• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crozier

I think the reason they have such bad Q&A is because of how selective they are at Valve with who they hire, and the free work range system they have set-up. People work what they want to work, and hired usually partially for ambition, and as such there probably aren't many people enthusiastic to handle customer service.

That said, why did you want a refund? Unless the game is a literal scam, you probably won't by their terms of service.
I haven't been able to play it since release. I gave the developers a month to fix their product, and it still has game-breaking bugs. I'm done trying restarting, downloading saved games, etc trying to get this piece of crap to run properly. I've played alpha builds that were more stable than X-Rebirth.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Assassin's Creed IV for $34.99 on Amazon a good deal? Is it likely to be any cheaper on Steam?

Nope. 3 and Revelations were only 25% off during the Winter Sales of their respective release years so it would be very surprising if Ubi opted for a discount greater than 42%.

My first giveaway. Hope everything is done right. If not, mock and kick my ass.

Origin keys.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last month, you are not eligible for this.
giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dead Space -- MB-2ACF13DA50976BE7 - Taken by Spirited
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition -- MB-EB8413023FDBDA15
Medal of Honor -- MB-0A5ED6478CCA4F9B - Taken by Jenenser
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box -- MB-C03D4FC185ADD058
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 -- MB-09266F17C58DF62F
Mirrors Edge -- MB-76A9524B2A755BCD

t1388114580z1.png

kafiend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=15wIdk_lzwk#t=495

That avoids something interesting in the beginning that might get spoiled... but shows you some of what gameplay looks like... finding mace, etc.

It's also highly detailed in that a mace smashes barrels better than a sword, sword does more damage to most creatures, etc.

UnEpic is great, I guess the only reason its in Early Access is because of the multi player being worked on. The devs say the single player part is 100% done. I put hours and hours into it when it was available via the Desura client.
My only mild negative thought on the game was the swearing, I didn't think it fitted very well with the gameplay. But that's just me, the actual game itself is really good and fully playable/enjoyable. I think there is a age restricted mode which will protect my poor virginal eyes.
I bought the swearing the game contains up in the Indie thread in the summer and according to people that know this stuff (Spanish folks :p) its because it's directly translated from the rather colourful Spanish. Which I guess is why I see people in here saying play it in Spanish it's hilarious.

Anyway, buying it now is a great idea and the only downside I can see is that it might make you think other Early Access games are all the poorer after playing UnEpic

demonkaze

So Gaf, Lost Planet 3, worth it or not? I enjoyed the first game I guess and the second wasn't completely horrible despite the huge focus on multiplayer but Spark scares me away from this.

Caerith

I love cheap games as much as the next guy, but Valve's HORRIBLE customer-service is seriously making me question whether I want to continue supporting the Wal-Mart of videogames.

For over three weeks now I've been trying to get a refund for X-Rebirth, and customer service either flat out lies to me or ignores me altogether. For over a week I've asked to speak with a manager and the ticket simply gets closed. Over and over and over. Checked the 'BBB' and they've got an 'F' ranking. Not...surprising. This is easily the worst (no exaggeration) customer service experience I've ever had.

Valve gets an F ranking with the BBB because the BBB only exists for people to call and bitch about stuff.

But if you want to talk about WalMarts, lately Amazon's customer service has been downright embarrassing.

I think the reason they have such bad Q&A is because of how selective they are at Valve with who they hire, and the free work range system they have set-up. People work what they want to work, and hired usually partially for ambition, and as such there probably aren't many people enthusiastic to handle customer service.

That said, why did you want a refund? Unless the game is a literal scam, you probably won't by their terms of service.
I think you're absolutely right. The "no bosses" thing is nice and all for the creativity side, but every sale has price errors and support takes a week because everybody just wants to work on Ricochet 2.

Asparagus

I finally purchased Dark Souls having watched a hell of a lot of Jeff Green's stream. I'm having major problems getting it to recognise my password for whatever reason though (it is correct, I can login to my hotmail account). Grabbing another GFWL game to see if its just Dark Souls playing up.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Nope. 3 and Revelations were only 25% off during the Winter Sales of their respective release years so it would be very surprising if Ubi opted for a discount greater than 42%.

Cool, thanks. It says it is the Steam version but I'm guessing it still makes you through some form of U-Play authentication?

I picked up SOTS: The Pit a few days back and after playing it a few times, I'm enjoying it a lot, especially since it works well with a controller and on my HDTV.

Anyways, can anyone give me some tips on how to make some progress in this game? I feel like I pretty much tap out on level nine or ten with either low health or ammo, even when I'm trying to knife most easy guys and avoid using medkits until way later. Will finding more recipes or weapons plans help my later runs? I just wonder how one gets better at this game since nothing really carries over as far as I can tell. Any strategy advice would be appreciated!

I finally purchased Dark Souls having watched a hell of a lot of Jeff Green's stream. I'm having major problems getting it to recognise my password for whatever reason though (it is correct, I can login to my hotmail account). Grabbing another GFWL game to see if its just Dark Souls playing up.

We need an equally vicious Dark Souls type gif that encapsulates the heartbreak of GFWL.

komorebi

Do you have your Microsoft accounts (hotmail, outlook, XBL, etc) set to have a two-step verification? Cause they made me do all this shit where I have to use uniquely generated passwords to login to both my 360 and GFWL. I literally just did this again yesterday when I installed Fallout 3 GOTY.

FauX

I have 7/10 snow globes. I shouldn't expect more than that right? I mean, I will have to lure the rest of them from the marketplace, cause I will get repeated ones, right?

Wookieomg

Hey guys, is there a way to send gifts from Humble these days? I noticed earlier that the Gift icon to the right of Steam redemption is no longer there. But I do see that you can opt to be sent a gift code before purchasing... Checked the Modbot giveaway instructions page to no avail.

Anyone? I want to give people free games. :(

Smash88

Banned
I love cheap games as much as the next guy, but Valve's HORRIBLE customer-service is seriously making me question whether I want to continue supporting the Wal-Mart of videogames.

For over three weeks now I've been trying to get a refund for X-Rebirth, and customer service either flat out lies to me or ignores me altogether. For over a week I've asked to speak with a manager and the ticket simply gets closed. Over and over and over. Checked the 'BBB' and they've got an 'F' ranking. Not...surprising. This is easily the worst (no exaggeration) customer service experience I've ever had.

You realize the BBB is a scam right? You can pay money to have an A ranking. If you use BBB to rank how a corporation is you are truly ignorant. Not to mention that Steam rarely if ever gives out refunds. You are lucky if they give a one time refund - if you used that up, well you are shit out of luck.

I'm not saying Steam is in the right with how they handle customer-service, but you can't just use BBB and a strict refund policy that Steam is known for.

X-Rebirth is terrible, it has been known for a long time now. When did you buy it?

crozier

Valve gets an F ranking with the BBB because the BBB only exists for people to call and bitch about stuff.

But if you want to talk about WalMarts, lately Amazon's customer service has been downright embarrassing.
Valve has an 'F' because they literally do not care about resolving customer complaints. From what I've seen, an 'F' is absolutely valid.

With my attempts to get an X-Rebirth refund, what makes it especially maddening, is that they have given refunds arbitrarily to some people but not others. Why, I don't know. The Steam forums have "how to get a refund" guides, but none of the tactics seem to have worked for me. I also used the word "shit" and "bullshit" in my last post to them about 15 minutes ago, so I don't see things getting better for me in the short or long term. I am super, super pissed.

Also:

Amazon has an A+ with the BBB. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but it's not the usual.

Smash88 said:
X-Rebirth is terrible, it has been known for a long time now. When did you buy it?
I had it preordered. I knew it was broken at release but decided to give the devs a month to fix it. It's still broken and there's no end in sight.

-Deimos

These are probably already redeemed but I'll post them here in case they work.
crysis 2 max ed
W0ARI-8QBRX-5BFV6

MOH
J0B4W-XB0R3-2X9AZ

Mirrors edge
0JIGP-VIHW2-N2X3A

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You realize the BBB is a scam right? You can pay money to have an A ranking. If you use BBB to rank how a corporation is you are truly ignorant. Not to mention that Steam rarely if ever gives out refunds. You are lucky if they give a one time refund - if you used that up, well you are shit out of luck.

Valve will always refund pre-orders as keys aren't tied to your account until the game has unlocked. For refunds post-release you're paddling up shit creek unless you're joined in unison by many others (e.g. The War Z) or Valve's legally obligated to offer a refund in accordance with the law of your territory.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is there any chance of the original Gears of War ever coming to steam? or is that now unplayable since GFWL is dead?

Smash88

Banned
Valve will always refund pre-orders as keys aren't tied to your account until the game has unlocked. For refunds post-release you're paddling up shit creek unless you're joined in unison by many others (e.g. The War Z) or Valve's legally obligated to offer a refund in accordance with the law of your territory.

Yup, but this doesn't seem to be a pre-order case. I was wondering whether to address that.

And territory laws do apply. So if you are in Europe, you have a better chance than in North America.

Huge backlog, so I have just bought Dead Space 2 for the wife and Bastion for myself.

She loved the first one on the PS3 but I had to buy a special controller with a mouse. I bought Dead Space 2 on the PS3 but the shit controller died quickly. My laptop can handle Dead Space 2 so I thought it was better to buy it on PC, got it at $5 on a flash sale, runs great at high settings.

Wookieomg

The little package icon is still there for me for things I haven't generated a gift link for yet. Once you click it, the center but changes into a "Give this link to a friend" and the package icon disappears.

Interesting... Were you logged into your Humble account when you saw the Gift icon? I'm thinking because I was logged in, it wasn't showing up for me. Ugh. :(

If i wanted to make a trade for a game on sale on steam (1 game for 1 or two of mine), do I go to this thread, or is the the buy/sell/trade thread a better place?

edit: might have answered my own question here, but B/S/T seems a little intimidating for me

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Is there any chance of the original Gears of War ever coming to steam? or is that now unplayable since GFWL is dead?

Is not coming to steam as far as I know and you can always play a GFWL if you use an offline profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom