fixed camera angles, two different characters with two very different stories and locations they go, but intermingle from time to time, limited supplies, enemies maybe best avoided at times, and some hammy acting and plot veiled with mystery. If this is your type of thing, this is worth checking out.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Blood of the Werewolf -- MB-5C0876AD8D0D6897

Haven't played it, but heard its a good horror-themed platformer.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Teleglitch Die More Edition -- MB-A47A57C40EF55A16

All I have to say is, survive. Its graphics are simple, but its tense, and difficult rouge-like, but very rewarding feeling and fun.

ModBot said:
header_292x136.jpg

Anna Extended Edition -- MB-3125E13C7A8D8C64

This game has one of the weirdest soundtracks you'll ever hear for a horror game (vocal pop), but it does have some pretty good atmosphere at points, and a puzzle focus. Extended Edition added a lot of new content. Try your best to survive a surreal house, solve its riddles, and find the person you love trapped deep within its walls! Multiple endings, and strange surrealism to enjoy.

ModBot said:

I'm thinking about picking up Kayne and Lynch Dead Men. I loved the second one. *shrug* Its currently 60% off at $2.79. What's the odds it will go lower this sale?

inm8num2

Repost.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fable -- MB-410626E0DF3234DA - Taken by TronLight. 31 entrants total.

t1388097525z1.png

Has anyone given UnEpic a spin? Trailer looks good, but metascore is so oddly...low.

If Kane and Lynch goes lower, it`ll probably be in a SquareSoft bundle. K&L 2 is way better, imo.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Happy Horror Holidays! The giveaway of mine ends in about four hours, but I thought I might take some time to leave some impressions of the horror titles available here. While a few more people enter into the raffle, here's some brief impressions I have for all of the games.

Mother of giveaways.

Amzin

Has anyone given UnEpic a spin? Trailer looks good, but metascore is so oddly...low.

There was some positive notes about it in this thread when it hit the flash sale. Lots saying to play it in Spanish if you speak Spanish. Also there's a demo I think.

Wookieomg

Guys is there a difference in Kentucky Route Zero Complete on Amazon, versus the regular Kentucky Route Zero on Humble Bundle?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLVM01E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

vs.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

Wanting to pull the trigger at that price, but doesn't seem to be a visible difference...

P.S. Going to do a giveaway soon, are all the instructions I need at the beginning of the thread? Never done a modbot giveaway before so I don't wanna fuck it up lol.

Guys is there a difference in Kentucky Route Zero Complete on Amazon, versus the regular Kentucky Route Zero on Humble Bundle?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLVM01E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

vs.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

Wanting to pull the trigger at that price, but doesn't seem to be a visible difference...

P.S. Going to do a giveaway soon, are all the instructions I need at the beginning of the thread? Never done a modbot giveaway before so I don't wanna fuck it up lol.

yes the instructions at the beginning is pretty much everything you need to know

there's also a animated gif/jpeg/whatever it is too if you're still unsure

Snowdrift

Spelunky! Really hope this wins the vote. That Polygon feature got me excited for this game. Is the game better with a controller or keyboard?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know the procedure to extract the Steam keys out of games in your inventory? I prefer to give away the keys instead of linking to the Gift email.

Turfster

guys is it ok to have like 4 games open at once when idling for cards
i have A.R.E.S., Bit trip runner,DLC quest, and System Shock 2 open
Basic drop rate is a card every 20 minutes.
The more games you have open at the same time, the longer it takes between drops.

Does anyone know the procedure to extract the Steam keys out of games in your inventory? I prefer to give away the keys instead of linking to the Gift email.

You can't. People will click on the link, and they'll be added to your friends list and Steam will gift the game to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom